Diomede's Studio Sketchpad

Comments

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

DS doesn't keep the obj file. When you Save As Prop Asset, it writes the geometry and UV data into its own files within the Data folder - if you look inside you'll see a subfolder for every obj you imported.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

OK - great.  Thank you.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

Hi Diomede , nothing to do with your question but this page seemsto have interesting links https://mustakettu85.wordpress.com/for-daz-studio-artists/

there's also a g0od tut in the npr thread that could be of interest to you

Thanks for the links.  Excellent list, especially the lighting and shader tuts. Heading over to the NPR thread to check it out.  

head wax said:

Hi Diomede , nothing to do with your question but this page seemsto have interesting links https://mustakettu85.wordpress.com/for-daz-studio-artists/

there's also a g0od tut in the npr thread that could be of interest to you

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Nice plant!  I still haven't managed to get into Carrara to make my tomato, much less a whole plant.  Appreciate the links as well, they look quite interesting and I have always wondered how to package something up for Daz.  Not that I am to that point yet but maybe eventually

Thanks.  I've let myself get distracted from the tomato plant project - did a whole bunch of silly killer tomato parodies.  I've gotten back to the plant, and have reduced the polygon count about 40% as per some of TangoAlpha's suggestions.  However, I have not taken any reference photos, so the shaders are still procedural.  Hope to get the camera out this weekend.

edited June 2017

Curious - if you use a camera to help make shaders, not just as a reference for the model, but to actually help in the production of the material preset, which camera do you use?  Any thoughts or tips on cameras?

EDIT - started a new thread on this topic

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited June 2017

So, I picked up the Genesis 8 female and Victoria 8.  The following is just a test to see if I can use my current workflow to create a morph.  Hooray!  It worked.  I plan to learn Blender for future vertex modeling, but in the meantime, I was able to use Carrara. 

Steps to start an alien G8F head in Carrara for a Studio morph.

1 - load G8F in Studio.  Export as a collada file.

2 - load G8F collada in Carrara.

3 - delete eyelashes skins and rigging.  delete the G8F rigging.

4 - select the G8F skin.  enter the vertex modeling room.  select any polygon to get the menu to appear.  set smoothing to 0.

5 - use vertex tools to create the morph shape.

6 - export as an obj, use the Daz Studio morph target preset

7 - start new Studio scene and load G8F

8 - use Edit : Figure : Morph Loader Pro

9 - Load and Dave morph as usual

aa01 import G8 collada to Carrara.JPG
    1828 x 952 - 154K
    aa05 turn off smoothing.JPG
    1097 x 863 - 100K
    aa24 ear smoohed.JPG
    1731 x 979 - 169K
    aa25 morphs export daz morph setting obj.JPG
    1409 x 874 - 106K
    aa26 studio morp loader pro carrara units.JPG
    1585 x 904 - 175K
    aa29 morph applied in Studio.JPG
    1527 x 961 - 143K

Looking again, I think it is a V8ldemort morph!  She who shall not be named.  surprise

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    Diomede said:

Looking again, I think it is a V8ldemort morph!  She who shall not be named.  surprise

so you cloth simmed her face?

I just used the regular vertex editing tools. 

A new RRRR has been announced.  Great vehicle to learn an unfamiliar software.  Good timing.  laugh

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/178416/rrrr-a-long-time-ago-or-far-far-away-contest#latest

I will try to do an entry using Daz Studio.  Here is my first draw.
    2674 3373 1285 2502

Random numbers generated Jun 23 2017 at 10:13:22 by www.psychicscience.org 
    Free educational resources for parapsychology and psychical research.

2674    Glamorous Aiko Set for Aiko 3,"4285","2013-02-14T20:24:27Z"  

3373      Laid Back Outfit for Genesis 3 Male(s),"23331","2015-11-13T16:38:05Z"     
    1285       Creature Creator Add-ons For Genesis 2 Male(s),"19399","2014-07-11T06:34:38Z"     

2502       FWSA Riva,"18338","2014-02-11T15:48:38Z" 

I've assembled the minimum. 

1) converted the A3 Glamour outfit for use with G2F Riva in two steps: (a) convert from A3 to Genesis 1, then (b) genesis 1 to G2F

2) Loaded G2F Riva character and then loaded the glamour outfit converted in step 1

3) Loaded G3M Lucious character and applied the Laid Back outfit for G3M.

4) Loaded the G2M character and apllied the creature creator pack for G2M

I will be asking for advice on texture conversions, morphing, lighting, etc.  As always, suggestions welcome.

ff01 load draw1 including aiko3 glamour outfit on riva g2f g3m laid back outfit and g2m creature creator.JPG
    1408 x 1003 - 158K
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    Diomede said:

So, I picked up the Genesis 8 female and Victoria 8.  The following is just a test to see if I can use my current workflow to create a morph.  Hooray!  It worked.  I plan to learn Blender for future vertex modeling, but in the meantime, I was able to use Carrara. 

