Post Your Renders - #4: A New Hope

Comments

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Koukotsu said:
    Great suggestion! That's an option that I always tend to forget for whatever reason, lol.

I gave it a try for round 2, and decorated the little makeshift planter in the background with some grass, a nice rock, and some fallen leaves. (...and it's starting to dawn on me that perhaps my tree is just a little too much for the setting, someone needs to fire the landscaper that decided to plant such an enormous tree there >:-( )

Pardon the pun, but the difference is almost night and day. This one definitely pops!

Personally, I think the tree is fine -- Dartanbeck might have a professional opinion though! %-P

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    Happy St. Patrick's Day to Ya

Thanks, bigh! Back at ya! I'd toast you with a bit of Jameson Irish Whiskey, but Gars Man and I drank it all yesterday!
  • edited December 1969

gaffer2 said:
    Well It's up on share cg now let me know if I screwed up as this is the first time for me

I think... something may have went wrong, lol.

Converting the primitives to vertex objects should fix it though.

House123.png
    720 x 540 - 221K
    edited December 1969

I'd toast you with a bit of Jameson Irish Whiskey, but Gars Man and I drank it all yesterday!

When it comes to Irish whisky, I'm impatient! :lol:

edited December 1969

Koukotsu said:
    PhilW said:
    Have you considered something like a back rim light (from maybe an open door nearby..)

Great suggestion! That's an option that I always tend to forget for whatever reason, lol.

I gave it a try for round 2, and decorated the little makeshift planter in the background with some grass, a nice rock, and some fallen leaves. (...and it's starting to dawn on me that perhaps my tree is just a little too much for the setting, someone needs to fire the landscaper that decided to plant such an enormous tree there >:-( )

The image is much brighter and a bit warmer overall this time around, but I think it still has a fairly night timey kind of look going on.

As a way of highlighting my Heroes within my animations, I save a special light rig with each character that I save to the browser - well, the main one's only. This almost always contains a back light set to at least 180 brightness. But in this case, I agree that your whole scene could have used a bit of brightening. Great job on that. I like the original, too. I would have highlighted the hero, like I've mentioned though. Except that in situations where they're in the dark like that, I'd turn that back light way down from it's default value.
    I even have a "Character Template" scene in my base My Objects folder that contains a generic version of my heroic light rig for when I need to make a new main figure. All of the lights in such a rig are set to only affect the specific group. The group is part of the "Character Template" scene file. So you load in the new character and drop it into the group, change the groups name to the character and it just works! Well, versions before 8.5, I believe, you have to manually change the name of what's affected in each light, but 8.5b does that part for you. Also, when I change the name of the target (that all the lights point to) to something unique, I only have to re-aim the modifier in one of the lights in 8.5b, and it corrects the rest on its own. Previous versions must be aimed for each light. Still a huge time saver and great "Heroic Lighting Solution" for speeding up animation scene setup times! ;)

• edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    Pardon the pun, but the difference is almost night and day. This one definitely pops!

Personally, I think the tree is fine -- Dartanbeck might have a professional opinion though! %-P

Thanks ;-)

I believe that particular tree is more appropriate for a distant background tree, but I've got a nice Cherry tree that should look good up close though.

I have this irresistible urge to string some colorful Christmas lights along that fence too for some reason, lol. A couple of fireflies floating about could be an interesting touch as well :coolsmirk:

edited December 1969

Koukotsu said:
    gaffer2 said:
    Well It's up on share cg now let me know if I screwed up as this is the first time for me

I think... something may have went wrong, lol.

Converting the primitives to vertex objects should fix it though.

Nice render there, koukotsu!
    Your skills are really developing nicely. The composition is tremendous! lol
    Sorry. It's just that I'm so used to seeing your posts as a glimpse into perfection. Then there's this? lol

edited December 1969

Koukotsu said:
    Garstor said:

Thanks ;-)

I believe that particular tree is more appropriate for a distant background tree, but I've got a nice Cherry tree that should look good up close though.

