Carrara Challenge #36 - Pinups and Cheesecake and Hunks - Oh My! - WIP Thread --Meet Ringo Monfort!

UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
edited November 2017 in Carrara Discussion

This is the Work-In-Progress thread.

"Eyecatcher" by Edward Runci  1955

1.  Introduction

Pinups or cheesecake (or beefcake) are images of men or women designed with an undisguised element of sexuality.  These images, often highly idealized, display or mimic the human form in a way that focuses on - and draws your attention to - its inherent sexual attractiveness.  In other words, a pinup is not just another pretty face. :)

However, even though the "classic" pinup - as defined for this Challenge - has a definite sexual component, the sexuality in such an image is more suggested and implied than it is explicit.  Although the attitude of the model may be coy, saucy, flirtatious or even seductive, all such invitations are just suggestions or hopes for the future - more of a tease for your imagination than a "done deal."

Of course, what is considered as sexuality acceptable in a pinup image is largely determined by the aesthetics of the era.  For example, there were pinup images printed in the early 20th century which look very mild today, yet they were considered shocking in their time.  In the current Challenge, we are not looking to shock, but we do want to stretch boundaries and show how awesome that Carrara is in helping artists create pinups that "catch the eye."  However, you can push the limits only so far.  Please remember that we must follow the Daz TOS, which prohibits nudity.

To summarize, in a classic pinup, there is undeniable eye-catching sex appeal.  And yet, even though a lot of skin may be showing (or not), there is usually a bit of an eye wink present as well.

In that spirit, we begin Carrara Challenge #36.

(Further pinup examples and explanations will be offered in the next post.)

2.  General Rules:

1. Each participant may submit up to 3 images, but they have to be in at least two different Challenge categories.  The three Challenge categories are PR, NPR, and Halloween.  (see Sponsors and Prizes below).

2. Images must be new (previously unpublished).

3. Images must be "mostly" set up in Carrara.

4. Postwork is allowed, but it must not be the dominant part of the image.  Posting images of before and after postwork is encouraged.

5. At least one WIP (work in progress) image of the Carrara setup must be posted to the WIP thread

6.  The winner of the "Best Participation" category becomes the next Carrara Challenge host, and sets the rules for the next competition.  But should the winner decline this honor, the winner of the next category (Best Photorealistic Render) will then get the opportunity to step forward and fill the role.

3. LATE-BREAKING SPECIFIC CARRARA REQUIREMENT

This Challenge started on last Friday, the 13th of October.  On the following Monday, Philemo released the G'MIC pluging for Carrara, free for everyone.

To encourage exploration of the new plugin, I'd like to add the following requirement in Carrara Challenge #36 - if you enter all three render categories (PR, NPR, and Halloween), at least one of your renders must include the use of the G'MIC plugin.  It can be used anywhere in the process, and not necessarily the final render.

If you only enter one or two categories, this rule does not apply - unless you just want to have fun exploring the new plugin.smiley

4.  Sponsors and prizes

smileysmileysmileysmiley

Once again Daz will generously sponsor the monthly Challenge.

Our Carrara PA sponsor this month is - drum roll - Ringo Monfort!!  Details to follow.

Once again, I propose a slightly different prize format this month (and it has again been OK'd by DAZ).  For this contest, there are different categories, much like the Academy Awards (Oscars) and the prizes are all more-or-less equal.  An artist can win only one of the Daz prizes, but can win both a Daz prize and a PA prize.  Comments about this are again welcomed.  I explain the process in more detail in THIS THREAD.  Please read it if you have questions.

The four categories are:

Best Participation (cumulative images from a single artist)

Best Photorealistic Pinup (hoping for some ultra-realistic pinups)

Best Non-photorealistic Pinup ( hoping for some classic illustrative style pinups)

Best Halloween Pinup (a no-brainer, this Challenge opened on Friday the 13th!)