She certainly looks interesting! The ears are particularly unique.

edited June 2017

Thank you for the comments, Novica and Headwax.  I am currently working on a rigging a book for animation.  The pages are set up for rigging.  I have a poser cr2 version.  I am still trying to get the folder structure correct for DUF projects.  Some generous people have posted the process.  yes​  When I get more at ease with the folder structure, I will post the tomato plant and the book DUFs as freebies.  The book's covers and pages will each have 10 joints for bending.

gg60 mesh and uvmap of evised book.JPG
    1864 x 997 - 272K
    gg63 polygon groups.JPG
    1223 x 1020 - 119K
    edited June 2017

Made a couple of changes to the rigged book project based on some suggestions from forum folks.  Thanks  yes

As per suggestions, the base book model is square and the shader domains / materal zones for the covers and pages fill the square uvmap.  That way a person can take any image and project it on the cover.  Different proportioned images will be accommodated by using morphs, which requires a slightly more complicated rigging.  In addition, the pages now have 9 segments, although the covers still have 10. 

Here is some basic information for the revised project.  The pages still have thickness so that they can be tured in an animation and have different images on back and front.  The base of the figur is the spine of the book and the covers and pages extend as limbs.  Can confirm the square uvmap for the covers and pages.  The spine is not square.  I made some sample images to be materials for the covers and pages.  For grins, I titled it the Unofficial Daz Studio 5.1 Handbook because it might be that long before I finish.  wink​  I exported from my modeling program (Carrara) as an obj at Daz Studio Full Screen preset size.  I saved to the obj to the project folder in a structure recommended by forum folks - again, thank you.

zz01 render new book.jpg
    640 x 480 - 24K
    zz02 polygon groups.JPG
    1711 x 994 - 154K
    zz03 all square covers and pages share full square uvmap.JPG
    1761 x 967 - 165K
    zz04 uvmap for spine outer not full map.JPG
    1742 x 983 - 149K
    zz05 export obj name format.JPG
    1461 x 971 - 154K
    zz07 saved materials maps.jpg
    659 x 649 - 173K

OK - getting closer to being able to distribute as a freebie.  I successfully rigged and saved a version as a figure/prop preset to what I think is the DAZ duf folder structure.  It loads on my machine and the pages can be turned seprately by using bones rather than morphs.  I still want to improve the weightmaps a little but it works.  Yay.  I also need to make the dimension morphs.  This new version that I created is a base square so that the maps for the pages map the full uvmap.  Once the dimension FBMs are in place, you will be able to load the book, apply any image you want to a page or the cover, then morph the book to dimensions matching your image to minimize distortion.

yy251 test render iray just the cover.jpg
    1137 x 887 - 122K
    yy251b test render iray open.jpg
    1379 x 887 - 153K
    edited June 2017

Here is another test of posing/rotating bones of the covers and pages. 

xx02 posed render in carrara.jpg
    640 x 480 - 16K
    edited July 2017

Here is the book as a freebie.

https://www.sharecg.com/v/88785/view/5/3D-Model/book-turn-pages

It is in the Daz Studio file structure.  I hope that you can simply copy the "content" folder to your own content folder.  It should create a Diomede folder in your Studio props library.  The book will be there.  The file is large because of all of the textures needed for the covers, pages, etc.  The uvmaps for the covers are square.  Just load your own image for the cover and for the pages.  If your own cover is not square, load it anyway then adjust the scale of the book to match your image.  For example, if your cover's height is longer than width, then just adjust the book's scale in the height direction.  The uvmap template for the spine is included in the materials folder. 

NOTE - the book rigging has an inconvenient flaw.  The base bone is anchored at zero, zero, zero.  Not sure why and I can fix in an update, but thought people might like the book figure anyway.

edited July 2017

Here is a concept test of animating the above freebie book.  I loaded an animation to the first page.  Click to run the animation - just a second.

edited August 2017

Freebie Coming Soon

Genesis 8 Male War Kilt - Classical era style warrior skirt with leather straps and a bronze buckle. 

Perfect for your Homeric hero or Roman centurion.

I modeled a version of this to fit Vyusur's Genesis 3 Male Lukas character.  For myself, I will be using VWD.  The belt and buckle have separate material zones for ease of selection in VWD.  However, I thought people might like to use it with the new Genesis 8 Male.  I morphed it to fit the default Genesis 8.  I am in the process of converting it to a conforming figure so that people can use autofit for their body shapes, but I'd still recommend using VWD if you have it.  Similar to the book above, I need to get the file structure correct before I can offer it as a freebie.  Iray shaders are still an issue with me so I might not let that hold it up because a lot of people would apply their own presets anyway.

hh01 g8m war kilt.JPG
    844 x 647 - 61K
    edited September 2017

My workflow for custom G8M morphs and simple paint.

Took the next step in having a workflow for Genesis 8.  I am posting my current workflow here in screencaps so I can go back and use it later.  Now that Misty (currently Mistara, I think) has made the G8M character Carara loadable, it is very simple.

