Legacy UVs for Genesis 8 [Commercial]

Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,131
edited November 2017 in Daz PA Commercial Products

Update: 27 October 2017

Released today: Legacy UVs for Genesis 8: Michael 4

https://www.daz3d.com/legacy-uvs-for-genesis-8-michael-4

Update: 8 September 2017

Released today: Legacy UVs for Genesis 8: Genesis 2 Male, Michael 5 and Michael 6

https://www.daz3d.com/legacy-uvs-for-genesis-8-genesis-2-male-michael-5-and-michael-6

Update: 21 July 2017

Released today: Legacy UVs for Genesis 8: Victoria 5 and Legacy UVs for Genesis 8: Victoria 6

https://www.daz3d.com/legacy-uvs-for-genesis-8-victoria-5

https://www.daz3d.com/legacy-uvs-for-genesis-8-victoria-6

Update: 14 July 2017

Released today: Legacy UVs for Genesis 8: Victoria 4

https://www.daz3d.com/legacy-uvs-for-genesis-8-victoria-4

Update: 8 July 2017

Released today: Legacy UVs for Genesis 8: Genesis 2 Female

https://www.daz3d.com/legacy-uvs-for-genesis-8-genesis-2-female

Original Post: 5 July 2017

Legacy UVs for Genesis 8: Genesis 2 Female and Legacy UVs for Genesis 8: Victoria 4 will be released shortly.

Because of the differences in the eye geometry on Genesis 8 I have added an additional attachment which attempts to replicate the eye geometry of earlier generations.  This eye attachment loads with the geografts, though is itself not a geograft, and comprises surfaces which will take the MATs from legacy cornea and sclera surfaces.  Full details are given in the PDF documentation.

Also, the geografts now load as one piece, not five, so that should make things simpler to manage.

This is a new thread for the Genesis 8 edition of the Legacy UVs.  It is for issues, suggestions and questions which may arise.

Post edited by Cayman Studios on

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116

58c806f8c43d5fb54ab75e1e13b033c6bfb84b4cf34541d6685584647057f9fd.jpg
    590 x 775 - 81K
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

What Vaskania said! Love your products and use them a lot. I'm lost without them in Genesis 8. Keep up the great work and take our money already! cheeky

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

excellent news!  very happy to hear that these will be coming out sooner rather than later....your products really are some of the core genesis toolbox essentials.  :)

any plans to release for something like Torso UVs for G3F AEs for G8F?

j

• Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,131
    edited July 2017

Thank you, people.

Jardine, I posted in the Freebies Forum: Torso UVs for G3F Anatomical Elements: Genesis 8 compatible

So all you need to do is change the "Genesis 3" folder to "Genesis 8".

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

cool!  thanks!

j

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,755

Thank you, people.

Jardine, I posted in the Freebies Forum: Torso UVs for G3F Anatomical Elements: Genesis 8 compatible

So all you need to do is change the "Genesis 3" folder to "Genesis 8".

Awesome!  I've picked up every Legacy set so far and as long as you keep making them, I'll keep buying them!  

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,748
    edited July 2017

Any chance of making Legacy UVs for Genesis 8: Victoria 4?

Or is it some way around it, to use your previous product for Victoria 4 to Genesis 3F

and then somehow apply it to G8F?

Post edited by Artini on
    Artini said:

Yes, it will be next.  Check out the opening post.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,748

Oh, thanks a lot, I have not spotted that message at once.

• AllegraAllegra Posts: 405
    Artini said:

Yes, it will be next.  Check out the opening post.

That's fantastic, looking forward to the release.

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,959

Helena for G2F by secondcircle. Came out very nice. I have all your sets, please make one for  V4 to G8 then my life will be complete.

Joy G8.png
    982 x 921 - 610K

Alliekatblue, like it.  As for V4 - see above!

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,959

Alliekatblue, like it.  As for V4 - see above!

Yippeeee

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629

Now a V4 UV graft for G8, that's going to get my money too. ;)

• Hello,

I'm not getting the results expected. This is Gen8 with Cassie Gen2 mats applied.

I don't know  what I could be doing wrong since the process has only 3 steps after loading Gen8

Any suggestions?

Michael Grant

Head UVs.JPG
    1004 x 741 - 58K
    Leg UVs.JPG
    1091 x 763 - 60K
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Hello,

I'm not getting the results expected. This is Gen8 with Cassie Gen2 mats applied.

I don't know  what I could be doing wrong since the process has only 3 steps after loading Gen8

Any suggestions?

Michael Grant

Select your figure in the Scene tab, then open the Surfaces->Editor. Select the figure in the editor. In the blank field above the parameters in the right column of the editor, type "UV" without the quotes.

You should see Genesis 2 Female listed there, I think. If it's not, try changing it...

• L'Adair

Thank-you for your reply.

I checked Surfaces and the character is using Gen2 UVs. I checked every surface and they all have the choice of Basic Female and Genesis 2 Female.

Basic of course produces a mess but Genesis 2 femail produces the results i posted.

Michael Grant

Surfaces.JPG
    495 x 1046 - 69K
  • I've tried a bunch of G2F materials and some work and some don't and i can't see what the difference is.

Some experimentation is in order.

Michael Grant

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Does Cassie use the G2F UV set?  I think Teen Josie uses V6 rather than G2F.

edited July 2017

Hello,

Any suggestions?

Michael Grant

Michael, Cassie uses the Victoria 5 UV Set.  If you load the MATs onto the original Genesis 2 you can see what the UVs are for each property in the Surfaces tab.  In fact some of the eye surfaces for Cassie are Genesis 2 Base Female UVs, but the differences are so slight as to make little practical difference.

