Carrara Challenge #36 - Pinups and Cheesecake and Hunks - Oh My! - WIP Thread --Meet Ringo Monfort!

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    Stezza said:
    Stezza said:
    been thinking some more

Hurricane Jane

Just wow.  It looks hand drawn.  What software are you using here?

Just using Carrara.. and the postwork in PSE2018 demo version... contemplating wether to update to it or not so giving it a test fly.

awesome renders coming in... great stuff yes

I've been busy with the new Grandson this week so haven't been able to get anything concrete together as of yet.. still in thinking mode but will post tidbits till I come up with something worthwhile.

sorry Stezza, didnt see this looks terrific ! Waiting for your rundown on pse 18!

Stezza said:

congrats too on Grandson!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225
    edited October 2017
    Diomede said:

Shadow catcher issue.

Maybe this has happened before, but I don't remember.  I replaced the set (floor and walls) with a shadow catcher.  The volumetric dynamic hair is giving a strange shadow effect on the floor.  Can fix in post but curious if others have had this issue.

Kind of. I added some volumetric light coming from behind my dynamic hair, which made it suddenly appear rather transparent and left the non-visible hair cap as a black (black) shadow on her head.

Very cool scene, btw. Love the concept! Fantastic modeling as well!!!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

HeadWax - Nice use of the new plugin! I've experimented with it a little but ran out of time before settling on anything I liked. Love the drawing you've made with it.

Stezza - I love those inspirational renders! Also, I have a new grandson coming on my birthday in 2018! Well... that's the prediction anyway! ;)

head wax said:

congrats too on Grandson!

yes

edited October 2017

I accidentally stayed up way too late solving issues with this one, so needless to say, I still have a long way to go, but I can't stare at it any longer! LOL

Finally figured out how I turned my dynamic hair into see-through watercolor!  Anyway... Dark Apocalypse Shrieker makes for a great Vampirella nemesis. It's been forever since I've seen a Vampirella cover, so I'm still just winging it, but I'll dig deeper soon. But I seem to remember monsters attacking her on some of them. 

I modeled the collar piece and the gold ring that holds the dress to the collar in the vertex modeler - really basic stuff, but it works. I also modeled the vamp teeth onto her existing teeth - I don't have vamp teeth for G2F. Still have some work to do on that collar, I see. It looked better on the t-pose! LOL

Not sure if others are aware, but when I am doing dynamic hair, I like to get into the habit of turning of collision with hair on every single thing, including cameras and lights, that doesn't need to collide with the hair. A long time ago I realized that I was getting wonking results because the skydome had Collide with Hairs enabled! So know I recognize that "sit-n-spin" behavior during a simple drape - cancel it and go through the Effects tab of every single thing in the scene - no matter how far away it is. The thing is, we can always just do the hair simulations without anything in the scene, and then add stuff after the simulation is complete - or even in an entirely separate render. But in situations like this - just putting together a still scene, sometimes it's nice to have things all together - so I turn off Collide with Hairs.

Mod edit:- Image removed because it needed more fabric.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited October 2017

So it's my first attempt of pinup rendition. Sci-Fi pinup. Carrara's NPR, no post work.

Aikosun_pinup14.jpg
    820 x 1300 - 810K
    Aikosun_pinup15.jpg
    820 x 1300 - 771K
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    Jonstark said:
    PhilW said:

I've had an idea for an entry and spent the last hour producing a start on it - it is planned that this will end up as a render within a render!  G2F with Captain Cupcake outfit (seemed to fit the brief totally!), character is half Girl 6 and half Callie 6, although that may change. Harlow Hair. The render is a very quick and dirty Octane render, ignore the background, it probably won't be in the final version.

Scene Screenshot - WIP

Test render in Octane

Looking terrific (as should be expected from anyone named PhilW smiley)  Curious where this will go, could easily see this as being turned into a painting on the side of a plane, for example, like memphis belle (especially with the new GIMAC plugin from Philemo!  what a great time to be a Carrara user with all these neat plugins coming out  smiley ).   Curious whether you plan for the main render to be done in Octane too, or Carrara native with this 'picture in picture' being incorporated instead, will be fun to see where you go with this.

You rumbled my plan!

Magaremoto, perfect elbows! Is this G3 Female?

