Linwelly's Grove

Comments

• Linwelly said:
    Linwelly said:

Try Evernote - its free and its a good place to put everything into one place, the pictures, the stories, the ideas, you can clip and copy and paste blog posts, picture ideas all kinds of stuff.  Super easy to use (If I can do it anyone can). Its been invaluable. You can put it on two devices at once for free, so I have it on my pc and on my phone so if I see something or thing of something I can just toss it into evernote right away and clean it up later.

And, I'm friends with people who do Nanowrimo, does that count?  Lol. I do get lots of good advice and help from various people though.

I had evernote preinstalled on my phone, so I had a look at it but I think its just not my workflow ( besides typing or writing on my phone is a pain in the... for me) I guess its as well that I kind of have my creative stuff organized in a similar way I did with my resaerch ( when I was still working there which is ages ago) so its something not easily changed.

I guess having friends who are in some way creative as well helps no matter what. I have the impression I'm kind of the only one with the creative nerve on a far cry here ( so I'm so glad to have the internet for some exchange) The only other one with a creative gene is my niece who is 2hours drive away and.. well lives in the worls of 18 year olds (its a different universe I guess).

You can use Evernote on the computer as well.  That's where I use it the most.  I have the app on the phone synced with my PC and my laptop.  The only thing I use the app on the phone for is to use it as a look up tool.  Sometimes, I'm off writing off writing in a notebook which I transcribe later into the computer or I'm on my laptop writing, but don't have a wifi connection for the laptop.  My phone can still access my notes on Evernote that I may not have put into Scrivener, yet, where I'm doing the actual writing.

I love that close up of your last set of images.  Very nice!  I agree with your choice of the frosted glass.  That looks really good.  It's a nice touch to the image.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780
    edited September 2017

@Knittingmommy I might have another look at it but as I#m already ankle deep into the writing I guess I won't chnge now, maybe for a future project.

anyways here is a big shout to Llola and her monthly challenge, as I can thank her for so many ideas and experiences and lots of wonderful renders from other forumites. Its time and again a great inspiration.

So here is my take for September, 3delight, postwork in Gimp 2.8

Entity

Entity.png
    1500 x 844 - 1M
    Post edited by Linwelly on
  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited September 2017
    Linwelly said:

For my own freckles I had looked as lots of photos but made them completely myself using Gimp. I know there is a way to include own maps into the SB3 which I still want to learn ( didn't look at it yet) as I hope to make more own skin changes myself.

So you were painting freckles not in 3D but 2D? How did you account for distortions?

Aren't SkinBuilder maps just regular image files you could take into GIMP and then process?

Post edited by Chohole on
    Linwelly said:

For my own freckles I had looked as lots of photos but made them completely myself using Gimp. I know there is a way to include own maps into the SB3 which I still want to learn ( didn't look at it yet) as I hope to make more own skin changes myself.

So you were painting freckles not in 3D but 2D? How did you account for distortions?

I ... ahem... (whispers: I don't  LOL) what I did is take a face ( that was still g2) to gimp added a new layer and freckled happily along, put the freckles on a white layer and export only the feckles and in DS I add them as a LIE map to the face surface, depending on the skin I use them on between 40% to 90%. I put the map in the attackment so you can take a look. And if you take a close look at my king portrait you cans ee some distortion happening but its not too much ( at least for my taste)

Aren't SkinBuilder maps just regular image files you could take into GIMP and then process?

Sure thing you can do that but i meant the other war round like a map with leopard dots to be applied to a skin with the skin builder as a tool. I know I can do it with LIE or geoshell but theSB3 is a neat tool so once you got a special surface map in you can rather easily apply it to any skin of the G3f

freckles.jpg
    4096 x 4096 - 3M
  • It does take a lot of courage to put oneself out there, especially when its comes to something as personal as art....I have the same problem lol.

I too need to look more closely at adding maps to the skin builder 3.  In my spare time of course....

edited September 2017

It does take a lot of courage to put oneself out there, especially when its comes to something as personal as art....I have the same problem lol.

I too need to look more closely at adding maps to the skin builder 3.  In my spare time of course....

