Realistic Renders... NOT!! 12 "And we're back in the room!"

Comments

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Sheesh! I got to page 6 and my brain hurt. I did find the manual and have downloaded and installed Luxrender. I'll need more time and a clearer head to digest that little lot.

CHEERS!

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,787
    edited April 2013

I have experimented with hybrid mode in Lux. In 2hours 6 minutes render reached 521 Samples/pixel.
    However the hair is looking a little weird (in two different colors).
    I also need some advice about how to change materials for the water. I have used glass2 blue preset and has changed IOR to 1.333,
    but the water does not look so well.

DMpromptFantasy08pic01at2h6m521_27Sp.jpg
    750 x 970 - 371K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited December 1969

Below is the same scene rendered in Daz Studio 3Delight.
    Rendering Time: 9 minutes 41.4 seconds

DMpromptFantasy06pic01.jpg
    750 x 970 - 456K
    edited December 1969

They both look pretty good,

Perhaps you should look in that thread.

CHEERS!

• DireBunnyDireBunny Posts: 556
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Very nice!

I like how it looks like a painting.

CHEERS!

Thanks. I wasn't originally going to do that but i was working on a new shader in postwork shop and decided to use that pic as the guinea pig lol.

edited April 2013

Another Daz Studio 3Delight render of Mentha Piperata hair autofitted to Victoria 5 Supermodel.
    I have used UberSurface settings on the hair with turned off ray tracing, occlusion, and cast shadows
    as described by Kyoto Kid. To light the scene I have used one of the presets from InaneGlory's Photo Studio 2
    http://www.daz3d.com/inaneglorys-photo-studio-2
    Rendering time was around 4 hours.

V5Super30pic01MenthaPiperataHair.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 315K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited December 1969

Decided to work a little more on the filter i been working on for a while (been tinkering with it off and on for i think close to two years now lol)
    One of these days i will put them to use on more than just test renders and actually get a comic done. ( yeah right)

But i think i like these results i have been getting lately.

Tank!_jpg.jpg
    1200 x 848 - 449K
    edited December 1969

Thanks. I wasn't originally going to do that but i was working on a new shader in postwork shop and decided to use that pic as the guinea pig lol.

It's nice when that pays off. Cleaning the fur is a big problem though!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Artini said:
    Another Daz Studio 3Delight render of Mentha Piperata hair autofitted to Victoria 5 Supermodel.
    I have used UberSurface settings on the hair with turned off ray tracing, occlusion, and cast shadows
    as described by Kyoto Kid. To light the scene I have used one of the presets from InaneGlory's Photo Studio 2

That looks superb,

It was peoples' ability to get renders like that with 3Delight that made me reticent about Lux. If I'm honest I only got that because it happened to be 50% off and I thought 'Why not!?'.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Decided to work a little more on the filter i been working on for a while (been tinkering with it off and on for i think close to two years now lol)
    One of these days i will put them to use on more than just test renders and actually get a comic done. ( yeah right)

But i think i like these results i have been getting lately.

Yeah, I like them too. They scream graphic novel.

CHEERS!

edited April 2013

Rogerbee said:
    Artini said:

That looks superb,

It was peoples' ability to get renders like that with 3Delight that made me reticent about Lux. If I'm honest I only got that because it happened to be 50% off and I thought 'Why not!?'.

CHEERS!
    Thanks a lot for the comments, Rogerbee. Yes, I also like rendering in 3Delight in Daz Studio. Most of the items does not need to tweak
    so much and with proper lights, one can get really good results. As a matter of Lux, one can also get extremely good renders,
    but it needs a lot of time to render, tweak materials and settings. On the other hand, with the ability to use GPU on the graphic card in Lux,
    the rendering time is significantly reduced. I also got Luxus during March maddness and I think it was a good deal.
    So, Rogerbee do not abandon Luxus at all, may be you will find some good usage for it in the future, I hope.

Post edited by Artini on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited April 2013

I'm a lover of both engines, though I admit I do use 3DL more than I use Lux. I see far too many people rendering in Lux without taking care about what materials they use, and the results look rather flat and boring. It's much like composing and rendering. If it's the same characters in the same poses with the same lighting over and over, it get's a bit uninteresting. You have to break away from the defaults so that you can breathe life into your scene.

I'm still a relative newbie when it comes to Luxrender. I've only been using Reality since November last year, and it's only when I learned the LXO file format and started manually editing them that I really got a grip on how things fit together, and how to get the most out of it. I picked up Luxus because of it's level of integration and, moreover, it's support for materials which Reality currently lacks.

My goal is to hit that photorealistic level of artwork. The kind where you have to do a double-take before you realise it's not a photograph. I did a shower render a short while back which is probably the closest I've got to that target, but it's still a long ways off being perfected. In the mean time I just have to hone my art, practice more and master Lux inside and out to squeeze every ounce of power out.

Anyway, picture time. Kim poses for a portrait for a talented young Sadie. I got inspired by the Fotosketcher thread going on the Platinum forum, so used a Fotosketcher image as Sadie's canvas. The downside is that due to the high resolution of the image, it doesn't look much like a sketch in this scene.

Kimberlys_Portrait.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 630K
    Post edited by Herald of Fire on
    edited December 1969

Very nice image, HeraldOfFire, and I like the composition of it a lot.
    It only looks like Sadie has sitted and admired her work too long,
    that part of her shoe and foot has melted into the ground...

edited December 1969

Artini said:

Thanks a lot for the comments, Rogerbee. Yes, I also like rendering in 3Delight in Daz Studio. Most of the items does not need to tweak
    so much and with proper lights, one can get really good results. As a matter of Lux, one can also get extremely good renders,
    but it needs a lot of time to render, tweak materials and settings. On the other hand, with the ability to use GPU on the graphic card in Lux,
    the rendering time is significantly reduced. I also got Luxus during March maddness and I think it was a good deal.
    So, Rogerbee do not abandon Luxus at all, may be you will find some good usage for it in the future, I hope.