This translates into:

Most votes total for one artist: $50.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
Most votes single image (Photo-real):  $50.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
Most votes single image (Stylized or Non-photo-real):  $50.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
Most votes single image best Halloween pinup:  $45.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)

Dates to Remember:

All dates are Daz Utah Time http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/usa/salt-lake-city

WIP Thread Opens: Friday October 13, 2017

Entry Thread Opens: Friday October 27, 2017

Entry Thread Closes/Voting Begins: Monday midnight (end of Monday) November 13. 2017  (DAZ Mountain time)

Voting Ends: midnight Monday (end of Monday) November 20, 2017  (DAZ mountain time)

Promotions

An announcement-only thread has been made in the Commons.  Moderators have made it clear to not place a mirror thread there.

An edited version of this thread has now been added in the Art Studio forum.  Please feel free to share your entries there as well.

A quick summary of the variety of entries you can create for this Challenge:

Past-Present-Future - for example, what will a pinup look like in the year 2200?

Military - recruiting posters and bomber nose art.

Advertising - Every type of product under the sun has used pinup models for ads.

Calendar art, movie posters, and regular decorative posters.

Fantasy art.  For a small example, Google "Orc Pinups."

Holiday pinups (A Halloween pinup is one of the official entry categories).

Pinups in traditional airbrush cartoon style (Petty, Vargas), or as photorealistic images (Farrah Fawcett, Betty Grable)

Feminine or masculine pinups.  This is an equal opportunity Challenge. smiley

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Comments

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited October 2017

Here is a look at pinups through four lenses, which will hopefully give you inspiration in creating your amazing pinups.  However, the subject is vast, and because comments here need to be brief, this post will barely touch upon some of the main artists and genres.

1.  Advertising

2.  Entertainment

3.  Military Morale

4.  Holiday Spirit

All of the images below are clickable.

Advertising

In late 19th century Paris, Jules Cheret discovered what is now an open secret in the advertising world - that if you add sex appeal to a product, it will sell better.  Cheret, an artist and printer, was the Godfather of the pinup poster.  His posters of beautiful women, which he posted on street corners to advertise local burlesque revues (such as the Follies Bergeres and Moulin Rouge), eventually became so popular that the French government began taxing them!

Cheret opened the floodgates.  All sorts of companies began to seek popular pinup artists to help sell their products, which continues to this day.  Here is a small sampling:

Best Selling movie poster

Entertainment

It is difficult to determine when pinups stopped primarily being vehicles for advertising, and began to also be appreciated in their own right as entertaining art.  At some point, pinup-style art began to be used on calendars and posters, as well as stand-alone artwork in magazines.  A list of the most famous pinup artists in the 20th century would include George Petty, Gil Elvgren, Zoe Mozert, Art Frahm, and Alberto Vargas.

George Petty - the name "Petty Girl" was coined to describe his style.  It was so popular that a movie was even made with the same name.  And of course, Petty himself illustrated the movie poster.

Gil Elvgren - "Splendid View"

Zoe Mozert painting her famous movie poster for "The Outlaw"

Art Frahm was known for his models with poor elastic in their panties.

Alberto Vargas was famous for his work in Esquire, and later in Playboy.

Today, a new generation of artists are continuing the pinup tradition.  The 50's look is once again being popularized by artists such as Greg Hildebrandt and Fiona Stephenson.

Greg Hildebrandt

Fiona Stephenson

And finally, no entertainment category would be complete without mentioning photographic pinup posters.

The best-selling poster of all time was Farrah Fawcett, from 1976, with over 12 million copies sold.

Iconic Marilyn Monroe poster, fromThe Seven Year Itch

Arnold Schwarzenner back in the 1970's

The queen of pinups, Bettie Page

Military Morale

In WW1, US President Woodrow Wilson formed the Division of Pictorial Publicity to stir up patriotism and inspire new troops to fight.

This was one of the poster messages, which seems a bit odd today:

Here is a masculine call to join the Navy

In WW2, pinups really hit their stride.  Allies and Axis forces both used them to boost morale.

