Let's see your dForce renders/experiments/interesting results!

Comments

• sberlinssberlins Posts: 128
    edited December 2017

Soulful Cape retextured and redone opacity map. Just the slightest bit of pokethrough on her left shoulder top as though a little postwork would fix that or perhaps slightly moving hair.  The skirt is a freebie base with new texture and opacity map.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,009
    L'Adair said:

Okay, @Llola Lane, I'm between scenes so I loaded up V4 and dressed her in the Sensibility dress and shoes. Without doing more than applying the dForce Modifier for dynamic clothing to the dress, I was able to run the sim in a little over a minute, once the actual sim started. That's using the Start Bones From Memorized Pose option. With that option turned off, it took around 35 seconds. I loaded the V4.2 figure with only the V4 morphs, and later with everything I had for V4, (Stephanie, Girl, Creature Creator, Elite, etc.) It took a few seconds longer with all those morphs loaded.

I have an Nvidia card, an MSI Armor GTX 1080, with 8GB RAM. I'm using OpenCL 1.2 via the Nvidia driver. I do not have OpenCL 1.2 installed for the CPU.

I suspect the problem with the simulation taking so long is related to the device on your computer that supports OpenCL 1.2, whether that's your CPU or your video card. It might also have something to do with the tech for the generation 4 models. Have you tried to dForce the Genesis (or later) version of the dress on the corresponding Genesis figure? It would be a shame to give up on dForce now, only to find later it would have worked acceptably on later generation figures and clothing.

Hi L'Adair.. sorry.. just noticed your response to my situation.... I am sooo jealous... :(  I can't afford a new computer/graphics card)  I am stuck with what I have... unfortunately I don't think I will be using dForce if my computer can't handle it faster.  Between dForce and Iray... i am tempted to just give up Daz and play with my Poser... lol.  (sighs)  I don't have the time/patience to wait for them to render. 

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760
    edited December 2017

The ability to set parts of a clothing item (based on material zones) with their own dForce settings is awesome.

Dforce is applied to her top (Whymsy Cloths)
    Everything is default settings other than "Dynamics Strength"
    "Arms_Cloth" is set to 0.90
    Everything else is set to 0.00

Post edited by JamesJAB on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Hi L'Adair.. sorry.. just noticed your response to my situation.... I am sooo jealous... :(  I can't afford a new computer/graphics card)  I am stuck with what I have... unfortunately I don't think I will be using dForce if my computer can't handle it faster.  Between dForce and Iray... i am tempted to just give up Daz and play with my Poser... lol.  (sighs)  I don't have the time/patience to wait for them to render. 

No problem. I've been hard at work making Daz Studio crash. Again and again and again... Not sure what's causing the issue as I've got plenty of RAM. It just up and closes itself while working with the Geometry Editor. I'm working on my final entry to the It's Raining Men competition. With all the crashes, looks like it's going to be a closeup portrait, not a larger scene, if I can even get it done in time.

Oh, and I can reliably report that Jonas Hair does not like dForce. it either does nearly nothing, or falls all apart. And I have neither the time nor the patience to paint weights on a zillion curls! My faun is going to just have to settle for really curly hair.

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

I had a funny mishap with the Captain Cupcake jacket. The pockets and buttons fell off and it fell open. I made my girl look shocked and turned it into a fun moment instead of a "Argh! WHY!" moment. lol

I've decided to stay away from more complex outfits with buttons and ties and stuff until I learn how to use weight mapping better to fix them in place.

Any chance to make this not a mistake but to ensure this outcome? Quite a few clothes don't com with undress morphs, so this would be a very interesting option to get something close to that.

Maybe for something like the classical Superman pose - the one that NFL quarterback Cam Newton uses so often - when he opens the front of his shirt to reveal the superman dress and the logo...

I used dForce on the Trumpet Dress, of course. I also used it on the shirt and jacket of the bobblehead's tux. But that's not why I'm sharing this image. The lace "frosting" of the cake is a high-poly plane primitive with a trans map to remove the corners and draped over the layer with dForce. The lace is actually a geometry shell over the plane. I also created the fluted cake plate using dForce on a short cylinder primitive with a subD of 3 or 4.

