The Out Of Work & Burnin’ Down The House Complaint Thread.

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited December 1969

Complaints: it's Monday. :blank:

Stomach unhappy with me, head unhappy with me, me unhappy with me - went out for wings and beer and overdid on both. :red: :red: :red:

Definitely not wanting spicy chicken wings for a while... :red: :red:

...they never agree with me. That's why I wimp out and go fore the teryaki or BBQ ones.

Yep Monday, best day to go to the Washateria to do the laundry.

All that cawfeeee I had kept me up late, late, late.

Gonna head into town tomorrow morning to open my UC claim and get my tax schedules then file them in the afternoon.

Did a silly thing and bought several of Howie Farkes' scene bundles last night while they were on sale. Will make great settings for my story, particularly the lake and Hedge Maze. Of course this means firing up Carrara8Pro, but now I have the power to support it. Gonna be interesting seeing 8 render tiles marching across the screen as all 8 processor threads are fully dedicated to CG work.

• WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Stomach unhappy with me, head unhappy with me, me unhappy with me - went out for wings and beer and overdid on both. :red: :red: :red:

...they never agree with me. That's why I wimp out and go fore the teryaki or BBQ ones.

Gonna head into town tomorrow morning to open my UC claim and get my tax schedules then file them in the afternoon.

Did a silly thing and bought several of Howie Farkes' scene bundles last night while they were on sale. Will make great settings for my story, particularly the lake and Hedge Maze. Of course this means firing up Carrara8Pro, but now I have the power to support it. Gonna be interesting seeing 8 render tiles marching across the screen as all 8 processor threads are fully dedicated to CG work.

I might end up cutting WAY back on the real spicy stuff, given how things are reacting. Thankfully I like the teriyaki and BBQ winds or I'd be really upset.

Sounds like a busy day in store for you. Bit new toys, whee! With a kick butt computer you should have some serious fun. :) :)

edited March 2013

....the "semi retired" life still feels a bit odd. Feel like I'm playing hooky today.

Woke up at 06:30 and there was that momentary angst I was running late. Then I realised why I didn't hear the alarm, I didn't set it. Went back to sleep and woke up later, then just laid back enjoying the fact I didn't have to haul my achy bones out into the cold damp morning to wait for buses that never show up on time. Hmmm....85° there, sounds nice and toasty. If I had a couple extra grand in the bank, I'd consider moving to slightly warmer climes and awesome BBQ.

Sunny here but chilly as a cold front went through Saturday night

Heading off soon to do the laundry (have to accomplish something productive today). Then back home for dinner and resuming the March Install Madness.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ....the "semi retired" life still feels a bit odd. Feel like I'm playing hooky today.

Woke up at 06:30 and there was that momentary angst I was running late. Then I realised why I didn't hear the alarm, I didn't set it. Went back to sleep and woke up later, then just laid back enjoying the fact I didn't have to haul my achy bones out into the cold damp morning to wait for buses that never show up on time. Hmmm....85° there, sounds nice and toasty. If I had a couple extra grand in the bank, I'd consider moving to slightly warmer climes and awesome BBQ.

Sunny here but chilly as a cold front went through Saturday night

Heading off soon to do the laundry (have to accomplish something productive today). Then back home for dinner and resuming the March Install Madness.

Been "semi retired" since mid december.. and it still feels weird

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

M$ and their Sneaky Complaint: When the heck did M$ start adding separate Update settings to files the Base Updates install? I was wondering how I was getting hit with Auto updates when I was set to Let me Install. Well they started adding Settings to Parts of the Updates. Some of them now need to be set to the Same settings as the Normal Updater. Silverlight just cost me a Hours long render last night.

Welcome to the world of everything is a separate App now. Thank you M$. I was not going Win8 just to avoid this.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

I love spicy! Every time I eat at the Pub 99 (which isn't that often) I always get an order of the boneless buffalo wings...theirs are the best!

8 threads...how many cores? Do you have an i7?

