[Released] IBL Master - Image Based Lighting control for both renderers & a new IBL for 3Delight

Comments

• ParrisParris Posts: 392
    RAMWolff said:
    Parris said:
    RAMWolff said:

So ran a few tests and I can't seem to get my set up so my figure looks like she's on the ground.  Any advice of which component to translate to make that happen? 

Also, WTH.... there are two file and both are so small I kept thinking "this can't be it" but it is and all bits seems functional. 

I think there is a little bit of confusion... is there a script to enable the extra lights for what ever environment your in (3DL or iRAY)?  I found by turning them ALL on by hand for 3DL it washed my scene out pretty badly so if there are lighting controls to turn down intensity or what ever.... I know, read the read me..... lol

You should move IBL Master Control to get the ground plain shadow where you want it. This is because Iray doesn't really have a functional way to move the ground plain independently of the environment dome. Though I might be able to offer more help if you show me a picture of the viewport, the Render Settings tab, and a render.

Yes, the two install packages you need for this product are tiny downloads.

Why would you turn them all on. Eeek! You don't have to go hunting for the ReadMe though. I've put specific step by step instructions on plane props in the same directory that you load IBL Master from. One of them is specifically devoted to Boost Lights. Just double click to load the instructions and read them in the viewport.

Yes sir, sorry sir.  :-)

NP. laugh

• Hate to sound like a complete noob, but I got this set b/c you sold me on fast and 3DL and use stuff I already had LOL.  I can't find the instructions that are mentioned.  This is why I hate the IM b/c I can't find stuff like I used to in true zip files.  Anywho.  How do I find the instructions, please.  If you can give me the file name I can probably just search for it.  Thanks.  Can't wait to try this!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501

...so been referred here, For 3DL does this require use of an HDR envvironment (most of which are UE based) or will it work with full geometry sets, skydomes, as well as AoAs Distant and Spotlights?

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,874

So IBL Master solves a bug with UE2... but we have to add UE2 bounce light still, right?

Hate to sound like a complete noob, but I got this set b/c you sold me on fast and 3DL and use stuff I already had LOL.  I can't find the instructions that are mentioned.  This is why I hate the IM b/c I can't find stuff like I used to in true zip files.  Anywho.  How do I find the instructions, please.  If you can give me the file name I can probably just search for it.  Thanks.  Can't wait to try this!

Got you. Finding the intructions is a problem for a lot of folks. That's why I've put the instructions on 3 plane props that you can load into the viewport to read. You can find them in the same place that you load IBL Master from ( in My Library > Props > Parris > IBL Master). I got the idea from ThePhilosopher.

Oso3D said:

So IBL Master solves a bug with UE2... but we have to add UE2 bounce light still, right?

Depends. Did you see my answer to your questions on page 4 of this thread?

• Parris said:

Hi Parris,

I have been trying out some 3delight renders but do not appear to have all the IBLMLight settings as your enclosed instructions suggest. Any ideas?

I am using an iMac, and did a manual install with no problem. There were 3 files as shown in the copy from my account download page.

The first folder contained identical files to the second download of (1 of 2)    ? Not sure why it was there.

The remaining folder (2 of 2) contained some scripts and shaders Daz Studio 4.5;4 private build and public build. ? Not sure where these had to go. I placed them in my script and shaders folders, but they don't appear to belong there.

Any advice would be welcome.

smiley

The Iray functions are all working perfectly.

Thank you for the details and screeshots. Very helpful. Yes, Daz Studio is clearly not finding the 3DL IBL shader files which are in the package labeled (2 of 2). Daz needs to remove that extra package, I think. Doesn't Daz provide you with a way to have the files installed to the proper directories for your iMac installation of Daz Studio, like the Mac version of Install Manager?

Manually on a PC, if you are using Daz Studio 4.10, there are four files that go in Program Files > DAZ 3D > scripts > support > ShaderBuilder > Light, and one that goes in Program Files > DAZ 3D > DazStudio4 > shaders > ShaderBuilder > Light.

Please let me know if this helps. I will alert Daz if this seems to be a Mac issue.

Hi Parris,

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

There is a Mac installer, but I always do a manual install of files so I know where everything goes and can subsequently be found.

I was not aware that the items in folder (2 of 2) had to go into the main program directory, and thanks to your instructions, I have now placed them all correctly, and all the IBMLight settings for 3delight are showing exactly as your instructions show. So the problem was of my own creation. frown (sorry)

This is a brilliant product, and I left a comment to that effect earlier in the appreciation thread that is currently running in the Commons forum.