Phil, cool Girl? Will she sit on anything?

Vyusur said:

So it's my first attempt of pinup rendition. Sci-Fi pinup. Carrara's NPR, no post work.

Fantastic NPR! I need to gather my patience to get it figured out. I love ArtemisX uniform! Very nice work.

I got side-tracked last time I was messing with NPR over-thinking the YAToon 2 plugin. It seems slick, and his instructions seem sound. I'm just not wrapping my head around using these parts of the software.

edited October 2017

I accidentally stayed up way too late solving issues with this one, so needless to say, I still have a long way to go, but I can't stare at it any longer! LOL

Finally figured out how I turned my dynamic hair into see-through watercolor!  Anyway... Dark Apocalypse Shrieker makes for a great Vampirella nemesis. It's been forever since I've seen a Vampirella cover, so I'm still just winging it, but I'll dig deeper soon. But I seem to remember monsters attacking her on some of them. 

I modeled the collar piece and the gold ring that holds the dress to the collar in the vertex modeler - really basic stuff, but it works. I also modeled the vamp teeth onto her existing teeth - I don't have vamp teeth for G2F. Still have some work to do on that collar, I see. It looked better on the t-pose! LOL

Not sure if others are aware, but when I am doing dynamic hair, I like to get into the habit of turning of collision with hair on every single thing, including cameras and lights, that doesn't need to collide with the hair. A long time ago I realized that I was getting wonking results because the skydome had Collide with Hairs enabled! So know I recognize that "sit-n-spin" behavior during a simple drape - cancel it and go through the Effects tab of every single thing in the scene - no matter how far away it is. The thing is, we can always just do the hair simulations without anything in the scene, and then add stuff after the simulation is complete - or even in an entirely separate render. But in situations like this - just putting together a still scene, sometimes it's nice to have things all together - so I turn off Collide with Hairs.

Hubba Hubba Dart

edited October 2017
    PhilW said:
    Jonstark said:
    PhilW said:

I've had an idea for an entry and spent the last hour producing a start on it - it is planned that this will end up as a render within a render!  G2F with Captain Cupcake outfit (seemed to fit the brief totally!), character is half Girl 6 and half Callie 6, although that may change. Harlow Hair. The render is a very quick and dirty Octane render, ignore the background, it probably won't be in the final version.

Test render in Octane

Looking terrific (as should be expected from anyone named PhilW smiley)  Curious where this will go, could easily see this as being turned into a painting on the side of a plane, for example, like memphis belle (especially with the new GIMAC plugin from Philemo!  what a great time to be a Carrara user with all these neat plugins coming out  smiley ).   Curious whether you plan for the main render to be done in Octane too, or Carrara native with this 'picture in picture' being incorporated instead, will be fun to see where you go with this.

You rumbled my plan!

PhilW, that's a perfect render

Post edited by Headwax on
    Vyusur said:

really like the skin on this one Veronica

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226

thank you all, I mainly focused on lighting at first to simulate soft light bounces into a room, the background is only an image; the model is Maria by digital touch that comes with a bunch of beautiful maps, applied on G3F (correct, Vyusur); in the following wip I have increased the global illumination and acted on maps to enhance shininess via the curve filter, without pushing too much on the bump channel and give a likely result at a distance; actually I'm not satisfied with transparency,(maybe arms should be more "permeable" to light), and eyes bulbs, working on that smiley normalization in post

@ Jonstark: as for the skin you are completely right, waiting for your tests; very often I use to scale down the scene by 10 because translucency and transparency work betterwink

very nice contributions here showing carrara enormous potential laughyes

2.jpg
    3600 x 2800 - 796K

@magaremoto The skin there is looking terrific!

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,702
    Vyusur said:

Looking good !!!!

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,702
    edited October 2017

Decided to redo my Orc.

Pinup Orc 2 Carrara.png
    2274 x 1042 - 546K
    Pinup Orc 2 Topaz 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 4M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,082
    edited October 2017

Stezza - Congratulations on the grandkid!  Cool render, too,

Dart - same comment

Vyusur - great NPR, especilly the nose, which does not usually do well in NPR.  Can I ask you what settings you had for brush size in the NPR room?  And line length and thickness?

Bunyip - looks like she is auditioning for the next Warcraft movie!

