Realistic Renders... NOT!! 12 "And we're back in the room!"

Comments

• ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 291
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Yeah, I'll search for a tute and have a play when I get chance.

CHEERS!

When you find it, would you let me know? Glowing/interior-lit objects are something I'm kind of lusting after. :)

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

GRRRR!

Just checked my favourites and there was just such a tutorial in the old ArtZone Wiki. So much stuff went AWOL when they switched, I don't know where it'd be now.

• ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 291
    edited December 1969

Worked this up using the portrait lighting tutorial today. Pretty happy with it, except that the cool background image that comes with the tutorial didn't end up in the image for some reason. Now the background is transparent. Boo.

Alice_Portrait_01_04_21_2013.png
    2000 x 2000 - 5M
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,571
    edited December 1969

...a quick drop from my rebooted Merida project.

Used the old standby "Bonnie" light set up. This light set may have been around for some time, but it still looks so good, even in Daz 4.5 (was originally designed for Poser).

merida_sassy_smile.jpg
    600 x 600 - 289K
  • DzFireDzFire Posts: 1,473
    edited December 1969

Inside of the 'old warehouse' with a few cars. Rendered in DS3 with one distant light and one ambient light, plus a few point lights for the few bulbs. Ray-tracing was used for the reflections and refraction for the glass. Render time was about 15 minutes with 8 cores and 32gb mem.

MMbannerSm.jpg
    2000 x 612 - 410K
    edited December 1969

Worked this up using the portrait lighting tutorial today. Pretty happy with it, except that the cool background image that comes with the tutorial didn't end up in the image for some reason. Now the background is transparent. Boo.

Very nice render!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Used the old standby "Bonnie" light set up. This light set may have been around for some time, but it still looks so good, even in Daz 4.5 (was originally designed for Poser).

Yeah, looks good. I think I only ever used that light set in DS as far as I recall.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

DzFire™ said:
    Inside of the 'old warehouse' with a few cars. Rendered in DS3 with one distant light and one ambient light, plus a few point lights for the few bulbs. Ray-tracing was used for the reflections and refraction for the glass. Render time was about 15 minutes with 8 cores and 32gb mem.

Welcome back!

Nice to see some stuff from you again. I think I have that building somewhere, though where the zip is I really can't remember.

CHEERS!

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Only lightsources are the display panels that were converted to light emitters - glow effects enhanced post render.

I rendered in Luxrender because that way I could adjust lighting level on-the-fly, and easily save different versions of the render with the lights set at different intensities, so it's in effect, two renders merged together... the main one providing the desired level of light in the scene, and the second with the lights turned down so that the displays were not completely burned out.

The set is 'The Control Room' by ArtCollab - http://www.daz3d.com/the-control-room
    The character is Genesis using the Exo shape from the Creature Creator Bundle with RawArt's 'M4 Tin Man' applied to it - http://www.daz3d.com/m4-tin-man

A slightly higher resolution version - http://fav.me/d62ekk3

On_Autopilot.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 560K
    edited December 1969

That's fantastic!

A real movie quality render!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Yeah, I'll search for a tute and have a play when I get chance.

CHEERS!

When you find it, would you let me know? Glowing/interior-lit objects are something I'm kind of lusting after. :)Just noticed this - I don't know the tutorial, but maybe this will help a wee bit...

Surface/Area Lights - If you want to do it within DAZ Studio using UberEnvironment2, Wancow has kindly shared a lamp preset to convert surface to light emitter that you could use as a starting point if you don't want to start from scratch (tweak colours to suit etc) - http://www.sharecg.com/v/66907/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/Illuminated-Lamp-Shaders

Glow - To get the glow effect, it's much quicker to just do a wee bit of post work rather than trial-and-error with volumetrics that will rarely give the desired strength of glow anyway... mostly a case of using a new layer to paint the areas you want the glow to appear, then apply a strong blur to that new layer, and then adjust the layer opacity to make the glow look a natural part of the scene.

Alternatively, if you have access to Luxrender via either the Luxus or Reality plug-ins (so you can easily convert individual surfaces into light emitters), it has some built-in lens effects that can really help things along - the 'bloom' effect will add a glow around lightsources visible in the render. The added advantage is also that you can adjust levels on-the-fly while the scene is still rendering. Obviously, this can be further enhanced post render too.

I hope that helps ;-)

edited December 1969

Thanks for that,

Forgive me for seeming dense, but, which folder would I put those lamp shaders in? All that's in the zip are the duf files.

