How to Use dForce: Creating a Blanket, Draping Clothes on Furniture, and Much More [Commercial]

Comments

• sapat said:

Ok, I ramped up the cube divisions to 100 and it made all the difference.  Great spot for kitty to curl up and sleep!

RGcincy said:
    sapat said:

Great spot for kitty to curl up and sleep!

Cute!! Glad you got it to work and I updated the write-up.

laughThanks!

I love the shader you used on this cushion/foot stool. Very realistic. You can see tiny creases and wrinkles in it, and I can almost imagine I can see some cat hair, as well.:)

• wsgentrywsgentry Posts: 572

Funky thing about clothes draping over furniture or dropped on the floor:  All the male shirts I have explode.   So, who knows the difference between crumpled female shirts and male shirts! :) 

Scott

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735
    kthedrick said:
    sapat said:

Ok, I ramped up the cube divisions to 100 and it made all the difference.  Great spot for kitty to curl up and sleep!

Great spot for kitty to curl up and sleep!

RGcincy said:

Cute!! Glad you got it to work and I updated the write-up.

laughThanks!

I love the shader you used on this cushion/foot stool. Very realistic. You can see tiny creases and wrinkles in it, and I can almost imagine I can see some cat hair, as well.:)

Thank you.  The impression from the sphere made a perfect little round spot for a kitty to curl up in!

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

My question about the napkin.. most napkins I use at restaurants are must stiffer, less silky.  Any way to stiffen them up with the current controls in DForce? 

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    wsgentry said:

Funky thing about clothes draping over furniture or dropped on the floor:  All the male shirts I have explode.   So, who knows the difference between crumpled female shirts and male shirts! :) 

Scott

I've had similar problems with most male shirts. Not sure why.

edited November 2017
    RAMWolff said:

My question about the napkin.. most napkins I use at restaurants are must stiffer, less silky.  Any way to stiffen them up with the current controls in DForce? 

I have the same impression - I tried to make a stiffer fabric (like denim instead of silk) but so far haven't found a combination that helped.

Post edited by RGcincy on
    edited December 2017

20. Short-cut Key to Clear Simulation on Selected Item(s)

Oftentimes I want to remove the dForce simulation from one item. You can't use the Clear key on the Simulation Settings pane as it clears all simulations, even those that are frozen. So to clear a simulation, you have to select the item and then do a multiple-step menu selection from either the main menu or the Simulation Settings pane menu. Not all that hard but it gets old to keep scrolling, clicking, and scanning down menu lists to get to this one command.

You can add a keyboard shortcut to make this a quick process. Click on the F3 key to bring up the Customize menu. Scroll down the Action column and left-click on dForce Simulation. Then right-click on the item Clear dForce Simulation from Selected Item(s) and choose Change Keyboard Shortcut. Type in a key combination (I used Ctrl+Shift+D). Now when you want to clear the simulation on an item, choose it in the viewport and type your shortcut key and you're done. Much faster!

Hint: after setting the shortcut key, close down Daz Studio and reopen it so the new shortcut key is remembered. Otherwise a crash (which dForce is prone to do) will lose the new setting.

dForce shortcut key.jpg
    736 x 638 - 121K
  • wsgentrywsgentry Posts: 572
    edited December 2017

Thanks for the tip, Rich.  I have a scene with twelve d-Force'd items in it based on your tutorials. Eliminating menu trips will make this task much easier!  Funny thing about having so many d-Force'd things in a scene, the simulation progress dialog often takes a long time to appear with the dreaded "Not Responding" Alert popping up before. After a bit the simulation progress dialog always appears, though.  I wonder if others have noticed this?   For the record, I've got an Alienware G4 17 laptop, 4k display, 32gig RAM, boot and swap is on an SSD, and I have a GTX 1080ti on the Allienware Graphics Amplifier (with the Graphics Amplifier the built in 1080 is disabled, display is handled by the onboard Intel chip). 

Scott

Post edited by wsgentry on

I like to point out other threads were people have applied dForce in unique ways. @Divamakeup posted using dForce on G8F bodies to make "soft" bodies. Here's the start of her discussion. Be sure to read through the next page or two of that discussion as it unfolds.

@algovincian replied to that thread and shared a link to a post on using dForce to avoid "cling wrapped" shirts. So often you see conforming women's shirts that tightly hug the breasts, totally unlike real life. This post will walk you through setting up the animated timeline, weight mapping, and how to turn the result into a morph.

