Having problems with the AM Squirrel

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,226
    edited April 2017
    barbult said:

Except it vanishes once you close the file...

Yes, even if I save the file with the exported fiberhair, when I reopen the file, the fiberhair is not there. I have asked about this twice in the commercial thread and cannot get an answer to whether this is how it is intended to work or not. Very frustrating.

Once a fiberhair it is up to DS. To make sure the FiberHair loads on next attempt, pull the FiberHair OUT of the LAMH group. Since the exported FiberHair is separate from LAMH it does not have to be in the LAMH Group and can manipulated like any other DS object.

Kendall

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Why does LAMH ceate it INSIDE the LAMH group?

Edit: IT WORKS!

Post edited by barbult on
  • dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

OMG this changes everything!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,927
    edited April 2017

yes unparenting the first thing I do with my obj exports for rigging too.

I will fix those stretched polygons on his haunches simply by hiding and deleting with the polygon editor as has a lot of mesh anyway.

but its a very big load in studio, it did render reasonably fast though limiting frame times.

Yes you can pose him.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited April 2017

I was able to export fiberhair for the squirrel and save the file and reopen it successfully. I have a 980Ti graphics card with 6 GB of RAM, but I can only fit one squirrel in there. So I created two instances of the squirrel. I was able to add those successfully with the render optimization for instances on Memory.

squirrel 2 instances

Squirrel on tree trunk fiber hair out of LAMH group reopened and rendered again 2 instances.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
  • azoohouseazoohouse Posts: 660
    barbult said:

Except it vanishes once you close the file...

Yes, even if I save the file with the exported fiberhair, when I reopen the file, the fiberhair is not there. I have asked about this twice in the commercial thread and cannot get an answer to whether this is how it is intended to work or not. Very frustrating.

Once a fiberhair it is up to DS. To make sure the FiberHair loads on next attempt, pull the FiberHair OUT of the LAMH group. Since the exported FiberHair is separate from LAMH it does not have to be in the LAMH Group and can manipulated like any other DS object.

Kendall

^Wow, something so simple could have saved me a ton of time and frustration. Best tip of the day! Thank you!

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    barbult said:

I was able to export fiberhair for the squirrel and save the file and reopen it successfully. I have a 980Ti graphics card with 6 GB of RAM, but I can only fit one squirrel in there. So I created two instances of the squirrel. I was able to add those successfully with the render optimization for instances on Memory.

squirrel 2 instances

oh that is looks cool, nice work. The tree looks awesome too, photo or prop?

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited April 2017

Hello folks, about the "missing open mouth morph", I decided not to use morphs this time to simulate jaw movements but rather having a bone that you can use to Bend/Side-side/Twist it. For me it works much better like this than having a morph interpolation between open and close status that produces odd outputs at intermediate values, often deforming the mesh very bad. I'm sorry if some feels it's a bugger but in my opinion it's an improvement.

About the tail missing poses or controls, probably it wouldn't have hurt to make some extra poses; besides that, you can still multi-select multiple tail bones and apply the transformation sliders right? Shouldn't be too much work.

Iray materials provided are there only for the base model surfaces; they do not load or produce any furred squirrel model for Iray. Unfortunately Iray is a work in progress render engine, lacking several features like a hair primitive; reason why there is need to convert LAMH fur to OBJ before being able to render with Iray.

I already had this grudge that doing furred models to be used this way on an incomplete render engine is not viable, and given that most users do use Iray today, I believe this will be one of my last animal models until there is a Iray fur solution working out of the box for it (that nvidia or I can provide somehow).

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on

I already had this grudge that doing furred models to be used this way on an incomplete render engine is not viable, and given that most users do use Iray today, I believe this will be one of my last animal models until there is a Iray fur solution working out of the box for it (that nvidia or I can provide somehow).

Well that is a real shame as I don't find the workflow from native 3DL to any render engine or program an issue. Yes would I like an out of the box solution yeah wouldn't we all but that won't stop me buying and wanting more furred animals even if they are 3DL native. Personally I don't see or have an issue with what you are doing. As for Jaw bones opposed to Morphs...I agree with you on that too. 

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

wait wait!!!!!!! don't stop doing iray till the rat!!! PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!! cheeky 

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,897

It's not that hard, AM. Don't be discouraged that there are always customers with no patience for doing anything.