I do have Luxus and will look into it at some point.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Ah, forgot it was zipped like that... pretty much anywhere except inside the runtime folder should do it - maybe shader or light presets folder? So long as it's easy enough for you to find in your DAZ directory.

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Yeah, looks good. I think I only ever used that light set in DS as far as I recall.

CHEERS!
    ...thanks. Usually Poser lights tend to be "too hot" in Daz. I was very surprised how these worked without any adjustment (save for adding shadows)

edited December 1969

Jabba101 said:
    Only lightsources are the display panels that were converted to light emitters - glow effects enhanced post render.

I rendered in Luxrender because that way I could adjust lighting level on-the-fly, and easily save different versions of the render with the lights set at different intensities, so it's in effect, two renders merged together... the main one providing the desired level of light in the scene, and the second with the lights turned down so that the displays were not completely burned out.

The set is 'The Control Room' by ArtCollab - http://www.daz3d.com/the-control-room
    The character is Genesis using the Exo shape from the Creature Creator Bundle with RawArt's 'M4 Tin Man' applied to it - http://www.daz3d.com/m4-tin-man

A slightly higher resolution version - http://fav.me/d62ekk3

...that's pretty cool. Still messing around with UE for the time being, but really beginning to like working with mesh lights.
    edited December 1969

Jabba101 said:
    Ah, forgot it was zipped like that... pretty much anywhere except inside the runtime folder should do it - maybe shader or light presets folder? So long as it's easy enough for you to find in your DAZ directory.

Yeah, I'll have a think and if that doesn't work I'll ask the artist.

CHEERS!

edited April 2013

..."Hi, I'm Back"

Finally, Leela makes it to the new workstation. Set up Genesis with all the V4/Steph4 morphs I needed as well as the Tommi Head morphs via Gen-X.

Have Thorne's Genesis Body Resource Kit 1 which really helped with the more subtle details of Leela's petite figure. Need to get the Genesis Head Resource Kit 3 as it is best for creating custom teen and child faces.

Also have Hexagon up (running fine so far) so I can take the morphs into it to create a truly custom version of her.

Leela_Hi_2.jpg
    900 x 675 - 579K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Very nice, looks like you've unleashed a real powerhouse, and something tells me there's more and better to come.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

...thank you very much.

Just picked up the Genesis Head Resource Kit #3 so going to work a little more on her face and expressions.

BTW off topic for a moment, just finished listening to the Messiaen's Turangalila Symphoinie in its entirety performed by the UK NYO. Stunning performance, wish our local (professional) orchestra had the bollocks to play it.

edited December 1969

Cool,

I don't often listen to music while I work, mind you, the stuff I like to listen to isn't exactly work music anyway. I do still intend on diving back into 3D at some stage, but, I'm still waiting on 1/6 stuff I need to get all that complete.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

...I find music while working on my projects (particularly Leela and scenes relating to her story) to be very helpful.

edited December 1969

Fair enough,

I get distracted to easil...

What was I saying!?

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

...installed the Genesis Head Resource Kit . What a wonderful tool.

Here are two head shots after applying some of the new morphs. Most notably a bit of baby fat in her cheeks a slight narrowing of her lower face, slightly more prominent cheekbones, reshaping of the eyes, and a bit of smoothing to the facial details.

leela_test_profile.jpg
    900 x 900 - 214K
    leela_test.jpg
    900 x 900 - 227K
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

In a total leap away from my usual I've been playing around with toon shaders since recently picking up the Poseworks pwToon set. I think it'll take me a little time to master, but here's something I came up with in the interim. So far, the results are quite promising.

Snack_Attack.jpg
    930 x 905 - 507K
    edited December 1969

Nice work Kyoto, she looks good.

Herald, great toon render there, not something you get to see much of these days either. Nowt wrong with a bit of toon violence, bring back Tom & Jerry!

CHEERS!

• thomasbrandy287@yahoo.com[email protected] Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

DzFire™ said:

Nice pic!
    Maybe the cars are a little too dark and the floor too light.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited April 2013

I am soo exited commission projects have been selling well looking at building a 32G monster tower. I will also keep my i7 8G notebook..

Inside a sub http://bobvan.deviantart.com/art/Island-Giants-2-3-367024751?q=gallery:bobvan&qo=0

file_493829.jpg
    800 x 426 - 141K
    Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969
    edited April 2013

I was not able to have win 8 installed on my notebook due to not having a compatible vid card drivers

http://bobvan.deviantart.com/art/Coming-attraction-366713511?q=gallery:bobvan&qo=0

file_493829.jpg
    800 x 426 - 358K
    Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969
This discussion has been closed.