Linwelly's Grove

Comments

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    edited August 2017

Thanks a lot @Worlds_Edge As you might have noticed I'm a bit of a posing freak, so yes I like taking care of small things like that

I keep moving for my story project, so here is another character concept. This guy is called Geren and is the brother of the main char and he wanted a portrait style, Iray and postwork

Character-concept_Geren.png
    1061 x 1500 - 3M
    Post edited by Linwelly on
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

He has a stubborn or determined look to him, so he probably all but "demanded" the portrait, lol  Looks good/interesting character.

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,072

Very interesting inded, well done with the character work and lighting

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

I so love your renders/stories Linwelly they have me sitting on the edge of my seat wondering what is comming next for your renders/stories!!!

edited August 2017

Thank you so much @Worlds_Edge @DarwinsMishap and @Saphirewild

I'm very glad that you would like to know more about the stories, I've been collection scifi stuff in all the sales now for some time ( now my funds are empty) and convert a lot of it to Iray. Here is one I made with good old level 19 which will be part of my worldbuilding as a repairshop. And another character of some importance for my story Master Xiu or ZhuXiu He is developed from Ivan with again a lot of changes. Iray and a bit of postwork.

Character_concept_ZhuXiu.png
    2000 x 1500 - 4M
    edited August 2017

I was trying around a lot for the rooftop area of the life sphere in my story and finally found a flower pot I could turn around and oversize. I made two surfaces, one inside and one outside so I could use a full glass shader on both and put an metal overlay on the outside to simulate a hex frame system to stabilise. The floor is a huge flat cylinder which is in plain iray basic shader for now.

I guess I'll be using the terrain from petipets dominator planet and I acutally used one of my own sky photosets as environment map in the rendersettings, I was surprised how well that worked for an overcast sky. there is one cut as I didn't make a 360° surround photo but its easy to move to a side where it won't be noticed.

now I need to put some stuff in it, plants and places to sit etc

roof-concept_inside.png
    1000 x 563 - 826K
    roof-concept_mirrorprobe.png
    1000 x 563 - 783K
    roof-concept_outside.png
    1000 x 563 - 594K
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Very cool Linwelly!  I am watching your world develop with interest.  I am working on a world too but keep getting side tracked lol. I really like Master Xiu his character looks very interesting.  And of course the demanding young man lol.  Wonder what kind of trouble he is going to get into.

Very cool Linwelly!  I am watching your world develop with interest.  I am working on a world too but keep getting side tracked lol. I really like Master Xiu his character looks very interesting.  And of course the demanding young man lol.  Wonder what kind of trouble he is going to get into.

Thanks a lot @IceDragonArt all this works building is taking quite a lot of time, and I seem to struggle sometimes with stupid details for too long. As I've never done any story telling, I'm a bit afraid that in the end the story is boring and lame... ( sitting in a mental corner biting nails)

I wonder what world you are buildng, after all you do have some experience with story telling so you're probably on a good track :)

Linwelly said:

Thanks a lot @IceDragonArt all this works building is taking quite a lot of time, and I seem to struggle sometimes with stupid details for too long. As I've never done any story telling, I'm a bit afraid that in the end the story is boring and lame... ( sitting in a mental corner biting nails)

I wonder what world you are buildng, after all you do have some experience with story telling so you're probably on a good track :)

The only experience I have in story telling is all the reading I have done all these years lol.  I have some pictures on my thread that tell a tiny bit about a couple of the chracters and the world, they are on my Deviant Art page as well, under The World of Pantasya. I totally struggle all the time, and its taking forever to put the characters, world rules, places etc together.  Especially since i have this intense need to do pictures with everything lol.

I always thought you were going for the Nanowrimo as well and things like that, so I had the impression you had gathered experience there. I have seen the renders in your worldbuilding, but I thought those were like images for a story you were writing. Seems I was wrong and we are stuggeling for the same things. I was afraid of getting lost in a huge setting, so I tried to reduce my setting at least for the start with the option to carry on if it works out but it could be finished after that first part as well.I find myself actually doing a lot of writing on the side for my project, putting down scraps an pieces as they come to my mind, sometimes I get dialogues together or the explicit idea for a page layout. Now I carry a little book around with me to put down ideas when I'm away from the computer and later transfer it to a document.

• deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227

Loving the sci fy renders, that dome is amazing, can't wait to see it with plants in it!

edited August 2017
    Linwelly said:

I always thought you were going for the Nanowrimo as well and things like that, so I had the impression you had gathered experience there. I have seen the renders in your worldbuilding, but I thought those were like images for a story you were writing. Seems I was wrong and we are stuggeling for the same things. I was afraid of getting lost in a huge setting, so I tried to reduce my setting at least for the start with the option to carry on if it works out but it could be finished after that first part as well.I find myself actually doing a lot of writing on the side for my project, putting down scraps an pieces as they come to my mind, sometimes I get dialogues together or the explicit idea for a page layout. Now I carry a little book around with me to put down ideas when I'm away from the computer and later transfer it to a document.

Try Evernote - its free and its a good place to put everything into one place, the pictures, the stories, the ideas, you can clip and copy and paste blog posts, picture ideas all kinds of stuff.  Super easy to use (If I can do it anyone can). Its been invaluable. You can put it on two devices at once for free, so I have it on my pc and on my phone so if I see something or thing of something I can just toss it into evernote right away and clean it up later.

And, I'm friends with people who do Nanowrimo, does that count?  Lol. I do get lots of good advice and help from various people though.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    Linwelly said:

I'm very glad that you would like to know more about the stories, I've been collection scifi stuff in all the sales now for some time ( now my funds are empty) and convert a lot of it to Iray. Here is one I made with good old level 19 which will be part of my worldbuilding as a repairshop. And another character of some importance for my story Master Xiu or ZhuXiu He is developed from Ivan with again a lot of changes. Iray and a bit of postwork.

This is fantastic!  

I love worldbuilding, but it is so easy to get stuck in worldbuilder's disease and never actually get to the story.  A lot of writers give themselves a time limit for world building.  I ended up spending a little over a year working on my worldbuilding for my science fiction novel.  I finally had to just start working on the story.  I have heard that their are writers who end up spending years worldbuilding and never get around to actually writing the story.

That was a really interesting approach to you creating your dome.  It looks good.

Love the life sphere!  Very creative problem solving skills there.  

Linwelly said:

Try Evernote - its free and its a good place to put everything into one place, the pictures, the stories, the ideas, you can clip and copy and paste blog posts, picture ideas all kinds of stuff.  Super easy to use (If I can do it anyone can). Its been invaluable. You can put it on two devices at once for free, so I have it on my pc and on my phone so if I see something or thing of something I can just toss it into evernote right away and clean it up later.

And, I'm friends with people who do Nanowrimo, does that count?  Lol. I do get lots of good advice and help from various people though.

I had evernote preinstalled on my phone, so I had a look at it but I think its just not my workflow ( besides typing or writing on my phone is a pain in the... for me) I guess its as well that I kind of have my creative stuff organized in a similar way I did with my resaerch ( when I was still working there which is ages ago) so its something not easily changed.

I guess having friends who are in some way creative as well helps no matter what. I have the impression I'm kind of the only one with the creative nerve on a far cry here ( so I'm so glad to have the internet for some exchange) The only other one with a creative gene is my niece who is 2hours drive away and.. well lives in the worls of 18 year olds (its a different universe I guess).

Loving the sci fy renders, that dome is amazing, can't wait to see it with plants in it!

I'm doing my best, but its a long process..., need some furniture as well.. and now there is the new guy in town I'll have to take a closer look at him ;)

Linwelly said:

This is fantastic!  

I love worldbuilding, but it is so easy to get stuck in worldbuilder's disease and never actually get to the story.  A lot of writers give themselves a time limit for world building.  I ended up spending a little over a year working on my worldbuilding for my science fiction novel.  I finally had to just start working on the story.  I have heard that their are writers who end up spending years worldbuilding and never get around to actually writing the story.