I'll get round to it all in time and I'll maybe grow to like all of it. I don't feel I've fully got to grips with DS itself yet, but I certainly aim to.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

I'm a lover of both engines, though I admit I do use 3DL more than I use Lux. I see far too many people rendering in Lux without taking care about what materials they use, and the results look rather flat and boring. It's much like composing and rendering. If it's the same characters in the same poses with the same lighting over and over, it get's a bit uninteresting. You have to break away from the defaults so that you can breathe life into your scene.

I'm still a relative newbie when it comes to Luxrender. I've only been using Reality since November last year, and it's only when I learned the LXO file format and started manually editing them that I really got a grip on how things fit together, and how to get the most out of it. I picked up Luxus because of it's level of integration and, moreover, it's support for materials which Reality currently lacks.

My goal is to hit that photorealistic level of artwork. The kind where you have to do a double-take before you realise it's not a photograph. I did a shower render a short while back which is probably the closest I've got to that target, but it's still a long ways off being perfected. In the mean time I just have to hone my art, practice more and master Lux inside and out to squeeze every ounce of power out.

Anyway, picture time. Kim poses for a portrait for a talented young Sadie. I got inspired by the Fotosketcher thread going on the Platinum forum, so used a Fotosketcher image as Sadie's canvas. The downside is that due to the high resolution of the image, it doesn't look much like a sketch in this scene.

Loving the render,

I'm guilty as charged of doing much of what the first paragraph says. I'm a sucker for a good character, I get enamoured of them and like to admire them in portraits. I know I could spend that money on a scene to put them in, but, I only have money for one and not both.

Lux really makes toons pop, but, can it overcome the 'uncanny valley'!? Only time will tell....

CHEERS!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

...OK my Cute-O-Meter Mk VI™ was taxed heavily yesterday looking at the pics over on the Kimberly thread. This one pretty much slagged it.

That is really sweet. I love the painting. Did you render the portrait then merge it with a plane primitive? I've done that before to make photographs/paintings for scenes.

I really need to add "Kimi" to my growing collection of toon characters, as she so much looks like Sadie's older cousin However, have to wait until there is another sale as the finances are just not there right now.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...OK my Cute-O-Meter Mk VI™ was taxed heavily yesterday looking at the pics over on the Kimberly thread. This one pretty much slagged it.

That is really sweet. I love the painting. Did you render the portrait then merge it with a plane primitive? I've done that before to make photographs/paintings for scenes.

I really need to add "Kimi" to my growing collection of toon characters, as she so much looks like Sadie's older cousin However, have to wait until there is another sale as the finances are just not there right now.

I rendered the portrait as a high resolution image and then ran it through Fotosketcher and Photoshop to give it a sketched look. It doesn't show up much in the final image though because everything is shrunk in size.

I've grown my collection of toon characters quite a bit now, and because I'm on a bit of a Kimberly roll at the moment here's another with the older toons. Though it looks like Jasmine might need to start keeping a closer eye on Jason now that Kimberly has arrived.

Jealousy.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 886K
    edited April 2013

...I hear the dreaded *SLAP* occurring in 3.... 2....1....

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

I rendered the portrait as a high resolution image and then ran it through Fotosketcher and Photoshop to give it a sketched look. It doesn't show up much in the final image though because everything is shrunk in size.

I've grown my collection of toon characters quite a bit now, and because I'm on a bit of a Kimberly roll at the moment here's another with the older toons. Though it looks like Jasmine might need to start keeping a closer eye on Jason now that Kimberly has arrived.

Nice work, it'd make a great comic.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

I might be a half-decent artist, but I'm absolutely terrible at writing comedy :D
  • ArchWorksArchWorks Posts: 43
    edited December 1969

"Pocket Fairy"

http://fav.me/d611mag

had this idea for awhile :D

pocketfairyfinalsm.jpg
    992 x 1500 - 509K
    edited December 1969

...ooooh that's nice, you just gave me an interesting idea.

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

I might be a half-decent artist, but I'm absolutely terrible at writing comedy :D

Team up with a great writer and you'd win!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Arch_Clan said:
    "Pocket Fairy"

That is so nice, and original too!

CHEERS!

• jorge dorlandojorge dorlando Posts: 1,156
    edited December 1969

Arch_Clan said:
    "Pocket Fairy"

Hmmm!! Very creative!

edited December 1969

just a quicky of Kimberly. decided i might as well pick up Jazlyn too since she was on sale .Amy ( being my only 3D Universe genesis character) was getting lonely.

kimberly_xd_jpg.jpg
    867 x 1322 - 470K
    edited December 1969

Like it!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Thanks. (i feel kinda bad though i recycled the background from a previous render lol)

i have to say those Toon Style Hair Shaders from DestinysGarden have to be my second most used shaders i own lol. (that's what i used on Kims hair here)

edited December 1969

No worries,

I'm not normally into toon stuff, but, I can see its attraction. You don't have to worry about photo real textures for one thing. Still, toons probably aren't as easy as they can be made to look.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

No worries,

I'm not normally into toon stuff, but, I can see its attraction. You don't have to worry about photo real textures for one thing. Still, toons probably aren't as easy as they can be made to look.

CHEERS!

I play with the toon figures from time to time. i collect them but i don't use them to often. this is a bad example but it's all i got online right now lol but anyway this is how i draw. Example

and i always hated that i draw i like that and wanted something more realistic. (not photo real though i'm not into that) so i stuck with Daz, but every once in a while i get in the mood to dust off the toons i collected lol. (or in this case play with the new ones.

This discussion has been closed.