Its not like your not already up to your ears in thing you want to do  ;)  But there I am as well, Well I need to take some vacation time soon, so I hope i#ll manage to get something out in the world then..

anyway here is Clarke from Darwin in duplicate g3 and g8 in the obsidian outfit. My hubby almost killed the the GC while it was rendereing the first time, switching off the power, but I was lucky only the file got buggy, I conviced it to render but its pretty gone now. the the render is there

incredible_sisters.png
    1414 x 2000 - 5M
  • Linwelly said:

I ... ahem... (whispers: I don't  LOL)... I put the map in the attackment so you can take a look. And if you take a close look at my king portrait you cans ee some distortion happening but its not too much ( at least for my taste)

Thanks! Yeah if I compare the map you provided with the render, then I see distortion, but very little... interesting. Must mean the G2 UV mapping on the face is that good.
    Linwelly said:

Sure thing you can do that but i meant the other war round like a map with leopard dots to be applied to a skin with the skin builder as a tool. I know I can do it with LIE or geoshell but theSB3 is a neat tool so once you got a special surface map in you can rather easily apply it to any skin of the G3f

Ah okay. So Skin Builder is not as slow as LIE?

It takes its sweet time for calculating as well but you have it correctly adjusted to the right place and can combine with different things all in one go. it actually has an output for 3delight skin as well ( you need to decide in the beginning of the process) and the maps are correctly set for gamma correction ;) so it should be possible to push an iray only skin through and get a 3delight skin out... now thats somethign I'll have to try...

• Linwelly said:

@Knittingmommy I might have another look at it but as I#m already ankle deep into the writing I guess I won't chnge now, maybe for a future project.

anyways here is a big shout to Llola and her monthly challenge, as I can thank her for so many ideas and experiences and lots of wonderful renders from other forumites. Its time and again a great inspiration.

So here is my take for September, 3delight, postwork in Gimp 2.8

Entity

Fnatastic image, great visual contrast

• Also love the lighting and mood in the one with Clarke

• Thought I would share this, if you don't want to use evernote there's always google docs. Here's what I did for mine. The name is also a link to the items product page. I did seperate pages for enviorments, resources, clothing, hair, exc....

Untitled-1.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 183K
  • AloreeaAloreea Posts: 285
    Linwelly said:

It does take a lot of courage to put oneself out there, especially when its comes to something as personal as art....I have the same problem lol.

Its not like your not already up to your ears in thing you want to do  ;)  But there I am as well, Well I need to take some vacation time soon, so I hope i#ll manage to get something out in the world then..

anyway here is Clarke from Darwin in duplicate g3 and g8 in the obsidian outfit. My hubby almost killed the the GC while it was rendereing the first time, switching off the power, but I was lucky only the file got buggy, I conviced it to render but its pretty gone now. the the render is there

Wow, great render! Loving the lighting here!

• Linwelly said:

It takes its sweet time for calculating as well but you have it correctly adjusted to the right place and can combine with different things all in one go. it actually has an output for 3delight skin as well ( you need to decide in the beginning of the process) and the maps are correctly set for gamma correction ;) so it should be possible to push an iray only skin through and get a 3delight skin out... now thats somethign I'll have to try...

It's nice it handles gamma correction values right. And can you specify which 3Delight shader you want the maps to apply to, or does it only create a material based on one  predefined shader?

• Linwelly said:

This is awesome, thank you!

edited September 2017

Thanks a lot @DarwinsMishap they are very nice and I've got a role for her in my story but it will take some time until I get there. Before that there might be some other renders involving her

For now here is Jackson, being Jackson. Started out as a test and I have to admit in the beginning I was wondering how he will be doing, he really gets his charme with giving him an expression, the zero face is no good for him. I was inspired for this take on him when Darwin mentioned he had the winter soldier on his mind. Iray, a tad of postwork in Gimp2.8

Jackson.png
    2000 x 1125 - 5M
  • Oh, very nice!  He does look much better with expressions, I agree.  I can't wait to see what you do with Clarke. XD Thank you!

• I was scrolling down to tell you you did a wonderful job with the Clarks, then I saw Jackson.  Wow, it's really great.  His expression, the pose, interesting scene and great colors.  Love it.

