Daz 3D Introduces dForce Physics Engine

Comments

• Aave NainenAave Nainen Posts: 1,108

I do prefer using timeline animation for simulations, in that way one can apply pose and figure morph at frame 30 and it allows garments to simulate to whatever figure shape you have dialed in.  Which means that for custom shape morphs the lack of a corresponding FBM in the garment (unless extreme) no longer means crunching under the breasts or V shaped distortions at the pelvis.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    ebergerly said:

"dForce compliant"?? Um, thanks but no thanks. 

Why not just get something like VWD that can be used on anything, rather than pay for dForce compliant content? 

Apparently anything can be made "dforce compliant"

Laurie

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited October 2017

I've only just spotted this and at first glance it looks excellent. It may have saved me hundreds of $$ I can't sfford that I might have spent on MD7. I do have a coule of questions though:

1. It has been stated (earlier in this thread) that there is no interactive component - we can't drag the cloth around during the simulation. MD and VWD both have that advantage but are there other ways to place the cloth where we want it - pins or pegs or skillful use of weight mapping, perhaps?

2. Will the store be selling dForm clothing that will drape on older figures such as G3 and G2?

3. As I am probably going to wait for the official release, can anyone comment on the simulation speed? I think it was suggested that this uses CPU rather than the GPU so I imagine it would be slow. The demo video has the sim speeded up so we can't get an impression. Also, is there a minimum requirement for CPU power? I have a 4 core 3.4GHZ i7-6700  Skylake which is coming up to two years old.

Post edited by marble on
  • marble said:

3. As I am probably going to wait for the official release, can anyone comment on the simulation speed? I think it was suggested that this uses CPU rather than the GPU so I imagine it would be slow. The demo video has the sim speeded up so we can't get an impression. Also, is there a minimum requirement for CPU power? I have a 4 core 3.4GHZ i7-6700  Skylake which is coming up to two years old.

On my recent MSI laptop, it takes about 10 minutes for the simulation to run.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987

Okay... lessons learned so far: Trying to simulate a clothing pose "on current pose" leads to a memory crash failure (using gtx980Ti). For unknown reasons, I can't switch it to CPU mode.

Running the same pose in animation simulation mode works fine.

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,609
    marble said:

I've only just spotted this and at first glance it looks excellent. It may have saved me hundreds of $$ I can't sfford that I might have spent on MD7. I do have a coule of questions though:

1. It has been stated (earlier in this thread) that there is no interactive component - we can't drag the cloth around during the simulation. MD and VWD both have that advantage but are there other ways to place the cloth where we want it - pins or pegs or skillful use of weight mapping, perhaps?

2. Will the store be selling dForm clothing that will drape on older figures such as G3 and G2?

1. True. there is at this time, no interactive component.  We have been using weightmaps to anchor and not drap areas within a material zone.

2. cannot guess to Daz's plans.  I believe you can work on draping just about any model  you want.

3. In general, I have found the sims to progress rather rapidly.  Much easier to do than the other software's cloth room

marble said:

On my recent MSI laptop, it takes about 10 minutes for the simulation to run.

Yeah, that's quite slow but probably not a deal-breaker. Thanks.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

I have a nearly two year old MSI gaming laptop with a 6 gig 970M gpu and an i7 quad. Simulation of the included dress that Daz gives with the beta is much less than a minute. Faster than Poser, yes, even on this machine.

Laurie

I've just looked at the release announcement and they talk about OpenCL using the GPU or CPU so I'm interested to know if the GPU would help with sim speed - I have a GeForce GTX 1070.

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

My laptop is a couple of years old and about the minimum specs you can run Daz iRay on (or not much more than minimum, anyway), and simulation on the the two piece test outfit supplied with dForce essentials took just short of five minutes to run. All my morphs and expressions seem to have disappeared in DS4.10 beta though (anyone else getting this?). I haven't got time to investigate, so my figure has very static hair along with her perfectly draped outfit and can't look happy or sad about it either way :) I'm supposed to be doing something else now and am off back to DS4.9 to do it, but I know I won't be able to resist looking in to see how everyone else is doing with the new toy. I did buy VWD ages ago and my underpowered lappy hates it, but it doesn't seem to mind this. Anyway, I suppose the sooner I get my nose to the grindstone, the sooner I can come back and play :)

•  All my morphs and expressions seem to have disappeared in DS4.10 beta though (anyone else getting this?).

