Freebie: How to create a V4 clone (and transfer other figures) for G8F (now with video!)

mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,500
edited June 2018 in Freebies

(June 3rd: Video tutorial now available https://youtu.be/og6YYWasj74 Procedure is slightly different though.)

(August 26: Adjusted title, discovered more possible with this process)

(August 26: Fixed Typo)

As I’m procrastinating on my other tutorial, I thought I’d do a quick tutorial on how to create a V4 clone for G8F. The V4 clone is very strange, in that we must create a V4 shape of G8F in the T-pose rather than the A pose of the other clones. 

Creating this clone is rather straightforward: we must use a pre-existing figure’s V4 clone and “copy” its shape over to G8F.

Please note that this clone is purely meant to save time for future renders, as it is effectively the same as fitting V4 clothing to Genesis, then fitting again to G8F. However, this can be adapted to transfer other clones as well.

There's also another easy way to transfer the G8F shape to Genesis 3/2/1, which I can post if enough people are interested.

And finally, please let me know if you have any trouble with this tutorial, or if there are any typos. :)

Preparation:

1. Load Genesis or any figure you own that has a V4 clone. This tutorial uses Genesis because it comes with the V4 clone with additional purchases.

Note: You must load Genesis and not Basic Female!

2. In the Parameters Tab, click on the hamburger button and make sure “Show Hidden Properties” is checked.

3. In the Parameters Tab, click on Genesis/Hidden/Clones.

a. Locate the Victoria 4 morph. Click on the gear and select “Parameter Settings…”

b. Uncheck “Locked” and “Use Limits”, then hit Accept.

c. Dial the Victoria 4 morph to 1.

4. Set Genesis to Base Resolution, then export it as an OBJ. Name it such that you can identify it as the Victoria 4 shape.

Creating the clone:

1. Load “Genesis 8 Female Dev Load”.

2. Fit Genesis onto Genesis 8 Female. Select Genesis/Full-Body in the Autofit configuration.

Note: Depending on how many Genesis Assets you have, this may take a while to process.

3. Confirm that Genesis now looks like Genesis 8 Female. If Genesis does not have female features, then the incorrect auto-fit setting was used.

4. Once it is fitted, hide Genesis 8 Female, then export Genesis as an OBJ. Name it such that you can identify it as the Genesis 8 Female shape.

5. Delete Genesis, then load a fresh copy of Genesis into the scene.

6. Select Genesis, then select Edit/Figure/Geometry/Update Base Geometry. Select Update Vertex Positions, then load the Genesis-G8F shape.

7. Unhide Genesis 8 Female. Both Genesis and G8F should resemble each other now. Under the Transfer Utility, transfer Genesis into G8F using the following settings:

- Source: Genesis/Default

- Target: Genesis 8 Female/Default

- Projection Template: None

- Only check “Smart Left/Right Filtering”, “Use Near Vertices”, and “Weight Maps”

8. Fit G8F onto Genesis.

9. Using Morph Loader Pro, load the Genesis-V4 shape onto Genesis.

10. Dial in the Genesis-V4 shape on Genesis, and G8F should follow the morph exactly. 

11. Hide Genesis, then set G8F to Base Resolution and export it as an OBJ.

Loading the Clone:

1. Clear the Scene and load a fresh copy of “Genesis 8 Female Dev Load”.

2. Using Morph Loader Pro, load the G8F-V4 shape just created. Make sure the Property Group is set to Hidden/Clones.

3. Select Genesis 8 Female. Under the Parameters Tab, enter Hidden/Clones.

4. Enter the properties of the newly created clone morph, then change the Type to Modifier/Clone.

5. To test, try fitting a full-body V4 item to G8F. The V4 clone should now appear.

Saving the Clone:

1. To save the clone, select Genesis 8 Female then File/Save As/Support Asset/Morph Asset.

2. Under Genesis 8 Female, drill down to Hidden/Clone and select the V4 Clone. Choose your library or any appropriate save location, then hit Accept.