My kindest regards, and wishing you and your family a very happy new year.

smiley

Parris said:

Hi Parris,

I have been trying out some 3delight renders but do not appear to have all the IBLMLight settings as your enclosed instructions suggest. Any ideas?

I am using an iMac, and did a manual install with no problem. There were 3 files as shown in the copy from my account download page.

The first folder contained identical files to the second download of (1 of 2)    ? Not sure why it was there.

The remaining folder (2 of 2) contained some scripts and shaders Daz Studio 4.5;4 private build and public build. ? Not sure where these had to go. I placed them in my script and shaders folders, but they don't appear to belong there.

Any advice would be welcome.

smiley

The Iray functions are all working perfectly.

Thank you for the details and screeshots. Very helpful. Yes, Daz Studio is clearly not finding the 3DL IBL shader files which are in the package labeled (2 of 2). Daz needs to remove that extra package, I think. Doesn't Daz provide you with a way to have the files installed to the proper directories for your iMac installation of Daz Studio, like the Mac version of Install Manager?

Manually on a PC, if you are using Daz Studio 4.10, there are four files that go in Program Files > DAZ 3D > scripts > support > ShaderBuilder > Light, and one that goes in Program Files > DAZ 3D > DazStudio4 > shaders > ShaderBuilder > Light.

Please let me know if this helps. I will alert Daz if this seems to be a Mac issue.

Hi Parris,

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

There is a Mac installer, but I always do a manual install of files so I know where everything goes and can subsequently be found.

I was not aware that the items in folder (2 of 2) had to go into the main program directory, and thanks to your instructions, I have now placed them all correctly, and all the IBMLight settings for 3delight are showing exactly as your instructions show. So the problem was of my own creation. frown (sorry)

This is a brilliant product, and I left a comment to that effect earlier in the appreciation thread that is currently running in the Commons forum.

My kindest regards, and wishing you and your family a very happy new year.

smiley

Wow, thank you! Appreciation thread sounds cool. I'll see if I can find it.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,561
    Parris said:

You can always load a JPEG if you want to. But I don't think there is a good way to modify one to get high dynamic range out of it.

Actually, I've been devloping algorithms to do just that. Don't want to get too OT here, but in some ways they are superior to traditional HDRI (ease of creation/editing, lack of noise, etc.). The only lightsource in these images is an HDRI created from standard 8-bit images (3 from stitched screencaps I took in game, and the other from stitched photos I took myself in the woods):

While I've got you here, one thing that has always bugged me about HDRI in Iray is the amount of light they throw on objects in the scene compared to how bright the BG is rendered. When using your product with 3DL, can these 2 things be controlled independently?

- Greg

edited December 2017
    Parris said:

You can always load a JPEG if you want to. But I don't think there is a good way to modify one to get high dynamic range out of it.

Actually, I've been devloping algorithms to do just that. Don't want to get too OT here, but in some ways they are superior to traditional HDRI (ease of creation/editing, lack of noise, etc.). The only lightsource in these images is an HDRI created from standard 8-bit images (3 from stitched screencaps I took in game, and the other from stitched photos I took myself in the woods):

While I've got you here, one thing that has always bugged me about HDRI in Iray is the amount of light they throw on objects in the scene compared to how bright the BG is rendered. When using your product with 3DL, can these 2 things be controlled independently?

- Greg

Wow, really cool. I didn't know you could do that. Awesome!

Yes, I address that problem specifically. Please see the first posts and store page for details as I'm running out of breath.smiley

Post edited by Parris on
    Parris said:
    Parris said:

- Greg

Yes, I address that problem specifically. Please see the first posts and store page for details as I'm running out of breath.smiley

Thanks for getting back so quickly, and sorry I missed that . . . sold!

- Greg

ETA: I am so looking forward to being able to render animals with my own custom designed hairs in HDRI environments in 3DL!

Parris said:
    Parris said:

- Greg

- Greg

ETA: I am so looking forward to being able to render animals with my own custom designed hairs in HDRI environments in 3DL!

Holy !@#$%^&, yes. I would love to see what you end up doing.

• Parris said:

Hate to sound like a complete noob, but I got this set b/c you sold me on fast and 3DL and use stuff I already had LOL.  I can't find the instructions that are mentioned.  This is why I hate the IM b/c I can't find stuff like I used to in true zip files.  Anywho.  How do I find the instructions, please.  If you can give me the file name I can probably just search for it.  Thanks.  Can't wait to try this!

