Daz 3D Introduces dForce Physics Engine

Comments

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Very exciting! Thanks, Mada, for the very helpful videos. So happy to hear this may work with tweaks to existing clothing. Cannot wait to play with this!

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,982

I'm not very happy with this so far... When it works, it works fine. But I can't seem to get anything decent simulated. Most dresses I tried this with didn't render on the 980Ti I have, and trying to switch to CPU causes crashes. If I start out with CPU, the simulation freezes at 1 second, and then I get a crash after a few minutes.

Just had G1 using Miss Fishers Wardrobe dress bowing out on me. No. Fun.

I assume I'm doing something really wrong, as everyone else her seems to be just doing fine.

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

I can't even get Hinata dress started simulating, so you're not alone. But hey, it's still in beta.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040

I'd like to thank the PAs who have popped in here to offer suggestions and guidelines for using dForce! This will eliminate some of the more unproductive experimentation.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,982
    edited October 2017

Yes, the suggestions were really helpful, though I'm still doing somthing wrong.

What I've learned so far:

• smaller items have a better chance to get a simulation than larger items.
    • "sufficient memory" is a relative term. I have 32Gn of RAM, and the simulation for a simple dress still gets my system crashing. And getting it to sim on the 980Ti is next to impossible.
    • when it works, it looks great!

I actually got the simulation to start, and it looked fine, and then... Simplosion!

simplosion.JPG
    1024 x 967 - 124K
    Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • It went "PUFF". No real idea how to fix that, though.

Two images; first is Tween Julie 7 in the Boho Shorts outfit with the tank top. I used Zev0's Growing Up to reduce her already small chest a bit, and you know what that does to shirts. Second is a dress created for another site freebie.

dynamic3.png
    1000 x 1300 - 783K
    Dynamics2.png
    1000 x 1300 - 685K
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Arrgggghhhh!  I have gotten to the point where I should be able to start making a selection (turning the stuff that I don't want to move bluish grey)  Everything looks EXACTLY like the screen in the video but nothing is happening.  Its not selecting anything.  Any idea of what I should be doing next?

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528

So will we be able to make dForce compliant clothing ourselves or is this just going to be abother Optitex situation where only those who can afford the software to make compliant clothing are able to?

• Another heads up, some of the recent BadKittehCo content is suitable for simulations.
  • So will we be able to make dForce compliant clothing ourselves or is this just going to be abother Optitex situation where only those who can afford the software to make compliant clothing are able to?

In short, Just about any obj mesh can be simulated, if it is modeled in a generic cloth sim friendly way.
  • MadaMada Posts: 1,855

Arrgggghhhh!  I have gotten to the point where I should be able to start making a selection (turning the stuff that I don't want to move bluish grey)  Everything looks EXACTLY like the screen in the video but nothing is happening.  Its not selecting anything.  Any idea of what I should be doing next?

To paint a zero weighmap you need to use substractive painting. In the Tool Settings menu with the weightmap selected so that its showing red, press P and then hold down Alt to use substractive painting :)

edited October 2017

So will we be able to make dForce compliant clothing ourselves or is this just going to be abother Optitex situation where only those who can afford the software to make compliant clothing are able to?

You can make your own. Only thing required is Daz Studio. Thanks Daz!!

Post edited by Mada on
  • Aave NainenAave Nainen Posts: 1,108
    edited October 2017
    BeeMKay said:

I'm not very happy with this so far... When it works, it works fine. But I can't seem to get anything decent simulated. Most dresses I tried this with didn't render on the 980Ti I have, and trying to switch to CPU causes crashes. If I start out with CPU, the simulation freezes at 1 second, and then I get a crash after a few minutes.

Just had G1 using Miss Fishers Wardrobe dress bowing out on me. No. Fun.

I assume I'm doing something really wrong, as everyone else her seems to be just doing fine.

I just tried MF Wardrobe Fabulous Dress Genesis 1 and it simulated no problem,  please remember to reduce Bend Stiffness on the dress to 0.30,  I left all other settings at default other than setting to Timeline Animation versus Current frame.  Just slide over to frame 30 and set your figure pose there.

MF Fabulous.JPG
    300 x 744 - 31K
    Post edited by Aave Nainen on
  • dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

You can make a draping sheet with a plane! This is my level of success but it’s beautiful. 

• Aave NainenAave Nainen Posts: 1,108

I can't even get Hinata dress started simulating, so you're not alone. But hey, it's still in beta.

