Dracorn's Render Thread

Comments

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

There's WAY more that Geometry Editor can do than I know.  One tip that really made a difference for me:

Hold down the ALT key and you can remove selections. 

edited October 2017

So here's a Victoria 8 and Iray conversion of Enchanted Dreams, with a morph conversion of G1's Mina morph for the face.  Boss Pro Light Set.

Note that the skirt had to be loaded without the autofit, then parented in place.  When I tried auto fit, somehow it connected to the movement of her arms, and warped.

I used Allen Art's free gemstone materials - they really are beautiful. 

G8F Mina's Face, Enchanted Dreams Iray 07.jpg
    800 x 800 - 423K
    Cinderella G8 1400x1400.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 906K
    Post edited by dracorn on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Wow, that looks really good!  The dress looks like real fabric now.  And Allen Art's shaders are awesome.  

Thanks Sonja!  I'm still getting the hang of Iray and was happy this one turned out well.

• dracorn said:

So here's a Victoria 8 and Iray conversion of Enchanted Dreams, with a morph conversion of G1's Mina morph for the face.  Boss Pro Light Set.

I really like the conversion you did. My first thought was that you had rendered "Glinda the good witch" from the Wizard Oz even though your character isn't a strawberry blonde smiley

Trish

dracorn said:

I really like the conversion you did. My first thought was that you had rendered "Glinda the good witch" from the Wizard Oz even though your character isn't a strawberry blonde smiley

Trish

Wow, Trish - that's a really cool idea.   Retexture the dress and hair, put a wand in her right hand... Sounds like fun!

edited November 2017

Render Diary - Ghost Fleet (Part 2 Iray)

Part 1 (3Delight) is located here:             https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2509871/#Comment_2509871

Just in case you were wondering, I didn't do this for Halloween, even though I finished it then.  I let it wait a day and made a couple more changes.

Change to Iray

I decided to redo this in Iray.  So I converted the Prince and he looked pretty darn good. 

Original 3DL:

Iray Conversion:

I used Marshian's Rim Light Rig Iray for the lighting. 

The 3DL skeleton used Age of Armor's Metalized Glass, which are lovely shaders, but I needed something in Iray, so I used Anodized Shaders for Iray.

Original 3DL:

Iray Conversion:

Michael 4 Skeleton is low res, so I had to do some cleanup in Photoshop to remove some unrealistic looking geometry.  Mind you, I did this before the new M8 Skeleton came out.

I loaded both renders into Photoshop, with the Prince in a layer above the skeleton.  I reduced the opacity on the Prince layer so I could see the skeleton underneath, then I carefully used the eraser tool to remove portions of the Prince so that the skeleton would show underneath.  This afforded me much more control then rendering with the Prince set at a lower Cutout Opacity value.

Ghost 01 3DL.jpg
    720 x 600 - 161K
    Ghost 03 Iray.jpg
    900 x 750 - 274K
    Ghost 02 3DL.jpg
    800 x 800 - 321K
    Ghost 04 Iray.jpg
    900 x 750 - 249K
    Ghost 03.jpg
    900 x 750 - 315K
    edited November 2017

The Background

I started with a nice spooky sky from a Pixabay stock photo, which allowed me to place the bright clouds behind the prince's head.

I used the HMS Victory, and added gray to the Base Diffuse to make the ship darker, then rendered several of them with different pitches and rolls.  These I added to their own separate layers, and then darkened them a little more.  In successive layers, I added a shadow on the water, the wake, ghost wisps for the crew, fog and spooky blue fog.

Additional FX on the Prince

Finally I used Ron's brushes to add spooky effects on the prince for that ghostly look.

Ghost Fleet Signature 900x750.jpg
    900 x 750 - 573K
  • That looks amazing! I love how he turned out. Great job.  :)

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653

That is some really stunning work Dracorn, I mean holy cow it looks like he is really scarey and cool all at the same time.

Holy wow!

Thanks Saph, Sonja, KM!

Yeah, this was an idea I had been kicking around for a while and wasn't sure if I could pull it off.  It was inspired by the ghosts in the Lord of the Rings movie, and the technique was inspired by Shannon Maer (not quite the same, but the idea of pulling an image beneath the main one).

Shannon's tutorial on Photoshop skin painting:

The combination of Rim Light Rig Iray and Ron's brushes really turned out well - I wanted him spooky without making him transparent.  I used several ghost pics on the internet for that inspiration.

dracorn said:

Thanks Saph, Sonja, KM!

Yeah, this was an idea I had been kicking around for a while and wasn't sure if I could pull it off.  It was inspired by the ghosts in the Lord of the Rings movie, and the technique was inspired by Shannon Maer (not quite the same, but the idea of pulling an image beneath the main one).

Shannon's tutorial on Photoshop skin painting:

The combination of Rim Light Rig Iray and Ron's brushes really turned out well - I wanted him spooky without making him transparent.  I used several ghost pics on the internet for that inspiration.