Thank you both a lot, they both presented themselves as quite the action  types, I still wonder how they work in other situations

• Jackson looks great here, Linwelly!  Nice job on the Clarkes, too.  

• Excellent feeling of action in the Jackson render!  Love the lighting in it too.

Clarke and Clarke look really good, love the use of the spotlight on them.

edited September 2017

Thank you both @IceDragonArt and @Knittingmommy

The light in bot render is from the epic props Godrays https://www.daz3d.com/epic-props-godrays-volumetric-light-for-iray from thePhilospher. I love that light system!

Now I have been trying to learn some lettering for my story and i need your input

here is the krill farm and the main char and her brother give me some chance to try out lettering and making speech bubbles. There is a lot to learn on this one and I'm gratefull for all input on this.
    For one I'm not sure if I want to put up those location infos in the upper left corner. I thought it might be some interesting aspect but on the other hand I wonder if it will be necessary or some distraction an people wonder who's eyes we look through to get this info. Sure here its out of context and then Info makes sense but withng? maybe I do it for scene changes.
    The other thing is the dialoge. I like the half transparent bubbles and I think as I often will have low key panels, the light coloured text in the speech bubbles will work with that. What I'm more confused about is where to place the speech bubbles. I though in a conversation between two it makes sense to have them where I placed them but then they build a barrier between the persons talking and obscure the central part of the image. there woudl have been unused space more than enough on the right side and the bottom but putting the bubbles that far apart doesn't work either. So as I said Input welcome!

lettering-test1.png
    2000 x 1600 - 7M
  • I like the semi transparent bubbles.  I see what you mean about putting them in the middle but I can't think of any better place to put them to be honest.  I think they would look wierd anywhere else.  And them being somewhat transparent helps keep things cohesive as far as the background goes. I like the idea of the info bar for location changes, that would be good information but if you only do it for scene changes it won't be too much.

edited September 2017

Thanks a lot for your thoughts @IceDragonArt, would you mind telling me if you like thse style of the text in the speech bubbles? I wanted the font a bit more rounded for the speech than for the location info but I'm now not sure I like the italic. I have the same font in other variations, I guess I'll have to try with others as well.

Here is soemthing I made for DarwinsMishap as a little thank you, its Clarke and Jackson defending Atlantis.. or somethign of that sort. I grilled my GC with the amount of data so it fell back on CPU, so took a while to render ( I'm still not sure what was that major memory hog but anytime I tried that scene it went to cpu)

Anyway enjoy Atlantis falling iray postwork in Gimp2.8

Atlantis_falling.png
    1414 x 2000 - 5M
  • Oh very nice!  They look very determined! 

I like the text in the bubbles and I like that its different than the info text.  The info text *feels* more technological and the speech in the bubbles, more personal and human as opposed to mechanical.  I hope that made some kind of sense lol.

Oh very nice!  They look very determined! 

I like the text in the bubbles and I like that its different than the info text.  The info text *feels* more technological and the speech in the bubbles, more personal and human as opposed to mechanical.  I hope that made some kind of sense lol.

That is great to know, that is what I was heading for, thank you!

• I love that render!  (I know, I've said it a few times.  I'll say it again. ;) )

• I just saw that render in the gallery and had to pop over to say hi.  Great image! Very dynamic  Well done!

• I agree- it's a fantastic render.  I'm so happy I have it now. 

• Linwelly said:

Thanks a lot @DarwinsMishap they are very nice and I've got a role for her in my story but it will take some time until I get there. Before that there might be some other renders involving her

For now here is Jackson, being Jackson. Started out as a test and I have to admit in the beginning I was wondering how he will be doing, he really gets his charme with giving him an expression, the zero face is no good for him. I was inspired for this take on him when Darwin mentioned he had the winter soldier on his mind. Iray, a tad of postwork in Gimp2.8

This is beautiful, love the lighting, the flying stuff and the postwork!

Thanks a lot everybody, I'm glad that worked now Darwin, I'm still rather new to the dropbox thing, at least having one of my own is still a bit new. But i guess its a useful thing