Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 9

Comments

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,153

Hm, well I seem to have messed up the formattting of that last post, sorry blush

@IceDragonArt - I love the skin effects on your "snake ladies" - especially the second one.

@RGcincy - lovely render of La Piazza - I used to use that in scenes quite a bit (I've not tried it in Iray either)

@Novica - Fane Hair looks really nice - another one for the wishlist!

@Llynara - loving your colourful 7 Deadly Sins / Ren renders.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited October 2017

Well, I decided to splurge on courses and did Blender, Dreamweaver (which is what I use for the html coding for my book, love it!) Unreal Game Engine 4.0, Photoshop. If you like animation, there's a course for Blender for that, too. 

Since we're not supposed to do commercial links- here's a list. BE WARNED: If you accidentally click BUY NOW instead of Add To Cart  it ERASES YOUR ENTIRE CART AND ONLY BUYS THE ONE THING!!!!   

Learn 3D Modelling - The Complete Blender Creator Course   (already told you about. This is the top course for Blender)
    Ultimate Photoshop Training: From Beginner to Pro
    Learn Professional 2D Game Graphic Design in Photoshop
    Learn Blender3D The Texture and Material Course
    Learn 3D Animation- The Ultimate Blender Guide
    Creating 3D Environments in Blender
    Dreamweaver Essentials

Post edited by Novica on
    MelanieL said:

My first chance today to look at some recent purchases. Here is my first attempt with Old Chap by Kayleyss - the first pic is out of the box, the second I added Super Natural Brows by Redz. I like these brows - I added a few morphs to make them more old-manish - thicker, curlier and bushier. The hair is Redz's Classic Side Part Hair. I moved the hairline back a ittle too.

@melanieL  I really like that second one! (The first one too, but I like your improvements!)  Your brows look better than the promos (Which as I said, look like they fade out too much from top to bottom, but not on yours.)  The town looks nice (not much graininess, you noticed it more than we would!) 

edited October 2017

One that I bought due to the more heavyset figure (more realistic) is DE Alice for Genesis 8 Female  I think it would be nice to have her for the gene pool. Particularly the more heavyset arms. When I was trying that one product that aged only the head, I tried D Formers for the underarms and wasn't happy. So having a figure like this would be helpful. The sale runs until tomorrow so any suggestions you folks have, pipe up! 

The DOs in the M.F.Grab are 83%. (I guess that's what they are supposed to be? Who knows.) I only had Still New items, no New Debuts.

I did pick up the Cabin in the Woods and furniture, and kinda cute- the Naturals3 Morphing Tree Trunk 1 has a forum reference by Barbult, who recommended it and there's a render somewhere, can't find it now, but trust me it was a grayish oak and look really good. So I figure if it's good enough for that gal, it's good enough for me. (and at 88 cents!) Give it a try!

Shroom Castle is $2.44 and rather cute for fairytale renders or even weird sci-fi!

The car prices are really good- take a look at the German GT Sport Car in the gallery. WOW. (Share the love, comment and like please.)  The prices are $2.27ish. Can't beat that, shop the cars in the MFGrab section!

Post edited by Novica on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,162

That car does not seem to be compatible with Daz Studio, according to the product page.

Not sure- because this one also says 3DS but it has the studio as compatible. I'll see what they do and just file a ticket if they don't work. The price was right. 

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    barbult said:

That car does not seem to be compatible with Daz Studio, according to the product page.

I noticed there were two versions of many of those cars. One version is for 3DS, and mentions 3DS in the product name. The same cars without 3DS in the product name show up as compatible with Daz Studio and Poser. And it's probably easier to find what you want in the vendor's store.

@Novica, I have that morphing tree trunk. I don't recall if I've published anything using it, but it is at least in one or two WIPs. I really like it.

I've already checked out, and I saved an additional $6 using my PlatClub coupon... (10-17! It worked like that last month, too.)

I used the morphing tree trunk here.

Did you folks get Millennium Man Michael 1 in your DIM? I didn't buy him, and he's not in my product library. But I got him.

barbult said:

@barbult  I swear yours are always better than the promo art! 

Novica said:
    barbult said:

@barbult  I swear yours are always better than the promo art! 

Thanks. The promos are probably pretty old. Rendering has come a long way in the last few years.

edited October 2017

Ren for Genesis 3 Male and Genesis 8 Male      Dark Prince Outfit for Genesis 8 Male(s)   

Z Burly Male- Poses Genesis 8 Males and Michael 8

Super Messy Updo Hair Genesis 3 and 8

First, that hair is for both men and women- so you get it for four types of characters!  This is Ren, looking very menacing as the Dark Prince (after all, that's the outfit he's in.)  I wanted to check out poses and the Burly ones actually have some that are good for portraits.

