Realistic Renders... NOT!! 12 "And we're back in the room!"

Comments

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

..thank you. Doing my best to keep this thread afloat.

As would I if my 1/6 projects weren't taking up my time. Sadly there's nothing on them that takes 8 minutes!

Once they're all done I'll return to active rendering duty.

CHEERS!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited December 1969

...well as I mentioned above planning to end up with a fairly long render time tonight as the Mentha hair is loaded with transmaps.

edited December 1969

Artini said:

I use home built pc with i7-3770K cpu (4 cores, 8 threads at 4.15 GHz), 32 GB of ram and Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.
    I do not know how to turn on IDL in Daz Studio.
    I have just made the render of my scene in Daz Studio Pro 4.5, but have used Carribean Queen hair instead.
    I have also used Ring of Light - Environment Lighting for that scene.
    http://www.daz3d.com/ring-of-light-environment-lighting
    Without any material changes on the hair, rendering time was only 8 minutes 46.36 seconds.
    I will continue my quest for the hair, that renders quickly in Daz Studio.

There's always Garibaldi so you can make your own. It may take some mastering, but, as far as I know it doesn't slow renders down.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

...been playing around with it. Pretty intuitive right out of the box, and the tutorials on the site are very helpful. It won't look like much in OpenGL mode but it renders very nicely.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,836
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...in the lights setting if you select a single uberlight it should give you a number of choices under lighting type one of which is "Indirect with directional shadows" Accidentally selected this the other night and it felt like I slammed on 3Delight's brakes.

Not at home right now so can't fire up the workstation to verify this.

Haven't' tried very heavily transmapped hair yet. Going to give it a run with Mentha Piperata for A3 tonight. Never could get that hair to render on my 32 bit system even with DSMs.

BTW is your RAM configuration Dual or Quad Channel? That also makes a bit of a difference.

The RAM configuration on my computer is Dual Channel.
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Artini said:

I use home built pc with i7-3770K cpu (4 cores, 8 threads at 4.15 GHz), 32 GB of ram and Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.
    I do not know how to turn on IDL in Daz Studio.
    I have just made the render of my scene in Daz Studio Pro 4.5, but have used Carribean Queen hair instead.
    I have also used Ring of Light - Environment Lighting for that scene.
    Without any material changes on the hair, rendering time was only 8 minutes 46.36 seconds.
    I will continue my quest for the hair, that renders quickly in Daz Studio.

There's always Garibaldi so you can make your own. It may take some mastering, but, as far as I know it doesn't slow renders down.

CHEERS!
    Yes, I also count on Garibaldi, but need more time to practice, to get good results with it.

edited December 1969

Anyway another render from me with Pure Hair: Catwalk for Genesis
    http://www.daz3d.com/pure-hair-catwalk
    It also render pretty fast and looks great.
    Rendering Time: 11 minutes 27.7 seconds.
    I have also used Ring of Light - Environment Lighting for that scene
    together with 17 Chic clothes on Victoria 5 Supermodel
    http://www.daz3d.com/17chic
    and 17 Chic Textures
    http://www.daz3d.com/17-chic-textures

V5Super09PHCatwalkHairPic01rol.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 400K
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...been playing around with it. Pretty intuitive right out of the box, and the tutorials on the site are very helpful. It won't look like much in OpenGL mode but it renders very nicely.

Yeah, I downloaded all the betas, but never got round to any testing, so I bought the final one instead. It does look impressive and if it's good enough for Pixar it's good enough for me.

CHEERS!

edited April 2013

Artini said:

Yes, I also count on Garibaldi, but need more time to practice, to get good results with it.

You and me both! :D

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
    edited December 1969

Artini said:
    Anyway another render from me with Pure Hair: Catwalk for Genesis
    http://www.daz3d.com/pure-hair-catwalk
    It also render pretty fast and looks great.
    Rendering Time: 11 minutes 27.7 seconds.
    I have also used Ring of Light - Environment Lighting for that scene
    together with 17 Chic clothes on Victoria 5 Supermodel
    http://www.daz3d.com/17chic
    and 17 Chic Textures
    http://www.daz3d.com/17-chic-textures

I like that!

It's cosmic!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Thanks a lot, Rogerbee. This new hair, made specially for Genesis, renders really fast even with area lights..

edited April 2013

Rogerbee said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Yeah, I downloaded all the betas, but never got round to any testing, so I bought the final one instead. It does look impressive and if it's good enough for Pixar it's good enough for me.

