Carrara Challenge #36 - Pinups and Cheesecake and Hunks - Oh My! - WIP Thread --Meet Ringo Monfort!

Comments

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

DustRider, thank you a lot for your kind words and for the compliments! I admire your work. Do you render with Octane?

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    Vyusur said:

DustRider, thank you a lot for your kind words and for the compliments! I admire your work. Do you render with Octane?

Your quite welcome, and thank you!

With Carrara I usually use Octane (almost always - I really like it), it's a fantastic product. With DS, I usually use Iray, but have the Octane for DS pligin as well. With DS it's a matter of being lazy. Octane is slightly faster to render, but with Iray most of the work is already done because the Iray shaders are usually a great starting point, with quick and easy minor tweaking to make them "just right", with Octane it takes a lot more work to make the shaders "right". Qctane is also a lot more system friendly on my laptop than Iray. Iray uses one CPU thread while rendering, and Octane doesn't hardly touch the CPU, so the fans don't work as hard with Octane. I still think the Octane plugin for Carrara was one of the best things to happened to Carrara. If DAZ had kept up with Genesis compatibility in Carrara, I'm sure I'd still be using it a lot.

Do you have Misty's plugin for Genesis 3? If so, how do you like it? I was also wondering how you got your Genesis 8 characters in Carrara? I haven't been spending much time on the forums lately (last 6 months??), so I've probably missed some important info, so I"ll apologize in advance for any stupid questions I may have asked blush

DustRider said:
    Vyusur said:

With Carrara I usually use Octane (almost always - I really like it), it's a fantastic product. With DS, I usually use Iray, but have the Octane for DS pligin as well. With DS it's a matter of being lazy. Octane is slightly faster to render, but with Iray most of the work is already done because the Iray shaders are usually a great starting point, with quick and easy minor tweaking to make them "just right", with Octane it takes a lot more work to make the shaders "right". Qctane is also a lot more system friendly on my laptop than Iray. Iray uses one CPU thread while rendering, and Octane doesn't hardly touch the CPU, so the fans don't work as hard with Octane. I still think the Octane plugin for Carrara was one of the best things to happened to Carrara. If DAZ had kept up with Genesis compatibility in Carrara, I'm sure I'd still be using it a lot.

Do you have Misty's plugin for Genesis 3? If so, how do you like it? I was also wondering how you got your Genesis 8 characters in Carrara? I haven't been spending much time on the forums lately (last 6 months??), so I've probably missed some important info, so I"ll apologize in advance for any stupid questions I may have asked blush

I completely agree with you on Octane and Iray comparison. I use Misty's G3 figures a lot and I like them very much. For my last entry I used Misty's G8 Beta figure. The most hard part was to conform clothing and hair to it. And I had to correct some geometry right on the figure in Carrara's modeling room (hair for example).

• Vyusur said:

I guess, no one of you can recognize this person. Here I attach the photo of my model and my inspiration which I used as reference. I am going to paint a new skin for her and to complete this my model.

Nice camera work!  I think I would have enjoyed attending that photoshoot.smileycheeky

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited November 2017

Trying to scratch together one more entry at the end.  I was really only playing around with a new prop set I picked up free in the latest plat club event (the hot tub veranda) and figured I would also test out some wet maps from SimonWM I picked up a while back.  Trying to decide on a GMIC filter to use...

HotTubHottiesSetup.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    HotTubHotties.png
    1600 x 900 - 2M
    Post edited by Jonstark on
    Jonstark said:

Trying to scratch together one more entry at the end.  I was really only playing around with a new prop set I picked up free in the latest plat club event (the hot tub veranda) and figured I would also test out some wet maps from SimonWM I picked up a while back.  Trying to decide on a GMIC filter to use...

Nice, I like the water FX!!

edited November 2017

Ok, this was a long journey for a simple render, but then most of mine usually are. I did keep the hat from the original image, and I used the same scene as the original as well (didn't show that in the initial posting). I went to my library of V4 clothing for the dress and necklace. the character is one of my Genesis 1 characters, and the skin is from Princess for Genesis 1 by Thorn. I'm always amazed at the detailing in some of the old V4 outfits, and how well I can bring them out with Octane. I wish that I had more time to work on the skin shaders, and I'm not really happy with the hair, but it will have to do for now.

