Hexagon BETA - version 2.5.2.109!

Comments

• ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited December 2017
    Ptrope said:

I followed the instructions to locate and download the beta; once I have it, however, it fails to install, saying the installation path can't be located.

• Install Manager cannot find a required path. The package for "Hexagon 2.5 Content Public Build +BETA+" requires that the installed path for "Hexagon 2.x Public Build" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again.

Under Settings>Applications, the only options I have are for Hexagon 2 or 2.5, 32-bit; selecting either still gives me the above error. DIM v. 1.1.0.72

The content file is not installable. Only the Hexagon app is. The content will be included once Hexagon is installed.

Turn on more of your filters to see the Hexagon app. It is in a different category than its content file is found in.

Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on
  • PtropePtrope Posts: 679

OK, this is what I have:

Under Settings, the Downloads Tab: Hexagon is checked, Windows 32-bit and 64-bit are checked
    Under Installation Tab: paths are set to my E: drive (non-SSD) for 32-bit and 64-bit applications
    Under Applications Tab: Hexagon 2.5 (32-bit) (my only option other than v. 2) is set to "E:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\Hexagon 2 BETA"

The only items currently under my "Ready to Install" tab are the program, and the content. The content is unchecked, as it has been. Clicking "Install" brings up a Windows dialog asking if I want to allow the program to make changes to my PC - standard stuff. I tell it "Yes," and "Install Failed" is the result.

I'm not trying to install the content - I'm trying to install the beta program.

• unLight865unLight865 Posts: 95
    edited December 2017

Really nice to see Hexagon's development being taken up again yessmiley .

Especially since my favourite modeler (trueSpace... yes, it's glithy at times, but I like the user-interface and the load of plugins) still is 32-bit...

Looking forward to see the other new features of the announced Hexagon Q1-release smiley.

Post edited by unLight865 on
  • Ptrope said:

OK, this is what I have:

Under Settings, the Downloads Tab: Hexagon is checked, Windows 32-bit and 64-bit are checked
    Under Installation Tab: paths are set to my E: drive (non-SSD) for 32-bit and 64-bit applications
    Under Applications Tab: Hexagon 2.5 (32-bit) (my only option other than v. 2) is set to "E:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\Hexagon 2 BETA"

The only items currently under my "Ready to Install" tab are the program, and the content. The content is unchecked, as it has been. Clicking "Install" brings up a Windows dialog asking if I want to allow the program to make changes to my PC - standard stuff. I tell it "Yes," and "Install Failed" is the result.

Please post a screenshot of the Ready to Instal tab, to make sure the right things are showing.

• Ptrope said:

OK, this is what I have:

Are you running the DIM as administrator. I find sometimes it won't install an exe unless it is.

• PtropePtrope Posts: 679

I'm the administrator of the machine - always am. Although now that you mention it, DIM never would install the updates to 4.9 either. No error messages - just "Install failed!"

I'll have to wait until tonight to get a screenshot.

• Ptrope said:

Yes. You are actually. I went through the same exact thing you are going through right now. Then I found what I was doing wrong.

• Ptrope said:

OK, this is what I have:

Are you running the DIM as administrator. I find sometimes it won't install an exe unless it is.

Don't run DIM as administrator - it may well mess up folder permissions. If it needs elevated permissions to install software or the like (as it will for Hexagon) it will prompt the OS to ask you (of course if you left it to download and install you might miss the prompt and the process would then time out).

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited December 2017

Just to be on the safe side I ticked all the Build options.

Edit to show the the whole panel - Thanks Richard :)

DIM settings.jpg
    785 x 1038 - 107K
    Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • Just to be on the safe side I ticked all the Build options :)

And earlier in the list?

• MartialMartial Posts: 404

LIke some others, even i have tried different maners of settings on this DIM, i am still with ''install failed'' and only get content.

I abandon and reinstall my old Hexagon

• Martial said:

LIke some others, even i have tried different maners of settings on this DIM, i am still with ''install failed'' and only get content.

I abandon and reinstall my old Hexagon

The beta and the production build are separate, installing one should not affect the other (except for which opens when a .hxn file is double-clicked).

• I think it failed the first time I tried to install it. I think the error message said that it required a folder called "Hexagon 2 Public Build". I figured it would create that itself. But when I created that, and tried again, it installed the program.

• KevinH said:

I think it failed the first time I tried to install it. I think the error message said that it required a folder called "Hexagon 2 Public Build". I figured it would create that itself. But when I created that, and tried again, it installed the program.