Mr. & Mrs. BobbleHead, by L'Adair

• freni-kynfreni-kyn Posts: 394

I had a funny mishap with the Captain Cupcake jacket. The pockets and buttons fell off and it fell open. I made my girl look shocked and turned it into a fun moment instead of a "Argh! WHY!" moment. lol

I've decided to stay away from more complex outfits with buttons and ties and stuff until I learn how to use weight mapping better to fix them in place.

Any chance to make this not a mistake but to ensure this outcome? Quite a few clothes don't com with undress morphs, so this would be a very interesting option to get something close to that.

Maybe for something like the classical Superman pose - the one that NFL quarterback Cam Newton uses so often - when he opens the front of his shirt to reveal the superman dress and the logo...

I tried this with cupcake outfit and the jacket exploded.  Could you tell me what your settings are please?  Almost everything I've used it on has exploded, so I think this is user error.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    L'Adair said:

I used dForce on the Trumpet Dress, of course. I also used it on the shirt and jacket of the bobblehead's tux. But that's not why I'm sharing this image. The lace "frosting" of the cake is a high-poly plane primitive with a trans map to remove the corners and draped over the layer with dForce. The lace is actually a geometry shell over the plane. I also created the fluted cake plate using dForce on a short cylinder primitive with a subD of 3 or 4.

Now that is fabulously creative! Well done!!!!  

barbult said:
    L'Adair said:

Now that is fabulously creative! Well done!!!!  

Thank you very much, @barbult. You're opinion means a lot to me. blush

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735

WOW!  So creative!! 

Thnk you, @sapat. I'm happy you like it.

L'Adair said:

Oh WOW L'Adair... now it's even more special a piece of art... now that I know how it was made... just wonderful... I'm liking this DForce.. but.. it takes so long to simulate on my computer... may I ask how long it took yours??

L'Adair said:

Oh WOW L'Adair... now it's even more special a piece of art... now that I know how it was made... just wonderful... I'm liking this DForce.. but.. it takes so long to simulate on my computer... may I ask how long it took yours??

I didn't time it, but I'd say a minute or two, per item. However... I did dForce each item separately. I did the female bobblehead in one file, the male in another, and the cake in a third. (Oh, wait. I did the plate in a separate file, too. But I turned it into a prop.) Then I put them all together into one file, already dForced. And just in case you weren't aware, having anything visible in the scene that isn't needed will slow down the simulation, especially hair! Also, for the figures, I used the animation timeline.

I'm using the OpenCL via my GTX 1080 video card. I never bothered with updating the CPU driver for it. But I've heard peope who have OpenCL for both their video card and CPU are seeing faster sims than with just one or the other.

Thank you, again. I'm delighted you like the render so much.

L'Adair said:
    L'Adair said:

I didn't time it, but I'd say a minute or two, per item. However... I did dForce each item separately. I did the female bobblehead in one file, the male in another, and the cake in a third. (Oh, wait. I did the plate in a separate file, too. But I turned it into a prop.) Then I put them all together into one file, already dForced. And just in case you weren't aware, having anything visible in the scene that isn't needed will slow down the simulation, especially hair! Also, for the figures, I used the animation timeline.

I'm using the OpenCL via my GTX 1080 video card. I never bothered with updating the CPU driver for it. But I've heard peope who have OpenCL for both their video card and CPU are seeing faster sims than with just one or the other.

Thanks for letting me know... a lot of that goes over my head... Not sure about OpenCL... CPU.. etc... (still can't figure out about these settings on my computer.. not sure where to look to see what is going on)... and yes.. I do know about the hair... simulations I've been doing the character is buck nekid except for what is simulating... lol. 

L'Adair said:
    L'Adair said:

Thanks for letting me know... a lot of that goes over my head... Not sure about OpenCL... CPU.. etc... (still can't figure out about these settings on my computer.. not sure where to look to see what is going on)... and yes.. I do know about the hair... simulations I've been doing the character is buck nekid except for what is simulating... lol. 