• Hello folks, about the "missing open mouth morph", I decided not to use morphs this time to simulate jaw movements but rather having a bone that you can use to Bend/Side-side/Twist it. For me it works much better like this than having a morph interpolation between open and close status that produces odd outputs at intermediate values, often deforming the mesh very bad. I'm sorry if some feels it's a bugger but in my opinion it's an improvement.

Perhaps an ERCed pose control on the figure to control the bend would be a compromise?

• Digital Lite DesignDigital Lite Design Posts: 728
    edited April 2017

I just want to thank Alessandro and Kendall.  While LAMH can make you jump through hoops to use it in Iray, this isn't due to their lack of effort.  The fact that they made it possibe to even export so it can be used in Iray and other applications is fantastic!   They are including Iray materials which set up the base character (my little squirrel's eyes reflect etc....) and that is a big help.  To me, it is totally worth it to have real furry animals in my scenes.  Alessandro is providing a much needed genera lacking in my library and I love it.  If it weren't for him, I'd still be waiting on various wildlife.  Kendall and Alessandro have been awesome in providing support any time I have had an issue or question and are continually working on making improvements.  So, while it "can" be a pita to use at times, I wouldn't give it up for anything!!  The alternative (no furry critters) is not an option.  :)

Post edited by Digital Lite Design on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,927

the obj rigged fur works fine it just was a heavy slow job to do, the rigging that is.

Most people will settle for posed fiber fur obj's

as said to render, you can only have one or some instances as shown by Barbult but it renders quite well.

Please keep making animals, I am primarily a Carrara user any way and will add dynamic fur to the critter in there yet too.

• MN-150374MN-150374 Posts: 923

Hello folks, about the "missing open mouth morph", I decided not to use morphs this time to simulate jaw movements but rather having a bone that you can use to Bend/Side-side/Twist it. For me it works much better like this than having a morph interpolation between open and close status that produces odd outputs at intermediate values, often deforming the mesh very bad. I'm sorry if some feels it's a bugger but in my opinion it's an improvement.

About the tail missing poses or controls, probably it wouldn't have hurt to make some extra poses; besides that, you can still multi-select multiple tail bones and apply the transformation sliders right? Shouldn't be too much work.

Iray materials provided are there only for the base model surfaces; they do not load or produce any furred squirrel model for Iray. Unfortunately Iray is a work in progress render engine, lacking several features like a hair primitive; reason why there is need to convert LAMH fur to OBJ before being able to render with Iray.

Well, some of the PAs have skipped 3Delight support, you should skip Iray support. LAMH is designed for 3Delight and you made videos to present a workaround for Iray users. Make sure this information is included in giant, bold letters in the upcomming product descriptions and Iray users have to buy at their own risk. 

Don´t give up, Alessandro! wink

• No.... no more animals? Until Nvidia adds something that should have been there on day one? Or until the next version of LAMH? I feel like you just stole Christmas. And murdered Santa. Via reindeer stampede. Furless reindeers.

You monster.

On a more serious note, thanks for the props pack for the squirrel, it really makes setting up scenes with him much easier, having some default items that the critter can interact with. Now, I know this is gonna sound gruesome, but I was wondering if you had given any thought to doing something similar for predators, be it animal bones or half-eaten carcasses. I mean, I guess my dragons can keep up their human-only diet, but it sounds quite unhealthy. All those additives...

• azoohouseazoohouse Posts: 660
    edited April 2017

Fantastic image Barbult!

Alessandro, your avatar says to "KEEP CALM" but I have become hysterical with the thought of you not making anymore animals for awhile. I was hoping for an opossum to be made from the rodent mesh in the near future. Please, don't stop creating these wonderful furry critters! Keep them coming and I will buy every one of them!

Post edited by azoohouse on
  • Stryder87Stryder87 Posts: 899

Nooooooooooo....... you're stuff is awesome!  Don't punish us poor little 3Delight plebs because of the latest flashy thing not being fur-friendly!!!

