Carrara Challenge #36 - Pinups and Cheesecake and Hunks - Oh My! - WIP Thread --Meet Ringo Monfort!

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099
    edited October 2017

Bunyip, very cool pencil filter of the Dino!  Thanks for posting that screenshot.

Agreed!

Jonstark - terrific looking skin! 

Hope that you and/or Magaremoto consider makinge a video tutorial!

+1! yes (or even a nicely written tutorial)

Dart and HW - still eager to see what you come up with!

Kinda stuck away from Carrara again (for stuff not related to my animation project) for now, but I'll try.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited October 2017

A little NPR G'MIC advertising pinup, courtesy of the Lylejk filter, named for artist Lyle J Kroll.

This one's for Philemo!

This render pretty much came out of nowhere.  I was working on another SCWarrior cover, when I thought about trying some different G'MIC filters on it.  I toyed with a few, then opened one up from the Artistic tab, called Lylejk's painting.  At default it was pretty vague - seemed a bit Van Gogh-ish - but with a few tweaks it suddenly got my attention.

I particularly like three things about the filter, beyond the Van Gogh swirl effect.  First, it pushes the contrast.  I was doing that before in PSE by calling up different layers, but with this filter I can now do it in Carrara.  Second, I'm always looking for a way to give NPR characters a black outline.  This filter does that, and also gives luminous outlines.  Check out the plants in the lower right.  There is NO LIGHT on them, but the filter assigned them a luminous outline.  Pretty cool!

Last, there is a canvas texture slider right in the same filter.  In this render it was at 35%, but if you really want to crank it, it can be very strong.

There is a nice little review of a few of the filters here from a Gimp perspective.

Attached are the WIP render, the Carrara original, and the Carrara scene setup.  It was done mostly in Carrara.  Nothing was rocket science.  PSE was used to turn the G'MIC logo into a PNG, to crop a NASA nebula photo into a portrait-sized backdrop texture, and to also do some minor touch-ups with burn, dodge, smudge, and liquify (love those tools).

The character is not V4.2, but instead V4.1, using Morphia morphs.  The outfit is part of Earth Warden, and the critter is a Pteranodon.

GMIC Promo.png
    1200 x 1733 - 3M
    GMIC promo before filter - small.png
    801 x 1157 - 1M
    GMIC pinup setup in Carrara_small.JPG
    1269 x 690 - 249K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Vote #1 - "Make Your Renders Pop", by Unified Brain - WIP located HERE

Very nice, my friend!

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    Jonstark said:

Wow UB that's terrific!

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    Jonstark said:

Last little bit..

Would those settings do me any good since I don't have Octane?... they are for Octane aren't they?  I'll be linking to this thread and your settings to my Shader Creating thread.

edited October 2017

Ha, well that's great, but hopefully they will finish their renders first!

Kinda stuck away from Carrara again (for stuff not related to my animation project) for now, but I'll try.

OK, please do.  Until then, here is something you did in the past, which got our juices flowing.  One of my faves!

scistreetsrt6bug_full_Dart.jpg
    1300 x 1640 - 2M

Jon and Dart, thanks for the good words!

I went back and added some details to the post.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,750
    edited October 2017

Awesome works..... makes it hard to come up with something different that's worthwhile!

ok... I will try by using this freebie and retexturing it to some other type of van..

I've also modeled this guy to put in the picture!

then we'll throw it all in the mixer and see what comes out!

sperm boy.jpg
    600 x 450 - 97K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited November 2017

The Big Bang Van

bigbangvanWiP1.jpg
    800 x 542 - 422K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    wgdjohn said:
    Jonstark said:

Last little bit..

Would those settings do me any good since I don't have Octane?... they are for Octane aren't they?  I'll be linking to this thread and your settings to my Shader Creating thread.

Sure, the Octane 'encloses' the regular Carrara shader and doesn't matter at all (I didn't even include any of the Octane settings in any my screenshots).  I put it all together in one shader because I'm lazy and if I develope a shader for a character I might use over and over again I'd rather have it set up so that I can switch back and forth between Octane and Carrara native rendering without having to change anything.