CHEERS!
    ...my first major project will be creating Merida's wild mane of hair as I have a number of preproduction stills from the process showing different perspectives. Then onto designing the perfect thick and long ponytail for my namesake that looks like fine soft hair.

Instead of Maxwell, I may just save up for the unlimited Renderman 3Delight standalone so I can render in background. Yes it is biased, but like you said, if it's good enough for Pixar, I'm fine with it.

@Artini, Personally, I like this last one the best.

As to memory channel configuration quad channel mode effectively doubles the size of the pipeline between the CPU and RAM. Think of it as going from a two way city street to a superhighway. My system's memory is configured in Tri Channel mode and I definitely notice a difference in performance.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

@Artini, Personally, I like this last one the best.

As to memory channel configuration quad channel mode effectively doubles the size of the pipeline between the CPU and RAM. Think of it as going from a two way city street to a superhighway. My system's memory is configured in Tri Channel mode and I definitely notice a difference in performance.

Thanks a lot, Kyoto Kid. Yes, I know about different channel modes for system's memory, but when I have built my home pc computer,
    I have to make some decisions. Either wait for another year to get a new Intel processor, or take what it was available last December
    on the market. I have made some comparisons between the quad channel memory based system and the dual memory channel
    based system, and the difference in rendering times was not so significant, at least for the processor, I could afford.
    Last year in December, I took advantage of sale prices for the processor, motherboard and the graphic card (Nvidia GTX 670).
    The prices for motherboard that support quad memory channel of ram was almost 40% more expensive, than what I have paid
    for my dual channel Asus Z77-V Pro motherboard.
    edited December 1969

...ahh that's true. Only the newest CPUs and MBs can handle quad channel configuration. (I think the ASUS one is something like 350$) Hopefully you can upgrade soon.

I eventually am considering maxing my system out at 24G (highest it will go) which will actually cost less than the 12G I have in it now. Then I'll transfer the 12G to a render box.

...grrrr, that blank form issue is still occurring when I try to submit a post. Hear it has something to do with with cloud service Daz uses.

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

Artini said:
    I like Daz Studio very much, mostly for the great DOF effects and possibility to use Genesis effectively.
    However I am a bit dissapointed about how much time it takes to render some hair.
    Below is the screen dump of rendering SAV Dragon Lady hair with Ring of Light used in the scene.
    I have cancelled it after over 23 hours of rendering because it was at the 57% of completing and I do not want to wait any longer.
    I have switched off raytracing on the hair, but it does not helped so much in that case.

What quality setting were you using on the Ring of Light?

When I first got it I tried a render with a much simpler hair using the 5x quality preset. It took several hours. InaneGlory responded indicating that all the promotional images were done with 3x quality, and that is really all that is needed in most cases. I did a render of the same scene with 3x quality and it only took 22 minutes. I could not see any difference between the 3x and 5x quality renders.

I don't have the SAV Dragon Lady hair (yet), but the product description warns about long render times with some kinds of lighting.

edited December 1969

Artini said:
    Thanks a lot, Rogerbee. This new hair, made specially for Genesis, renders really fast even with area lights..

That's good, have you tried Dragon Lady hair with Lantios Lights? That might give me some idea what I may be facing.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

...my first major project will be creating Merida's wild mane of hair as I have a number of preproduction stills from the process showing different perspectives. Then onto designing the perfect thick and long ponytail for my namesake that looks like fine soft hair.

Instead of Maxwell, I may just save up for the unlimited Renderman 3Delight standalone so I can render in background. Yes it is biased, but like you said, if it's good enough for Pixar, I'm fine with it.

Sounds interesting,

When I mentioned Pixar, I was actually referring to the hair shader used in Garibaldi. Some pro companies do use 3Delight though.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

mark said:
    Artini said:
    I like Daz Studio very much, mostly for the great DOF effects and possibility to use Genesis effectively.
    However I am a bit dissapointed about how much time it takes to render some hair.
    Below is the screen dump of rendering SAV Dragon Lady hair with Ring of Light used in the scene.
    I have cancelled it after over 23 hours of rendering because it was at the 57% of completing and I do not want to wait any longer.
    I have switched off raytracing on the hair, but it does not helped so much in that case.

What quality setting were you using on the Ring of Light?

When I first got it I tried a render with a much simpler hair using the 5x quality preset. It took several hours. InaneGlory responded indicating that all the promotional images were done with 3x quality, and that is really all that is needed in most cases. I did a render of the same scene with 3x quality and it only took 22 minutes. I could not see any difference between the 3x and 5x quality renders.

I don't have the SAV Dragon Lady hair (yet), but the product description warns about long render times with some kinds of lighting.