Good stuff is happening! 

• I'm having a bit of trouble with a dforce project.  I'm using the V4 Historical Armor (not exactly made for dforce, I know).  Most of it is metal and shouldn't deform, but there's some little ties at various points that loose their rigging on newer figures, so they just follow the arm and sometimes hang strangely.  So I'm trying to make them droop down.  The problem is, dforce is making them float even more.

Here's the static

And here's the dforce'd version.

So, why is it going up instead of down?

default.png
    dforce2.png
    988 x 830 - 710K

It's not entirely clear to me. I had a pillow that flew up and away under dForce. I've also had a plane with an influence map wrap up into the air for quite some time before it finally came back down. My assumption with the latter was that a fixed spot with zero influence having locked some polygons in place, the other polygons were twisting around before they could get into a position where gravity pulled them down. So you might try a longer Stabilization time to see if that helps. You could also add an influence map if you don't have one, reducing the influence on the ties to slow their motion which may keep them from floating up.

RGcincy said:

It's not entirely clear to me. I had a pillow that flew up and away under dForce. I've also had a plane with an influence map wrap up into the air for quite some time before it finally came back down. My assumption with the latter was that a fixed spot with zero influence having locked some polygons in place, the other polygons were twisting around before they could get into a position where gravity pulled them down. So you might try a longer Stabilization time to see if that helps. You could also add an influence map if you don't have one, reducing the influence on the ties to slow their motion which may keep them from floating up.

What's an influence map?

• I've got influence maps on them where they intersect the metal (otherwise they fall off) but everything else is at full.  I'll see what toning them down does.

Sapat, an influence map can be added to a dforce object through the Create menu.  By default everything is fully influenced, but you can hold down alt to reduce the dforce influence on clicked areas.

I've got influence maps on them where they intersect the metal (otherwise they fall off) but everything else is at full.  I'll see what toning them down does.

Sapat, an influence map can be added to a dforce object through the Create menu.  By default everything is fully influenced, but you can hold down alt to reduce the dforce influence on clicked areas.

Wow, thanks.  This is the first time I'd heard of it, and it sounds like it's a valuable tool to have. Cool.

I should have been more specific: an influence map is one of the types of dForce Modifier Weight Node maps (it's the only one I have used so far). I describe how to apply and use them here. Very worthwhile to learn about as they help you control (to some extent) what happens.

RGcincy said:

I should have been more specific: an influence map is one of the types of dForce Modifier Weight Node maps (it's the only one I have used so far). I describe how to apply and use them here. Very worthwhile to learn about as they help you control (to some extent) what happens.

Ok, I get it.  I hadn't made it to the clothesepin part of the tutorial yet, but it makes sense now reading it. It applies to the whole area, then you paint out what you don't want to be influenced, right?

sapat said:

It applies to the whole area, then you paint out what you don't want to be influenced, right?

Yes, that's it. Just be sure to hold down the Alt key as you paint to remove influence. If you find you overdid it, just paint normally (no held down key) and you can go back all the way to full if need be (like if you hit the wrong spot or take off too much). 

RGcincy said:
    sapat said:

It applies to the whole area, then you paint out what you don't want to be influenced, right?

Yes, that's it. Just be sure to hold down the Alt key as you paint to remove influence. If you find you overdid it, just paint normally (no held down key) and you can go back all the way to full if need be (like if you hit the wrong spot or take off too much). 

Awesome, thx!

• CriosCrios Posts: 2,671

Just for curiosity, is possible create a solid object, who fall with grafvity, but don't deform itself when fall to the ground? Maybe using dforce node?

• Crios said:

Just for curiosity, is possible create a solid object, who fall with grafvity, but don't deform itself when fall to the ground? Maybe using dforce node?

Not yet, making things very rigid tends to produce explosions, but this is the first part of the system so we may hope for additional modes later (see the opening of the dForce Start Here thread).

Artini made a post to another thread that does a nice job quickly describing the steps to add an influence weight map. You can find it here.

edited December 2017

21. Dropped Papers. As I think of ways I might use dForce, I get caught thinking dForce is a physics engine which it’s not (at least in its current implementation). So something I think would be easy to setup takes more time and relies more on me than the simulator.