Unfortunately I don't own a copy of Hinata Dress to test as it was an outfit I sold to Platinum Club,  they do generally give me a copy but this one I didn't get.    

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Mada said:

To paint a zero weighmap you need to use substractive painting. In the Tool Settings menu with the weightmap selected so that its showing red, press P and then hold down Alt to use substractive painting :)

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

• Sounds great - thanks Daz!  (Though I'll have to wait til it's out of beta to try it - too much going on right now).

So given that optitex clothes will probably work with this - is the existing optitex plugin going to be phased out?  I can't see the need for two cloth sims in DS if one is only there to support older content that would work with the new system.  I do like the optitex system, but this new one looks far more versatile.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,515
    AllenArt said:
    ebergerly said:

"dForce compliant"?? Um, thanks but no thanks. 

Why not just get something like VWD that can be used on anything, rather than pay for dForce compliant content? 

Apparently anything can be made "dforce compliant"

Laurie

...I wonder if you can do it with any meshes (thinking "Salvador Dali" here)

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528

Sweet! I'm glad there's not a cost barrier to making the cloth.

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,606
    edited October 2017
    kyoto kid said:
    AllenArt said:
    ebergerly said:

Why not just get something like VWD that can be used on anything, rather than pay for dForce compliant content? 

Laurie

yep.

Dripping humans are very entertaining.

These are made by Saiyaness, she is very gifted.

Post edited by Lyoness on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276
    edited October 2017
    Slosh said:

Here is a test I did early on, with a dress I made just for that purpose.

Oh my goodness! I love her toes poking out from under the dress - so cute! Lovely work, Slosh!!

And wow, dforce looks like a game changer - for the first time I'm downloading the beta. Ahhh I hope it doesn't break my custom categories. I've spent the better part of a year categorizing all my content into easy to find categories. I really hope that it doesn't mess things up or get rid of my carefully crafted and organized category system. 

Post edited by 3Diva on
    Slosh said:

Oh my goodness! I love her toes poking out from under the dress - so cute! Lovely work, Slosh!!

And wow, dforce looks like a game changer - for the first time I'm downloading the beta. Ahhh I hope it doesn't break my custom categories. I've spent the better part of a year categorizing all my content into easy to find categories. I really hope that it doesn't mess things up or get rid of my carefully crafted and organized category system. 

Its worth the risk :P

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451

I downloaded and installed the beta tha said 4.10but it's showing as 4.9.3.117?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189

When I click to add the dforce modifier dform I don't have the same options as the video.  So I have no idea which one do use. She is clicking on the add dforce modifier and surface simulation.  I don't have that option, my option just has the option to add dform to static object, add dform to dynamic object and add dynamic surface add on.Those are my only three options. In the vidoe the drop down has 6 different options.  I can't find a way to get a pose into the timeline either.  In the video it looks like she clicked on the drop down of the model to the finger level and then all of sudden she has a pose. I'm a little frustrated as I am not generally an idiot.

Running the "Update and Merge Menus" script in the Default Resources product is highly recommended.

• Has anyone else tried using V4? G8 works fine but if I use V4 it will only drape to the original pose it doesn't follow the animation.

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416

Even when draping via timeline, LM?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,515
    edited October 2017
    Lyoness said:
    kyoto kid said:
    AllenArt said:
    ebergerly said:

Laurie

yep.

Dripping humans are very entertaining.

These are made by Saiyaness, she is very gifted.

...cool. Daz goes surrealist.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    Oh my goodness! I love her toes poking out from under the dress - so cute!

Speaking of toes (plus fingers and other small fiddly bits), does the dForce system avoid the problem with Optitex cloth where small high-density mesh bits of the figure can cause the drape to glitch pretty severely?

• Fisty said:

Even when draping via timeline, LM?

Yes, V4 moves as she should, but the simulated cloth just behaves as if she's still in the start postion.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited October 2017
    dkgoose said:

I downloaded and installed the beta tha said 4.10but it's showing as 4.9.3.117?

I had the same problem. However, I download on one machine, move the file over via a network connection, and install with DIM on the render machine. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling. No go. I uninstalled again, allowed DIM to connect directly from my "offline" computer, downloaded and installed, and I've now got 4.10.

However...

I still have a splash screen, while DS is loading, that shows 4.9! That threw me off for a moment, but the info across the top of the window did indicate 4.10. (A new splash screen, please. It would be a bit less confusing.)

Post edited by L'Adair on