The famous Betty Grable poster - 5 million were distributed.

WW2 was also considered the golden age of aircraft nose art.  According the wikipedia, the practice of adding pinup art to the nose of the plane was "to express the individuality often constrained by the uniformity of the military, to evoke memories of home and peacetime life, and as a kind of psychological protection against the stresses of war and the probability of death. The appeal, in part, came from nose art not being officially approved, even when the regulations against it were not enforced."    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nose_art

Holiday Spirit

Holidays have always been a ripe subject for pinup artists, especially in calendar art.

Here are several pinups with a Halloween theme:

For Halloween pinup photos (Hollywood publicity photos), try this link provided by Diomede.

HAVE A WONDERFUL CHALLENGE!

Jules Cheret 1889.jpg
    1062 x 1482 - 233K
    Belle Epoque Period Poster for Eldorado Music Hall by Jules Cheret, 1894.jpg
    1295 x 1854 - 820K
    1903 -art-nouveau-poster-bicycle-tires.jpg
    386 x 558 - 86K
    Pepsi Cola ad.jpg
    924 x 1307 - 216K
    George Petty Jantzen Swimsuit 1939.jpeg
    1341 x 1910 - 559K
    Gil Elvgren auto finish ad.jpg
    736 x 1102 - 126K
    George Petty Rigid.jpg
    736 x 1108 - 104K
    The Petty Girl movie poster_1950.jpg
    736 x 1362 - 142K
    Gil Elvgren.jpg
    512 x 640 - 43K
    Zoe Mozert in studio painting Jane Russell for The Outlaw.jpg
    800 x 627 - 99K
    Art-Frahm-Spare.jpg
    1915 x 2400 - 1M
    Vargas Esquire 1946.jpg
    2406 x 3503 - 2M
    Greg Hildebrandt 1a.jpg
    1001 x 1001 - 191K
    Fiona Stephenson retro ad.jpg
    801 x 1200 - 164K
    Farrah-Fawcett.jpg
    1009 x 1485 - 707K
    WW1_Howard_Chandler_Christy__Gee_I_wish_I_were_a_Man_Id_Join_the_Navy.jpg
    790 x 1197 - 187K
    Babcock_Join_the_Navy.jpg
    764 x 1124 - 102K
    betty-grable.jpg
    833 x 1080 - 154K
    WW2 Nazi poster, Fight for what matters.jpg
    736 x 936 - 115K
    Boeing_B-29A,_44-62207,_To_Each_His_Own,_98th_BW,_344th_BS.jpg
    2150 x 1805 - 362K
    b29-sheer-madness.jpg
    638 x 447 - 90K
    George Petty 1947 October calendar.jpg
    736 x 1005 - 76K
    Gil Elvgren All Smiles.jpg
    1599 x 2000 - 2M
    Oliva Witchcraft.jpg
    736 x 944 - 63K
    ren-wicks-0061.jpg
    814 x 1200 - 726K
    Raiders of the Lost Ark.jpg
    1000 x 1404 - 374K
    Marilyn_Monroe_photo_pose_Seven_Year_Itch.jpg
    2431 x 3000 - 1M
    P38 Lightning.jpg
    3779 x 3003 - 644K
    arnold-Schwarzenegger-pinup-1970s-beach-thong-wine-babe.jpg
    600 x 839 - 74K
    bettie-page.jpg
    1940 x 1089 - 204K
    edited November 2017

Ringo Monfort is the Carrara PA sponsor for this Challenge!

I posted his profile here.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited October 2017

Unfortunately, it is going to be mighty difficult to find anything in the Daz store to help with a pinup image.  wink

On a less sarcastic note, I like having 3 distinct categories, PR, NPR, and... (Halloween?) .  Well done.