So far I use only the default settings for the Ring of Light (3x quality), because I also think it gives pretty decent renders.

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Artini said:

That's good, have you tried Dragon Lady hair with Lantios Lights? That might give me some idea what I may be facing.

CHEERS!
    I will try to render Dragon Lady hair with Lantios Lights, but I am afraid the render time will also be very long.

edited December 1969

In the mean time I have made another bunch of tests with different hair.
    All of the scenes were lighted with Ring of Light - Environment Lighting
    with the default settings for the Ring of Light (3x quality).
    First render was made with Pure Hair: Bubblegum for Genesis
    http://www.daz3d.com/pure-hair-bubblegum
    Rendering Time: 8 minutes 2.17 seconds

V5Super19PHBubblegumHairPic01rol.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 392K
    edited December 1969

Second render was made with Pure Hair: Sweet
    http://www.daz3d.com/pure-hair-sweet
    Rendering Time: 8 minutes 37.87 seconds

V5Super20PHSweetHairPic01rol.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 397K
    edited December 1969

Third render was made with Pure Hair: Timeless
    http://www.daz3d.com/pure-hair-timeless
    Rendering Time: 10 minutes 0.45 seconds

V5Super21PHTimelessHairPic01rol.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 395K
    edited December 1969

Fourth render was made with Sally Mae Hair
    http://www.daz3d.com/sally-mae-hair
    Rendering Time: 20 minutes 24.19 seconds

V5Super22SallyMaeHairPic01rol.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 397K
    edited April 2013

Artini said:

I will try to render Dragon Lady hair with Lantios Lights, but I am afraid the render time will also be very long.

That's what I'm afraid of too!

The rest look good though.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Artini said:

That's what I'm afraid of too!

The rest look good though.

CHEERS!
    Thanks, Rogerbee. I have just started a render of my scene with Lady Dragon hair and Lantios Lights
    http://www.daz3d.com/lantios-lights
    After 34 minutes it is at 27% (a part of a backgroud and both eyes of V5 are showed up so far).
    I will post more details later on. I have previously bought also some other SAV hair, that has Genesis counterparts.
    These are: SAV Lucien Hair, Mitchel Hair, SAV Eirene Hair and SAV Lynn Hairsets. Will give them a try, as well.

edited April 2013

Oh dear,

Not looking good then, the hair I chose looked perfect for Cameron and River too. Damn it!! Although, there were texture packs released by other artists for SAV hair, maybe, just maybe, they could render better, you never know.......

CHEERS!

EDIT:

I found ones for the two I have and here's one for Dragon Lady:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=94922

There you go, you get all the benefits of the hair, plus textures you might get quicker renders with.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited April 2013

Sometimes its fun to revisit an old image and remake it to look a bit nicer. In this case I decided to take my old superhero Sadie render and give it a makeover. I wasn't happy with the original grass, nor the sparsity of the garden so I put Merlin's new grass to work here, as well as few other props from the Infinite Gardens set. I also made some alterations to Sadie's superhero outfit.

Let me know what you think.

Edit: Posted the original for comparison.

Triumph_small.png
    600 x 600 - 625K
    Triumph_Redux_web.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 930K
    Post edited by Herald of Fire on
    edited April 2013

That new one is brilliant,

It has all the qualities of something by Pixar or Dreamworks and would, as a movie, be something folk would pay to see.

Nice job!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Oh dear,

Not looking good then, the hair I chose looked perfect for Cameron and River too. Damn it!! Although, there were texture packs released by other artists for SAV hair, maybe, just maybe, they could render better, you never know.......

CHEERS!

EDIT:

I found ones for the two I have and here's one for Dragon Lady:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=94922

There you go, you get all the benefits of the hair, plus textures you might get quicker renders with.

Thanks for the link to the other materials for Dragon Lady hair, Rogerbee. I do not have them yet.
    I have cancelled that render of Dragon Lady hair with Lantios lights in the scene after running it for 3 hours 22 minutes.
    It was at 30% of its completion. It looks like if the hair could not complete rendering in Daz Studio 3Delight engine in an hour,
    it is better to look for some other solution...
    V5Super23DragonLadyHairPic01LantiosLights01NDSscr.jpg
    1913 x 1145 - 438K
    edited December 1969

So I have looked for the other solution and give a try Lady Dragon hair in LuxRender via Luxus interface.
    Just after couple of minutes the render beginning looking pretty good to me, so I let it continue for 1 hour 42 minutes.

V5Super23DragonLadyHairPic01Lux1h42m414_01Sp.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 345K
This discussion has been closed.