Animation Club starting another animation, "My Favorite Alien" modeling starting .

mmoirmmoir Posts: 821
edited November 2017 in Carrara Discussion

Hey Guys,   

I haven't been around here much lately but the wintertime for me is less busy so  I can do more 3d/animation for the next while.  Some of you may remember we did a couple of animations over the last year or two here at the Carrara forums under the monikor of  the " Animation Club for Carrara Users"   Here is a couple of them  Gone To Australia thread and the video.   Here is the first animation thread for Final Gesture  and Spooky Hollow.   I was thinking of starting another animation for those interested but in a "cartoon" style this time so it is more forgiving for the people who want to animate and even the modelers..

I was hoping this time the animation we could do a much simpler animation (less time consuming).  I noticed the "Carrara Character" thread here and was hoping to get some simple Carrara characters modeled for this animation, so if you interested let us know.  If you have some interesting and applicable characters already modeled and go with the final theme we chose then let us know.

My idea for this cartoon animation is as follows. .

- Each animation would be  a couple of very small clips or part of a tv episode. Maybe 30 seconds total and take 2 or 3 weeks to complete.  

-We would have 2 or 3 sets that would be built and everyone could download to use to animate with.  These sets could get more comlicated as we do more animations.

- Once the story is decided we will have a small storyboard for the first animation and people can choose which storyboard panels to animate.

-When we have all the small storyboard panels animated we can render them out and edit them into the final small animation.

- This is supposed to be like a tv episode but very simple, the different episodes aren't dependent on each other so the story doesn't have to be elaborate.

I think that is about it.

Remember , the purpose of this is to get people modeling,animating and creating a complete animation as a group. We are not trying to put Pixar out of business.

So , what do you think we should do?    A sci-fi cartoon like the Jetsons or maybe an animal based cartoon. To keep things moving  I will wait 2 or 3 days for you guys to suggest some cool themes/ideas and we can then choose what we think is the best idea.  

Looking forward to your ideas.

Cheers.

Post edited by mmoir on

Comments

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821
    edited November 2017

I will collect the ideas/themes into this post and post what the Final theme is here.

Okay , the theme is " My secret alien"   The story is about a little girl living with her dad and one night meets a new friend , a loveable alien .  This new alien friend just may help our little girl deal with her nemesis " the mean babysitter."

Post edited by mmoir on
    edited November 2017

This post will have info on modeling ,

What is modelled/have so far.

Little girl and father.--2 aliens and a spaceship.--Living room, couch,lamp, window.

Tv and stand in the works.

Front entrance door. and closet. 

We still need the babysitter character.

Post edited by mmoir on

I will post the storyboard here .

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Create an alternative ending for a familar story?  OK, a bit too ambitious.  How about a space scene with one cool spaceship chasing another through an asteroid field?  Model a couple spaceships, asteroids, distant planets and sun, lazer beams, explosion clouds.  Could expand to have a character run to the docking bay and jump in the spaceship.

youtube series for alternative endings.

Diomede,   Hey I liked that Predator ending.  yes  

Okay one vote for Sci-fi in general . We would need a simple space ship model (interior set and exterior), either humans or aliens

Lets keep the ideas coming. 

Okay, my idea would be a small boy/girl becomes friends with an alien.  

Sets needed: interior/exterior of house (bedroom/living room), interior/exterior of spaceship

Characters needed :  boy/girl  and some form of alien.

• Mike, I haven't started doing animation yet, but happy to see you back!

Hey UnifiedBrian ,   There will always be modeling that needs to be done.  

Mike, I haven't started doing animation yet, but happy to see you back!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187
    mmoir said:

Sets needed: interior/exterior of house (bedroom/living room), interior/exterior of spaceship

...and a good opposition bad guy... an evil scientist - perhaps from a different planet or galaxy? Or maybe it's just a Monster that turns out to be an innocent being from the planet they've happened upon?

edited November 2017

How evil does the scientist have to be?  Could the scientist just be quasi-evil?

scientist and little kid.jpg
    800 x 600 - 25K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Absolutely!

Diomede ,  those are perfect looking characters.  I don't know what the final theme will be but I am sure we can use these characters if you let us use them.   They can always be tweeked a little to fit the theme .  . 

Dart ,   good ideas.   

mmoir said:

...and a good opposition bad guy... an evil scientist - perhaps from a different planet or galaxy? Or maybe it's just a Monster that turns out to be an innocent being from the planet they've happened upon?

