Dracorn's Render Thread

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    dracorn said:

Dance the Faery Ring and Steam Queens.  These loaded onto V4's brow surface. 

I'm getting ready to show off what I did, but boy did I have to finangle it. 

I can't get the steam queen eyebrows to show up at all, how did you manage that?

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    edited November 2017

I'll let you know - let me put it together with some renders and then I'll post it.

Post edited by dracorn on
    edited November 2017

How I got the Victoria 4 Brows to Work on G8F - Dance the Faery Ring and Steam Queens

I tried several approaches -
    Loading the brow into Diffuse Overlay Weight.  Note - this didn't work on Victoria 8 with her materials - it appeared faded.  I had to turn down Translucency Color for it to appear.

It did work with GDN Sarah, but the detail was lost.  I fiddled around with the settings, but the detail remained faded.

I then tried Layered Image Editor on GDN Sarah.  It worked but it was flat and had no separate adjustments.

Next I went to Photoshop and added it to the face texture.  While this worked, it appeared flat and I could not make any adjustments to it as a separate texture. It still didn't work with Victoria 8's settings.

Finally I had an idea - I loaded it to MRL Mutations geoshell.  It requires a little deconstruction to figure out the presets, but it works.  I also added Bevel to the texture in Photoshop to make appear more 3 dimensional.  I could then add Glossy Reflectivity to it for a shine.  Metal Flakes Weight removed the detail and replaced it with a flat metallic color.

You also have to use a no brow texture to make it work.  Brow Remover works wonders for this.  Brow Remover also creates a browless normal map - something that not every 3rd party character comes with.  Most of them use the normal from Victoria 8.

Note that this also works for Michael 8 as well.  I made presets for each brow I'm using, plus one with no maps loaded as a base to add other maps.

If you want to use your own maps, you will need both the map and a transparency map (white texture on black background) as a mask.

GDN Sarah with a Dance the Faery Ring brow.

I was able to add emission color to this one - basically following the example of MRL Mutations' flaming tattoos.  Turned off Glossy Color.

GDN Sarah with lava brows from Dance the Faery Ring.

By the way, you can load more than one geoshell onto your character with a separate texture for each.  The brows move with the expressions, too.

Dance the Faery Ring loaded onto MRL Mutations Geoshell.jpg
    700 x 700 - 261K
    Dance the Faery Ring loaded onto MRL Mutations Geoshell Emissive.jpg
    700 x 700 - 259K

Thanks!  It was driving me absolutely crazy!  I think these are originally for Poser and not really compatible with Daz.  The brows don't work in Studio on V4 either.

edited November 2017

I didn't try them on V4, but thanks for letting me know.  I have tried MRL Mutations geoshell on G2F - the shell fits, but the clear presets didn't.  Looks like I would need to do some manual settings and them save them as a preset.  I have not tried the geoshell on G1 or V4/M4.

I love the cool stuff for V4, especially the older Poser stuff by Arki that used to be available on Runtime DNA.  I have yet to try some of those things on G8.  Some are so elaborate that they may have to stay on V4.

edited December 2017

Playing around with Iray Light Probe Kit with Summoner's Cathedral of Sorrow:

Cath 03 1 hour.jpg
    900 x 600 - 435K
  • Oh, that cathedral looks very nice! I haven't played with the light set yet. That looks really good though.  :)

• KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,238
    dracorn said:

Playing around with Iray Light Probe Kit with Summoner's Cathedral of Sorrow:

Bellissimo smiley

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,146

That looks wonderful.  I bought the light set and hope I can be equally successful.  

Stunning!  Its on the wishlist but will pick it up as soon as I can

Thanks!  It was surprisingly easy to use. 

The new tip - scale the probes up to increase light without elevating the lumins.  This will reduce render time. 

I had originally rendered with high lumin values (1000 to 20,000) - it took an hour to render.  Then I enlarged the individual probes and lowered the lumin values to 1000 and below.  Render time was 24 minutes. 

See the commercial thread:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3100211/#Comment_3100211

• That is really beautiful! Nice job. :)

I broke down and picked them up after having a look at it again... I love his lighting products.

• Wow- well done!  I love seeing how other people kitbash and Frankenstein things together.  It's one of my hobbies. lol

Thanks, Darwin!

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,861

Your cathedral looks beautiful, nicely done, as does GDN Sarah. smiley

Thanks!  I've been experimenting a lot lately.

edited December 2017

Just playing around with AprilYSH's free OnFleek eyebrows - they work great on Michael.  In fact, they are so thick, they look better on him than they do on Victoria. 

Make sure you take off the eyebrow pencil. 

With the shape presets, I applied them so thick they stuck out from his face.  Great for those older guys with really bushy eyebrows.  Now I gotta wait for the Aging Morphs Bundle. 

OnFleek Eyebrows on G8M.jpg
    600 x 600 - 226K
  • Looks cool! I haven't downloaded it yet. I'll have to try them out soon.

I wondered what those were going to look like.  They look good on him!

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653

That looks amazing Dracorn!!! 

I was wondering why they were so thick for Vicky but now I know you can convert them over it makes it more versitile!!!

Eyebrows and eyelashes are just like hair and can fit other figures.  Same with beards.  I was able to fit Mech4D's Unshaven for G2M onto G8M.  I imagine you can use the freebie Bearded Lady for G3F on any of the men. 

edited December 2017

I just picked up Sean and Dan (aka Sam and Dean from Supernatural) from Rendo.  I still need to pick up some hair that works for Dean, but here's a render of Sam:

Sam Portrait 02.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 416K

Wow that's a pretty darn good likeness.  Love the lighting

• I didn't get the reference at first since I don't watch the show. I have heard of it and I might have seen one episode once. I do like the render though. I kind of like the rim lighting you have happening in it.

edited January 2018

I'm revisiting my character Marellian (G8F) and making some improvements.  Here's the original:

Her skin was too glossy.  I had picked up Anagenesis 2 so I decided to try it.

While I liked her lips, I didn't like the gold color pulled out of the skin, and the dramatic amber eyes turning brown.  So I decided to ditch the Anagenesis version and play around with the settings to reduce the gloss.  I like this version:

Now to the outfit.  Originally I used Tribal Spellcaster for G1.  I liked the look, but it kept exploding so I had to replace it.

Here's the new outfit, based on Elven for G3 with some kitbashing for the belts:

By the way, SY's Clothing Fit Helpers are the BEST for Boots!  Each morph is for a small section from the ankles to the thighs.  

_Marellian Photoshop Light 185 Portrait.jpg
    800 x 800 - 330K
    Marellian Anagenesis After, Dual Lobe Spec 0, Gloss adj.jpg
    800 x 800 - 435K
    Marellian Lower Glossy pixels fixed.jpg
    877 x 877 - 534K
    Marellian Tribal Spellcaster.jpg
    800 x 800 - 104K
    Marellian Elven Clothes FINAL.jpg
    560 x 800 - 167K
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653

You always have stunning characters Dracon!!

Thanks Saph.  I appreciate it.

• dracorn said:

I just picked up Sean and Dan (aka Sam and Dean from Supernatural) from Rendo.  I still need to pick up some hair that works for Dean, but here's a render of Sam:

Thank you for sharing your render of Sean. I really waffled on which one to purchase and chose Dan instead. Now I'll have to go back and get Sean cheeky

Trish

I find that a lot with Anagennesis as far as the eyes go.  I usually just go back after I've run it and re apply the eyes.

She looks great in both versions though and I like what you've done with the change in outfit.