Ren Dark Prince.png
    554 x 771 - 673K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2017

Here's the 2003 EU Roadster (cost me $2.78, 83% off)  which is a bit confusing in the labeling in the studio. It will show up as 2003 BMW z4 in the Poser>Figures>Auto in Content Library, but that's the right one. The first is with the default mats using Iray Uber Base, the second, all I did with shaders were the main body, wheels (not the rubber) and the white fabric. (Not the headrests, those need some serious material tweaking.)  (Oops, the second one covers the BMW logo, not sure if that is a separate material zone or not.) EDIT- IT'S NOT. If you Iray shader, you will lose the BMW emblem. The emblem in surfaces is just the 2.5 number. STUPID!!!!

Didn't do the headlights or glass window, wasn't happy with the glass I tried. Just getting a quick feel of it, headed to get some sleep. Going to be 10 degrees cooler when I wake up and I may head to the barn or do yardwork, as the temperatures are going back up Mon/Tuesday. High today was 93, tomorrow only 83!

BTW, BOTH the GFS American model and the European are showing a tropical cyclone forming in the Caribbean and going to the eastern Gulf Of Mexico starting next week. UGH. Not good when two models match. Read about it on wunderground.com, the blog section.

I'll test some of those other cars tomorrow to see if I can even find them/do them and I'll let you know.

2003 EU Roadster BMW24.png
    800 x 533 - 327K
    2003 EU Roadster BMW24 IRAY.png
    800 x 533 - 314K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Is today's the same as yesterday's? no changes or anything added etc? 

Wondering what the super duper fantastic deals are .....cos I'm tired and I'm not in the mood for shopping cart jenga tongight. 

I wonder if the PC sale starts tomorrow or if they delay it a day or two...i think last year didn't start till a few days after the month began as the PA sale ran late....

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145
    Novica said:

Note I added a discount code that was in my son's cart automatically, to get the $10 course. YOU MUST HAVE A NEW USER EMAIL/ACCOUNT I think.  And weird- now it shows 5 hours after I log out!!!

Edit- there's a $295 Blender course! ($10) for newbies, I just used a different email and set up a new account.

Learn 3D Modelling - The Complete Blender Creator Course     Ben Tristem and 2 others     $10   /$195

Udemy is a lot like DAZ in that there is always another sale.  The sale price is usually $10 or $15.  At one time, they tried selling all courses for $10 but I believe they found they do better when the course has a high price, and then the sale makes the buyer feel like they are getting a bargain.  Googling for Udemy coupons also works.  They have many free courses as well.  

• Novica said:

Ren for Genesis 3 Male and Genesis 8 Male      Dark Prince Outfit for Genesis 8 Male(s)   

Z Burly Male- Poses Genesis 8 Males and Michael 8

Super Messy Updo Hair Genesis 3 and 8

First, that hair is for both men and women- so you get it for four types of characters!  This is Ren, looking very menacing as the Dark Prince (after all, that's the outfit he's in.)  I wanted to check out poses and the Burly ones actually have some that are good for portraits.

Wow- he looks............like he sucked on too many lemons and is quite irked about it.  XD  Great image, thank you!

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

@Novica - that is a GORGEOUS render or Ren! Fantastic job on him! What lighting and background did you use there? It looks great! 

edited October 2017

Pro-Studio and background is from Rendo, Sacred Woods Ilona is what I have the folder marked. I do Gaussian Blur on all the backgrounds as they're too strong/ look fake. 

Post edited by Novica on

Udemy is a lot like DAZ in that there is always another sale.  The sale price is usually $10 or $15.  At one time, they tried selling all courses for $10 but I believe they found they do better when the course has a high price, and then the sale makes the buyer feel like they are getting a bargain.  Googling for Udemy coupons also works.  They have many free courses as well.  

LOL- "feel like they're getting a bargain."  You are- and quite a bargain!  Anyone who has ever done a video tutorial- just even one fifteen minute clip, much less hours- knows that's not a bargain, it's a steal. Most of these are several hours- up to TWENTY.  But I know what you mean. The mark up then mark down for a warm and fuzzy for the buyer. Works for me!  :)  And often free gets you what you paid for. Horrible accents, no print accompanying the actions so you can't freeze the frame and read what to do, and they don't answer questions. Of course, there are really good freebies too, so I also agree with you there. :) 

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    Novica said:

Here's the 2003 EU Roadster

Nice looking car!

edited October 2017

Back when I was graduating from high school, the VW van was an icon for low-cost young adult travel. Here's Road Trip Hippy Van set in FirstBastion's Rural Crossroads with one of his skydomes. The van comes with Iray and 3DL presets. In this render, I used 3DL since Rural Crossroads is an older 3DL set. As always, every 3DL material loads with 100% Specular and the van also had 100% Ambient, so you need to tone those down if you don't want a washed out scene.