EDIT:

Expressions for the "Gibson Girl"     Jury duty by the "new women", via the Library of Congress collection, from their virtual exhibit, The Gibson Girl's America.

https://www.loc.gov/exhibits/gibson-girls-america/the-gibson-girl-as-the-new-woman.html

Post edited by Diomede on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,199

Yeah... sounds fun!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

cheesy beef or beefy cheese?

crossdressing michael angel

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,199

...a Troll in a loin cloth?

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

...a Troll in a loin cloth?

think they call it butfloss  lol 

edited October 2017

Rules question - really

-

I did an entry for Challenge #6, movie poster fobia, that I would like to start over from scratch. Everything would be new in the sense that I would use different figures, model new clothes and acessories, set up a brand new scene with brand new NPR settings, etc.  I think my NPR tools and skills have improved.   However, I could understand if this would be prohibited by the "must be new" rule.  

The question is, is an image new if it is a new scene with entirely new elements and settings?  Or, is it not new because the basic concept (humorous NPR horror poster with Art Frahm elements) remains the same?

scottish pinup.JPG
    375 x 524 - 39K
    edited October 2017

Rule waived in your case.  You the man!

Besides, you correctly guessed the Challenge theme.  Extra points!  Diomede in the early lead!

Thanks!

Rule waived in your case.  You the man!

Besides, you correctly guessed the Challenge theme.  Extra points!  Diomede in the early lead!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

very interesting choce :)

here's something of mine from quite a while ago

not an entry , you've probably heard of Ernie Schlanganblinder?

edited October 2017
    Diomede said:

The question is, is an image new if it is a new scene with entirely new elements and settings?  Or, is it not new because the basic concept (humorous NPR horror poster with Art Frahm elements) remains the same?

Sorry, was in a hurry and gave a joking (but true) answer.

I actually remember your entry from that Challenge, as I have researched most of them.  What a resource!  And we have you to thank for setting it up.

I think that Art Frahm images are amazing.  Anyone here who does an homage to Frahm is going to get some slack.  Second, if it is "a new scene with entirely new elements and settings," then it sounds different enough to be "new."

Looking forward to seeing where you go with this!

head wax said:

very interesting choce :)

here's something of mine from quite a while ago

not an entry , you've probably heard of Ernie Schlanganblinder?

Ha!  Yes, he is a household name around here. cheeky

When deciding on this theme, I couldn't help thinking how you - my favorite Carrara artist - would deal with it.  I've never seen you do a pinup. 

Perhaps I just missed them in the past?

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

oh I used to run a blog and most of my visitors were women artists and I didnt want to appear sexist so I have avoided the subject by habit :)

you can never tread too carefully in some things

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

UnifiedBrain, very inspiring theme of challenge! I've never did any pinup (as on your picture above). My pot is starting to boil.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,656
    edited October 2017

WIP Halloween

Pinup Orc 1 Carrara.png
    1923 x 1040 - 429K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited October 2017

Pinup Orc

Pinup Orc 1 Carrara2.png
    2531 x 1044 - 660K
    Pinup Orc 1 Topaz 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 5M
    edited October 2017
    Vyusur said:

UnifiedBrain, very inspiring theme of challenge! I've never did any pinup (as on your picture above). My pot is starting to boil.

HAHAHA!!  A sneaky video!

If you are looking for materials for a sexy pinup, you don't have far to look. cheeky

Lukas by Vyusur

05-vyusur-lukas-art-daz3d.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 198K
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Wow! Thank you, UnifiedBrain! Now I have an idea about the pinup.

edited October 2017

Bikini time

Pinup G2F 1 Carrara.png
    2268 x 1042 - 2M
    Pinup G2F 1 Topaz 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 5M
    edited October 2017
    head wax said:

oh I used to run a blog and most of my visitors were women artists and I didnt want to appear sexist so I have avoided the subject by habit :)

you can never tread too carefully in some things

OK, this post struck a chord.  Are you sure that these ladies - who are artists - would have their sensibilities offended by a standard pinup?  Or is it fear of political correctness regarding treating women as objects?