3. To confirm that it is saved, close and reopen DAZ Studio, then load G8F and check under Hidden/Clones.

Post edited by mtl1 on

Comments

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,500
    edited August 2017

And some results... J-Suit and Gothic Mistress for V4. As expected, there's some severe V-tearing on the dress.

edit: Upon further reflection, there's also less cling-wrap along the chest area with the dress. This is due to G8F's Genesis clone having a flat chest.

edit2: As mentioned here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2765001/#Comment_2765001 I'm also adapting this for transferring morphs/characters between figures. Results can be questionable sometimes since this method does not take into account the rigging of the figure.

edit3: To prevent further bumping, I'm just going up update this thread. I've managed to transfer a Genesis Troll to G8F one-to-one quite nicely... but it took a lot of work. Not sure if it's worth it since Sickleyield's method also exists.

jsuit.PNG
    471 x 630 - 104K
    gothic.PNG
    466 x 630 - 179K
    troll.PNG
    524 x 526 - 589K
    Post edited by mtl1 on
  • GlennFGlennF Posts: 141

Thank You

This worked out great.

• dakkuuandakkuuan Posts: 305

Thanks this worked incredibly well.

• Sky77Sky77 Posts: 820

Thanks for the tutorial!   I can't wait to try it out. 

I for one would definitely be interested in the G8F shape for G3/G2G1!

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276

This is amazing!!! Ahhhh It works so well! 

Here's G8F wearing Crazy Nights for V4 and Cats Meow Hair for V4 thanks to your awesome tutorial:

Thank you SO MUCH!! This is going to save so much time! :D Now my G8F wardrobe just got a MAJOR boost! THANK YOU!! yeslaugh

Did you ever figure a way to get this method to transfer character morphs between generations?

PS - I can't believe more people don't know about this thread! Having a V4 clone for G8F is HUGE! :D

I made an Aiko 3 clone for G8F also - your tutorial is SO GOOD! 

Thank you so much for this! It's so cool to be able to wear A3 and V4 clothing on G8F without the hastle of loading them to G1 first then saving as a wearable preset. This is great!!

I made a Star clone for G8F thanks to your tutorial! This is one of the best things ever! Thank you so much for this great tutorial! :D

So, thanks to your tutorial I now have an A3 clone, V4 clone, and Star clone for Genesis 8 Female. It's expanded my wardrobe by a TON! 

Thank you, mtl1! You're awesome! 

• Phoenix1966Phoenix1966 Posts: 1,554

Thanks for this! I used it to create an M4 clone and now can use some of my favorite outfits on Michael 8. Here he is wearing Jack of Hearts for M4. The collar of the vest is a little troublesome (as are the boot heels), but that is so minor (and something I can probably tweak.

jack_sam.png
    1607 x 2600 - 3M

Thanks for this! I used it to create an M4 clone and now can use some of my favorite outfits on Michael 8. Here he is wearing Jack of Hearts for M4. The collar of the vest is a little troublesome (as are the boot heels), but that is so minor (and something I can probably tweak.

Oh nice! :D Sean is lookin' good in M4's gear! But then again, Sean would look good in pretty much anything. lol :)

• This has worked great for me!  So far I have clones for A3, A4, V3 & V4 on G8F and H3, H4, M3 & M4 on G8M using this method.  Still have a few more to clone over from generations 3 and 4 but very easy once you get the hang of it.

• Phoenix1966Phoenix1966 Posts: 1,554

Oh nice! :D Sean is lookin' good in M4's gear! But then again, Sean would look good in pretty much anything. lol :)

Thanks! This is such a great freebie because I can salvage so many of my favorite M4 outfits (Uzilite and Luthbel, to name two creators).

• So is this..."Genesis 8 Female Dev Load" something that comes with Genesis 8 or do you need to get it somewhere?

Thanks.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    KevinH said:

So is this..."Genesis 8 Female Dev Load" something that comes with Genesis 8 or do you need to get it somewhere?

Thanks.

It is in the Starter Essentials product

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

It comes with the free Genesis 8 Female Starter Essentials. You can find it under the Content Library tab as follows:

DAZ Studio Formats > "your content library name" > People > Genesis 8 Female > Developer Kit

• CriosCrios Posts: 2,646

Worked really well, V4 dress are great on Genesis 8 Female.

Just a question : can i redistribuite the morph created?

• Thanks @barbult and @SixDs for helping me find this file.

• Great tutorial!

Just one question -

I've managed to make the clone, and I choose it when fitting a dress to G8F, but how do I get rid of the V-tearing?

• Thanks a bunch @mtl1 :)
    I will try it in the week a bit later, this is great freebie !! ^_^

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518
    Crios said:

I doubt it.

Thanks for the tutorial, worked great!

• Crios said:

I doubt it.