Roadside Camping.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 2M
    Roadside Camping closeup.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 2M
    Post edited by RGcincy on

I still see a few rare VW bus/vans on the road, it's definitely a throw-back feeling! They sure look roomy, probably because they were functional, without large consoles, hanging down television screens, etc. That's a nice scene! 

edited October 2017

Yes, I've seen a few too. VW is planning to reintroduce an electric version in 2022!

(By the way, I just swapped out the image for a new one - same view but found some materials where I hadn't adjusted the specular and ambient.)

Post edited by RGcincy on
    RGcincy said:

Yes, I've seen a few too. VW is planning to reintroduce an electric version in 2022!

(By the way, I just swapped out the image for a new one - same view but found some materials where I hadn't adjusted the specular and ambient.)

I saw that article on the 2022 one, and it looked amazing!!

Wonder if today is the last day of the PA sale, as last year it was extended for a week or two. But it started late last year, I think. Hope everyone got some of the things they wanted, I sure had to do a cart dump and narrow it down. 

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313
    edited October 2017
    Novica said:
    RGcincy said:

...Hope everyone got some of the things they wanted, I sure had to do a cart dump and narrow it down. 

You and me both, Novica! Every day I had a RUN-OFF, after throwing things I'd browsed up or tracked down into the old maw. Then... (portentous music!) ... The CART shall judge them. The CART pronounces judgement, the CART decides the products' fates. Sort of. Until the next day, at least.  Racing the DazDawn at 1:50-something am EST, once again.

OMG I'm so tired, so weary of agonizing over so many choices!     Also, so incredibly depleted, wallet-wise, after a personal record-setting month of daz spending.    I'm hoping this sale will not go two extra weeks like last year....       Bring on the NEXT sales assault already!   ;) wink

~Gen

Post edited by genaris on

I did my narrowing partially based on whether it was a set or not (no poses made it into the cart, poses I can do myself) and then left in the 70% or more stuff first, then went from there. Infernum (which is a Merlin) hit both nails on the head and was 72% ($34.95 down to $9.79)  Then I went for utility (can be used on multiple scenes, such as skydomes or effects) and got the Soap Suds Iray (Gen3/8),   Epic Skydomes- Ocean Mountain Sunset HDRI, SY Clothing Fit Helper (G8M)  and female, iRadiance- Studio HDRIs Volume 2 for Iray 

Wohnen Living Room got my attention as a set too (note all doors and windows open and close)

One outfit made the cart-  I spotted at the last minute  Autumn Soldier (Gen8F)  and you might want to look at that one to wishlist- the second row, second thumbnail shows you the material zones. The geoshell suit will come in handy. At 60% off it was $8.38  The outfit has  textures for it too.

I hadn't even been to the store page yet, just did that and saw the sale was extended.

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,455

What's the difference between EcVh0's Cinematic Render Resource Kit for Iray and Tonal Rage - Tone Mapping Toolkit for Iray? Wondering if it's worth getting if I already have Tonal Rage. About to do a series of book illustrations and wondering if it would be handy or redundant.

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

If you're good at using Tonal Rage you don't need the Cinematic Render Kit. If Tonal Rage confuses and, er, enrages you, it might make your illustration production move much faster.

I'm trying to convince myself it's okay to spend some of my specially saved PC+ sale budget on the makeup sets in Chevybabe's store.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I was actually quite proud of my willpower this month.  I tried to stick very close to my budget and tried to get mostly utilities and things that were multiple use like sets, morphs etc.  I picked up both of Sickleyields Ultra templates today.  Also, might want to check out Valen's Jewels for V4, there is a free texture for it and its less than three dollars when you do your stacking.  LOTS of material sets for it in the base product as well.  No reason it can't be used on other generations. I also got the Dungeon Hall for free because I bought a new release.  I wishlisted the desert robes, those look incredibly versatile and they have a ton of morphs including sitting etc.  If i didn't need the Ultra Templates I would have snagged that in a heart beat.

edited October 2017

I haven't decided yet, but have Versatile Terrain 2 as my freebie because I can add vegetation and hide most of the older-looking ground. (and Iray Uber Base it first)  I have a lot of the older content so I get slim pickings anyway. Note the ruins are not included and that file link doesn' t work anymore.

Post edited by Novica on
This discussion has been closed.