Daz 3D Introduces dForce Physics Engine

Comments

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917

I'd love to be able to try this but DIM is being a real pain today and taking forever to startup and find my items.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited October 2017
    Chohole said:
    Mada said:

Did you see this one? 

Yeah, I watched it. It shows how to do it with the already set up dress that comes with the dforce essentials. I had no problem using it with dress it comes with:

However it doesn't tell how to turn other clothing into dforce compliant (or whatever it's called) material. I tried to follow one of your videos but you have different options than I do. For instance when you went under your dforce settings, on your video it shows "Add dForce modifier and surface simulation settings".  But it doesn't give me that option.

Have you read the "dForce - Start Here" (https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203081) thread? Particularly the first post, and more specifically the response to the "How do I get started?" (http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203081#get_started) question. If you do nothing else, pay particular attention to the note at the bottom of that response.

Oh, thank you! :D I'll read it. I'm sure it will help a lot. :) If I can focus long enough to read it all anyway. lol Darn ADD doesn't play well with giant wall-o-texts. heheh :) Thank you for the link, I'll force myself to read it, as I'm sure it will be a big help in learning how to do this properly. :)

I've managed to figure some of it out. I got it to work well enough to do a couple renders so far. This one is kind Christmasy - I know, I know, WAY too early for Christmas. But I love Christmas! heheh

Three tips that seem to help, at least for me:

1) Set the figure to "base" resolution (seems to help with crashing, I think).

2) Hide EVERYTHING but the figure - this includes lashes, eyebrows, hair - everything.

3) Pose the figure THEN load the clothing item (don't know why, but it seems to help - at least for me).

Then select the clothing item and apply the dforce dynamic clothing setting, then "simulate". 

Those things seem to help, at least for me and my rig.

Additional notes:

1. Some clothing with just explode. I'm not sure why. But some just explode. 

2. Simple clothing seems to work best. If there are a lot layers and/or a lot of detailing, it doesn't seem to work as well from what I've tested so far.

3. Applying the DForce Dynamic Clothing setting can turn of the "smoothing" for the clothing item. Go under Parameters and make sure you have "Enable Smoothing" set to On.

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • veenveen Posts: 132
    edited October 2017

hello where is the stiffness modifier?

Post edited by veen on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987
    veen said:

Go to the surface of your cloth, once you apply the modifier it will add several new sliders to it.

• veen said:

You need to select the clothing item, then the Surfaces pane. Select a mat zone and expand the Simulation setting.

Stiffness.jpg
    478 x 763 - 115K
  • veenveen Posts: 132
    edited October 2017

Thank you for helping me out.I found the sliders and now its play time;)

correct workflow = add dForce Modifier to only the fabric? i have 3 material in surface pane: Fabric, Loops and metals ( minidress from: Timeless Outfit for Victoria 7)

Post edited by veen on
  • eshaesha Posts: 3,227

The dForce Modifier gets added to the entire item. Then in the surface tab you can adjust the settings for each surface separately, you can even dial the Dynamics Strength down to 0 which means it won't be simulated but will use the movement generated by the rigging.

Ahhhh I love this so much! Once you start to get down the work flow, it's AWESOME! THANK YOU, DAZ! 

This is exactly what I've been waiting for in Daz! I know it still isn't quite "there" and there are some bugs and what not, but so far I'm having fun learning how to use it and I'm enjoying the results! I'm SO Glad Daz has made this! This is exactly what my renders have been missing!

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,899

Any chance to see this work on hair?

*excitement sweating increases*

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987
    Imago said:

Perhaps once they have stabilized the clothing version? The way I see it, for the time being there's still too many crashes, and hair is even more complex than clothing when it comes to collision.

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

got an animation to work as loop

1st pose and last pose are the same but the drape is not

so no flowing loop

any help ?

Imago said:

I just tried it on an older hair (Radiant Jaguar Hair for Genesis):

This is a GAME CHANGER! Ahhhhhh :D

• Divamakeup, I was sitting here worried about the hair and then you posted that. SHEW!!!!

But I'm going to withhold my excitement just yet. If colliding meshes are a problem with this system - and if it is this means you can't tell it to ignore that on the same object like you can in Optitex - then that tells me I'm STILL stuck converting my toon hair collection to dynamic meshes one by one using Blender.