Got you. Finding the intructions is a problem for a lot of folks. That's why I've put the instructions on 3 plane props that you can load into the viewport to read. You can find them in the same place that you load IBL Master from ( in My Library > Props > Parris > IBL Master). I got the idea from ThePhilosopher.

Thank you!  My directories are a bit off from everyone else's in part I think to how I had stuff set up in Daz 3.  I found them though.  Yay!  

Parris said:
    Parris said:
    Parris said:

- Greg

- Greg

Holy !@#$%^&, yes. I would love to see what you end up doing.

Yeah the catalyzer for LAMH did wonders for addressing the fact that Iray doesn't handle curves, but only works on AM's presets. I know I'm not the only person who will be all over this for that reeason alone.

Bought and DLed. Now I need to find some time to sneak away and play without landing myself in the doghouse lol.

Cheers!

- Greg

Oh, and I just realized that I'll be able to render out a proper depth pass from my custom shaders/scripts that supports transparency for use in post (and the displacements will actually match since they're both be rendered in 3DL). Oh happy days!

I know I've already said it, but I'm very much looking forward to your future work in 3DL going forward.

- Greg

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,139

OK.  I'm back.  Got my new backup drive set up and backing up DAZ Studio content ....

In the mean time I loaded up the file.  Here is a screen grab.  You can see on the left side there is transforms of the selected scene bit of the IBL Master.  The HDR is a cliff beach scene.  There's actually plenty of flat land for Tina to be on but as you can see she's floating quite a bit.  I went ahead and kept moving the dome until it looked like her feet would touch ground and they did according to the render but the entire back or foreground is blurry and curved so that's no good either.  Just want to understand what I should do in getting a more crisp, realistic look out of this. 

ScreenHunter_74 Dec. 29 14.16.png
    1553 x 925 - 612K
    On the ground BUT.png
    850 x 850 - 1M
  • nowefgnowefg Posts: 557
    edited December 2017

Hi, I'm using Studio 4.9.4.122 with Window 7 64 bit.

I just downloaded the promo video, and hope that helps, because I download manually & work exclusively offline as I have no internet access in the remote area where I live. (A sixty mile roundtrip journey to get in and see why what's not happening isn't.)

I have IBL Master installed, including the second folder script and shader folders in my Studio4 main directory. They are correctly installed. I followed the simple included plane instructions, but I am very confused with the result.

I load the IBL Master prop, then load an Iray preset HDR. Rotating the control sphere has no effect at all on the actual rotational position of the hdr. I thought that was a major point of the product, so I could see what was happening with the hdr by looking at the control sphere. I can see the hdr image on the control sphere, but the image rotation in the control sphere does not correlate with the hdr image rotation position that renders. Rotating the control sphere has no effect at all on the rotation position of the hdr. Nothing. Tried several hdr-only quick renders. What renders, in terms of rotation, is not what the control sphere is showing me.

Even tried rotating the hdr manually in render settings but that has no effect at all on the image projected onto the control sphere. Again, no correlation between the Iray enviroment and the control sphere.

In other words, there is no "accurate realtime 3d preview" at all happening, and that can't be right. According to the promo video, which I just watched, there is supposed to be.

So what is happening? The install was very simple. Don't see that I might have messed that up. Is there a possible open cl/gl issue, like a particular version required? Some setting somewhere? I have no difficulty doing Iray renders, though cpu only. Having that, is there some other hardware/software requirement?

(I won't bother asking what those vari-colored targets on the ontrol sphere are about at this point, except they may be connected to the Lights?)

I hope this can be sorted out. The real time preview was THE main selling point for me. Bummer indeed.

Post edited by nowefg on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501

...maybe I should rephrase my question.  For 3DL, does IBL Master create it's own indirect and bounce lighting that can be used with the Advanced Distant and Spot Light, or do I need to use an HDR environment, which is usually are UE based, for it to work?  I rarely use UE because of the extremely long render times (similar to Iray in CPU mode). 

I also tend to build my scenes with geometry and skydomes or photo backdrops rather than use pure HDR environments (in either 3DL or Iray) as I couldn't see how the sphere was oriented and had to waste time performing numerous test renders to get it positioned where I wanted it.