You know your visitors (fans) bettter than I, but I think that most women (especially women artists) are open to attractive expressions of the human figure.smiley

Plus, it is a fact that some of the most famous and sought-after pinup artists from the past (and present) are women.  They seem to me more like strong female role models than anything else.  All of them are versed in multiple genres and artistic techniques.  They don't apologize for their pinup work, and I think you will agree, there is no reason for them to do so.

In the last century, there was Joyce Ballantyne (who also created the famous Coppertone ad), Pearl Frush, and Zoe Mozert.  There was also the luminous paintings of Mabel Rollins Harris, an artist in the 1930's who was equally at home illustrating children's books as she was in showing the female figure in all it's glory (you'll have to Google her, as most of her adult artwork was nudes).   And of course, Olivia De Berardinis, who took over for Vargas in Playboy.

Images from each are posted below.

Fortunately, Olivia is still going strong, leading the next generation of talented gals who have kept the comic-fantasy-pinup fires lit.  Today we see fabulous work from Fiona Stephenson, Jennifer Janseko, Susan Heidi, Nathalie Rattner, and Carla Wyzgala.  A sample of their work is also posted below.  Within this post, I thought it would be nice to post some pictures of the actual artists as well:

Oliva

Fiona Stephenson  Her twitter feed is well worth a look

Jennifer Janesco

Susan Heidi

Carla Wyzgala

Joyce-Ballantyne-06.jpg
    1800 x 2400 - 1M
    Pearl Frush pinup.jpg
    842 x 1141 - 90K
    Zoe Mozert.jpg
    1280 x 1798 - 236K
    Olivia De Berardinis.jpg
    1235 x 1860 - 959K
    Fiona Stephenson.jpg
    736 x 1104 - 89K
    Jennifer Janesko.jpg
    780 x 1136 - 702K
    Susan Heidi pinup.jpg
    628 x 800 - 78K
    Nathalie Rattner.jpg
    600 x 650 - 56K
    Carla Wyzgala Catwoman.jpg
    861 x 1250 - 663K
    Olivia-in-Studio_for-bio.jpg
    559 x 480 - 212K
    Fiona Stephenson comic show.jpg
    567 x 1199 - 112K
    Jennifer Janesko pic.jpg
    427 x 640 - 62K
    Susan Heidi pic.jpg
    488 x 469 - 86K
    Carla Wyzgala at DragonCon 2016.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 130K
    edited October 2017

NPR

Carrara setup

Base render after Topaz Adjust used for colour correction.

NPR - used combination of Filter Forge and FotoSketcher

Pinup V4 Delphene 1 Carrara.png
    2274 x 1035 - 1M
    Pinup V4 Delphene 1 Topaz 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 3M
    Pinup V4 Delphene 1 Topaz_FtSkWater5 FltFrgChina 1600.png
    1600 x 1200 - 4M
    edited October 2017

UB and HW - The forum TOS seems to address these issues.  Lets all try to be reasonable, and if the Mods have to step in for some rare and exceptional reason, lets try to be understanding of their role, and make changes as required.  Copied and pasted from the forum TOS link.  Will comment on Joyce Ballantyne in second post.

Gallery and Posted Image Conduct

• Images may not show genitals, or the bare groin or buttocks, of humanoid figures. Images of female humanoids may not show the breasts.
    • Any image that conflicts with the nature of this forum or is found to be inappropriate for the forum’s wide audience will be removed and the author notified.
    • Images will not display the act of sexual copulation, masturbation, or oral sex.
    • Images that may be considered sexually suggestive will be reviewed by the staff of this site as to its appropriateness for inclusion in the Gallery.
    • Daz 3D retains the rights to remove any image(s) for any reason.
    • Images will not display rape, torture, or the act of physical mutilation.
    • Images that may appear gratuitously violent will be reviewed by the staff of this site for its appropriateness for inclusion in the gallery.
    • Images that contain depictions of children are especially sensitive and will be reviewed even more strictly than other such images.
    • Images that may be considered as an attack on a person or their beliefs will be reviewed for its appropriateness in the gallery.
    • This gallery is intended for works of art only and not for advertising purposes. Any image that can be construed as a “product shot” may be removed at the discretion of the staff. However, a listing of the products used in an image is acceptable and encouraged. Products used in the creation of gallery images that are for sale at http://www.daz3d.com will be shown with active links. Products used that are not available from http://www.daz3d.com will not be linked to.

