SereneNight's Sci-fi Fun

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,151

It is Short Cropped Hair for Genesis 3 Male and Females. Great product lots of styles and a realistic male hairline not designed for women! It doesn't  have the hair plug issue of current fibermesh hairs sold in the daz store nor the thin receding hairline or those unfortunately really big weird hairs that look like they belong on Jeff goldblum when he was morphing into the fly. :-)

Thanks, I have that one, too. I think I bought it on your recommendation. yes I've never rendered it from the back, I guess. It looks good.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I recolor both the guys hair with the oot shaders from rendo so it isn't default out of the box. Boyd's hair is kind of a redder shade of blond  and that color wasnt available in redz palette choices. The hairs recolor really well I thought and yeah the way the hair looks from the back really looks good. She needs to make a scalp product that you can layer other hairs over. She does scalps better than most people.

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,775

I think I need a refresher on which hairs can be used on which figures ... and in which programs. Been looking at some really nice ones but they're all for G3 with no mention of G2 or earlier fits and I don't know how badly autofit would mangle them. Plus there's the whole "can I sledgehammer that into Poser" issue and before I know it the sales have passed me by. 

Also I am getting a bit of weirdness on G2M's eyes while using M4 textures on him. Everything else (other than his hair) is fine, but I really don't think his eyes should have that extra ring. frown

Well if I have a lot of the men's hair so if you have one  you want to see I can try autifit on gen 2. 

Regarding the eye ring issue there is a fix. I haven't used gen 2 for a while but when I had the issue there is an eye morph to move either the cornea or the iris back. I think that removes the texture ring. Try looking at your eye shapes and see if adjusting the cornea or iris removes the texture issue.

Not sure about poser at all I'm afraid.

Thanks, I'll try moving eye parts & see what happens. That may have been how I did it before, have not used Genesis of any kind in a long while, now I am rebuilding some of my most used M4 characters for the G2 males. Sometimes the translation is accurate, other times not so much. One of the styles I am considering for Jake is this: https://www.daz3d.com/simple-short-haircut-for-genesis-3-male-s. Right now it's the closest I can find that doesn't use a geoshell, which I absolutely know does not work in Poser no matter how much hammering I do on it. 

edited August 2017

Ah! My favorite fibermesh hair sold at DAZ. That hairstyle is a good value. You get 3 looks which I like. I use #2 one for Owen and haven't found a better crew cut style hair yet.

The hair does autofit pretty well to genesi 2 basic male.  There are some areas of the scalp where there can be pokethrough even on Genesis 3 male. You can find the headbone and expand it. Or keep a men's stubble brush ready and just touch it up a few strokes in photoshop. The shorter hair looks best to me, I'm not a fan of big huge hairs which can be kind of obvious on the longer and darker hairs, especially where they skewer the forehead to make the fiber-mesh fly-look.

First image is the Number 2. No adjustments- Great looking! (and I use it enough so I should know)

The second image, Number 3 I  had to go the head bone and expand the hair to 101.3 percent.

Final image is style number 1. The fibers are too big, and impale the forehad. Tweaks could be made, but this is the style I like the least.

The materials aren't iray native. They look like 3delight materials. but they can be recolored.

All autofit done on basic male.

basichair.png
    2000 x 2286 - 6M
    basichair expanded 101-3 percent.png
    2000 x 2286 - 6M
    3.png
    2000 x 2286 - 6M
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

I just love the coffee render of Boyd and Owen!!!

Thanks for the moving-the-pupils tip, once I found it in the morphs I'd GenXed into him (it was an old Genesis 1 freebie fix) I dialled it in and voila! No more rings. I am also considering the Cody hair which is in my cart and does fit G2M but not sure if it has a "closer shaved" look, there don't seem to be anything to suggest it in the promo pics. Originally I used Sav Alpha hair on him in his M4 incarnation but it is a right pain dealing with the weird halo-y thing that does not go away even though it autofits nicely to G2.