Product is in the cart but haven't clicked "Checkout" yet.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,296
    nowefg said:

I load the IBL Master prop, then load an Iray preset HDR. Rotating the control sphere has no effect at all on the actual rotational position of the hdr. I thought that was a major point of the product, so I could see what was happening with the hdr by looking at the control sphere. I can see the hdr image on the control sphere, but the image rotation in the control sphere does not correlate with the hdr image rotation position that renders. Rotating the control sphere has no effect at all on the rotation position of the hdr. Nothing. Tried several hdr-only quick renders. What renders, in terms of rotation, is not what the control sphere is showing me.

Even tried rotating the hdr manually in render settings but that has no effect at all on the image projected onto the control sphere. Again, no correlation between the Iray enviroment and the control sphere.

In other words, there is no "accurate realtime 3d preview" at all happening, and that can't be right. According to the promo video, which I just watched, there is supposed to be.

So what is happening? The install was very simple. Don't see that I might have messed that up. Is there a possible open cl/gl issue, like a particular version required? Some setting somewhere? I have no difficulty doing Iray renders, though cpu only. Having that, is there some other hardware/software requirement?

DS 4.10

Used DIM to install

This is also my problem when using IBL master what I see in the viewport is  not what is rendering. 

nowefg said:

I just downloaded the promo video, and hope that helps, because I download manually & work exclusively offline as I have no internet access in the remote area where I live. (A sixty mile roundtrip journey to get in and see why what's not happening isn't.)

I have IBL Master installed, including the second folder script and shader folders in my Studio4 main directory. They are correctly installed. I followed the simple included plane instructions, but I am very confused with the result.

(I won't bother asking what those vari-colored targets on the ontrol sphere are about at this point, except they may be connected to the Lights?)

I hope this can be sorted out. The real time preview was THE main selling point for me. Bummer indeed.

Very sorry to hear you're having problems. First thing is you need to be running 4.10 or newer. Also sounds like the scripts that do remote control are not running. What a drag! And of course no internet access complicates things from a technical support perspective (though please bare in mind that technical support is officially Daz's part). There is a chance here that what you need help with is beyond the capabilities of a PA, so please don't forget you have a 30 days to return this. But I will help if I can. Can you upgrade to 4.10 at this time? We need to start from there.

• nowefgnowefg Posts: 557
    scorpio said:
    Used DIM to install

This is also my problem when using IBL master what I see in the viewport is  not what is rendering. 

Well. So annoying. I have 4.10, didn't install it because the major upgrade seemed to be dForce, which my laptop can't support the open cl version dForce requires.

Unless someone else has some input on this, like Parris maybe, and why the promo page says 4.10 recommended, not "required," I'll go for the refund.

edited December 2017
    Parris said:
    nowefg said:

Very sorry to hear you're having problems. First thing is you need to be running 4.10 or newer. Also sounds like the scripts that do remote control are not running. What a drag! And of course no internet access complicates things from a technical support perspective (though please bare in mind that technical support is officially Daz's part). There is a chance here that what you need help with is beyond the capabilities of a PA, so please don't forget you have a 30 days to return this. But I will help if I can. Can you upgrade to 4.10 at this time? We need to start from there.

I'm using 4.10 and have internet access and used DIM to install is there any reason why I may be having problems.

Sorry should have mentioned this is rendering in Iray

Post edited by scorpio on
    RAMWolff said:

OK.  I'm back.  Got my new backup drive set up and backing up DAZ Studio content ....

In the mean time I loaded up the file.  Here is a screen grab.  You can see on the left side there is transforms of the selected scene bit of the IBL Master.  The HDR is a cliff beach scene.  There's actually plenty of flat land for Tina to be on but as you can see she's floating quite a bit.  I went ahead and kept moving the dome until it looked like her feet would touch ground and they did according to the render but the entire back or foreground is blurry and curved so that's no good either.  Just want to understand what I should do in getting a more crisp, realistic look out of this. 

The images help, thank you. To keep things synced, you should be transforming IBL Master Control, and not the 3DLEnvSphere, but I understand you may have done that to try and remedy things. As far as I can tell though the HDRI you are using is very distorted (maybe not equirectangular?) and the shadows it is producing are weak because of the type of HDRI. In general, if you have a bright sun in a cloudless sky, and if the HDRI creator has given it the right dynamics, then you will get crisp shadows. Blurred, cloudy, or inadequate dynamic range will produce weak or blurry (soft) shadows. Iray, IBL Master, or other IBL shaders cannot fix this. You need a better HDRI for the purpose you want to achieve. If the shadows are too dark, on the other hand, you can control that in the light settings for the IBLMLight. I hope that helps.frown

So is this suppose to work in Iray or not - I can get correct results in 3dl but not Iray?