A case in point is a set of dropped papers. The scenario is that of a man carrying a stack of papers in his hands. The wind catches them and blows them away with the man giving chase. Ideally, I could create a stack of say five planes, pose them in space in front of a wind node, and run the simulation. The papers would start to fall, the wind would grab them, and they would simultaneously separate from each other, warp and rotate in the wind, and fall downward as well as move forward. Sounds simple but it doesn’t work. Rather, the papers either collapse into a heap of limp cloth or they stick to each other. I can get something that looks like I want but it’s by me “faking” the wind and gravity motion, meaning I’m using imagination not physics.

Here’s the result I achieved:

I made 5 primitive planes for the papers. I scaled them in one direction so they were rectangular. I took screen-shots of this write-up and used them for the diffuse texture map. The papers dissolve into limp cloth if you run at full dynamic strength so I I turned it down to 0.85:

I found the papers fell too fast at full gravity, so I set it to 0.6:

Here’s the wind node position:

And the wind node parameters:

Here’s the starting position of the papers. As you can see, I had to move and rotate them myself as dForce will not:

A close-up of the papers after simulation:

dForce lost papers.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 1M
    dForce papers dyn stren.jpg
    225 x 56 - 6K
    dForce papers gravity.jpg
    344 x 112 - 10K
    dForce papers wind position.jpg
    489 x 320 - 22K
    dForce papers wind.jpg
    291 x 277 - 24K
    dForce papers before scattered.jpg
    418 x 514 - 32K
    dForce papers scattered.jpg
    381 x 514 - 36K
    edited January 2018

I've updated the PDF to include the newest sections. This is version 4.

EDIT: new version posted. Link to it is found at top of first post.

• That's a really neat idea. I really need to try out that wind node.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,321
    edited December 2017

Wind is a very cool function.  I do like what you've been doing with your experiments RGcincy!

[fix spelling]

Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

Cool idea on the papers.  I wonder if they'd act more "paper" like if you dropped the weight.  This bears investigating.

Yes, wind is cool. Thanks zombie and FirstBastion.

Cool idea on the papers.  I wonder if they'd act more "paper" like if you dropped the weight.  This bears investigating.

Let me know if you come up with anything. I ran countless experiments with surface and simulation settings, positioning, wind settings and position, animated poses, but nothing ever gave me the look I wanted.. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Well I made Madonna's (not that one though) babushka out of a plane converted to figure subD but found the default dForce settings far too stiff, although still not quite as stiff as a typical sheet of paper. 

My curiousity with the wind snatched paper simulation above is the wind speed is so slow at 0.040 or did I miss where it was changed? I think its need to do a 10 second animation simulation that has a wind gust come in at 10 MPH or faster to snatch the papers.

If you search on  'speed of a typical wind gust' it says that peak gust is 18 MPH with the average lull trough speed between gust peaks is 10 MPH. They said that a gust typical lasts 20 seconds or less that that average gust activity comes in 2 minutes cycles.

Those are all averages (and I guess the US National Weather Service and similar entities have coallated and averaged these findings out for our use..

edited December 2017

My curiousity with the wind snatched paper simulation above is the wind speed is so slow at 0.040 or did I miss where it was changed? I think its need to do a 10 second animation simulation that has a wind gust come in at 10 MPH or faster to snatch the papers.

You raise some good points. The wind speed was that low because the wind speed in dForce is not representative of real life. In my previous post using wind on hanging towels, I mentioned setting wind speed to 0.2 instead of the default 5 mph, as 5 behaves more like a hurricane. In this case, I found high wind caused the paper to have too much folding, so the 0.04 value came from testing various speeds to get something looking like paper with only some curling at the edges. [Note: this may be affected by Daz Studio version - I'm not seeing this ecessive wind behavior as much with the most recent one].

I did go back and try a 10 mph wind with two different versions of this scene. One as shown above and one were the papers are stacked but do not touch each other or the figure. In both versions of the scene, at 10 mph 2 papers flew off (3 stayed put), then as the simulation proceeded the two that flew off came back and it looked similar to before. Those were done with a single frame simulation. I repeated with a 30 frame simulation and in this case, the papers stayed in place only moving slightly. Frame 6 of 30 showed the most movement.

Stacked papers at 10 mph, single frame simulation:

Stacked papers at 10 mph, animated simulation, frame 6 of 30:

This last one is not too bad.

dForce papers 10 mph screen grab.jpg
    668 x 473 - 85K
    dForce papers 10 mph screen grab animated.jpg
    674 x 487 - 90K

Hey yeah, that 2nd one looks good!  Nice work!