Oh, I've watched that tutorial a couple of times, its very good!

edited November 2017

So Stormlyght ​had but the bug in my ear to do Glenda the Good Witch.  So I took my Cinderella render and retextured it.

I used a combination of Iray fabrics, plus some 3DL fabric shaders form Ye Olde Clothe, which I then converted to Iray.  You wouldn't think that it would take so long to get a good selection of fabric, but let me tell you.  Just picking out pink patterns and getting them to look good together was time consuming.

Then I realized that I had accidentally used 3DL materials for her skin, so I had to change that too. 

For the wand, I used a staff from an old DM's set and made it long and thin.  I searched for a free star shape and flattened it and parented it to the staff. After some retexturing, we have Glenda's magic wand. 

All that was left to do was add some of Ron's Glitter and Angel Dust effects and my signature.

"Are You a Good Witch or a Bad Witch?"

You know, I think she may feel a little like Sleeping Beauty, going from blue to pink...

Glenda 1000x1000 Post.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 953K
    Cinderella G8 1400x1400.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 906K
  • Oh, I like the Cinderella image. Looks really good. I like both images but the Cinderella one turned out really nice. I like all of the sparkles, too. Excellent job.

Ron's Brushes.  Ron rocks.

edited November 2017

MRL Mutations does work on Michael 8!  You need the Genesis 8 UV Swap for the skins to work.

The geoshell loads just fine for Michael 7 and Michael 8. 

Skins load fine on M8 too.  However, because the eye surfaces are different, the eyes don't work right.  That was the same problem I was having with V8, too.  I was fiddling around with it and haven't been able to get that to look good yet.

M8 MRL Mutations 01.jpg
    800 x 800 - 139K
    M8 MRL Mutations 02.jpg
    800 x 800 - 169K
    M8 MRL Mutations 03.jpg
    800 x 800 - 232K
  • dracorn said:

So Stormlyght ​had but the bug in my ear to do Glenda the Good Witch.  So I took my Cinderella render and retextured it.

I used a combination of Iray fabrics, plus some 3DL fabric shaders form Ye Olde Clothe, which I then converted to Iray.  You wouldn't think that it would take so long to get a good selection of fabric, but let me tell you.  Just picking out pink patterns and getting them to look good together was time consuming.

Then I realized that I had accidentally used 3DL materials for her skin, so I had to change that too. 

For the wand, I used a staff from an old DM's set and made it long and thin.  I searched for a free star shape and flattened it and parented it to the staff. After some retexturing, we have Glenda's magic wand. 

All that was left to do was add some of Ron's Glitter and Angel Dust effects and my signature.

"Are You a Good Witch or a Bad Witch?"

You know, I think she may feel a little like Sleeping Beauty, going from blue to pink...

Those are amazing! I love your version of Glinda The Good Witch wink

Trish

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

The glinda renders are absolutely fantastic!  Thank you for describing your process, it is really helpful.  I don't think I would ever have thought of turning a staff into a wand and adding a star. This has been a mini kitbashing tutorial indeed.

Thanks Stormlyght ​and Worlds_Edge.  It was fun.

Not sure if I want to try dForce with a circle skirt, though... 

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Doitdoitdoit  LOL

Doitdoitdoit  LOL

Nooooo lol.  Cinderella may either explode, or get blown away lol.  On the other hand that could be quite interesting!

edited November 2017

I'm still trying to figure out how to use dForce. 

But I think I will give it a go for the heck of it.  I'll post the results... good or bad.   At best, the the hoop will collapse and the skirt will drape to the floor.  he he

At worst - well, we've seen what happens.

Somebody asked where Enchanted Dreams can be found.  To my dismay, it appears that it disappeared with RDNA.  I did an internet search and only found textures and galleries.  My readme file says it's dated 2014 - which isn't that old to abandon.  Too bad.

edited November 2017

I did a pretty good job with the sale this time.  Of course, a coupon for Zev0 because I already own Bend Control for G8F sure helps.

Sale.jpg
    1161 x 866 - 160K

That's impressive!  I ended up getting the bundle for bend control around $8 but its the first time i've bought the bend control items.

I'm playing around with getting the V4 eyebrow decorations to look good on G8F.  It's not as simple as I would like for Iray.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,653

I do not think anything you do to revamp anything in daz is as easy as you want it to be smiley!!

Yeah, tell me about it.  They were designed for 3DL to go on the V4 brow surface, and trying to get them to look good in Iray has been a pain in the patootie.

dracorn said:

I'm playing around with getting the V4 eyebrow decorations to look good on G8F.  It's not as simple as I would like for Iray.

Which ones?

edited November 2017

Dance the Faery Ring and Steam Queens.  These loaded onto V4's brow surface. 

I'm getting ready to show off what I did, but boy did I have to finangle it.