I used 4 plane based mesh lights for lighting. For this final version I added the trick or treat bag, which I got for free here (an old RDNA Item), but I had to modify it in the vertex room to "close" it so she could carry it (something I really miss when using DS, the dForm tool in DS is a real pain to use compared to using the modeler in Carrara).

Carrara scene and render in the OC4C render view-port.

The final render, with the sig added in post. Be sure to zoom to full resolution to see all the great details on the outfit.

Halloween Witch Initial2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 494K
    Witch2 16bit2_Sig.jpg
    2200 x 2800 - 696K
    Post edited by DustRider on

Ok, this was a long journey for a simple render, but then most of mine usually are. I did keep the hat from the original image, and I used the same scene as the original as well (didn't show that in the initial posting). I went to my library of V4 clothing for the dress and necklace. the character is one of my Genesis 1 characters, and the skin is from Princess for Genesis 1 by Thorn. I'm always amazed at the detailing in some of the old V4 outfits, and how well I can bring them out with Octane. I wish that I had more time to work on the skin shaders, and I'm not really happy with the hair, but it will have to do for now.

I used 4 plane based mesh lights for lighting. For this final version I added the trick or treat bag, which I got for free here (an old RDNA Item), but I had to modify it in the vertex room to "close" it so she could carry it (something I really miss when using DS, the dForm tool in DS is a real pain to use compared to using the modeler in Carrara).

Carrara scene and render in the OC4C render view-port.

The final render, with the sig added in post. Be sure to zoom to full resolution to see all the great details on the outfit.

Vyusur said:
    DustRider said:
    Vyusur said:

I completely agree with you on Octane and Iray comparison. I use Misty's G3 figures a lot and I like them very much. For my last entry I used Misty's G8 Beta figure. The most hard part was to conform clothing and hair to it. And I had to correct some geometry right on the figure in Carrara's modeling room (hair for example).

Thanks for the info! I usually need to tweak a few things in the model room too, my last entry was one of the few times I've been able to use all of the included model morphs to fix poke through.

• Jonstark said:

Jon, I look forward to seeing how this turns out!  It sure is fun pulling new stuff out of the library, and seeing where the creativity leads.

DustRider said:

Everything - including the hair - looks great to me!  Thanks for the huge render.  Those textures really are remarkable.

For all you last-minute renderers - there are still three full days until voting begins.  A veritable eternity.  Git er done!

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

terrific renders with Octane here! well done yes

Vyusur said:

I guess, no one of you can recognize this person. Here I attach the photo of my model and my inspiration which I used as reference. I am going to paint a new skin for her and to complete this my model.

Nice camera work!  I think I would have enjoyed attending that photoshoot.smileycheeky

Thank you very much, UnifiedBrain! I'm glad you like my photowork.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited November 2017
    PhilW said:

Great profile - and showcase - for Ringo.

I'm working on another image for a late entry with a Halloween theme, just a relatively quick one based on one of the fifties Halloween pinups which were posted earlier in the thread. Here are some WIP screen shots. It will be another Octane render.

Phil, you put this render directly in the entry thread without posting here, so we never got to comment.

Truly wonderful composition.  And the lighting in this is just incredible! (see the full sized image)  Octane and PhilW, both at their finest.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Sorry UB, but I'm glad you like it and thanks for posting it here as well.

edited November 2017

Emulating a similar technique to what Holly Wetcircuit did in an image a while back and also similar to what D3an did, which Headwax reposted not long ago along with D3an's technique:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2793596/#Comment_2793596

After messing around a bit, I'm using a loosely similar approach, Made nearly all surfaces within the scene white and with a slight bit of glow (10%).  Only exceptions are the pupil, eyebrow transparency (which are dead black), hair shader (which is same as the default for the model), and lips, iris and nipple (which are all grey).  Single distant light at 50% with a white background, and rendered using GI at 100% but not real global illumination, instead using only ambient occlusion set at 20.  Oh, and the light is purposely using buffered shadows intead of raytrace, raytrace gives way too sharp of a shadow and doesn't seem to mix with this style at all.