Thanks! Perhaps either option (Scientist or Monster) puts our boy's damsel into distress?

Boy, whom normally never has any courage of any kind, finds the will to rescue her through his love-enveloped heart! I mean... he's keen on her!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,790

<thinking cap>

a cheesey looking little alien from the moon in his little cheesey space craft visits earth and befriends a little girl,but the nasty babysitter intervenes

<thinking cap/>

Stezza,  this sounds good. yes

Stezza said:

<thinking cap>

a cheesey looking little alien from the moon in his little cheesey space craft visits earth and befriends a little girl,but the nasty babysitter intervenes

<thinking cap/>

edited November 2017

Okay, with no more suggestions I guess it is " My favourite Alien"   for the theme for our cartoon.   

So, if anyone wants to start modeling just  post in here what you want to model. We will need the following.

- Living room , with at least one window, couches , tv  etc.   see these images.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=cartoon+living+room&client=firefox-b&dcr=0&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiXybX179TXAhUK34MKHV7wDfAQsAQIJw&biw=1222&bih=693

-Front door and closet to house.

-we will need the three characters .  Girl, Alien and babysitter..

-The alien ship , very simple cartoon type ship or whatever you like really.

Just let us know what you intend to model or if you already have a model done that is fine too.

Cheers

Post edited by mmoir on
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Hi Mike!

I'm at home today because I have the flu and my main computer render, render, render,....

If you don't have enought participants, don't hesitate to ask!

DUDU said:

Hi Mike!

I'm at home today because I have the flu and my main computer render, render, render,....

If you don't have enought participants, don't hesitate to ask!

I'm not Mike, but DUDU... we don't have enough participants. Please join us? wink

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

OK, tell me what I can do...

DUDU said:

OK, tell me what I can do...

I'll leave that part between you and Mike. I'm sure it mostly depends upon what you want to do ;)

Speaking of which, I'd like to offer my services to do as I did in last years Spooky Halloween animation, if you'd all like me to, which would be:

• Getting scenes that are ready to render, and I'll render them (not necessarily all render tasks if someone else does some)
    • Getting scenes that are ready to animate (certainly not all animation, just ones you want me to animate)
    • Getting all animated renders together for final edit
    • Applying sound and music to the final cut
    • Performing final post work to the final edit
    • Producing the final product

So if anyone has special sound/music/imagery files to be used, get them to me, if anyone works on title sequences, get them to me, etc.,

Animators can do their thing and either render the final shot(s) or get the saved .CAR file(s) to me and I'll render them, including any necessary lighting, render setup, etc., tasks that need to be done.

Scene creators (like what Mike did for Spooky) can assemble a basic blocked out scene with all of the models in it and send to me for animation of a particular sortyboard sequence, etc., etc.,

I'd be happy to model some of the scene necessities, but I'd rather see some of our more experienced Carrara modelers handle that ;)

Oh... and if I do, this time I'll keep an accurate list of EVERYONE involved in the project for the credits. Everyone!!!

I’ll have a go at a toony space ship :-)

• I can give modeling the living room a shot. Since we're keeping to a toon style, it shouldn't be too hard to whiip up something like your reference images.

Dudu, 

Do whatever you want to do.....  It looks like the spaceship and living room are spoken for by  Stezza and MDO2010.   You could model the Front interior entrance(door,closet) of the house or one of the three characters.

Great response guys.  

As for my post above, I am willing to do any or all of those things - certainly not saying that I WANT to do all of those things. Anyone sees something they want to do... please go for it!!! I would also be happy to help in any of those areas to anyone who wants to give them a shot - or perhaps Mike is planning on doing that stuff? Just offering my services is all ;)

Dart , I am hoping to get lots of people involved so whatever you have time to do or want to do is fine with me.    I am thinking I will model the little girl.   

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited November 2017

I come back for a few minutes to look at what has been going on while I havento been here in a while and what do I find. News about Hexagaon and a wonderful animation project again.

I could help with rendering as I have a few cores (64-96) to work with as I currently have a Trio of Z820's networked for rendering just have to try it out yet. Must confirm it will work first hopefully this weekend.

Post edited by chickenman on

Hey!  Welcome, Chickenman.  Great to see you posting.  Hope all is well.

RE: the animation project - I'd be happy to model something.  If it is not taken, I can model the TV and TV stand.  Or, whatever else might be useful.

edited November 2017

I’ll have a go at a toony space ship :-)

is this ok?

toon UFO.jpg
    800 x 600 - 257K
    Post edited by Stezza on