Dana

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

Morning. Cooler today under a cloudless big blue sky that seems to go forever :)

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    M$ and their Sneaky Complaint: When the heck did M$ start adding separate Update settings to files the Base Updates install? I was wondering how I was getting hit with Auto updates when I was set to Let me Install. Well they started adding Settings to Parts of the Updates. Some of them now need to be set to the Same settings as the Normal Updater. Silverlight just cost me a Hours long render last night.

Welcome to the world of everything is a separate App now. Thank you M$. I was not going Win8 just to avoid this.

i can't fathom what you're talking about here, but it sounds complaint worthy. :)

edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    doh, should never order pizza on an empty stomach. bakedziti pie with olives topping, should last a few days

cupcakes?

Ha ha! Buppy really likes sprinkles!

sprinkles are like sugar coated rainbows

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

I love spicy! Every time I eat at the Pub 99 (which isn't that often) I always get an order of the boneless buffalo wings...theirs are the best!

Dana

8 ?!

ocho?

infinity falling down sideways, or standing up rather?

edited December 1969

yep, it's snowing. juicy snowflakes.

this tree branch is gonna be a lot thinner by the time i start wrapping it into a cylinder.

yep, i'm doing it backwards. uvmapped it as a plane first, then start shaping the mesh.

wings-kerkythea.jpg
    569 x 533 - 114K
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 1969

it is raining and cold. I think my PlayStation 2 is so old that it is incompatible with dual layer DVD games. It plays DVD movies just fine. Maybe I should save money for a PlayStation 2 Slim console. At least I am able to play my other role playing games.

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Dana
    ..yup, even looks cool in Task Manager.

edited December 1969

Nice autumn day here, although our garden still thinks it is summer, there are flowers coming out everywhere after a couple of nights of rain :)

edited December 1969

86F here and getting hotter. Going to be a long, hot bus ride home. At least I'll be leaving later, I'm goiing to try to rearrange my schedule so I get more hours in (yep, my boss wants to pay me more! :lol:

Pizza sounds good.. maybe this weekend I'll go downtown for pizza and beer! :cheese:

Cooled down a little here after the hottest summer evah! :)

edited December 1969

it is raining and cold. I think my PlayStation 2 is so old that it is incompatible with dual layer DVD games. It plays DVD movies just fine. Maybe I should save money for a PlayStation 2 Slim console. At least I am able to play my other role playing games.

it comes in slim? :)

edited December 1969

it's a frikkin blizzard outside. again. wind howls included. echo echo kilo sierra

edited December 1969

...well, just had a visit from two of my former co-workers. Very nice to see them. They were surprised the company let me go after all the years I put in and didn't find a place for, me but we chocked it up to the cold harsh reality of business where "loyalty" has little meaning anymore. I assured them that was OK with the decision and am looking at it as an opportunity for something better rather than the end of the world.

As it ends up, I was not the only "casualty" as three other people from the production crew were given their walking papers on Friday, along with a couple front office staff today. Apparently, my assessment of the company's situation may have some substance. They mentioned it is extremely "dead" around the place and everyone who is left is now down to 32 hour weeks.

In the month beforehand, there were a number of "closed door" meetings with people from outside the company. I some ways I cannot help but feel that possibly some kind of deal occurred (which would make sense given the recent layoffs).

Again it's "biz", what can you do?

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    DanaTA said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Dana

I only have a Core2 Duo running Windows XP Pro SP3. Oh, well...someday...

Dana

edited December 1969

Itchy eyes from chlorine in the swimming pool is unpleasant *squints*

edited December 1969

it's a frikkin blizzard outside. again. wind howls included. echo echo kilo sierra
    w.png
    417 x 189 - 25K
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    DanaTA said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Dana

I only have a Core2 Duo running Windows XP Pro SP3. Oh, well...someday...

Dana
    ...I understand though at least you have XP Pro which allows for the "3GB switch" to get that extra 1GB freed for rendering.

Took me over four years to finally get here. Lots of scraping and saving, buying components when I could afford them, and learning how these things all go together.