I'm also using Toon Pro render plugin for Carrara, which actually encompasses the regular renderer and simply adds some fields for adding lines.  Could have achieved nearly the same effect using the method D3an describes of doing 2 renders, one with NPR and one with the PR, and then multiplying them as layers in Gimp, but hey I'm lazy and I wanted to try to make Toon Pro work for me  :)  Added a GMIC filter of 'film emulation add grain' after playing with a bunch of different filters and really liking the subtle effect it adds.  

Draw4.png
    1200 x 1600 - 2M
    Draw2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 555K

Jon - really liking the style in that one!

• a late start,

thats how far i got for now.

a lot of old thing get way to shiny.

it's a file bug.

just to add a setup image

demonness1 setup.png
    1114 x 879 - 607K
  • Jonstark said:

Emulating a similar technique to what Holly Wetcircuit did in an image a while back and also similar to what D3an did, which Headwax reposted not long ago along with D3an's technique:

After messing around a bit, I'm using a loosely similar approach, Made nearly all surfaces within the scene white and with a slight bit of glow (10%).  Only exceptions are the pupil, eyebrow transparency (which are dead black), hair shader (which is same as the default for the model), and lips, iris and nipple (which are all grey).  Single distant light at 50% with a white background, and rendered using GI at 100% but not real global illumination, instead using only ambient occlusion set at 20.  Oh, and the light is purposely using buffered shadows intead of raytrace, raytrace gives way too sharp of a shadow and doesn't seem to mix with this style at all.

I'm also using Toon Pro render plugin for Carrara, which actually encompasses the regular renderer and simply adds some fields for adding lines.  Could have achieved nearly the same effect using the method D3an describes of doing 2 renders, one with NPR and one with the PR, and then multiplying them as layers in Gimp, but hey I'm lazy and I wanted to try to make Toon Pro work for me  :)  Added a GMIC filter of 'film emulation add grain' after playing with a bunch of different filters and really liking the subtle effect it adds.  

That's a really cool effect. Kind of makes me want to get out my colored pencils and color. laugh

• Jonstark said:

I remember that post.  Very nice variation of de3AN's instructions, Jon!

• just to add a setup image

Thanks.  Looking good.

Ok so real life has been a bit busy and I'm way behind in commenting on some of the fabulous work that's been put up in this thread lately, I've been watching and admiring, but wanted to make some quick comments.  :)

Philw that skin is lovely and looks so glowy with life, also you mentioned it was all done in Octane, I didn't even realize it was possible to get the bloom and glare effects that way, simply terrific. :) 

DustRider said:

Wow this came out very well in the end, I know you mentioned you faced a bit of frustration when wrangling with this one Dustrider (I know the feeling!) but it was certainly worth the time and trouble!  The distance blur because of the focus makes it feel like she's stepping out of a miniatures scene, something very cozy and charming about this, as well as sensous.  Very well done!

DustRider said:

A very crisp and clean setup and render, looks dazzling.  Did you make the blocks yourself, or are they repurposed from an existing set?  I like the way the light sparkles through them.  Skin and hair of the girl are impeccable.  I also use a mix of glossy and specular in my skin shaders in Octane, I'm pretty sure I picked that method up from a forum thread and I haven't looked back since.

Diomede said:

I liked the original, but this newest version is so incredibly improved, makes a huge difference.  The expression on the guy's face is priceless.  :)  Made me chuckle!

Philemo said:

Final image

Classic sci-fi feel, takes me back to when I was in middle school and would cut classes to hide out in the town library instead, reading things like the Lensman series.  Love the nostalgia on this one.