The way that the Octane shaders work (which is very clever and I give kudos to sighman for creating this system) is that it 'encloses' a regular normal Carrara shader, and has Octane settings down below in the Octane material section.  If you have Octane materials set up there, then whenever you render in Octane, Octane will completely ignore the Carrara native shader stuff and render based on whatever settings you have in the Octane materials section.  But the rest of the time the Carrara native render engine ignores the Octane material section and only reads and renders the portion in the top section, which is the regular Carrara native shader section.

Just ignore the fact it's inside of an Octane shader and make the top level the layer list, and it will work exactly the same for you.

Stezza said:

The Big Bang Van

That is freakin super cool, love the fire effect and it works great (along with the ghost with barbells) transposed onto the side of the van.  Where did you find that fire/exploding quasar effect?  It looks terrific and really makes the render pop.

Jonstark said:
    Stezza said:

The Big Bang Van

That is freakin super cool, love the fire effect and it works great (along with the ghost with barbells) transposed onto the side of the van.  Where did you find that fire/exploding quasar effect?  It looks terrific and really makes the render pop.

Agreed... Totally Kick Arse Renda!!!

lol.... that ain't no ghost! surprise

visit Ron's store for great stuff.. also used Darts starry night but you can't get that no more from the store frown

thanks jonstark & dart yes

Very um...interesting, Stezzasmiley.  Your normal ridiculous skill, of course.  And the bar-bell dude may be the most unique model in the history of Carrara!

Jon, I suspect that there are some layers to this one that had best not be explored...devil

edited October 2017

I forgot to post the render before postwork render.... if that makes sense!

thanks UB... it was the bow tie that did it wasn't it?

Big Bang Van Render.jpg
    900 x 675 - 438K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,919

A little NPR G'MIC advertising pinup, courtesy of the Lylejk filter, named for artist Lyle J Kroll.

This one's for Philemo!

This render pretty much came out of nowhere.  I was working on another SCWarrior cover, when I thought about trying some different G'MIC filters on it.  I toyed with a few, then opened one up from the Artistic tab, called Lylejk's painting.  At default it was pretty vague - seemed a bit Van Gogh-ish - but with a few tweaks it suddenly got my attention.

I particularly like three things about the filter, beyond the Van Gogh swirl effect.  First, it pushes the contrast.  I was doing that before in PSE by calling up different layers, but with this filter I can now do it in Carrara.  Second, I'm always looking for a way to give NPR characters a black outline.  This filter does that, and also gives luminous outlines.  Check out the plants in the lower right.  There is NO LIGHT on them, but the filter assigned them a luminous outline.  Pretty cool!

Last, there is a canvas texture slider right in the same filter.  In this render it was at 35%, but if you really want to crank it, it can be very strong.

There is a nice little review of a few of the filters here from a Gimp perspective.

Attached are the WIP render, the Carrara original, and the Carrara scene setup.  It was done mostly in Carrara.  Nothing was rocket science.  PSE was used to turn the G'MIC logo into a PNG, to crop a NASA nebula photo into a portrait-sized backdrop texture, and to also do some minor touch-ups with burn, dodge, smudge, and liquify (love those tools).

The character is not V4.2, but instead V4.1, using Morphia morphs.  The outfit is part of Earth Warden, and the critter is a Pteranodon.

wowoza that's a ripper Rita! er UB I mean, I just had a chance to go through your first psost - thanks for going to all that trouble!!!!

Jonstark said:
    Stezza said:

The Big Bang Van

plus 8, lovely stuff Stezza, arent we due for a star show tonight, somwhere off the shoulder of Orion :)

Ha, well that's great, but hopefully they will finish their renders first!