That was a really interesting approach to you creating your dome.  It looks good.

Thanks a lot Knitting, well the good thing is that with the worldbuilding in scenes in DS I already have the places created I want to use later in the renders, just need to get some sort of consistency into all that, and I'm not sure I got that really working by now. I need to go a bit by the sets that are available ( I already have or affordable). As I don't want to start creating every environment myself ( then I'll probabyl never finish) Even that way some I will have to put new shaders or even texture in some just need a useful conversion to Iray. That dome thing was giving me a hard time, I was looking through pages of scifi stuff on the shop but nothing equalled even far what I had imagined, then I started to try with primitive sphere but with the glass shader I wanted I got it all filled with glass or I had to use the thin wall thing which didnt give the impression of somthing stable and thick as would be needed with a size like that. so I scrolled through all my props looking for something I could use. And ended with a flowerpot LOL

edited August 2017

I managed to get one part of my huge rooftop area of the habitat filled with tables seats and plants ( and a kitchen, oh ;) so I need a bartender, I guess or what to call someone at such a place). The character is a quick mix with Leo morphs mostly, Ahmad skin and then some. I will have to make this in partitions as loading everything in one scene is just too much, even with using instances whereever possible.

This took me hours to complete... hope it pays in the end

Rooflounge_area_concept.png
    1200 x 675 - 1M
  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    Linwelly said:

I managed to get one part of my huge rooftop area of the habitat filled with tables seats and plants ( and a kitchen, oh ;) so I need a bartender, I guess or what to call someone at such a place). The character is a quick mix with Leo morphs mostly, Ahmad skin and then some. I will have to make this in partitions as loading everything in one scene is just too much, even with using instances whereever possible.

This took me hours to complete... hope it pays in the end

The flowerpot-turned-dome is just superb. There's even a certain symbolic meaning to it =)

The bartender guy looks much happier and relaxed than the characters posted previously! Guess his job is not as challenging as theirs?

I have heard that their are writers who end up spending years worldbuilding and never get around to actually writing the story.

:)

With enough luck, this can work as a career, too: think of all those tabletop RPG modules, CRPG settings and the like. There's a lot of pure worldbuilding content selling at DriveThruRPG, for instance.  

I have heard that their are writers who end up spending years worldbuilding and never get around to actually writing the story.

:)

With enough luck, this can work as a career, too: think of all those tabletop RPG modules, CRPG settings and the like. There's a lot of pure worldbuilding content selling at DriveThruRPG, for instance.  

I had no idea this was even a career.  Wow that sounds awesome lol.

Linwelly, I think all the work going into setting up a reusable set up is genius and I wish I had thought of it lol.  I am stealing your idea, maybe it will get my butt in gear.

edited August 2017

There are a lot of things I would never have known, We just had the Gamescom nearby in Cologne and it had started as some kind of geek event and now its a major industry, so there is a lot of worldbuiding going on but who know how to actually get into something like that.. I guess you need to be really good with CG in general, and there are still so many things to learn.

The flowerpot-turned-dome is just superb. There's even a certain symbolic meaning to it =)

The bartender guy looks much happier and relaxed than the characters posted previously! Guess his job is not as challenging as theirs?

I guess he actually is not bad off where he is, looking at the world I'm building here, he even might get an appearance later when I start really making the story.

In the meantime here are two more shots of my main character and my constucted lift with a lot of aggressive blue..

Taiduo_07-12_closeup.png
    1500 x 1200 - 3M
    Taiduo_07-12_lift_concept.png
    927 x 1500 - 3M

That looks really great.  Love the lift.  The emissive blue works perfectly.  Love seeing through the somewhat frosted glass.

That looks really great.  Love the lift.  The emissive blue works perfectly.  Love seeing through the somewhat frosted glass.

Thanky a lot! That frosted glass was the best discovery during this I still need to find some more uses for that. For the doors I cut out some polys and made them a new surface with the geometry editor

I had no idea this was even a career.  Wow that sounds awesome lol.

