Daz 3D Introduces dForce Physics Engine

Comments

• Aave NainenAave Nainen Posts: 1,108
    Mendoman said:

I haven't had time to test this yet, but I didn't see it mentioned if there's interactive mode somewhere. Like can you grab some part of the cloth mesh, and drag it with mouse or something?

No, the simulation itself is not interactive ie: you cannot tug and pull the mesh like one can in Marvelous Designer.

• Just a tip for the adventurous souls out there.  Most of my existing store content will work with dForce with a bit of adjusting in Surface settings,  if you want to give it a try, as a first step turn Bend Stiffness down to  .15 - .30 after adding dForce modifier to the garment.  Set upper garment surfaces for instance: bodice,sleeves,collar to Dynamics Strength 0 to avoid excess stretch in those areas and give it a go!

I'll have to look at your store content again smiley

• MendomanMendoman Posts: 401
    edited October 2017
    Mendoman said:

I haven't had time to test this yet, but I didn't see it mentioned if there's interactive mode somewhere. Like can you grab some part of the cloth mesh, and drag it with mouse or something?

Yes, there is an interactive tutorial. It is on the Tips pane of the Simulation Settings pane.

Thank you. DForce is starting to sound like a really nice addition to DS. Too bad my old G3 comforming clothes has lots of loose pockets, sleeves and stuff like that, so they won't work with dForce, but at least this is a great incentive to start doing my own clothes, and maybe some of my old library can still be salvaged

ETA: Just saw Aave Nainen's reply. Too bad it doesn't work like that. I use that quite a lot in VWD, but maybe Daz will update that later....you never know

Post edited by Mendoman on

Just a tip for the adventurous souls out there.  Most of my existing store content will work with dForce with a bit of adjusting in Surface settings,  if you want to give it a try, as a first step turn Bend Stiffness down to  .15 - .30 after adding dForce modifier to the garment.  Set upper garment surfaces for instance: bodice,sleeves,collar to Dynamics Strength 0 to avoid excess stretch in those areas and give it a go!

I'll have to look at your store content again smiley

Testing so far indicates most will do well without any adjustments to surface settings,  with floor length dresses it helps to put socks on the figure.  Oh, and turn the smoothing modifier back on after simulation runs!

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,610

I snuck it in some promos

This is the battle kimono for genesis 2 female that I used dForce on.

02_LY_Kumiko_HD_daz3d.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 849K
    03_LY_Kumiko_HD_daz3d.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 962K
  • Hey yall, did a real quick search.  But no luck, how do you get install manager to show beta builds again?  Sorry in advance.  lol

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

"dForce compliant"?? Um, thanks but no thanks. 

Why not just get something like VWD that can be used on anything, rather than pay for dForce compliant content? 

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,350

Go check it off in your downloads settings tab in DIM

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited October 2017

Here is a test I did early on, with a dress I made just for that purpose.

Peacock Gown.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    Post edited by Slosh on
  • dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128
    ebergerly said:

Why not just get something like VWD that can be used on anything, rather than pay for dForce compliant content? 

Because VWD is a pain in the neck. I’m quite looking forward to buying rigged, preconfigured clothing items. And also potential updates to existing stuff. 

edited October 2017
    ebergerly said:

No one has asked you to buy anything.

dForce compliant only means that weight maps for draping are included and buttons are not going to go flying off.  You can fix all that yourself if you want to.  You don't need to buy anything special.

Post edited by Lyoness on
  • OZ-84OZ-84 Posts: 128

Looks great, an amazing step forward Daz!

For those currently posting samples, how long does it take to run the simulation? I realize this will vary depending on the complexity of the set up, I'm just looking for some rough idea of the time required. E.g. to reach a point you're satisified with, does it double the total time for a render, or just add a small percentage or ???

Playn arround with this atm ... simulations runs quiet fast. However ... it uses CPU to calculate and only 4 cores as far i can see. Is there a way i can see if clothes work with dforce? Tryed my luck on some and didnt find any that are working at all. (made my test on the included dforce assets)

Lyoness said:
    ebergerly said:

dForce compliant only means that weight maps for draping are included and buttons are not going to go flying off.  You can fix all that yourself if you want you.  You don't need to buy anything special.

So this won't become similar to the cloth sim already in Studio where you have to buy clothing in order to do the sim? I pretty much assumed if DAZ developed a cloth sim it would ultimately be to get revenue from sales of specialized content.

Maybe not....

• MadaMada Posts: 1,865

A quick walkthrough on using weightmaps to control non welded bits... from an earlier version but the principles are the same

edited October 2017
    sebloska said:

Tryed my luck on some and didnt find any that are working at all. (made my test on the included dforce assets)

you will find that you need to add a dynamic dforce modifier to each of the items that you want to work within dForce.  This is how you "convert" clothing

Select the clothing item, right click the sim tab >dForce and select add dForce modifier: dynamic surface.

FOLLOW MADA'S INSTRUCTIONS!!!
    The tutorial is very quick and helpful!

• QuasarQuasar Posts: 574
    Gazukull said:

Hey yall, did a real quick search.  But no luck, how do you get install manager to show beta builds again?  Sorry in advance.  lol

You need to have "public build" and "software" selected in the downloads section of the DIM settings.