OK, please do.  Until then, here is something you did in the past, which got our juices flowing.  One of my faves!

looking forward to see ing what you come up with Dart!

edited October 2017

here's a go from me

'Alien BeefCake'

a few different post work in Filter Forge and Topaz Impression, plus Philemeno's plug in :)

glowing eyes coutrsey of PhilW's eye thingy :)

the cross thing and rope around his neck was VWD eed - only way I could get the rope to sit properly (easiest way) but the cross melted :)

lee1fulllength.jpg
    1649 x 2382 - 2M
    Post edited by Headwax on

head wax said:
    Jonstark said:
    Stezza said:

The Big Bang Van

plus 8, lovely stuff Stezza, arent we due for a star show tonight, somwhere off the shoulder of Orion :)

yep, but it's overcast so we won't see anything!

The Orionid meteor shower that peppers Earth's atmosphere with fragments of Halley's Comet is happening again. It's not as fantastic or meteor-rich this year as it has been before, but that doesn't mean you can't stick your head out the window come Saturday evening and see the night sky lit up with flashes.

Melting crosses!...... is it a sign?

and bow ties must be in season yes

strippers always wear bow ties - and so do ladies' doctors

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Thank you UnifiedBrain! Your Tropical girl is bright and of great visual impact.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Stezza said:

Awesome works..... makes it hard to come up with something different that's worthwhile!

ok... I will try by using this freebie and retexturing it to some other type of van..

I've also modeled this guy to put in the picture!

then we'll throw it all in the mixer and see what comes out!

scooby snacks!!

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited October 2017

So I have fixed the worst of the UV issues that I was seeing and have taken on board suggestions about moving the pinup and other texture images. I think this is getting close to completion, I just want to dirty up some parts to make them a bit less pristine.

Flying Fortress3 Fixed.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 299K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    Stezza said:

head wax said:
    Jonstark said:
    Stezza said:

The Big Bang Van

yep, but it's overcast so we won't see anything!

The Orionid meteor shower that peppers Earth's atmosphere with fragments of Halley's Comet is happening again. It's not as fantastic or meteor-rich this year as it has been before, but that doesn't mean you can't stick your head out the window come Saturday evening and see the night sky lit up with flashes.

I'll be out with my astronomy club tomorrow night - if I have any life left in me. I have a drumming gig until 9pm, so I won't be able to get there until 10... which sadly means that my precious Criterion RV6 (on TAL 180 Russian Mount) will have to stay home :(

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,481
    edited October 2017

Halloween

Bad Vicky 1 Topaz 1600.png
    1600 x 900 - 4M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited October 2017
    head wax said:

wowoza that's a ripper Rita! er UB I mean, I just had a chance to go through your first psost - thanks for going to all that trouble!!!!

Thanks HW!  I hope that members here explain their filter choices.  I think that each G'MIC filter will have a story to tell, with some more useful than others of course.

Vyusur said:

Thank you UnifiedBrain! Your Tropical girl is bright and of great visual impact.

Thank you, Vyusur!  My thinking is that I can overcome a lack of skill with loud and garish colors.smiley

Stezza said:

Still haven't posted it?

Stezza said:

That was it!!!  How did you guess?smiley

BTW - I hear that 'otica is looking for some PA's. devil

Stezza said:

head wax said:

here's a go from me

'Alien BeefCake'

a few different post work in Filter Forge and Topaz Impression, plus Philemeno's plug in :)

glowing eyes coutrsey of PhilW's eye thingy :)

the cross thing and rope around his neck was VWD eed - only way I could get the rope to sit properly (easiest way) but the cross melted :)

Hunk alert!  Very cool render, HW.  Great shadows, setting, and mood.  However, I'm not seeing him as an alien.  OK, maybe the eyes.

PhilW said:

So I have fixed the worst of the UV issues that I was seeing and have taken on board suggestions about moving the pinup and other texture images. I think this is getting close to completion, I just want to dirty up some parts to make them a bit less pristine.

Flat-out wonderful Phil!  Really like the additions, and can't wait to see the grungier version.

Bunyip02 said:

Halloween

Another fantastic setting and use of filters, Bunyip!

BTW - nobody has asked, but there is no limit to the number of WIP's that artists can put in this thread.  However, an artist can only enter three.