Why? This is the relevant part of the EULA:

Three Dimensional Works. DAZ wishes to encourage the expansion of the catalog of Content available to its users. Accordingly, User may access, use, copy, and modify the Content to create one or more derived or additional three-dimensional works provided that:

• any such derived or additional three-dimensional works are designed to require or encourage the use of CRT Content available through the online DAZ store either by (i) requiring the use of such CRT Content to function, or (ii) allowing only limited function when not used in conjunction with CRT Content from the online DAZ store;

A G8 V4 clone is a highly limited morph of existing DAZ content requiring DAZ content to use, promoting the use of both older and newer DAZ content in conjunction, and seems to fall into this perfectly. But people are always kneejerk terrified of distributing clones. Does DAZ have a history of going after people who do this? Because I wouldn't expect it.

• Crios said:

I doubt it.

Three Dimensional Works. DAZ wishes to encourage the expansion of the catalog of Content available to its users. Accordingly, User may access, use, copy, and modify the Content to create one or more derived or additional three-dimensional works provided that:

• any such derived or additional three-dimensional works are designed to require or encourage the use of CRT Content available through the online DAZ store either by (i) requiring the use of such CRT Content to function, or (ii) allowing only limited function when not used in conjunction with CRT Content from the online DAZ store;

A G8 V4 clone is a highly limited morph of existing DAZ content requiring DAZ content to use, promoting the use of both older and newer DAZ content in conjunction, and seems to fall into this perfectly. But people are always kneejerk terrified of distributing clones. Does DAZ have a history of going after people who do this? Because I wouldn't expect it.

The shape cloned belongs to the creators, in the case of Victoria 4 Daz. A clone allows the use of content for that shape on another figure, it does not require the use of the original figure itself. So my reading of the EULA, which Daz has acted on, is that distributing a clone of a Daz shape for another figure (even another Daz figure) requires permission in advance.

• Crios said:

I doubt it.

The shape cloned belongs to the creators, in the case of Victoria 4 Daz. A clone allows the use of content for that shape on another figure, it does not require the use of the original figure itself. So my reading of the EULA, which Daz has acted on, is that distributing a clone of a Daz shape for another figure (even another Daz figure) requires permission in advance.

I'm extremely disappointed to hear this. They should really clarify that since if something that only uses DAZ content to permit DAZ content to be used with DAZ content is unacceptable under that wording it casts doubt on what exactly is permissible at all.

• y3kmany3kman Posts: 765

Thanks! It works. Finally made my V4 and M4 clones for G8F and G8M respectively.

You can't do this for cross compatibility (eg. M4 clothes on G8F), right?

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,500

Hello everyone, sorry I haven't been checking the thread -- work and babies are taking a huge chunk of my time. Your support and kind words for this tutorial is greatly appreciated.

I might post a few more things during the small time I have during the Christmas break, before the new school semester starts.

If anyone needs to directly contact me, try PMing me; that *should* ping my inbox directly.

• mtl1 said:

Hello everyone, sorry I haven't been checking the thread -- work and babies are taking a huge chunk of my time. Your support and kind words for this tutorial is greatly appreciated.

I might post a few more things during the small time I have during the Christmas break, before the new school semester starts.

If anyone needs to directly contact me, try PMing me; that *should* ping my inbox directly.

Yeah but before you're such of busy... I want tell you Thanks for this tutorial!
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932
    y3kman said:
    You can't do this for cross compatibility (eg. M4 clothes on G8F), right?

I don't see why you could not transfer the M4 clone morph from Genesis to G8F in the same way.

• TryhardTryhard Posts: 166

So I noticed some people in this thread managed to get Generation 3 (A3, H3) morphs onto Genesis 8 figures.

I been trying to fit Genesis 1 with A3 shape on Genesis 8 but all I keep ending up with is this:

https://imgur.com/a/2h1oW

ANyone mind giving me helping hand with this?

• mmkdazmmkdaz Posts: 335

Thank you for this tutorial! There was just one step I was missing!

• I have an issue in Step 6 of Creating the Clone, which states to:

​"6. Select Genesis, then select Edit/Figure/Geometry/Update Base Geometry. Select Update Vertex Positions, then load the Genesis-G8F shape."

​As soon as I load the Genesis-G8F shape, a message pops up that states:

​"Imcompatible Geometry"
    "The loaded geometry does not match the geometry it is updating.  Vertex and facet count must be the same."

Does anybody know where I am going wrong?