Post edited by Diomede on

Dart, Andrew, Bunyip, Diomede, thank you a lot for the comments!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

HW - Ha Ha!  Hope that Phantom gets there before the dog pulls his pants down.

Diomede - Brilliant idea for turning the Phantom into the Coppertone guy.yes

Stezza - I knew that someone would post a George render.  Why am I not surprised that it was you?wink

Dart - please repost (with acceptable modesty).  I missed it, darn it!

Vyusur - another impressive NPR engine render!  You are really getting the hang of it.

Bunyip - now, that is my kind of orc!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,082
    edited October 2017

Just want to re-emphasize how the nose in Vyusur's WIP is worth focusing on in terms of the NPR menu settings..  Here is a comparison of a G3M character in a kilt with a variation on the Maryln Monroe pose over the subway grate.  The only difference between the two renders is the brush size.  See the noses?  BTW - the black smudge around the head is the dynamic hair

kilt big bush size.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 121K
    kilt small bush size.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 139K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited October 2017
    Diomede said:

Thank you for suggestions, Jonstark, UB, and Bunyip.  Was able to quickly address a few comments.  Others will require more.  Unfortunately, I forgot to render a shadow pass.  Argh.  The weak shadows around the table legs are now spikes sticking in my eye.  However, I was able to move the text and make a few other adjustments as per y'all's suggestions.

This is so close to perfection (whatever that means to me) that I can't help myself from offering more suggestions.  Please take them or leave them.  Warning - geeky detail alert!

When I first see the image, I want my attention drawn to the bullet, as it is so important to the message.  For me, the bullet is very unclear.  Maybe it could be a bit bigger?  Or, change the camera perspective a bit to make it look bigger?  Maybe the glint could be bigger as well?  Not sure about any of that.

Also, since bullets have two parts - the tip and the casing - it might help to see those different parts easier.  I do like the glint, but you put it right on the transition between case and tip, so the bullet now looks like a single object rather than a 2-piece object.

The gun is kind of flat and unimpressive looking.  I would prefer something like a snub nose 38.  It's compact, so it can be made a bit bigger than life, and still fit on the table.

from Greg Hildebrandt

Also, instead of "that is" in the caption, contract to "that's".

Told you it would be geeky.smiley

gungirl.jpg
    566 x 401 - 41K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Dart - please repost (with acceptable modesty).  I missed it, darn it!

Perhaps with the NPR effects it will be able to stay? She's fully covered... legally ;)

VampirellaWIP2amcF.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 1M
    edited October 2017

This time I'm using the exact setup, but adding Philemo's awesome G'MIC for Carrara plugin to NPR stylize the image during the post-render process in Carrara. Quite the powerful tool that is, and his advice on using it is incredibly helpful. I certainly cannot thank him enough for bringing this to our Carrara!

Anyways, here she is. Not done yet, but I think it's getting close.

Argh... I'm still seeing issues to fix! LOL

Why is it that I tend to miss certain things until after I post it publicly? After all... that's what WIPs are for, right?

I think it's obvious that I have more plans for this. Text and such....

Argh... I'm still seeing issues to fix! LOL

Why is it that I tend to miss certain things until after I post it publicly? After all... that's what WIPs are for, right?

I think it's obvious that I have more plans for this. Text and such....

Ha!  Vampirella looks great, but I was trying to figure out what part of the critter was what. 

I would say "be fearless," but I am probably more timid than you regarding posting incomplete images.

Look forward to seeing where you go with this!

Good call. When we see and know these things in 3d, we see them differently than those just looking upon the image. In truth, I was just trying to get her to be mod-acceptable LOL without fully capturing the entire thing.

It's a snake/worm-like thing with chunky armor scale sections going from its head down to wrapping her up - just so you know ;)

edited October 2017

So having done the pinup logo, I have now found a free model of a Flying Fortress B-17E (ideally I wanted the F model, but couldn't find a free one!). Started to retexture it, more or less got the camera where I want it and found a nice sky HDRI. So it's coming along. Need to complete texturing and add the pinup. Still rendering in Octane by the way.

Flying Fortress1.jpg
    924 x 520 - 71K
    Post edited by PhilW on

Diomede, thank you once again. Despite the NOSE the figure looks very familiar to me, especially the legs.