But then again, in my case I'm not looking for totally realistic free-flowing hair. I want the ends to move only a little bit while the piece doesn't slide off the character for toon animation. So maybe things are possible in my thing.

Also, I don't bake things into my scene when it comes to animation. I actually make the animation frame by frame. Aniblocks and I do NOT get along... which is kind of frustrating on my part but that's just how it is. So maybe this won't work for me the way I need it to? I dunno yet. I'll go install the beta.

Although so far, a lot of things mentioned were over my head. I'm reasinably good with Optitex. It took me along time to get to where I could use it. LOL.

I

Divamakeup, I was sitting here worried about the hair and then you posted that. SHEW!!!!

But I'm going to withhold my excitement just yet. If colliding meshes are a problem with this system - and if it is this means you can't tell it to ignore that on the same object like you can in Optitex - then that tells me I'm STILL stuck converting my toon hair collection to dynamic meshes one by one using Blender.

But then again, in my case I'm not looking for totally realistic free-flowing hair. I want the ends to move only a little bit while the piece doesn't slide off the character for toon animation. So maybe things are possible in my thing.

Also, I don't bake things into my scene when it comes to animation. I actually make the animation frame by frame. Aniblocks and I do NOT get along... which is kind of frustrating on my part but that's just how it is. So maybe this won't work for me the way I need it to? I dunno yet. I'll go install the beta.

Although so far, a lot of things mentioned were over my head. I'm reasinably good with Optitex. It took me along time to get to where I could use it. LOL.

I

It might not work on newer hair with more poly planes, but with low plane hair, it should work ok. :)

• esha said:

The dForce Modifier gets added to the entire item. Then in the surface tab you can adjust the settings for each surface separately, you can even dial the Dynamics Strength down to 0 which means it won't be simulated but will use the movement generated by the rigging.

Note that surfaces created after the modifier was applied won't have the settings.

• spearcarrierspearcarrier Posts: 686
    edited October 2017

It might not work on newer hair with more poly planes, but with low plane hair, it should work ok. :)

Well most of the hair I'm going to want to animate are items by Littlefox: the older ones specifically. Her new stuff is beautiful. They also overlap a LOT so when it comes to converting the way I've been doing, they were impossible to work with. And they also just don't have the same type of look I aim for in some cases. Her style has really grown beautifully.

I've got things loaded and a simple head turning animation set up with Star 2 and an old hair. Nothing fancy. I tried loading the video linked in my library but all I get is "access denied" because I dont' have permission to see this thing they gave me the link to see. Loading Mada's tut now.

Edit: I think her tut is already obsolete. I go to add the settings the way she does and do not have the same options at all. I have 3 options to choose from and have no clue whatsoever which one to pick.

Edit 2: Under tool settings I'll notice a weight map that's now available what? There are a LOT available. And then she mumbles something and... I'm sorry Mada. You tried! I can't follow your tut. This is seriously why I hate Youtube tuts, right here. Sighs, puts toys away.

Post edited by spearcarrier on
    edited October 2017

Well most of the hair I'm going to want to animate are items by Littlefox: the older ones specifically.

The older Star hair seems to work pretty good - at least in still renders. I don't know how to animate so I don't know how to test that. Just be sure and turn "Self Colide" to Off.

Post edited by 3Diva on
  •  

Well most of the hair I'm going to want to animate are items by Littlefox: the older ones specifically. Her new stuff is beautiful. They also overlap a LOT so when it comes to converting the way I've been doing, they were impossible to work with. And they also just don't have the same type of look I aim for in some cases. Her style has really grown beautifully.

I've got things loaded and a simple head turning animation set up with Star 2 and an old hair. Nothing fancy. I tried loading the video linked in my library but all I get is "access denied" because I dont' have permission to see this thing they gave me the link to see. Loading Mada's tut now.

Edit: I think her tut is already obsolete. I go to add the settings the way she does and do not have the same options at all. I have 3 options to choose from and have no clue whatsoever which one to pick.

Edit 2: Under tool settings I'll notice a weight map that's now available what? There are a LOT available. And then she mumbles something and... I'm sorry Mada. You tried! I can't follow your tut. This is seriously why I hate Youtube tuts, right here. Sighs, puts toys away.

