Carrara Challenge #36 - Pinups and Cheesecake and Hunks - Oh My! - WIP Thread --Meet Ringo Monfort!

Comments

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Thank you Diomede. Your character is very attractive brutal guy. Reminds me of Wolverine (Logan). I like your Gmic style.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,221
    Diomede said:

Stezza and Vyusur, I am just blown away.  Fantastic work

Here is a little B&W fun.  This is Michael 5 in too-cool for-monster-hunter-school mode.  Halloween bad boy.  Some GMIC adjustments.

Yes! I like this B&W much better! In fact, I love it!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited October 2017

Vyusur - Very nice!  I would like to see more grain in the b&w version (moodier). 

WGDJohn - I agree with the boys from OZ, door number 2.  Nice BG!

Diomede - love the skull, male pose, and the b&w!

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Amazing entries so far, folks!

Later today I will open the Entry Thread.  But no reason for alarm, as there are still over two weeks left in the Challenge.  The reason for opening early, is that some people have missed entering in the past due to vacations, etc.  So, if you need to enter early, now you can. 

Please keep in mind the entry requirements, which are as follows:

1.  There are three categories of pinups you can enter - NPR, PR, and Halloween - and you need to tell us the category of each entry.  A template will be provided.

2.  Enter up to three renders.  For those who do all three renders, the following constraints apply:

#1 - You can enter two renders in the same category, but a third entry must be in a different category.  "Halloween" can be either PR or NPR.

#2 - If you enter all three categories, at least one entry must use the G'MIC plugin provided to us by Philemo.  You can make the G'MIC plugin all or part of your final render.  This means, for example, that your render can be either NPR (uses G'MIC for the whole render) or PR (uses G'MIC for a lesser part of the render and is then composited into the final PR scene). 

I will repeat this information in the entry thread.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Tried adding weapons firing... spent all last evening till now trying to find a shader that looked good.  Didn't impress myself with attempts at glow.  Let me know if they look somewhat good or if you might have any ideas. TIA

SpaceShipCyclone04.png
    1440 x 960 - 1M
  • Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited October 2017

This entry is a free interpretation of a paperback book cover from an Robert Heinlein novel: Friday.

I wanted a early sixties look, so I changed the skinny (almost anorexic) character by one that looked more what was done at the time. I also changed the pose because I wanted something more "pinup". I kept the cat because... well... no Heinlein novel without a cat.

Also, Wendy convinced me to buy the Octane plugin. It's the best bargain I've done for a long time. I'll make a separate post about it

So below is the Carrara scene view and the first Octane render

FridayCar.PNG
    1541 x 865 - 2M
    Friday5.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on
    edited October 2017

I forgot the credits:

Stephanie 5

Skyrider

Background is Bus stop

Cat is millenium cat, driver is Genesis 2

cloth is Dark moods

Hair is Pure Hair space

edited October 2017

To give the picture a definite early sixties look, I used 2 effects from GMIC:

Film emulation Ilford Delta 100

Paper grain Kodack tmax 40

Final image is there

FridayGMIC1.PNG
    491 x 471 - 99K
    FridayGMIC2.PNG
    489 x 469 - 126K
    Friday5g.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1015K

Philemo, welcome to the party!  I am also a Heinlein fan.  That book cover, btw, was by Gerald Grace (I looked it up).

Nice composition!  Maybe her left leg seems a bit high, as her left foot has no support to bear weight.

Thanks for posting the G'MIC pics.  I have a question about the filters.  I see the obvious effect of the b&w filter, but the other one is not so obvious.  What kind of grain is it supposed to add?

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited October 2017

My latest space ship Cyclone with Arcadia Rising on wing.  I've somewhat improved the lazer cannon beams... what I did was to copy the ones there before... resized one on each side then modified the new ones which are not round but very flat to create a halolike effect around the original ones... the new ones use Dart's invisible settings with the addition of adding a colour in the glow channel... to make them slightly visible I changed the Alpha channel from a 0 to 26 value... see pic.  I still plan to put a char or more inside the ship... time will tell. :)

I'll probably enter it a bit later... first I have to do my PT exercises.

Philemo Very good render and choice... My first Robert A. Heinlein book was "Citizen of a Galaxy"... after that I read probably all.

Perhaps a future Challenge can be based on Books or cover art.

CarrarArtists folks... all your work is looking great!

Glow_slightlyvisibleShaderSettings.png
    1366 x 768 - 238K
    CycloneShip_scenesetup.png
    1366 x 768 - 228K
    Arcadia_Only_02.png
    1440 x 960 - 197K
    SpaceShipCyclone05bPost.png
    1440 x 960 - 1M
    Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,812
    Philemo said:

<snip>

Also, Wendy convinced me to buy the Octane plugin. It's the best bargain I've done for a long time. I'll make a separate post about it

So below is the Carrara scene view and the first Octane render

blush sorry for emptying your wallet laugh

but yes I never regretted it, I have the DAZ studio plugin too and hardly use that one but actually prefer it to iray just dislike DAZ studio as more than a content compiler.

edited October 2017

Some wheels started turning when I heard Diomede, Jonstark, and HW talking about seeeing the iconic Coppertone ad in a different context.