Sad panda is sad....  crying

• if it wasn't for you Am and Kendell we and all your hard work and working out a solution to be able to render in iray we wouldn't have any great new animals at all you've really taken care of us even if we have to put in a little bit of extra work thanks to you it is still possibble and the bases are iray compatible which is a big thing.Haven't played with him/her yet but extra bones instaed of morphs sounds like it would be more realistic in posing options

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Please don't stop making animals. I don't care how hard it is to get it to work in Iray on my end.  I use both 3Delgiht and Iray and quite frankly if I want to use them in Iray, I am willing to do the work to do so.  There are a ton of things in this program and other programs that require one to do more than point and click.  That just seems to be the nature of the beast and it certianly isn't stopping most of us from using those items and doing whatever it takes to make it work.  I would also be very disappointed if you stopped.  Plus, the total price for all three items was more than reasonable, purchasing all three together was less than I would have expected to pay for just the squirrel, and knowing that I only have to pay for the base once made me very happy.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,171

Can I add my voice to the "Please Don't Stop" cries? I use about a 50:50 mix of 3Delight and Iray for different scenes - I love the furry critters and really look forward to more. Like some others have said, maybe a nice bold "The hair works natively in 3Delight, for Iray you need to do more work - see this video/forum thread for how to" on the product page.

edited April 2017

The current Iray fur problems are mostly an issue of user expectations and lack of readily available, up to date, documentation. The product page says it has Iray presets, but it doesn't explain what is involved in using the product in Iray. The product page has no link to your video about Iray. The video does not even explain Kendall's crucial tip about how to save and reload the Fiberhair. The latest LAMH manual I have is for version 1.5, with no mention of Iray. The LAMH blog at furrythings.com (linked in your signature) appears to have been abandoned, with only one update since 2014; it has no current information about the plug in at all.

I agree with your observation that most Daz Studio users are using Iray now. In the forum you mentioned an effort to make the current fur easier to use in Iray. I think that is a good place to concentrate your effort in the immediate future, before making more animals. I understand your frustration with Iray not having all the features you need to implement a robust fur solution. I think you can ease users' frustration with the current solution by making sure accurate and complete Iray usage information is available and linked from the product page.

Perhaps an ERCed pose control on the figure to control the bend would be a compromise?

Yes, I used Create New Property to create a Mouth Open ERC control for the Jaw bone, and it works great.

Szark said:
    barbult said:

squirrel 2 instances

The tree trunk is this prop from the Daz Store. It is very cheap and works pretty well. I recommend it.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,030
    barbult said:
    Szark said:
    barbult said:

squirrel 2 instances

The tree trunk is this prop from the Daz Store. It is very cheap and works pretty well. I recommend it.

Sold! smiley

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,744
    barbult said:

Yes, I used Create New Property to create a Mouth Open ERC control for the Jaw bone, and it works great.

Is there any way that could be added to the product itself? I have no idea how to this. And it would be great to have one for the tail.

I'm not saying AM should stop making animals, by any means, they all look amazing, just please make them more user friendly.

And it would be great if there was a link on the product page to a tutorial about how to use and save it in IRay or even better, a PDF with screenshots... I'm sorry, but it gets really annoying to have to search the forums, Google and YouTube when I want to simply use a product I purchased just to be able to use it...

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,743
    edited April 2017

Do you need the free LAMH plugin if you install the full version?

BTW, it's confusing that LAMH is called LAMH in DIM but Look at My Hair in DS, the store and the Product Library. Please, more consistency.

Post edited by Taoz on
    barbult said:
    Szark said:
    barbult said:

squirrel 2 instances

Thank you. It renders up nicely too. Sweet

• Taozen said:

BTW, it's confusing that LAMH is called LAMH in DIM but Look at My Hair in DS, the store and the Product Library. Please, more consistency.

No, the free plugin will not allow the full product to work, make sure it is not installed.

Regarding the mouth open morph, I have not the slightest idea about how to even get started on it. Luckily for me, selecting the jaw bone with the universal tool and opening it with the "bend" slider is simplicity itself, and having said part be a bone is quite a bit more flexible, allowing a wider range of motion and customization. I think Alessandro made the right call on this one.

barbult said:

Is there any way that could be added to the product itself? I have no idea how to this. And it would be great to have one for the tail.

Here, I'll attach the Mouth Open control I made. You (or anyone else who wants to use it) can manually install it and it "should" work for you. I offer it free with no strings attached. I am not a professional morph maker, so I can't guarantee that it will work for you or won't cause some other problem. If the product gets updated to add a control like this, mine may conflict. You can always just drag mine from the data folder to the trash if that happens.

zip
    zip
    Rodent Mouth Open.zip
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,743
    Uthgard said:
    Taozen said:

No, the free plugin will not allow the full product to work, make sure it is not installed.

OK, thanks!