Going to get a 32G USB drive tomorrow to make the transfer all my installers a lot faster. Only have an 8 (with under 6 GB free) which is resulting in a lot of back & forth.swapping. Have well over 200GB between Daz, Rendo and RDNA purchases (not including freebies).

edited December 1969

Can you still use the USB thumb drives or memory cards (like SD, etc.) as extra RAM for the computer? I remember reading that about Windows Vista. I thought it was kind of a cool idea, especially for extra memory when doing big renders.

Yes, I have 4Gigs of RAM. If I had a 64 bit OS, I'd get more, but no sense in that right now. And it's only PC800, not PC1600, which my motherboard can take. Even that would probably speed things up a bit. Oh, well.

Dana

edited December 1969

...not sure if Studio supports a "swap drive". I know Carrara does. Also again to use a Swap drive you need XP Pro, My old system only has XP Media Edition (which is basically XP Home with a few extras for media apps like Windows Media Player) so it does not support swap drives at all.

My notebook has 4G of DDR2 PC 667 in Dual channel mode so it's even slower. In comparison my workstation is DDR3 PC 1333 configured in Tri Channel mode

Anyway while a swap drive will give you more memory "overhead" against crashes, it is even slower than your on board RAM because of the port speed.

As your XP Pro is 32 bit, the most memory it can support for any single application is 3G with the "3GB switch" (that needs to be set in your INI). Any additional memory whether on a card or USB stick will offer no additional benefit.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...not sure if Studio supports a "swap drive". I know Carrara does. Also again to use a Swap drive you need XP Pro, My old system only has XP Media Edition (which is basically XP Home with a few extras for media apps like Windows Media Player) so it does not support swap drives at all.

My notebook has 4G of DDR2 PC 667 in Dual channel mode so it's even slower. In comparison my workstation is DDR3 PC 1333 configured in Tri Channel mode

Anyway while a swap drive will give you more memory "overhead" against crashes, it is even slower than your on board RAM because of the port speed.

As your XP Pro is 32 bit, the most memory it can support for any single application is 3G with the "3GB switch" (that needs to be set in your INI). Any additional memory whether on a card or USB stick will offer no additional benefit.

I meant for the OS, not for DS or other appliations. And I never thought of it for XP, I know the limit is 3Gigs. I thought that having the extra RAM, even if it is external, would be better than not having it. And better than virtual memory on a hard drive. Surely USB3 is faster than that. And some of the newer SD memory cards are high capacity and high speed. I was only curious, as I have no money for upgrading to Windows 7 anyway.

Carrara Pro 7 at least can also use multiple PCs as a render farm. I forget how many it can be without getting an add-on (I think it's called The Grid). My desktop computer is the fastest in the house anyway, including a gigabit ethernet. But of course, I've never done anything with Carrara yet.

Dana

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    I do not think anyone in my home knows my favorite show. I asked if the TV has BBCA but they did not know what it was. House lady just knew it was not one of the channels that we get.

I guess your favourite show is Dr Who :)

Wow you did a great guess. Amazing!

:lol:

edited December 1969

There are car alarms wailing like hungry beasts somewhere close eta rats it stopped just as my finger hit the record icon :)

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

I meant for the OS, not for DS or other appliations. And I never thought of it for XP, I know the limit is 3Gigs. I thought that having the extra RAM, even if it is external, would be better than not having it. And better than virtual memory on a hard drive. Surely USB3 is faster than that. And some of the newer SD memory cards are high capacity and high speed. I was only curious, as I have no money for upgrading to Windows 7 anyway.

Carrara Pro 7 at least can also use multiple PCs as a render farm. I forget how many it can be without getting an add-on (I think it's called The Grid). My desktop computer is the fastest in the house anyway, including a gigabit ethernet. But of course, I've never done anything with Carrara yet.

Dana

Did some of my best work on 32 bit platforms :)

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Dana

8 ?!

ocho?

infinity falling down sideways, or standing up rather?
    I has 8. LuxRender uses them all (or so it tells me).

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

9 hour 4.86 kS/p Luxrender drop

d31.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 80K
This discussion has been closed.