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,024
    edited December 2017

same installer issue with Win... 3 files are provided:

IM00048959-01_IBLMasterforDazStudio.zip  - 1,549 KB
    IM00048959-01_IBLMasterforDazStudio1of2.zip - 1,565 KB
    IM00048959-02_IBLMasterforDazStudio2of2.zip - 23KB

the 2of2 zip manifest file contains pathing like this "VERSION="4.5;4.x Private Build;4.x Public Build" ACTION="Install" TYPE="DAZ Studio" VALUE="DAZ Studio_4.5;4.x Private Build;4.x Public Build" and fails in DIM...

Would not one installer file be better?

I bought this today, and am starting to play with it in 3dl.. Some tutorials would be most useful...

Thanks

Harold

Post edited by hacsart on
    scorpio said:

So is this suppose to work in Iray or not - I can get correct results in 3dl but not Iray?

Absolutely it works in Iray. I don't have enough information from what you are telling me to know what is wrong, though. Can you show me Iray Render Settings > Environment? Can you show me a render? If you rotate the IBL Master Control prop on the Y, does the value change for Ground Origin Y? This should be easy to use but it is still a complex bit of machinery. So figuring out what is wrong for you may not be so easy. I'm willing to help though if you can be patient with me. Thanks.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

Wow!  We are making you work for your money!  You thought it was hard just making the product, lol!  cheeky

I'm in for one, looking forward to trying it!  Good job on the video!

kyoto kid said:

...maybe I should rephrase my question.  For 3DL, does IBL Master create it's own indirect and bounce lighting that can be used with the Advanced Distant and Spot Light, or do I need to use an HDR environment, which is usually are UE based, for it to work?  I rarely use UE because of the extremely long render times (similar to Iray in CPU mode). 

I also tend to build my scenes with geometry and skydomes or photo backdrops rather than use pure HDR environments (in either 3DL or Iray) as I couldn't see how the sphere was oriented and had to waste time performing numerous test renders to get it positioned where I wanted it.

Product is in the cart but haven't clicked "Checkout" yet.

Besides being a directional controller, this is an IBL light. So it replaces UE. Use of the HDRI as a background is optional. This is new technology, so it is way faster than UE, as well as doing specular, other features that UE can't, etc. Maybe this image will help?

IBL Master vs Iray vs UE2

edited December 2017
    hacsart said:

same installer issue with Win... 3 files are provided:

IM00048959-01_IBLMasterforDazStudio.zip  - 1,549 KB
    IM00048959-01_IBLMasterforDazStudio1of2.zip - 1,565 KB
    IM00048959-02_IBLMasterforDazStudio2of2.zip - 23KB

the 2of2 zip manifest file contains pathing like this "VERSION="4.5;4.x Private Build;4.x Public Build" ACTION="Install" TYPE="DAZ Studio" VALUE="DAZ Studio_4.5;4.x Private Build;4.x Public Build" and fails in DIM...

Would not one installer file be better?

I bought this today, and am starting to play with it in 3dl.. Some tutorials would be most useful...

Thanks

Harold

I notified Daz and it looks like they already got rid of the redundant installer (IM00048959-01_IBLMasterforDazStudio.zip  - 1,549 KB). I think the two installers might be necessary because the light shaders get installed elsewhere (not sure).

You can find a lot of tips, short tutorials, and step by step instructions in this thread, the video, and the instruction plane props that are in the same directory as IBL Master. Just doubleclick to load. Some good information on the store page too. Be sure to look at the promos that are screenshots and demonstrations. If you have un answered questions, please let me know. I will do what I can. I really want IBL to be easy for everybody. smiley

Post edited by Parris on
  • outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    nowefg said:
    scorpio said:
    Used DIM to install

Well. So annoying. I have 4.10, didn't install it because the major upgrade seemed to be dForce, which my laptop can't support the open cl version dForce requires.

Unless someone else has some input on this, like Parris maybe, and why the promo page says 4.10 recommended, not "required," I'll go for the refund.

If you are concerned about upgrading, then try the BETA 4.10 instead. You can have the beta installed right along side your regular version of Daz. In fact, I still have 4.8 installed because I still use it some. I only used 4.9 (and now 4.10) in the beta. This has not posed a problem for me other than a few plugins not working in the beta. But dforce, iray upgrades, and scripts all run like they should. And this way you can safely test to see if 4.10 will run on your laptop.