I have this irresistible urge to string some colorful Christmas lights along that fence too for some reason, lol. A couple of fireflies floating about could be an interesting touch as well :coolsmirk:Well now that you two have got me to stare at the tree, I have to say that I think it's fine - but could stand to use some bump (just a hint on such a young, smooth-barked tree) in the trunk/branch shader. Still, I like the tree better than the plants. But those elements are just what they are - scene fillers. I think that's where Joe gets upset at my "Awesome!" remarks. I tend to view renders as a single frame to an animation. In animations, the background is hardly noticeable unless the cameraman draws your eye to it - or unless you like to watch for bg elements and such. I tend to pay attention to what the director of the piece intends me to see. In this case, the surrounding scene certainly paints the overall mood of the scene - but still does a great job of pointing to her... the eye target. Unless that's just my appreciation towards the human female?
    Sorry. I find their form to be art in and of itself. Always have.

• edited December 1969

As a way of highlighting my Heroes within my animations, I save a special light rig with each character that I save to the browser - well, the main one's only.

I decided to use bulbs parented to cameras to make the positioning a bit easier, along with lighting restriction options to highlight V4 and V4 only, but I think I went a bit too broad with the yellow light coming from the left.

It's something I need to practice a bit more I believe, lol.

• edited December 1969

Well now that you two have got me to stare at the tree, I have to say that I think it's fine - but could stand to use some bump (just a hint on such a young, smooth-barked tree)

Yeah, it's a background tree that I snatched from a Howie Farkes scene, best viewed at a distance I do believe.

I do have a few fully modeled trees somewhere in my runtimes though, one of them may be a better option if the cherry tree doesn't work out too well, lol.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

Koukotsu - glad you found the suggestion useful, I think it really lifts the second image, without destroying the night time feel.

edited December 1969

Nice render there, koukotsu!
    Your skills are really developing nicely. The composition is tremendous! lol
    Sorry. It's just that I'm so used to seeing your posts as a glimpse into perfection. Then there's this? lol

Koukotsu, can I sell the tickets to the beatdown that Dart so richly deserves? :cheese:

edited December 1969

I think that's where Joe gets upset at my "Awesome!" remarks.

Aww man! This is like standing in front of mirror and chanting "Bloody Mary" three times... :lol:

• edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Koukotsu - glad you found the suggestion useful, I think it really lifts the second image, without destroying the night time feel.

Thanks again for suggesting it, I've been so absent minded lately that I occasionally forget my own name, lol :-)

edited March 2013

Koukotsu said:
    Well now that you two have got me to stare at the tree, I have to say that I think it's fine - but could stand to use some bump (just a hint on such a young, smooth-barked tree)

Yeah, it's a background tree that I snatched from a Howie Farkes scene, best viewed at a distance I do believe.

I do have a few fully modeled trees somewhere in my runtimes though, one of them may be a better option if the cherry tree doesn't work out too well, lol.You wouldn't believe how fun it can be working with the shaders on the Carrara trees. Terrains too, for that matter!

Thanks again for suggesting it, I've been so absent minded lately that I occasionally forget my own name, lol :-)I constantly forget how to spell your name! lol

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

I constantly forget how to spell your name! lol

But he never forgets his obsession with Mulberry renders (fruitophilia I think it is called...). :-)

edited December 1969

The spelling of the name is easy - Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V!

edited December 1969

PhilW said:

ROFL! Well played! ;-P

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    Happy St. Patrick's Day to Ya

Thanks, bigh! Back at ya! I'd toast you with a bit of Jameson Irish Whiskey, but Gars Man and I drank it all yesterday!

:lol:

edited March 2013

Here's a quick example of those light rigs. Genesis MS Lycan didn't have one so I lit him for what was going on.
    You can easily see how Rosie and Dart's lighting doesn't make realistic sense compared to the scene - but it does help them stand out.

