Fluids in Carrara and a plugin by Alberto is coming

WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
edited November 2017 in Carrara Discussion

I could not find a thread specifically for this so started my own though it has been discussed in others.

I did an animated obj export from Blender and used PhilC's python script obj import plus in Poser to get all the objects in one pz3 scene which I then loaded in Carrara.

then I staggered the visibility only to find Octane Render needs all the meshes visible at frame 0 or it will not load them

anyway this is the result

click to play video

the obj files varied wildly so a staggered visibility is the only realistic way one can do this

I believe there is a commercial sequenced obj importer too if it automates the visibility process it would be worth it, 71 obj was not too tedious but I'd hate to do more!

thread title edited to share exciting development

Aberto is developing a plugin to do fluids in Carrara itself!

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Comments

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited October 2017

That's awesome!

Where can I find this PhilC python script you reference?  I have Poser and of course Blender, so sounds like I have all the elements to make this work  :)

I don't mind if I can't use Octane, I am happy if I can just render using Carrara's native engine if there is a way.  I don't want to have to wait endless eternities running metaball particle sims and trying to tweak them to find the exact right settings to make a fluid approximation when Blender already does this so well.

For what it's worth, I can't tell at all that there's any staggered visibility, it looks terrific.

Post edited by Jonstark on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited October 2017

https://app.box.com/s/9eao7up49pdg2ksr2h3g21ro0c47i4mr

my scene

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?item_id=69093

PhilC's python

Oh I used Octane just had to have all 71 meshes visible on the first frame

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Hi Wendy, really nice results!

I use this plugin to import the .obj seq. into Carrara (from RF), sometime very heavy files...frown

http://www.digitalcarversguild.com/plugin.php?ProductId=21

I thought Fenric had a .obj sequence importer, but when looking and see the plugin I was thinking of is only for exporting sequenced .obj (or at least it doesn't say anything about importing in the description)

edited October 2017
    Jonstark said:

I thought Fenric had a .obj sequence importer, but when looking and see the plugin I was thinking of is only for exporting sequenced .obj (or at least it doesn't say anything about importing in the description)

You're right, the Fenric's plugin is for export only.

His "MDD import-Export" is nice too but it's a Lightwave format and I don't know if Blender can use the MDD files.

Post edited by DUDU on
    DUDU said:

Hi Wendy, really nice results!

I use this plugin to import the .obj seq. into Carrara (from RF), sometime very heavy files...frown

http://www.digitalcarversguild.com/plugin.php?ProductId=21

yes that looks like it automates visibility if you can confirm that I would consider buying it as a 4 second animation was doable by hand but not sure I'd want to do a 30 sec or more one

my fluid obj was not terribly subdivided I can imagine what RealFlow ones look like!

Yes, it automates visibility, you get a slider at 0% at the first frame and 100% at the last one, it's all.

Your simulation is really comparable as we can do in RF, the final result depend of the meshes density and a few other parameters.

another video trying different shaders

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496

This is super cool.

Someone on another forum had suggested creating a fluid sim in Blender, exporting it as an OBJ sequence, importing the obj sequence back into Blender and then saving that as a Collada file for use in other programs. I never got around to trying it though so I don't know if that works.

not as impressed by a drip

reckon could do better with metaballs

zip
    zip
    drips.zip
    5M
    th3Digit said:

not as impressed by a drip

reckon could do better with metaballs

Probably the better scene would be if there was a bucket or something below that the water was dripping into, and you could then see the mini-splash and ripples of each droplet falling and interacting with the standing water below. 

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

There is an great example by Orion_UK in the promo for Octane Render that looks particularly good which used a blender liquid sim exported to Carrara (you don't need Octane to render it of course). See at 3:30 in the following:

(I was responsible for maybe a quarter of the examples that you see throughout the demo).

I have never seen that video before, impressive yes

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103

Yes, Sweet!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

New to me.  Very much enjoyed!

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,381

Why we have to do fluids simulation in Blender if we could do it inside Carrara?

https://youtu.be/4H3HBhPPkbk

click to play video

carraraFluidos.jpg
    1920 x 1040 - 393K

That's pretty damn impressive Alberto!  BTW, your LightX plugin is *the BEST*! smiley

WOW

yes I do play with Pycloid sometimes but it is very unstable

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Alberto - that's very impressive!

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,381

Thank you, Jonstark!

Thank you, Phil and Wendy!

This plugin (not ready to release yet) is based in a work of Ryan L. Guy, GridFluidSim3D 

I created an extension than comunicates with the Guy's fluidsim software. So we can use Carrara objects and forces and the plugin translate this to fluidsim. The results are saved in bakefiles that the plugin reads for Carrara.

The Guy's simulator has many features. I only retouched it something to use Carrara forces.

I knew that Carrara was able to carry out this kind of thing but which was needed a computer much more powerful than mine.
    Excellent demonstration, Alberto!

............picks jaw off floor heart

Alberto said:

Thank you, Jonstark!

This plugin (not ready to release yet) is based in a work of Ryan L. Guy, GridFluidSim3D 

I created an extension than comunicates with the Guy's fluidsim software. So we can use Carrara objects and forces and the plugin translate this to fluidsim. The results are saved in bakefiles that the plugin reads for Carrara.

The Guy's simulator has many features. I only retouched it something to use Carrara forces.

Wow!  Did I read that right, there will be a Carrara plugin for this?  AWESOME!!   laugh

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,021

Tremendous ocean scenes!  Congrats.

Alberto said:

Why we have to do fluids simulation in Blender if we could do it inside Carrara?

https://youtu.be/4H3HBhPPkbk

click to play video

th3Digit said:

............picks jaw off floor heart

Couldn't have said it better myself! heart

• Alberto said:

Thank you, Jonstark!

Alberto, You're great. yes

If you need any help that could help having this plugin ready to release, please don't hesitate to ask. I mean, in addition to OSX compiling.

BTW, I see that GridFluidSim3D  run in openCL, with GPU. That's awesome. You've made a very good choice in choosing the simulator to integrate.

Philemo said:
    Alberto said:

Thank you, Jonstark!

Alberto, You're great. yes

If you need any help that could help having this plugin ready to release, please don't hesitate to ask. I mean, in addition to OSX compiling.

BTW, I see that GridFluidSim3D  run in openCL, with GPU. That's awesome. You've made a very good choice in choosing the simulator to integrate.

That's great news!

• @Alberto, Do you plan to implement the bubbles, spray and foam particles set that Fluid is able to produce? The difference in realism is really important when you look at the examples. That said, it's just a wish list, I'll be happy enough with the mesh and I don't want to add pressure on you :-)

this looks truly awesome I must say

waiting excitedly yes

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

I wondered why this thread was suddenly so active.

Wow!

Alberto, you the man!

With the recent additions of impressive plugins and character workarounds recently, I'm again asking the question - Can Carrara be largely upgraded through plugins?  If so, then the "no longer supported by Daz" argument may be moot.