- Load Misty's G8M default in Carrara

- Use the displacement brush, smooth, magnet, and vertex tools to morph as desired.

- Export as obj and choose Daz Studio morph option in export dialogue

- In Daz Studio, load G8M, use morphloader pro to browse to file, use Carrara file option.

Woohoo

I also tested using Carrara's 3D paint tool, which also worked.  Wouldn't want to use it for detailed work, but very useful to line up basic things with morphs while creating.  And the stamp tool is perfect for tattoos.

edited January 2018

1)  Open Carrara and load Misty's G8M character (available at that other store)

2) Make sure smoothing is set to zero in all settings - and choose symmetry if desired.

3) Tools include magnet, displacement brush, smoothing brush, and normal vertex selection and manipulation

4) If using displacement brush in displacement mode, set the strength very low (2 or 3)

5) I did a test morph to make a flower ring around the G8M face.

aa01 load G8M Carrara from Mistys charater set.JPG
    1913 x 1036 - 216K
    aa02 vertex modeler make sure smoothing at zero and symmetry on.JPG
    1911 x 1037 - 224K
    aa03 two tools upper left magnet and displacement brush.JPG
    1915 x 1040 - 225K
    aa06 in displace mode generally want the stength set very low.JPG
    1907 x 1034 - 139K
    aa08 sample head morph for flower people.JPG
    1913 x 1024 - 130K
    edited September 2017

6) When ready, double check that smoothing is off, then select actor and export as obj file, choose destination that you use for your custom content

7) Make sure to choose Daz Studio (morph) setting in obj export dialogue

8) In Studio, load G8M

9) Use Edit : Figure: Morphloader Pro 

10) Navigate to morph location

11) Can change name of morph and location of morph parameter using right side of Morph loader pro menu

aa27 select figure and sexport as obj file location to content creation.JPG
    1916 x 932 - 188K
    aa28 export dialogue choose daz studio morph target option and with morph and skinning.JPG
    1844 x 995 - 191K
    aa29 start studio and load deault genesis 8 male default.JPG
    1903 x 1029 - 195K
    aa30 edit fgure morph loader pro chose carrara units.JPG
    1776 x 1007 - 183K
    aa31 browse to morph location.JPG
    1431 x 961 - 163K
    aa33 property group right click change morph loader to actor head.JPG
    1557 x 928 - 165K
    edited September 2017

It worked!

12) Confirm that custom morph is in desired location, in this case  Actor : Head parameter location  Set to 1 and it should work

aa35 flowerHeadTest is in shaping tab under actor head.JPG
    1898 x 991 - 239K
    edited September 2017

Custom paint works along the same lines.  I am going to paint some stripes for the morph above

1) Load Misty's G8M character in Carrara

2)  The 3D paint tool is near top left of screen.  Select the actor level and click the 3D paint tool

3) Get a warning and texture menu

4) Open the color channel menu on right and click the magic wand to start creating a new map

5) Choose the shading domains to be affected and base color (in this case, I chose just the face with a black background)

aa10 top menu has 3d paint tool.JPG
    1920 x 1024 - 161K
    aa11 select actor and click 3d paint tool get warning and texture menu appear on right.JPG
    1916 x 967 - 151K
    aa12 open color channel on right an click magic wand to create new map get warning.JPG
    1906 x 993 - 152K
    aa13 menu to choose shading domains and set base color I chose facee and set base to black.JPG
    1914 x 932 - 161K
    edited September 2017

6) Prompted for file name and location to save new map

7) Choose file format options

8) Make sure the paintbrush is active on right where want to paint - and can create new layers on upper right

9) So I right clicked and created a new layer above the background and painted there

10) Use the tool tab to adjust color and properties of paintbrush.  Can use the stamp tool to place a logo or a tattoo

aa14 prompted for file name and location cose face g8m test mask.JPG
    1911 x 925 - 157K
    aa15 menu for tiff options chose ibm pc and uncompressed.JPG
    1920 x 938 - 149K
    aa16 see color menu change and face color change make sure paintbrush active where want to paint.JPG
    1920 x 929 - 148K
    aa17 right click color box and choose add layer above.JPG
    1911 x 950 - 151K
    aa18 click tool tab to adjust paint color and brush properties.JPG
    1918 x 964 - 158K

11) I painted some stripes, mostly green, red, and yellow

12) Right click on map in upper right to save as psd file

13) Use Photoshop, GIMP, or whatever to make any other changes and integrate with face.

14)  In Studio, use the surfaces pane to load new face map

It worked with the morph!

aa23 paint airbrush green orange and yellow.JPG
    1920 x 907 - 151K
    aa24 right click and save as psd file color.JPG
    1912 x 915 - 156K
    Face G8M FlowerHead Diffuse 1.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 283K
    aa40 load painted map.JPG
    1902 x 995 - 244K
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Very creative, Diomede!