ForceGrab-Lycan-in-WoodsGlow.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 171K
    edited December 1969

Here's a quick example of those light rigs. Genesis MS Lycan didn't have one so I lit him for what was going on.
    You can easily see how Rosie and Dart's lighting doesn't make realistic sense compared to the scene - but it does help them stand out.

SWEET! I didn't know Rosie could cast magic spells (besides the Enchantment she cast on you of course!). Yeah...I look at this and I think "Magic Missile to the spine!"

Very cool scene brah!

edited December 1969

See her right hand? This is a 'force choke'. Her magic gets more colorful - she was trying to avoid drawing attention. For Dart's protection, of course! lol
    Thanks Gars Man!

btw; Her Mother was half Dragon. She has access to all sorts of magic by simply imagining it to be so. Not studying, no memorization, none of that Wizardly stuff. Her mentor, a really cool monk, is another form of immortal. But we don't really know how yet - but he's no Dragon. (I know - but Rosie and Dart have no clue)

edited March 2013

PhilW said:
    Genius. True Genius!
    How's it going, Phil? Is it cold in England? We have it really cold here. Oh and, btw, your turn to post a render. :smirk:
    I'd hate to irritate bigh some more... but I have to say:
    I've had a bit of an e-mail conversation with Philip Staigerman, one of the developers of Project Dogwaffle, ever try that? Anyways, he used to work for Eovia back when Carrara was taken over by them. It's still his favorite 3d software to this day and he had it since version 2.
    Cool, huh!
    new_bgdcw.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 748K
  • MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited March 2013

gaffer2 said:

Gaffer2 - Whats your sharecg page :)

Thanks Dartenback, One can hope!

Post edited by Milo on
  • edited March 2013

Garstor said:
    But he never forgets his obsession with Mulberry renders (fruitophilia I think it is called...). :-)

That's understandable, lol

Here's an old one, I like the way the skin turned out, but that's about it :blank:

I can't quite put my finger on it but something seems kind of "off" about this one, the eyes maybe.

Oh, Milo, I believe this is what you're looking for: http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=undercover&PSID=0800170b077a74c1b54a37545177ce41

MulberryNormal1CroppedVersion1.png
    767 x 960 - 559K
    Post edited by K0daKumi_8e8836aac0 on
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Genius. True Genius!
    How's it going, Phil? Is it cold in England? We have it really cold here. Oh and, btw, your turn to post a render. :smirk:

Not saying it's cold here in the UK - but it just snowed again overnight! Thought we'd seen the last of it for this winter.

The only thing I've done in Carrara in the last couple of weeks is a simple Architectural Visualisation type project for a builder I know - not a glamorous project though, this was a basement conversion!

Basement3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 33K
    edited December 1969

Koukotsu said:
    Garstor said:

That's understandable, lol

Here's an old one, I like the way the skin turned out, but that's about it :blank:

I think I'm becoming a fruitophiliac myself... :zip:

edited December 1969

See her right hand? This is a 'force choke'. Her magic gets more colorful - she was trying to avoid drawing attention. For Dart's protection, of course! lol

So she's saying something like, "Put that away. I've got this one!" :-)

btw; Her Mother was half Dragon. She has access to all sorts of magic by simply imagining it to be so. Not studying, no memorization, none of that Wizardly stuff. Her mentor, a really cool monk, is another form of immortal. But we don't really know how yet - but he's no Dragon. (I know - but Rosie and Dart have no clue)

I loooove building up the back story to characters. Dang I miss gaming.

• gaffer2gaffer2 Posts: 67
    edited December 1969

Well I guess if I convert it to a obj it works but the textures are screwed up in poser I made the building with arch tools so the modeler doesn't want to give a convert option. I will keep working on it

edited December 1969

gaffer2 said:
    Well I guess if I convert it to a obj it works but the textures are screwed up in poser I made the building with arch tools so the modeler doesn't want to give a convert option. I will keep working on it

I think you can use the Convert to Vertex Modeller option under the edit menu?
This discussion has been closed.