Nothing should disappear. Everything is still on my system.

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

All my morphs and expressions seem to have disappeared in DS4.10 beta though (anyone else getting this?).

Strange. I'll have to look into what's going on there another time, but thanks for letting me know :)

• EtaminEtamin Posts: 126

Thanks Daz!  This will be a great addition to DS :)

• marble said:

I've just looked at the release announcement and they talk about OpenCL using the GPU or CPU so I'm interested to know if the GPU would help with sim speed - I have a GeForce GTX 1070.

It's either/or - you pick which device to use in the Advanced tab of the Simulation Settings pane. CPU does need the Intel OpenCL driver (which, reprotedly, works on AMD CPUs too).

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

<squee!!!!>

<ahem> Now I've got that out of the way...

Just a few quick questions (out of many more to come) — has anyone tried existing Optitex clothes, or are they incompatible with a dForce setup?

And some posts upthread have said "only dForce compliant clothes" and some have said "you can make clothes work with dForce". Which is it? The reason I ask is I use a lot of characters for Melody and Micah (the Aiko3/Hiro3-based critter figures), with clothes of a similar vintage.

Do the clothes have to conform or Autofit to the figure, or can it be draped without conforming, which I do frequently with Optitex clothes?

I'm running into a problem using G2F and a simple dress. Whenever I try to start the simulation, it crashes with an out of memory message:

2017-10-10 00:01:02.509 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzdynamicsengine.cpp(414): Using device: GeForce GTX 980 Ti
    2017-10-10 00:01:05.931 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(30): Open CL notify: CL_MEM_OBJECT_ALLOCATION_FAILURE error executing CL_COMMAND_NDRANGE_KERNEL on GeForce GTX 980 Ti (Device 0).

2017-10-10 00:01:05.931 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzdynamicsengine.cpp(2176): ERROR: Memory Object Allocation Failure (-4)
    2017-10-10 00:01:06.009 Total Simulation Time: 3.50 seconds

It doesn't switch to CPU, and I haven't found out how to switch it to CPU mode.

Has anyone else problems with simulating clothing on G2, or is this just me and whatever I'm doing wrong?

All my morphs and expressions seem to have disappeared in DS4.10 beta though (anyone else getting this?).

Strange. I'll have to look into what's going on there another time, but thanks for letting me know :)

Have you checked your folders in the Content Directory manager (in case you have located them elsewhere than default, that is)?

<squee!!!!>

Just a few quick questions (out of many more to come) — has anyone tried existing Optitex clothes, or are they incompatible with a dForce setup?

And some posts upthread have said "only dForce compliant clothes" and some have said "you can make clothes work with dForce". Which is it? The reason I ask is I use a lot of characters for Melody and Micah (the Aiko3/Hiro3-based critter figures), with clothes of a similar vintage.

Do the clothes have to conform or Autofit to the figure, or can it be draped without conforming, which I do frequently with Optitex clothes?

You bash the existing clothes with the "Add dForce Modifier", and that will make them dForce compliant.

Optitex, haven't tried them yet.

• BeeMKay said:

I'm running into a problem using G2F and a simple dress. Whenever I try to start the simulation, it crashes with an out of memory message:

2017-10-10 00:01:02.509 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzdynamicsengine.cpp(414): Using device: GeForce GTX 980 Ti
    2017-10-10 00:01:05.931 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(30): Open CL notify: CL_MEM_OBJECT_ALLOCATION_FAILURE error executing CL_COMMAND_NDRANGE_KERNEL on GeForce GTX 980 Ti (Device 0).

2017-10-10 00:01:05.931 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzdynamicsengine.cpp(2176): ERROR: Memory Object Allocation Failure (-4)
    2017-10-10 00:01:06.009 Total Simulation Time: 3.50 seconds

It doesn't switch to CPU, and I haven't found out how to switch it to CPU mode.