An interview with Joyce Ballantyne, conducted late in her life, provided further inspiration.

Joyce Pulls Off an Unexpected Encore

From the interview, I gathered that Joyce Ballantyne was a chain-smoking and martini-loving rascal; a young-at-heart lady who enjoyed the unexpected and hated things that were boring.  It seemed to work for her, as she lived to the ripe ago of 88.  In a few months with be her 100th birthday anniversary.  Happy Birthday, Joyce!

Characters in the render are the usual suspects - A3, V4, and M4.  Props and clothing are from Halloween Fun, Pumpkin Witch, Dark Trees Pack 1, The Graveyard, A3 Sagittarian, Firedancer, Micah hair, RDNA Scatters - Bats, and Witch Hunter for V4.  Carrara clouds were used for the fog, and Ron's smoke for the cigarette.  Moon, terrain, and eyeglasses came from Carrara.  Most of it is a Carrara render, with some minor PSE adjustments.

The gravestones will be obscure unless you know some pinup history.  Zoe Mozert and Pearl Frush were female contemporaries of Joyce, and the three were very successful in a male-dominated profession. Gil Elvgren was perhaps the most influencial pinup artist of all time, and was Joyce's teacher and mentor.

"The trick is to make a pinup flirtatious.  But you don't do dirty. You want the girl to look a little like your sister, or maybe your girlfriend, or just the girl next door. She's a nice girl, she's innocent, but maybe she got caught in an awkward situation that's a little sexy."

Joyce Ballantyne  1918-2006

Witches Moon smaller.png
    1300 x 1192 - 2M
    Witches Moon Carrara setup smaller.JPG
    1200 x 683 - 267K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,077

Fun image, UB.  From the interview, I get the feeling Joyce would approve.  Almost fell out of my chair with these lines.

Joyce Ballantyne Brand, 86, was the opposite of an apple butter gal. I did not bring a martini shaker with me to Ocala, but I should have.More to life than Coppertone

"Mind if I smoke?" she asked in a nicotine voice. "My whole house is my ashtray."

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i like martinis too smiley

hmmm think i haz the girl martini set

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited October 2017

I got started on my NPR image today. I plan to use the new GMIC plugin on this one. The basic scene and lighting are all set up, just need to start playing with the filters until I find some things I like.

Here's my basic scene setup:

Here's a test render of the unfiltered scene at the moment:

The retro pinup spacesuit was modeled in Blender (except the boots, which are by Slosh) and auto-fit in DAZ Studio. Raygun, tentacles, air hose and terrain made in Carrara. The character is The Girl 6, which I also used as the basis for my other entry. I got her on sale at some point and never really played with the character at all, but I'm really liking her for these types of images.

TestRender01 Setup.JPG
    1870 x 979 - 298K
    TestRender01.JPG
    960 x 1280 - 381K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    edited October 2017

A quick update, I think this one may be final. laugh

I dropped the above render in the Backdrop and rendered it out three times, using these GMIC filters: Tone Mapping(fast), Old Photograph and Ink Wash. In Photoshop I combined them by placing the Ink Wash on top, set to Soft Light, the Old Photograph in the middle, set to 85% opacity, and the Tone Mapping on the bottom.

Here are the three separate renders:

And the final combined version:

Render GMIC InkWash.jpg
    960 x 1280 - 707K
    Render GMIC OldPhotograph.jpg
    960 x 1280 - 377K
    Render GMIC ToneMappingFast.jpg
    960 x 1280 - 478K
    InSpaceNoOneCanHear.jpg
    960 x 1280 - 722K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    edited October 2017

Perfect pinup, Mark.  The compositing work is inspired - love how she is just slightly coming out of the frame.  NASA is working on high-heeled space boots right now.

Misty, I have that Girl 6 martini too.  Came with the bundle.  Wonder if I have some cigarettes.  Now I want to do a render of Joyce Ballantyne sculpting a sexy mermaid in her bathtub, while chain smoking and throwing back martinis.  Sounds like a fascinating woman.

Post edited by Diomede on
    MDO2010 said:

Outstanding, MDO!

MDO2010 said:

I dropped the above render in the Backdrop and rendered it out three times, using these GMIC filters: Tone Mapping(fast), Old Photograph and Ink Wash. In Photoshop I combined them by placing the Ink Wash on top, set to Soft Light, the Old Photograph in the middle, set to 85% opacity, and the Tone Mapping on the bottom.