• Does this work with Cloth and hair and interacting with say a Stonemason set?

• Quasar said:
    Gazukull said:

Hey yall, did a real quick search.  But no luck, how do you get install manager to show beta builds again?  Sorry in advance.  lol

You need to have "public build" and "software" selected in the downloads section of the DIM settings.

BOOM!  Thanks much sir!

Does this work with Cloth and hair and interacting with say a Stonemason set?

this does not work with hair at this time.

too many intersections will cause the outfit to explode.

• PandyGirlPandyGirl Posts: 105
    edited October 2017

more examples :D

and it is so much fun :)

popup_07.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 361K
    popup_09.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 403K
    Post edited by PandyGirl on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited October 2017
    ebergerly said:
    Lyoness said:
    ebergerly said:

dForce compliant only means that weight maps for draping are included and buttons are not going to go flying off.  You can fix all that yourself if you want you.  You don't need to buy anything special.

So this won't become similar to the cloth sim already in Studio where you have to buy clothing in order to do the sim? I pretty much assumed if DAZ developed a cloth sim it would ultimately be to get revenue from sales of specialized content.

Maybe not....

No, you can try draping anything - the potential issue is that clothes made to conform won't always work well (hence the need for dForce Compliance). A probably non-exhaustive checklist:

• is it welded? fi pockets are not part of the mesh they will fall off, one of the items I tried was one of the Japanese school uniforms (it looked as if maybe it had been made in something like Marvellous Designer so i had hopes) but the scarf wasn't a continuos mesh, it stopped under the collar, and fell off - fixable by adding a weight map or creating a new surface and making the hidden loose ends have a dynamic strength of zero). I also tried a dress with flojnces, the dress draped but the flounces weren't attached and fell on the floor
    • is it possible? Some items simply fall off because there's no way to anchor them (too wide or too plugning a neckline for example).
    • for things like buttons, they should probably be handled with Rigid Follow Nodes
    • a weight map may be needed to handle different material typs or thicknesses (e.g. button bands and hems with more layers of fabric).
    • special morphs may be used to hint the drape, to make areas such as necklines and waists elasticated.
    • mesh density needs to be suitable for the fabric type (I wonder if making the edges diagonal would give a bias-cut effect?)
    • Not too loose - one item I tried had a considerable offset between dress and skin, so when draped it sagged as a baggy/oversized dress would.

None of this is special or dependent on new tools, it's just a question of designing with dForce in mind.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited October 2017

thank you Richard!!! :)

To all: that is not a comprehensive list.

• SkyewolfSkyewolf Posts: 473
    edited October 2017

This is an early test sim I did using only current store content. Specifically the Marionette Skirt and the Miami Summer Shirt. All I did was add the modifier and a touch of weight mapping at the waist and neck to keep it from sagging.

DforceTest1.png
    500 x 650 - 147K
    Post edited by Skyewolf on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited October 2017

...OK, that's a "knocks the socks off" feature.

So the big question I have is which will be better, dForce or full cloth dynamics. If as it appears we wil be able to set existing clothing to work with it that is a major advantage.

Also will this eventually be able to work with hair since it is physics/weight based?  That would be so huge.

Unfortunately will have to wait until the regular public release as my CG work system is not on the Net and does not have wireless capability so I cannot use the DIM to download.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Thanks Richard. That sounds pretty much like stuff that pretty much any cloth sim would need (eg, VWD). So instead of me taking a conforming clothing not designed for draping and having to either fix it myself in Blender or just give up because it falls apart, it sounds like dForce compliant means they do all of that for me. Nice.

Though in the back of my head I keep thinking that once it's out of beta or whatever it will require paid content to function. Maybe I'm too skeptical smiley

kyoto kid said:

...OK, that's a "knocks the socks off" feature.

So the big question I have is which will be better, dForce or full cloth dynamics. If as it appears we wil be able to set existing clothing to work with it that is a major advantage.

Also will this eventually be able to work with hair since it is physics/weight based?  That would be so huge.

Unfortunately will have to wait until the regular public release as my CG work system is not on the Net and does not have wireless capability so I cannot use the DIM to download.

I cannot guestimate what the future will hold for hair dynamics because I agree it would be very exciting.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153

I'm very happy to see this supports animation and aniblocks once they have been baked into the simulation. . it looks like it going to be fun to play with.

And a couple more just for fun!!  I love, love, love this plug-in!

Romance Dress .jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 353K
    MeriMay Dress .jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 353K
  • dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128
    ebergerly said:

Thanks Richard. That sounds pretty much like stuff that pretty much any cloth sim would need (eg, VWD). So instead of me taking a conforming clothing not designed for draping and having to either fix it myself in Blender or just give up because it falls apart, it sounds like dForce compliant means they do all of that for me. Nice.

Though in the back of my head I keep thinking that once it's out of beta or whatever it will require paid content to function. Maybe I'm too skeptical smiley

Well keep in mind they already tried the for-pay version and it didn’t fly. And DAZ doesn’t seem inclined to keep beating on dead horses. So be hopeful!

• PetraPetra Posts: 1,143

So this replaces the dynamic cloth plugin?  

Can not afford those clothes at the moment but very eager to try. 

Great addition to an already fantastic program.