Simple Cut looks very nice, I might take the plunge when it goes on sale again. 

I  dont have Cody hair. Although the flat  top look is much needed for military guys  the promo art shows the hair going right through the poor man's ears in several pics. It made me concerned and the spikey grass look at the widows peak is the look I like the least with fibermesh so I passed. Let me know if you buy it how u like it.

Glad the pupil move worked. I knew it was an morphing dial to fix that!

Oh in answer to the realistic hay bales comment from Novica it came with this set https://www.daz3d.com/backwoods-shooting-range.   There are a really nice number of good props in the set and I must've passed over it because I didn't really need a erm backwoods shooting range But! Check,out,the props and trees and other goodies in there.... it was on sale recently and I had to have it.

I just love the coffee render of Boyd and Owen!!!

Thank you! It was fun to do and Owen does like his PSL. :-)

edited August 2017

It's Aava Alien Species for Genesis 3 Female. she is wearing Mechanya for Genesis 3 Female- Sold elsewhere

alienwoman.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 2M

Interesting. I like the colors and lighting -- nice eye glow there too. Would have bought if I could use her on G2, maybe I will whenever I get my hands on the right GenX plugin. I could really use more aliens, though preferably with a no-boobs option because not every female E.T. is necessarily mammalian. That one looks like a femme fatale of her species, is she going to get our guys in Big Trouble? I think she probably could without even trying very hard; they'd probably want to help her out of a jam only to fall into a bigger one themselves. The kind of dame that ain't ain't there for their health, in other words.

Bought the Cody hair. Big disappointment. Poser tries to load it then asks for a .pmd file which no amount of searching will find, locks up and finally crashes. Now I have fibermesh hair and I know it can take awhile to load & render depending on your system but none of it does that. 32 gigs of RAM so that can't be causing it or I'd also have trouble using it in Daz Studio. It will load up no problem in Studio and the first thing I notice is that there are no morphs. The style you see is the one you get, other than the 6 included colors you can't change it. Think maybe I'll return it, though I'll probably lose the portion of my PC coupon that helped pay for it. :sigh:

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

That is very strange and wonderful LOL

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Love the color choices and clothing choices for the female alien.  Very very cool!

@Byrdie I  think the challenge with the alien figure is that her scalp is not a morph but a attachment. I also felt her skin was a bit plain. I wanted to recolor her a more daring shade, but grew too tired to make shader for the scalp and spine and just settled for more interesting lighting. It would be interesting to make a male. Probably doable too. I would be tempted to try yellow. The head just lends itself to the whole Chiquita Banana look.

I agree that aliens should not always be humanoid or mamillian, but I do admit to a certain fondness for the star trek style aliens which are essentially hot humans (more often females). I try to mix that up and make both genders hot though. Can't stand the Bizarre Sexual Dimorphism trope.

The aliens in my story are mostly into conquest and probably conform to your vision. They attack with superior forces unprovoked. Their motives are unclear.

Thus ensues the long war in which Owen is drafted at 17, and Boyd sometime later. The aliens who attack aren't the real enemy but the ground forces. They discover earth is rather difficult to conquer and they are less numerous than humans so they attempt different strategies over the years to get what they want. They tend to hire out the combat labor, and one of  the female species specializes in seducing Men and women and do so shamelessly. Some aliens infiltrate the government, others seek to modify the human genetic code to be more obedient and compliant. Humans have the advantage of being rather aggressive, territorial and quite stubborn.

Owen does at one time head a task force to take out a couple of alien women. Their pheromone attack make them irresistible to people who are attracted to the opposite sex (or same sex).. They are called Sirens, and they look various ways but are always completely irresistable.