I think when Mada created the tutorial the only map available was Dynamic Strength. For a starting point with draping you need the dForce Modifier with Dynamic Surface option.

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,899

Well most of the hair I'm going to want to animate are items by Littlefox: the older ones specifically.

The older Star hair seems to work pretty good - at least in still renders. I don't know how to animate so I don't know how to test that. Just be sure and turn "Self Colide" to Off.

OHHGGODD! FINALLY!

*Drops on the floor uncounscious*

• This is so much fun!!

It's a bit odd at the feet, some kind of interference  from touching, but otherwise great tool :)

dForce test 1.png
  • MendomanMendoman Posts: 401

Hmmm, I think something went wonky in my beta installation. In Daz Install Manager I have DAZ Studio 4.10 ( win 64-bit ) public beta and PostgreSQL CMS public beta installed. Also bunch of beta addons like GoZ and dForce essentials are installed.

In Daz Studio in Help -> About Daz Studio the splash screen says version 4.9.4.122. Also Main Menu -> Window -> Panes (Tabs) does not have Simulation settings pane and Main Menu -> Create has nothing for dForce. If I search products, I can find dForce Starter Essentials, but I don't seem to have any new dForce lessons or anything on bottom right corner where is Barefoot and Dagger Dancer lessons. I can open for example dForce Simple Sheet Drop scene from dForce Starter Essentials, but I have no idea what to do with it. Anybody has a clue what could be wrong here, or am I just missing something?

• Did you have DAZ Studio open when you installed the update? Did it show as an update in DIM? The About screen should say 4.10.x (splash screen will be fixed for the next update).

edited October 2017

Okay I've been away with a thunderstorm and fighting the draping.

Self collision was turned off, so I figured that part out as well.

BUt in MY case if I don't have it parented it won't collide with Star. If I parent it, it moves around with her but won't collide with Star. Well, the area around her ears will explode from being overlapped but otherwise it's flipping collision the big bird.

I have no forking idea why of course. I don't know if it's the prop or I did the wrong settings or what. With Mada's tut I had to just watch the blurry video and guess, because I had too hard of a time understanding or hearing her. I cranked my speakers up and everything. All air, no voice. Mind you I'm not knocking the video. Just saying things are fubarred on my end for following how to.

Image1.jpg
    1031 x 547 - 294K
    image2.jpg
    1031 x 547 - 318K
  • I also have to wonder. Will we be able to save the "converted" props? My usage will be limited if not!

Here are a couple more with the original Star:

Okay I've been away with a thunderstorm and fighting the draping.

Self collision was turned off, so I figured that part out as well.

BUt in MY case if I don't have it parented it won't collide with Star. If I parent it, it moves around with her but won't collide with Star. Well, the area around her ears will explode from being overlapped but otherwise it's flipping collision the big bird.

I have no forking idea why of course. I don't know if it's the prop or I did the wrong settings or what. With Mada's tut I had to just watch the blurry video and guess, because I had too hard of a time understanding or hearing her. I cranked my speakers up and everything. All air, no voice. Mind you I'm not knocking the video. Just saying things are fubarred on my end for following how to.

That's really weird. Are you working with the Original Star or the Genesis 3 version?

• I also have to wonder. Will we be able to save the "converted" props? My usage will be limited if not!

See the final section of the first post here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203081/dforce-start-here#latest

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917

Here are a couple more with the original Star:

This looks like one of my dresses!  Haven’t had a chance to try this out yet, but nice to know some of mine will work.

edited October 2017

There was a first post? O_O Ha. I forget how I found this thread. I think through Facebook.

I'm using Star 2.0; the Genesis 3 one. She's easy to grab.

Well, on my end NOW... it's not "converting" a single thing anymore. It'll add the dialogue in the parameters, but that's it.

Yes, it's odd. If there's one thing about me, it's that I'm going to find odd. And I'm going to break your program by doing nothing wrong. I am the perfect tester. And I spend a lot of my time frustrated.

• MendomanMendoman Posts: 401

Did you have DAZ Studio open when you installed the update? Did it show as an update in DIM? The About screen should say 4.10.x (splash screen will be fixed for the next update).

Oh man, it seems there's a new desktop shortcut for that beta build cheeky My desktop is so full of shortcuts, that I didn't notice that Install Manager created a new shortcut for beta build. No wonder my normal 4.9 shortcut didn't work