If you're able to do any simulating at all, you have the required OpenCL version. That it's running really slow is probably a hardware issue, but I'm not going to get technical on you here. If you have an older computer, the "best" solution is to upgrade it with a new computer, making sure to get a good Nvidia card. Best, but not necessarily feasible.
    sad

L'Adair said:
    L'Adair said:
    L'Adair said:

If you're able to do any simulating at all, you have the required OpenCL version. That it's running really slow is probably a hardware issue, but I'm not going to get technical on you here. If you have an older computer, the "best" solution is to upgrade it with a new computer, making sure to get a good Nvidia card. Best, but not necessarily feasible.
    sad

nope.. out of the question... not gonna get a new computer just for Daz... so I'm making do.  Simulations are slow.. but I just watch a movie (or two) or take a nap whilst it's finishing... lol.  (sighs)... I'm pretty frustrated with how I'm being forced to buy new hardware or else... I think I'll start playing with my Poser more... been a while since I've rendered anything... and I just found an update that makes it render faster.  We shall see.. Thanks L'Adair

btw.. have you seen the prices of Nvidia cards????  eep!!!!!!!!!!

btw.. have you seen the prices of Nvidia cards????  eep!!!!!!!!!!

Yes. The card I have in my render computer, (yeah, I bought a new computer just for Daz, more than a year ago, now,) that card was around $500 at NewEgg and then the Cryptomining thing came along and prices have skyrocketed. So that second card I was going to buy is no longer feasible. I did up my system RAM to 64GB, though. That actually helped to speed things up a bit, though I was going for, "don't crash when using Catalyzer."

And now back to our regularly scheduled program... wink

• RakudaRakuda Posts: 931
    edited January 2018

Here is a little dForce experiment. I created a simple tube in Hexagon and deformed it with a few different dForce interactions and subsequent .obj exports. Then  I simulted it into an action scene with a figure. I bet with the right material settings you could simulate spashed water pretty well.

5679_SM.jpg
    900 x 1361 - 370K
    75643.jpg
    1526 x 1976 - 1M
    Post edited by Rakuda on
  • rickweshrickwesh Posts: 26
    edited February 2018

My first attempt with dforce

floating.jpg
    640 x 480 - 105K
    Post edited by rickwesh on
    rickwesh said:

That's really cool. smiley

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    rickwesh said:

Wow! that's a great result

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459

Yeah Oso3D very cool. It makes sense, the focus on clothing, I'm hoping for some more of this!

Oso3D said:

There are definitely interesting possibilities for weird fx.

• ZynnikkZynnikk Posts: 0

There are truly great things in this thread, great inspiration.

Well, actually, yes. I export the garment in question to .obj, then I use a simple 3D editor to cut the mesh / take out polygons in areas where I want the garment to fall open. After reimport the simulation works accordingly, usually.

There are truly great things in this thread, great inspiration.

Well, actually, yes. I export the garment in question to .obj, then I use a simple 3D editor to cut the mesh / take out polygons in areas where I want the garment to fall open. After reimport the simulation works accordingly, usually.

If it's not too complicated, you could use the Geometry Editor Tool to remove those polygons, without ever leaving Daz Studio.

1. Make the Geometry Editor Tool active
    2. Right-click in the viewport and select Selection Mode->Drag Selection
    3. Select the polygons you want to remove.
    4. Right-click in the viewport, and select Geometry Editing->Delete Hidden Polygon(s)

You don't have to select polygons one at a time. Poke around the popup menu and try some of the shortcuts. You'll quickly find something that makes what you're trying to do fast and efficient.

So, as long as you aren't editing the mesh in some other way in your 3D editor, this should work.

• I've been experimenting with creating soft body effects with dForce:

• davidcaputokeenedavidcaputokeene Posts: 131
    edited March 2018

Could you point to documentation/tutorial on soft body effects with dforce, please?

Post edited by davidcaputokeene on

Could you point to documentation/tutorial on soft body effects with dforce, please?

I'm pretty sure this is all stuff she figured out on her own. However, as Diva is a PA now, maybe we can convince her to package up what she learned and make it available in the store.

• ArielRGHArielRGH Posts: 105
    edited June 2018

Does an annoying result count as interesting? The sleeve of the Madonna that is supporting the child's head insists on floating straight out away from the forearm, Madonna's torso, and the baby, parallel to the ground rather than draping perpendicular to the ground & I don't know why. The other sleeve drapes as expected. 

I'm hoping one of you will know why. I thought of using the dFormer on that sleeve but I have avoided the dFormer to this point in time so I will wait to use it on something dForce can't do.

Sorry for reliving this topic, but I wish to do a madonna at some point and this is a wonderful starting point. @nonesuch00, I absolutely need to know, what is the outfit you dressed the madonna with, and what baby did you use. Thank you in advance!

Post edited by ArielRGH on
  • sapatsapat Posts: 1,735
    L'Adair said:

That is amazing!