Vyusur said:

This one is so languid sexy, I'm not surprised at all that it was based off a real photoshoot, because it just looks so real.  However I had to look twice at the hair, and then had to crane my neck around to look closer. Is it a hat with some sort of feathers built in?  BTW just as an aside I love watching your modelling videos.  I've learned a ton just by zoning out to the music and watching you work.

a late start,

thats how far i got for now.

a lot of old thing get way to shiny.

it's a file bug.

just to add a setup image

Shlomi, I think the posing is great on this one.  The demon lord looks as happy as if he just won the lottery :)  Not sure if the demoness on the right is stuffing something down her pants or not, but her expression seems to suggest she's up to something :)

DustRider said:
    Jonstark said:

Nice, I like the water FX!!

Thanks dustrider, it's just one of the standard water shaders that comes with Carrara (I suspect developed by Ringo) the one for turbulent water GI.

PhilW said:

Jon - really liking the style in that one!

Thanks!  I stole shamelessly from the work of others, but I am using a slightly different approach, so I'll hog some of the glory lol.  laugh

MDO2010 said:
    Jonstark said:

That's a really cool effect. Kind of makes me want to get out my colored pencils and color. laugh

Lol, I feel a little the same, but after all the setup work that went into pulling out the colors and rendering black and white, it would seem slightly perverse to color it back in...   

Jonstark said:

I remember that post.  Very nice variation of de3AN's instructions, Jon!

I think I have solved (entirely by accident) a limitation of the prior approaches of both D3an and Holly, namely the problem of having eyebrows and eyelashes.  In Holly's approach, she makes the skin glow 100% to ensure things are either black or white, which works fine for clothes and most parts of skin, but for eyebrows it doesn't matter if you set up a transparency to make black eyebrows, the glow will still drown them out.  Same problem for other body parts that you want to be apparent and not blend into the whiteness, like lips (and nipples if you're doing a nude).  Also with that amount of glow in the skin it's never going to show any shadows on the skin itself, instead any shadows that might land are going to get swallowed up in the glow and all goes to white.  D3an's approach wasn't using glow, but rather to crank the ambient scene lighting all the way up to 450%, which is so high you have to make the skin nearly black before it is visible in the render as anything other than white.   Instead I only set the ambient scene light to 100%, and the extra glow on the skin is very minor, only 10%.  I can still get pretty good black and white and grey shading for shadows simply by use of ambient occlusion, and since neither the glow nor the ambient lighting isn't super high but rather within relatively normal levels, I can actually use scene lights in the scene and get shadowing in the right areas.  I keep playing with this approach because it's currently tickling my fancy, refining it a little bit here and there, but it seems to work well in nearly all scenarios (alright I haven't tried all that many scenarios, in fairness since I just glommed onto this lol, but I think it might be a keeper).  

edited November 2017

I'm actually thinking of switching out my NPR entry, but I'm hesitant.  The first one isn't particularly overtly sexy, but is kind of sweet and innocent.  Was playing with the method and did this one instead, which might have the opposite problem. The clothing isn't at all transparent, but with the black and white approach here it kind of looks like it is.

Draw8.png
    1200 x 1600 - 2M
    edited November 2017

Jonstark, thank you very much for your kind words! I'm glad you like my videos.
    As for her hair, I guess it's feathered wig, it is "Yolande Hair" by Aprilysh. I wanted to achieve feathered feeling in my work.
    BTW, cool BW style in your pictures. I have to try it myself. Your first BW composition looks more finished (imo).

Post edited by Vyusur on

Jon, I see what you mean but on balance I'd still go for your first one.

• Jon, thanks for all those details about your workflow.  I'll have to try it when I have the time.  I also need to get Toonpro.  Probably more questions then.smiley

I like both of your images.  A bit less nipple protrusion whould make the 2nd on look more clothed.

• Well, here we are, the final day for you to create and submit a pinup.  Astounding work so far!

It's also the final day to make any tweaks to entries you have already posted.  Will a clever caption put the finishing touch on your near-masterpiece?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103

Second one reminds me of Princess Teegra from Fire & Ice (Bakshi/Frazetta)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103

Wonderful Art, everyone!

Bravo!