Has anyone else problems with simulating clothing on G2, or is this just me and whatever I'm doing wrong?

It won't switch to CPU, you have to set the engine used in the Advanced tab of Simulation Settings (so it's like Iray, but it's a dropt down isntead of checkboxes).

However, it may be an error from a bad model - will it work with other items? Will it work if you do an animated drape (when intersecting geometry will hopefully be tidied away before it can happen)?

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,058
    marble said:

I need to get home and put this on the main system, so I can check out the 1080 TI. So far, on the laptop, the built-in 960m looks to be faster than the cpu or the built-in Intel HD graphics chip.

Lyoness said:
    marble said:

1. True. there is at this time, no interactive component.  We have been using weightmaps to anchor and not drap areas within a material zone.

2. cannot guess to Daz's plans.  I believe you can work on draping just about any model  you want.

3. In general, I have found the sims to progress rather rapidly.  Much easier to do than the other software's cloth room

Many thanks for your answer.

So I take it that there is no option to pin areas of cloth and that weight mapping is the only option for attempting to "guide" the drape? I ask again because I consider this an important feature. For example, I might want one strap to slip off the left shoulder but remain in place on the right.

• <squee!!!!>

I did try one OptiTex item and it worked, but for peace of mind if I was doing it for real I'd export an OBJ version.

Think of dForce compliant as more of a certification thing - these items will work with (and have been optimised for) dForce. Other items may work out of the box, though they will probably leave room for improvement, or they may need adjustment, or they may be a lost cause.

You can do an animated drape, starting from the figure fitted into non-conforming clothes and progressing to your pose, though the default is an in-place drape (you could also drape from a memorised pose that fitted the non-confor,ing clothees using the default settings).

• marble said:
    Lyoness said:
    marble said:

So I take it that there is no option to pin areas of cloth and that weight mapping is the only option for attempting to "guide" the drape? I ask again because I consider this an important feature. For example, I might want one strap to slip off the left shoulder but remain in place on the right.

You can use a weightmap for Dynamic Strength to remove an area from the drape, or you can use the Geometry Editor to create a new surface and give that a zero Dynamic Strength.

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,609
    marble said:
    Lyoness said:
    marble said:

At this time, there is no pin option. 
    I have been able to do what you are asking for by painting on the weight map for the garment.  When I shade the left shoulder blue, it will stay in place. Also you can turn off dForce on material zones that you don't want to be effected. so if the collar looks good conformed, you can turn off dForce for that material zone and just let the rest of the garment drape.  I use the weight map when I am adjusting a large single material zone.
    I highly recommend that you watch Mada's short video on getting started.  She is quite informative and you can see everything in action.
    Mada's Tutorial --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc7ANwKokk0#t=

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited October 2017

delete

Post edited by nicstt on
  • Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

I just want to chime in and say this is VERY exciting! I have VWD, but I've always preferred a "one-click" solution. That said, VWD may prove to be better for older clothing since it has so many options.

And, of course, I can't wait for it to simulate HAIR!!!!

• GazukullGazukull Posts: 96
    edited October 2017

INITIAL TESTING = AWESOME SAUCE.

So, been doing a bath robe on a single frame.  On a 1070 GTX takes about 1 min 8 seconds with default settings... and looks about 90% better.  Next stop hair lol.

Post edited by Gazukull on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited October 2017

When I click to add the dforce modifier dform I don't have the same options as the video.  So I have no idea which one do use. She is clicking on the add dforce modifier and surface simulation.  I don't have that option, my option just has the option to add dform to static object, add dform to dynamic object and add dynamic surface add on.Those are my only three options. In the vidoe the drop down has 6 different options.  I can't find a way to get a pose into the timeline either.  In the video it looks like she clicked on the drop down of the model to the finger level and then all of sudden she has a pose. I'm a little frustrated as I am not generally an idiot.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • MadaMada Posts: 1,865

Add dForce modifier : Dynamic Surface

• Aave NainenAave Nainen Posts: 1,108

Simulations will run quicker if you use scene tab to hide items that aren't being simulated, hair seems to really slow things down in particular.  Once your sim is done unhide hair etc.