Thanks a lot for those details.  Terrific combination of filters - and terrific filters thanks to Philemo.

MDO2010 said:

edited October 2017
    Diomede said:

Fun image, UB.  From the interview, I get the feeling Joyce would approve.

Thanks, Diomede.  I hope that she would approve as well.

Diomede said: Now I want to do a render of Joyce Ballantyne sculpting a sexy mermaid in her bathtub, while chain smoking and throwing back martinis.  Sounds like a fascinating woman.

Ha!  We could do a whole Challenge of take-offs on the Coppertone ad.

edited October 2017

WIP update for my witch.  The skeleton attaches reasonably well with OK joint posing, but the pose does not match the props very well right now.  The spoon is lost in the cauldron.  The fire looks awful. The right foot shoudl not be flat on the ground.  Should be on toes.

Philemina WIP.jpg
    800 x 1067 - 221K
    Post edited by Diomede on

That witch is coming along nicely even with the things you noted that you still want to work on.

You know what might help the cauldron a bit?  A while back I did an image of a witch standing over a cauldron and I used the surface replicator to place bubbles on the liquid inside and it came out pretty nicely. Just a thought. smiley

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Halloween in nearby moll taken by my smartphone in 2016

• a late start,

thats how far i got for now.

a lot of old thing get way to shiny.

it's a file bug.

demonness1.png
    1280 x 960 - 1M

Hi Shlomi, powerful image, glad you are joining in!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    Philemo said:

To give the picture a definite early sixties look, I used 2 effects from GMIC:

Film emulation Ilford Delta 100

Paper grain Kodack tmax 40

Final image is there

Philemeno, great to see you participating - thanks for the blow by blow as well

MDO2010 said:

Here are the three separate renders:

And the final combined version:

very sexy, thanks for the 'how to' - very helpful

Some wheels started turning when I heard Diomede, Jonstark, and HW talking about seeeing the iconic Coppertone ad in a different context.

An interview with Joyce Ballantyne, conducted late in her life, provided further inspiration.

Joyce Pulls Off an Unexpected Encore

From the interview, I gathered that Joyce Ballantyne was a chain-smoking and martini-loving rascal; a young-at-heart lady who enjoyed the unexpected and hated things that were boring.  It seemed to work for her, as she lived to the ripe ago of 88.  In a few months with be her 100th birthday anniversary.  Happy Birthday, Joyce!

Characters in the render are the usual suspects - A3, V4, and M4.  Props and clothing are from Halloween Fun, Pumpkin Witch, Dark Trees Pack 1, The Graveyard, A3 Sagittarian, Firedancer, Micah hair, RDNA Scatters - Bats, and Witch Hunter for V4.  Carrara clouds were used for the fog, and Ron's smoke for the cigarette.  Moon, terrain, and eyeglasses came from Carrara.  Most of it is a Carrara render, with some minor PSE adjustments.

The gravestones will be obscure unless you know some pinup history.  Zoe Mozert and Pearl Frush were female contemporaries of Joyce, and the three were very successful in a male-dominated profession. Gil Elvgren was perhaps the most influencial pinup artist of all time, and was Joyce's teacher and mentor.

"The trick is to make a pinup flirtatious.  But you don't do dirty. You want the girl to look a little like your sister, or maybe your girlfriend, or just the girl next door. She's a nice girl, she's innocent, but maybe she got caught in an awkward situation that's a little sexy."

Joyce Ballantyne  1918-2006

wow, where is the coppertone? beautiful work

Diomede said:

WIP update for my witch.  The skeleton attaches reasonably well with OK joint posing, but the pose does not match the props very well right now.  The spoon is lost in the cauldron.  The fire looks awful. The right foot shoudl not be flat on the ground.  Should be on toes.

love that self critique - you dont need us :)

a late start,

thats how far i got for now.

a lot of old thing get way to shiny.

it's a file bug.

great pose on the big fellow!

wgdjohn said:

My latest space ship Cyclone with Arcadia Rising on wing.  I've somewhat improved the lazer cannon beams... what I did was to copy the ones there before... resized one on each side then modified the new ones which are not round but very flat to create a halolike effect around the original ones... the new ones use Dart's invisible settings with the addition of adding a colour in the glow channel... to make them slightly visible I changed the Alpha channel from a 0 to 26 value... see pic.  I still plan to put a char or more inside the ship... time will tell. :)

I'll probably enter it a bit later... first I have to do my PT exercises.

Philemo Very good render and choice... My first Robert A. Heinlein book was "Citizen of a Galaxy"... after that I read probably all.

Perhaps a future Challenge can be based on Books or cover art.

CarrarArtists folks... all your work is looking great!

this has come along way!!!

have you tried the aura or halo (called something like  that ?) settings in Scene>Filter - they'll work if you  have a glow parameter

you can also render them as different passes so you can bump them up in post