Joyce Ballantyne sometimes used herself as her model.  Nice way to save money.  In my opinion, her work entitled, Of Course, You Have to Use Your Imagination, would be very, very, very tame if posted to the Daz gallery.  I think my second entry will have to be something in her framework.

joyce ballantyne imagination.JPG
    371 x 521 - 41K

Vyusur - fun video, I was fooled.  I used your Lukas character for Frazetta last month, might see how he looks in a kilt holding a bag of celery this month.

HeadWax - Ernie better worry about the animal rights folks if he mistreats his snake in public.

Bunyip - wow, again, you are on speed dial.  Impressive already.  Of the three, I like NPR the best (because you know I like NPR), then bikini time, then the orc pinup.  The orc could use a little more contrast with the background, in my view.  

edited October 2017
    Diomede said:

UB and HW - The forum TOS seems to address these issues.  Lets all try to be reasonable, and if the Mods have to step in for some rare and exceptional reason, lets try to be understanding of their role, and make changes as required. 

Are you trying to create some controversy? smiley  I'll go along with it if it gets us more entries. :)

Not sure why you think TOS is a factor in my post.  I try to deal with facts.  Daz is a pinup haven.  I have outlined very clearly in the first post what the constraints are in the Challenge, and they are perfectly aligned with TOS.  My comment was more about the acceptance of pinups as legitimate art.  In responding to HW, I was wondering about the need to be cautious when discussing or displaying pinups online when female artists were present.  I wondered aloud if it was necessary, or if it was unnecessary political correctness, given in part that female artists are solidly entrenched in the pinup field.  I posted pictures of these gals because I admire them for their talent and accomplishments.  That was it.smiley

Are any female artists here offended by pinup art?

Baron von Lind take of MM poster.jpg
    736 x 1100 - 75K

Note - I changed General Rule #1.  Before, if you entered 3 images, they had to each be in different categories - PR, NPR, or Halloween.  The change is, now you can enter 2 images in a single category, but if you enter a third one, it has to be in one of the other categories.

Technically, it means that you can now enter 3 PhotoReal images, as long as one is Halloween.  The same goes for NonPhotoReal.

Hope that is clear!

Hey Bunyip,

I liked all three, and I hope that you don't mind some comments.  Feel free to ignore, for sure.

I think that the Orc render violates the first rule of pinups, that the model has to be physically attractive.  Of couse, I might feel differently if I was an orc. smiley

The Bikini Time render had all the elements of a good PR render - attractiveness, pose, and facial expression.  The lighting is good - but can it be better?  Her face is kind of dark.  Plus, the background is so real, that it makes me more critical of her costume and hair.  Something about them doesn't look right to me.  High realism in PR images is difficult to pull off - the flaws are noticed but difficult to explain sometimes.  I'm not sure that I could do as well, so I congratulate you on your efforts.  Please keep working on it.  We now have a Challenge designed for the realistic human figure geeks, and I hope that a few show up to share their secrets.  PhilW?  Margaremoto?  Are you folks out there?

Your third render, NPR, has a cool environment.  Can you make the facial expression more clear, and central to the image?  Can you do a more provocative pose?  Most of the time, I just want to see a sexier image, and that is sometimes hard to define!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Are any female artists here offended by pinup art?

Not if you include some male pinups as well

Of course!  This is an equal opportunity Challenge.smileysmileysmiley