If you told DIM to download the content and the application at the same time then, because the content file is smaller than the application, DIM would have tried to install the content before it knew where to put it (from the application). If you didn't cancel after the failure then DIM would have gone on to install the application and so everything would have been in place for your second attempt at the content.

• Will there be a Bridge for Blender in the coming future?

• Will there be a Bridge for Blender in the coming future?

A bridge from Hexagon to/from Blender?

• For people that have only Hexagon content file that appear, don't forget to check the "Software" box inside DIM, for me that fix the problem, hexagon BETA main file will appear in the list with the hexagon content file.

• I was looking around today, because I'm hoping to have a lot more time for modeling in the next few years.  I just want a pure modeler - something that doesn't try to do everything, animation, texture, this, that, the other thing - and doesn't cost thousands of dollars like Max or Maya or C4D - and I thought "What about Hexagon? I picked that up ages ago, but I'm not sure it's still supported or anything..."

Seems like rather fortuitous timing.  I'm excited and hoping for the best. :)

• ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited December 2017

I was looking around today, because I'm hoping to have a lot more time for modeling in the next few years.  I just want a pure modeler - something that doesn't try to do everything, animation, texture, this, that, the other thing - and doesn't cost thousands of dollars like Max or Maya or C4D - and I thought "What about Hexagon? I picked that up ages ago, but I'm not sure it's still supported or anything..."

Seems like rather fortuitous timing.  I'm excited and hoping for the best. :)

Technically, modelers like Hexagon don't need much support other than workling with your OS. The OBJ format isn't going anywhere, which works with 3D printing now.

Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on
  • ...and I thought "What about Hexagon? I picked that up ages ago, but I'm not sure it's still supported or anything..."

Technically, modelers like Hexagon don't need much support other than workling with your OS. The OBJ format isn't going anywhere, which works with 3D printing now.

That's true, of course...  :)

There might be more learning materials around for something in active development, but as long as it has good modeling tools and runs, it'll do exactly what I need it to do. Now I just have to learn it. I'm surprised and annoyed at myself for not thinking of it sooner. :)

•  

(your blog)

Squee!  I clicked through to look at your blog, and the first thing I think is "omg, is that a Tigress class dreadnaught?" And, as I scrolled down, an S-class, and a Beowulf, and... How wonderful! :)

• That's true, of course...  :)

There might be more learning materials around for something in active development, but as long as it has good modeling tools and runs, it'll do exactly what I need it to do. Now I just have to learn it. I'm surprised and annoyed at myself for not thinking of it sooner. :)

I set aside a weekend to learn Hexagon. I think the video tutorials these days are now at 

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895

Love Hexagon3D. It's my favorite poly modeling app. Thinking Hexagon was dead development wise, I recently jumped onto the Silo3D bandwagon, which is my second favorite poly modeling app.

Look forward to further development of this easy to use, intuitive modeling app.

Thanks DAZ3D for not pulling a Studebaker or Oldsmobile on this awesome piece of software...

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,609

I should be able to play with it by next week.  I am so excited.

• Thank you for work on this amazing software !!! it's really my favorite 3D one !!!!

• sad Help....

Grazie

help.JPG
    1114 x 893 - 115K
  • m_m_italy said:

sad Help....

Grazie

The install path for Hexagon in IM is wrong. You have DAZ3DIM1, it should be Hexagon. Uninstall Hexagon and reinstall. DIM should find the right path automatically afterwards for the content.

• m_m_italym_m_italy Posts: 386
    edited December 2017
    m_m_italy said:

sad Help....

Grazie

The install path for Hexagon in IM is wrong. You have DAZ3DIM1, it should be Hexagon. Uninstall Hexagon and reinstall. DIM should find the right path automatically afterwards for the content.

Grazie

sad......

help2.JPG
    1175 x 674 - 135K
    Post edited by m_m_italy on
  • m_m_italy said:
    m_m_italy said:

sad Help....

Grazie

Grazie

sad......

You are trying to install the Beta Content and the installed Hexagon doesn't look like the Beta. They should both be the same.

• I looked at Hexagon a bit and was disappointed to find it has no lathe tool like Carrara, I know Blender and other modelers do not either but since both are from the same family I wonder how hard it would be to code one in?

I still need to get used to Hexagon's UI a bit but at least it does not freeze and crash like before so I may actually learn it.