Linwelly, I think all the work going into setting up a reusable set up is genius and I wish I had thought of it lol.  I am stealing your idea, maybe it will get my butt in gear.

It's not really stealing my idea in the first place, I happened to witness how Chemicq over at dA estabilshed his world in "Building Auxillium". So i followed his footsteps there as that seemed to be a really usefull way to go

Linwelly said:

We just had the Gamescom nearby in Cologne and it had started as some kind of geek event and now its a major industry, so there is a lot of worldbuiding going on but who know how to actually get into something like that.. I guess you need to be really good with CG in general

Not necessarily if we're talking tabletop RPG. I see a lot of purely text resources selling, like "the people X of the country Z", and there they are described in words. Some will have illustrations, but not all. Then there are adventure settings that are a bit more involved because outside of just flavour text you need to design a quest etc, and yet it's not rocket science for those who are in the scene.

I don't know if the forum TOS allows linking to DriveThruRPG I mentioned earlier - since it's a store although probably not a direct competition, but I guess it should be easy enough to google it. It's a cottage industry similar to what we have here, and basically anyone can sell if they have something to sell. =)

And speaking of CRPG development, again, if you get into a studio, there will be dedicated writer positions. Supposing the studio's big enough, of course =)

Getting into any industry that does not require a licence is a matter of three things: skills, luck and perseverance. Not necessarily listed in the order of importance, hehe.

Linwelly said:

In the meantime here are two more shots of my main character and my constucted lift with a lot of aggressive blue..

Freckles =) Did you paint the texture yourself?

Linwelly said:

We just had the Gamescom nearby in Cologne and it had started as some kind of geek event and now its a major industry, so there is a lot of worldbuiding going on but who know how to actually get into something like that.. I guess you need to be really good with CG in general

Not necessarily if we're talking tabletop RPG. I see a lot of purely text resources selling, like "the people X of the country Z", and there they are described in words. Some will have illustrations, but not all. Then there are adventure settings that are a bit more involved because outside of just flavour text you need to design a quest etc, and yet it's not rocket science for those who are in the scene.

I don't know if the forum TOS allows linking to DriveThruRPG I mentioned earlier - since it's a store although probably not a direct competition, but I guess it should be easy enough to google it. It's a cottage industry similar to what we have here, and basically anyone can sell if they have something to sell. =)

And speaking of CRPG development, again, if you get into a studio, there will be dedicated writer positions. Supposing the studio's big enough, of course =)

Getting into any industry that does not require a licence is a matter of three things: skills, luck and perseverance. Not necessarily listed in the order of importance, hehe.

Linwelly said:

Freckles =) Did you paint the texture yourself?

So many ideas an possibilities and then sometimes not the energie or the courage to go that path...

Those freckels come with the skin builder 3. I took the P3DLuna skin to the skin builder and added the freckles, I have made frckels myself before used on king Aeric and the Brother of this girl

• deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227

Your main character is sooo cute! Love that render too, the blue lighting just pops!

• Linwelly said:

So many ideas an possibilities and then sometimes not the energie or the courage to go that path...

I can fully relate to a lack of energy being an obstacle in the way of any and all additional income, but why courage?

Linwelly said:

Those freckels come with the skin builder 3. I took the P3DLuna skin to the skin builder and added the freckles, I have made frckels myself before used on king Aeric and the Brother of this girl

Thanks for explaining! I noticed the change of style, but I thought you may have switched to a different photo reference.

Linwelly said:

I can fully relate to a lack of energy being an obstacle in the way of any and all additional income, but why courage?

Linwelly said:

Thanks for explaining! I noticed the change of style, but I thought you may have switched to a different photo reference.

You know, after all I guess I'm a bit of a wuss, probabyl I had too much of the rejection searching for a job after I had my children, so now I try not to lean to far out the window, but I know I should...

For my own freckles I had looked as lots of photos but made them completely myself using Gimp. I know there is a way to include own maps into the SB3 which I still want to learn ( didn't look at it yet) as I hope to make more own skin changes myself.