SereneNight's Sci-fi Fun

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Given how often people use search engines I think a data pimp who is essentially a living search engine who not only can search stuff up but offer discounts or guidance for various services  for a retainer fee would probably do pretty well. He is simply... Er... An IT professional of the future... Yes that's it....

edited August 2017

I figured out my issue. will repost shortly. You can see the earlier pic. if you click the link

panel-1.jpg
    2000 x 2286 - 4M
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136

The Data Pimp

"Hey buddeee you look a little down, why don't you let me help you out? I've got everything you want right here, I can absolutely find anything you need! You want girls, I got some, you want splicing, I got that too. You looking for info? I've got all the infobanks an query bots and live meat from around the globe and my own call center right chipped in, ask ME anything, and I can find you exactly what YOU Need!

You ain't seen nothin' yet, I promise you, and best of all, I'm thoroughly discreet! I won't sell any of your data to anyone until after you've popped. I guarantee it. What'll it be? Guys? Girls? Kosher food for the bar mitzvah? No, no don't tell me, my Psych program has analyzed you from top to bottom, and I can tell you're looking for someone......

Hmmm-Don't worry, my friend, I can find whoever you are looking for. There ain't no place anyone can hide I can't *SEE* I'm all chipped in. Discretion guaranteed. No info pimp, skimps,  Rooners, or Lay-Aways. I don't offer this deal to everyone, but I'm offering it to you because I like you MAN, I really do!

-Not interested? Not ready to tell me your secrets? My feelings are hurt, man!

Well, just to show there are no hard feelings, I'll drop this infobomb for free! I tell you it is your lucky DAY! My implant tells me You must be popular budddeee , you must be a celebrity, 'cause I *KNOW* someone is looking for you REAL BAD.

You make someone angry? You catch the attention of the wrong ICE Machine? Just counting the hits on YOUR ID makes my head swim it going  to get real bad for you real fast...

But, don't worry. I got it covered. Let me scrub all that for a small fee.... Believe me, buddddee it be worth it. I can make you disappear... BEFORE they do *Chuckle* if you know what I mean...."

I like it! Are you adding a new character to your ongoing stories? This is an interesting guy.

Thanks! yes, there is always room for more! =-)

edited August 2017

Here I redid this.

amped.jpg
    2000 x 2286 - 5M
  • DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,072

Love the data pimp- kinda looks like I guy I knew...a few, actually. lol

The paneled piece is very nicely done, Serene.  Gorgeously lit as well.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Ah, finally caught up in here!  You always do such interesting renders.  I loved the tear tutorial and I'm definitely going to have to give that a try.  I love the panel image above. Super nice job on that!  :)

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

Great job on data pimp - I love the blurb that went with him, very in character stuff :)

I like the panel art as well.  I might have taken the 'lazy way out' where the third panel would have consisted of merely a close up on the first panel, but now I see how much more value/interest it adds to do the close up from a slightly different angle, and expression/eye pose.  I'll keep that in mind as a lesson learned.  Thanks for the tip whether intended or not!

Hah hah! Good catch. Yes, I did Boyd from several angles and wanted to show more impact int the last frame so substituted a different render. I think sequential art is the way to go, and just watched an interesting tutorial on how to do frames in photoshop so I think there will be more to come.

edited August 2017

You can achieve different looks by applying a color filter to your panels. I used a skin brush with textures to try to give Boyd's face a bit of texture. I've been having trouble with the hair caps in certain lighting.

These are the same image- but with a single color added. I think you can get an interesting look to your comic going monochrome.

black-and-white.jpg
    2000 x 2286 - 3M
    dark.jpg
    2000 x 2286 - 3M
    cyan.jpg
    2000 x 2286 - 4M
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

I always tend to prefer the sepia ones (the last one.) Just love that color for some reason.

I forgot how much you liked Sepia toned things! =-) But now I remember.

edited August 2017

The clipping mask tool in photoshop allows you to create your own collage and punch out images you input into a layer, to make your own sequential art. It takes a while to get the hang of the shapes. It is far easier to use squares... but once you are done you can save and have a template to re-use again and again. I have just plugged some existing pics into the tool to see how it positioned. As soon as I make something good I'll make it a freebie template for you to enjoy. Can't promise miracles, but it is fun to mess around with. =-)

Unfortunately the lack of day to day items, might make doing something really illustrative rather hard.

It would be tough to illustrate a character getting dressed and going to work for example, without a ton of props, clothing that is removable, etc. But I may try storyboarding something at some point.

angular01.jpg
    1792 x 2752 - 5M
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
    edited August 2017

You always do such amazingly detailed renders Serene!!!!

I so love Boyd and Owen they are such versitile charactors!!!

Post edited by Saphirewild on

Thanks for your kind words!  I do admit to being fond of the Boyd and Owen. wink I hope Genesis 8 male will provide some goodies to help tell their story better!

• deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227

Super interesting. I never thought of using a clipping mask to do collages like this. I would use a white background and black "shapes" and make templates then flatten and save those templates. When I used one I would open the image I wanted in one of the shapes and copy it. Then I would use the magic wand to select the shape I wanted to place it into on the template, then use Ctrl, alt, shift V - this places the image you just copied into the shape that was selected and auto creates a mask so the image is the same as the shape. Unlocking the  mask lets you do what ever you want with the image without loosing the shape. Of course I probably learned to do these before clipping masks were added to photoshop. lol & I did thousands of them, all those graduation cards, story boards, & Christmas cards that go with being a portrait photographer, it sort of became an ingrained habit. I use clipping masks all the time now, but If someone asked me to make them a template I still would have gone back done it the other way, never even thinking about clipping masks! lol

edited August 2017

Thanks DeathbyCanon:

I am a big fan of the clipping mask method- plus you can re-size the panels. You can change the fill to however you want. I spent some downtime at work, making quite a few. I started off less adventurous, but then started getting creative with the pen tool to make more sequential scenes.

If anyone wants some templates I've made to play with let me know. Just PM me your email address. All my free stuff is free for commercial use. So enjoy.

Warning- files are kind of large so you'll be sent a link to a google dropbox where they are stored

The chihuahua is just an image I used to show where the picture is supposed to be. Obviously the Chi needs to be replaced with your own pic.

template2.JPG
    855 x 973 - 108K
    template.JPG
    555 x 848 - 72K
    edited August 2017

Boyd gives the cyber stealth bodysuit a nice workout here.

stealth.jpg
    2100 x 3300 - 4M
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

Great renders.  Love the setting you chose for the action. Nice work with the paneling.  Comic Life is a great little program that does paneling like that (and in lots of other styles) very quickly and easily.  Since you are good at generating them yourself on photoshop, you may not be interested.  But if you plan to do pages and pages of panels for a story, you might want to take a look.  

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

I do like the comic book lay out of your renders.

Thanks Worls'_Edge. I don't have that program but that seems fun.

@Nonesuch00  I admit to being a comic-book geek, so I have wanted to try doing some sequential art. I don't know if I will have the time to do books but I ceratinly enjoy making a few pages or two!

edited August 2017

Psi-Dog rendered in iray. Psi-dog is an old Rendo product but I like him. He's got a cute face... And I'm a sucker for all things canine. He also has a rocket launcher attachment which for some reason I never used. I have used him before... In an early image of Boyd.

And great news! Finally did something with the stag beetle.

Not sure why that one tube on the tank rendered so white. I went back in to see if I could make it an emissive but it is part of a big set. So I  went into photoshop and tweaked it to become a light by making it glow. If I really cared, I'd make it a mat zone, but eh....

cydog-1.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M

I guess now I will have to load up the rocket launcher. I'm curious what I can do with that....

The collages look good, and of course I adore the Psi Dog. Iray really jazzes him up!

edited August 2017

I wanted to try a seasonal picture and since Fall weather is already here where I live.... I discovered how much I liked the Snuggle Up knits Iray Shaders. Now I just wish I had some more! Holiday ones would be great, as well as a light oatmeal colored shader.

PSL.jpg
    2000 x 2286 - 4M

Yep, I love those shaders!  Love the detail on the spilling drink too, and the hay looks realistic. Fall weather? It was 107 heat index here in Pensacola today. :(   

I like the hair on both the guys too.

Yes, it is a nice fall image. smiley

One thing bugs me, though. The knit direction on the arms of the orange striped sweater should be going the other direction.

edited August 2017

Owen loves pumpkin spice flavored coffee which is his his one indulgence. Boyd shamelessly exploits this weakness on number of occasions. He is certainly going to owe him another!

Yeah I could've rerendered it with the horizontal stripes just on the arms now that I think about it. My first render had it straight pumpkin orange and it was a touch boring so I went with stripes. Since the arms aren't a different zone they go the weird ways. Apparently Boyd got a reject sweater!

Yeah I live in a pacific  coast town which lacks sun and it is already kind of fall weather here. Oddly fall is usually when we get some warm sunny days. The stores are already selling Halloween candy!

yeah I do like Boyd's new hair. It looks and fits better especially around the neck and has a masculine hairline. I liked the longer bangs on the previous one but this has more of a military look. It is by redz at rendo. She recently made a fit for Genesis 8 female too so I like the fact the fits are being updated

It is frustrating when models don't have the necessary surface zones to apply shaders easily. Which Redz hair did you use? It does look very nice. I was happy to see Redz in the Daz Store with the new UV product. I hope more products will be released in the Daz Store.

It is Short Cropped Hair for Genesis 3 Male and Females. Great product lots of styles and a realistic male hairline not designed for women! It doesn't  have the hair plug issue of current fibermesh hairs sold in the daz store nor the thin receding hairline or those unfortunately really big weird hairs that look like they belong on Jeff goldblum when he was morphing into the fly. :-)

This discussion has been closed.