Daz 3D Introduces dForce Physics Engine

DAZ_BrianDAZ_Brian Posts: 345
edited October 2017 in The Commons

Daz 3D continues to enhance and improve Daz Studio with the introduction of dForce Physics. The first implementation will allow objects designated as cloth to simulate physical collision and interaction with other objects in the scene including a posed or animated figure. Other physics simulation types are expected to follow.

For more information follow the discussion here:

Daz Studio Pro  - General Release

Watch a video here: 

Also click on “Tips” in the dForce simulation pane to be guided through a demo of cloth simulation.

FAQ:

Q: Will all current content work with dForce?

A: No. There are certain requirements of dForce compliant content including that it not contain elements that are physically impossible such as multiple pieces of geometry existing in the same physical space. In addition, dForce introduces additional surface parameters which must be set correctly for the objects to have the right attributes in order to behave appropriately.

Content that is designed and tested to work with dForce will have “dForce” marked as compatible software.

Q: I don’t see dForce compatible content for sale yet. Why not?
A: Not all customers download the beta version of Daz Studio. Selling content that does not work with the released version of Daz Studio would cause issues for those customers. Since we expect the general release of Daz Studio 4.10 to be in October we have chosen to also hold off on launching dForce compatible content until that time.

Q: Will I have to pay for dForce functionality?
A: At this time, Daz 3D is making the dForce plugin and simulation functionality generally available and included with Daz Studio.

Q: Will dForce compliant content work with older versions of Daz Studio?
A: dForce compliant content relies on additional surface attributes designed to tell it how to behave when simulated. Content designed to rely on these attributes may or may not have all the traditional rigging associated with conventional content. 

Post edited by DAZ_Brian on

Comments

• WOOHOO!
  • dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,134
    Hellz to the YEAH!!!!
  • jag11jag11 Posts: 885

Super cool!

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972

Well looks like I'm gonna win my bet.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

Okay, since I don't have the beta installed, I should wait on the dForce starter essentials, right?

• "Clean up on aisles one, two, four and eight, pronto" .. cheeky

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

will there be modeling specifications for those wanting to create cloth?

not that I am a great modeller but even a circle with a hole in it for a waist can be a skirt as long as one knows the limitations.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040

There's a fair bit of information in the Start Here thread by Rob. I'm still trying to parse it all (Rob tends to write in 'information rich' mode that takes a bit of reading smiley).

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    namffuak said:

There's a fair bit of information in the Start Here thread by Rob. I'm still trying to parse it all (Rob tends to write in 'information rich' mode that takes a bit of reading smiley).

is all Geek to me

I try and see if fails try another way cheeky

th3Digit said:
    namffuak said:

is all Geek to me

I try and see if fails try another way cheeky

It looks like the starter essentials has sample scenes - wouldn't hurt to start by looking at them.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited October 2017

You just made my Fall ;) But before I get TOO excited, what exactly IS "dForce compliant". And PAAAALEEEEEESE don't tell me you still have to have some plugin, license, blah blah blah bullcrap to use your own meshes for dynamics. I read the first post in the thread, but I'm still not clear on this.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • Okay, since I don't have the beta installed, I should wait on the dForce starter essentials, right?

Yes, but it'll only work with the new beta.

AllenArt said:

You just made my Fall ;) But before I get TOO excited, what exactly IS "dForce compliant". And PAAAALEEEEEESE don't tell me you still have to have some plugin, license, blah blah blah bullcrap to use your own meshes for dynamics. I read the first post in the thread, but I'm still not clear on this.

Laurie

Built-in; looks like nothing else to buy. And looks like it will be fun to play with! smiley

• AllenArt said:

Laurie

Make sure that you have the latest video drivers installed, or in the case of older cards an Intel OpenCL driver which supports 1.2. As far as everything else go, read the Start Here thread. Do take your time in reading it.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited October 2017
    namffuak said:
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

Built-in; looks like nothing else to buy. And looks like it will be fun to play with! smiley

*squeeeeee!!!!* Thank you Daz! xoxoxox

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,606
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

no extras needed.
    just make sure all your drivers are updated as Dr.Jellybean suggested.

• MadaMada Posts: 1,855

Finally gravity is back - no more floaty clothes and awkward skirts in sitting poses... I am thrilled with the difference dforce makes :)

• *cue loud scream*

Oh man. Oh man oh man oh man OHHHHH MAN. 

Finally, a decent physics engine and one that doesn't require expensive proprietary hardware to boot! This is AWESOME!!!

• Aave NainenAave Nainen Posts: 1,108

Just a tip for the adventurous souls out there.  Most of my existing store content will work with dForce with a bit of adjusting in Surface settings,  if you want to give it a try, as a first step turn Bend Stiffness down to  .15 - .30 after adding dForce modifier to the garment.  Set upper garment surfaces for instance: bodice,sleeves,collar to Dynamics Strength 0 to avoid excess stretch in those areas and give it a go!

• GazukullGazukull Posts: 96
    edited October 2017

PRETTY HYPE FOR THIS.

EDIT: More examples please? :D

Post edited by Gazukull on

Just a tip for the adventurous souls out there.  Most of my existing store content will work with dForce with a bit of adjusting in Surface settings,  if you want to give it a try, as a first step turn Bend Stiffness down to  .15 - .30 after adding dForce modifier to the garment.  Set upper garment surfaces for instance: bodice,sleeves,collar to Dynamics Strength 0 to avoid excess stretch in those areas and give it a go!

Thanks for the guidelines! Much appreciated.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942

Oh yes!!!!!

Just one thing .... Please, please, please ... NO threads entitled "May dForce be with you" cheeky

• AmaranthAmaranth Posts: 402

other examples

comeawaywithme.jpg
    1200 x 1600 - 563K
    fromdusktilldawn.jpg
    1600 x 2133 - 599K
  • MadaMada Posts: 1,855
    edited October 2017
    SimonJM said:

Oh yes!!!!!

Just one thing .... Please, please, please ... NO threads entitled "May dForce be with you" cheeky

lol - its a temptation for sure

Post edited by Mada on
  • MendomanMendoman Posts: 400

I haven't had time to test this yet, but I didn't see it mentioned if there's interactive mode somewhere. Like can you grab some part of the cloth mesh, and drag it with mouse or something?

• Mendoman said:

I haven't had time to test this yet, but I didn't see it mentioned if there's interactive mode somewhere. Like can you grab some part of the cloth mesh, and drag it with mouse or something?

Yes, there is an interactive tutorial. It is on the Tips pane of the Simulation Settings pane.

Precocious Dress on Eva 7

Precocious Dress 1.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 319K
  • Looks great, an amazing step forward Daz!

For those currently posting samples, how long does it take to run the simulation? I realize this will vary depending on the complexity of the set up, I'm just looking for some rough idea of the time required. E.g. to reach a point you're satisified with, does it double the total time for a render, or just add a small percentage or ???

It doesn't increase your render time at all.  For me the simulation itself runs very very fast,  generally well under a minute.

• Panzer EmeraldPanzer Emerald Posts: 725
    edited October 2017

This is going to be an awesome way to finally use some (maybe not all) dynamics that were originally made for Poser. That's incredible.

Just tried it out with some freebies, and on a very basic level, it works really well. Moreso than certain off-site plug ins + the Optitex plugin. Once there's more documentation out there and how to operate this to its fullest potential, I can't wait to try it out with more things.

As a Mac user who's made longing sighs and grabby hands at Window users who get to use VWD? Thank you, Daz. Thank you so much.

Post edited by Panzer Emerald on