Sorry to hear about the Cody hair. That is disappointing. Ugh, I hate it when something crashes unexpectedly. I hate that when I use a coupon on something I have to return later!  Ugh, lets hope REDZ makes a nice flat-top style soon. Have you tried Rendo? There are a couple M4 characters with hair that I've sort of eyed.

edited August 2017

That is very strange and wonderful LOL

Thanks! The mechana outfit adds a lot of length to the leg- about several feet, so it is important compositionally to draw the legs close to the body or you get a long thin character who is visually challenging to pose and view.

Love the color choices and clothing choices for the female alien.  Very very cool!

I enjoy colorful stuff, but finding clothing suitable for aliens is a bit hard. Fortunately, I have some sci-fi shaders, and metallic shaders to dress up that plain corset, and the white metal cybernetic legs.

edited August 2017

I've been working to recreate Boyd for this gen 8. The problem I have is with the head. While this is close, It's not quite  right, and Michael 8 adds a horsey  bigger and longer face than I would prefer. Here's a tip, you can expand and show hidden parameters on the male heads and x-scale and y-scale them, if you don't like the Bert look. Also I really can't wait for more versatile eyebrows. Unless you want big thick brows, you're stuck with the ones that come with Michael 8.

beachbum.jpg
    1600 x 1400 - 1M
    edited August 2017

Here Boyd is sitting there without fibermesh brows. I don't like those underwear at all from this angle. I didn't doctor these in photoshop. They are just testers.

From this angle the jaw looks odd. And what was weird is these shorts looked really funky in the front. I dialed up the bulge which for some reason I could not see any result at all. Then I turned the character and the bulge was visible... Just oddly not very from the front.

boyd-7.png
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
    boyd-19.png
    1400 x 1600 - 2M
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

I like the character, and your water looks really good!  That is funky about the swimsuit! 

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

I think you have Boyd pretty close to the original, except his skin color might not be exactly the same.

Bert as in Ernie & Bert?  LMAO, I love it.  Thanks for the tip on head scaling.  I had a lot of stuff to be downloaded in DIM and so I am still waiting for my Michael 8 etc to download.  But having a blast seeing other peoples' renders.  

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    barbult said:

Yes, it is a nice fall image. smiley

One thing bugs me, though. The knit direction on the arms of the orange striped sweater should be going the other direction.

Yep, that bothers, too.  I actually thought it would be easy to just go in and rotate all of the maps, but it doesn't work like that.  I would love to find a solution to this because rarely are the sleeves knitted in that direction.

Boyd is looking pretty good.  I haven't played with any of the clothes yet.  I'll have to keep that in mind about the swimsuit.  It does look strange.

Thanks folks! I admit I'm finding it hard to make decent heads for the men. I think I hate Michael 8's head. Its worse than M6's weird thin head. Plus there is something wonky about the mouth.

edited August 2017

Owen and Boyd repaint the dining room. And yes, it looks like Boyd shaved off his goatee.

painterly.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
  • I just love the expression on Boyd's face, you can tell he's thinking something naughty!

Oh yes, he's definitely up to no good. With or without the paint brush. Nice shirt, btw. smiley

Hah, yes Boyd is clearly sneaking a peek. I guess having a body at last, means Boyd is at the mercy of all his hormones... =-)

surprise He didn't have a body before? What did I miss?

edited August 2017
    Byrdie said:

Boyd was born human to fairly wealthy parents. They could afford to genetically engineer a 'perfect' child. Boyd is a genius and has several degrees. His older brothers and younder siblings are also quite gifted. Things were going well for Boyd until he turned 7. This is about time the Aliens began releasing genetic bugs... Boyd fell deathly ill with some sort of disease that attacked his nervous system. He was in incredible pain and unable to get better so his parents, decided to body liberate him, which happens to some people- the brain is tanked and used as sort of a human computer. Unfortunately, this also happens a lot in third world countries where brains are sometimes enslaved. Anyway...

From that Age, until about his mid to late 20's Boyd is a brain in a Robotic shell or sometimes floating in a tank.  Boyd make a small fortune using his programing skills with and training with  robots, which he has an affinity for. But although initially happy he is not satisfied being a tanked brain. He wants to be human again. But then the war starts, and bodies are reserved for soldiers and those injured who need the transfer, he is able to sublimate this desire for a while.

Body swapping is common in the future. In fact, the VA cuts costs by giving every veteran after 25 years of service, a brand new body, thus cutting back on extended medical care. The ethical issue of cloning is removed, because the bodies are cloned without brains.  You can order any kind of body you want. When it is grown, the brain is moved from one body to another. But the challenge is, inhabiting a new body will earn you a visit from the military recruiter almost immediatly. Transferred persons make prime recruit material.

At any rate, Boyd decides he can no longer be on the sidelines, dispute his programming skills and joins a unit which is all bodiless individuals. He meets Owen when they are assigned to be partners.

They have lots of adventures and they become best friends. Boyd has a fun sense of humor, and is smart and educated. Owen is smart but has only a high school diploma due to being recruited young. He is physically fit, with a dark sense of humor, and is openly gay and has a kind streak. Both are kind of lonely, as Boyd's bodyless nature makes him unable to form lasting attachments, as does Owen's tiring job.

At any rate, a long series of events occurs during which they fall in love and Boyd gets his body- however it is not the one he ordered. That one is commandeered by a wealthy US Senator. This body was a special order, whose intended recipient died.

Not having a body for so long gives Boyd somewhat a quirky perspective on life. It also is an eye opener as he is treated far different now than before.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,151
    Byrdie said:

Boyd was born human to fairly wealthy parents. They could afford to genetically engineer a 'perfect' child. Boyd is a genius and has several degrees. His older brothers and younder siblings are also quite gifted. Things were going well for Boyd until he turned 7. This is about time the Aliens began releasing genetic bugs... Boyd fell deathly ill with some sort of disease that attacked his nervous system. He was in incredible pain and unable to get better so his parents, decided to body liberate him, which happens to some people- the brain is tanked and used as sort of a human computer. Unfortunately, this also happens a lot in third world countries where brains are sometimes enslaved. Anyway...

From that Age, until about his mid to late 20's Boyd is a brain in a Robotic shell or sometimes floating in a tank.  Boyd make a small fortune using his programing skills with and training with  robots, which he has an affinity for. But although initially happy he is not satisfied being a tanked brain. He wants to be human again. But then the war starts, and bodies are reserved for soldiers and those injured who need the transfer, he is able to sublimate this desire for a while.

Body swapping is common in the future. In fact, the VA cuts costs by giving every veteran after 25 years of service, a brand new body, thus cutting back on extended medical care. The ethical issue of cloning is removed, because the bodies are cloned without brains.  You can order any kind of body you want. When it is grown, the brain is moved from one body to another. But the challenge is, inhabiting a new body will earn you a visit from the military recruiter almost immediatly. Transferred persons make prime recruit material.

At any rate, Boyd decides he can no longer be on the sidelines, dispute his programming skills and joins a unit which is all bodiless individuals. He meets Owen when they are assigned to be partners.

They have lots of adventures and they become best friends. Boyd has a fun sense of humor, and is smart and educated. Owen is smart but has only a high school diploma due to being recruited young. He is physically fit, with a dark sense of humor, and is openly gay and has a kind streak. Both are kind of lonely, as Boyd's bodyless nature makes him unable to form lasting attachments, as does Owen's tiring job.

At any rate, a long series of events occurs during which they fall in love and Boyd gets his body- however it is not the one he ordered. That one is commandeered by a wealthy US Senator. This body was a special order, whose intended recipient died.

Not having a body for so long gives Boyd somewhat a quirky perspective on life. It also is an eye opener as he is treated far different now than before.

Fascinating to hear all the details! I think I've only read pieces before. You have a great imagination. This is an intriguing story. Are you writing a book?

This discussion has been closed.