I put a provisional list of V5 and V6 textures  in the "Legacy UVs for Genesis 3" thread.  If a figure is not listed there it is probably a Genesis 2 Base Female texture, unless it is one of the iconic figures, like Monique.

Legacy UVs for Genesis 8: Victoria 5 is currently in Testing, so hopefully should be available in a few weeks.  I have attached a picture of Cassie on Genesis 8 Female.

Cassie_V5_on_G8.jpg
    600 x 600 - 149K
  • SamWMSamWM Posts: 9

Is this likely to be updated for other Genesis 2 Daz characters? Doesn't seem to work with Aiko, Gia, Giselle, Monique etc. It is particularly bad with Monique. Is only Genesis 2 base supported? Even for Victoria 6, the eyes are a bit off. I have the IG Iray essentials for the various characters and they don't seem to work well either.

SamWM said:

Is this likely to be updated for other Genesis 2 Daz characters? Doesn't seem to work with Aiko, Gia, Giselle, Monique etc. It is particularly bad with Monique. Is only Genesis 2 base supported? Even for Victoria 6, the eyes are a bit off. I have the IG Iray essentials for the various characters and they don't seem to work well either.

Sam, this is for those textures which use the Genesis 2 Base Female UVs.  I have done sets for Victoria 5 and Victoria 6 which should be out in the next few weeks, but for other UVs you can use the Map Transfer tool to convert to the Base Female texture first.  There is a very useful tutorial by RobotHeadArt on how to do this:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/95701/tutorial-converting-custom-genesis-2-uvs-to-genesis-3

The IG Iray Essentials, for the most part use UVs other than the Base Female UVs, I believe.

Thanks. I'm getting closer after following the tutorial, but the eyes aren't right. Tried with Monique 6 HD. First image is converted to the Base Female, second is when I apply it to Genesis 8 with Legacy UV's applied.

MoniqueTest.jpg
    1080 x 1920 - 657K
    MoniqueTest2.jpg
    1080 x 1920 - 933K

There's definitely something not quite right about those irises.

Depending on the precise manner you appled the MATs, the Irises Size morph for G8F (Hidden > Legacy UVs) may or may not be applied, and the Cornea Size morph of the Geografts (Actor > Morphs) may or may not be applied.  Equally the Sclera surface for G8F may or may not be visible (Cutout Opacity = 1), and the Sclera Legacy surface on the Geografts may or may not be visible.

Briefly, I have set it so that if the MATs are Iray the Geograft Legacy attachment becomes invisible and the G8F Irises revert to normal size.  Otherwise the Irises are enlarged, G8F's sclera becomes invisible, and the Geograft Legacy attachment for the eyes comes into play.  It may be that sometimes for a better effect you need to apply the Iray shader after setting the UVs, but I don't think that applies here.

Try the Cornea Size and/or the Irises Size and/or the Sclera visibilty settings, and if there is no improvement perhaps you need to look at the way you baked the eyes again.

It's past midnight here, so I don't really have time to try this now, but I'll have a go tomorrow if you're still having problems.

• Thanks for the explanation.

I have a few V4 materials that i really want to use so I look forward to the V4 to G8 script when you release it.

5 generations on and some of the V4 textures are still the most visually pleasing. EmmaSSS especially.

Thanks for your work.

Michael Grant

When I baked the materials, I left the 'Bleed Factor' at 0.01 and 'Downsize to Cut Off' unchecked, would that have made any difference? They look like newer options than were available when the guide was written (a 4.9.4 feature maybe).

edited July 2017

Alright, I've baked the Monique 6 textures to Genesis 2 Female Base UVs.

As I mentioned in RobotHeadArt's thread, for Monique 6 it is only necessary to bake the Face, Torso and Limbs (Templates 1-3) textures, because for all the other textures, the eyes, lashes and inner mouth, the Monique 6 UVs are identical to the Base Female UVs.

So I got 12 new textures: Diffuse, Bump, Specular and Normal for each of the Face, Torso and Limbs surfaces.  I then changed the IG Iray MATs so that the Base Color, Glossy Layered Weight, Glossy Color, Base Bump, Normal Map and Top Coat Thin Film pointed to the new textures which I had put in a sub-folder of the Monique 6 textures.  I then selected all the surfaces and changed the UV Set to "Base Female".  Then I saved them as a new Material Preset which I put next to the original MAT with "(BASE UVs)" after the name.

I loaded Genesis 8 Female, ran the Preparation script, loaded the new Material Preset, then ran the "Apply Genesis 2 Female UVs" script.

The Script detects that the Shader is Iray, so it sets the Opacity of the Geograft Eye attachment ("Cornea Legacy" and "Sclera Legacy" surfaces) to zero, and resets the Iris to default size.  This is an Iray render of the result:

As a comparison, and because on occasions it may be preferable, I have also made an Iray render with the Eye attachment.  For this you need to hide the Sclera on G8F by setting the Cutout Opacity to zero, set the Legacy_UVs_Irises_Size morph to 1 (by running the "Legacy UVs Eyes Adjustment" Shape Preset in the Components sub-folder), then resetting the Cutout Opacity of the Cornea Legacy and Sclera Legacy surfaces on the attachment to 1:

Anyway, there it is.  I don't think the "Bleed Factor" or any other options in the Transfer dialog are likely to be the cause of your problem.  This can get a bit complicated, with layers of considerations, so it is quite easy to go astray and miss a step.

Give it another go, and see what happens.  Good luck!

Edit: For some reason I can't get the main images to link to full size images.  Click on the attachments to get a better view.

Monique_01b_G8F.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 104K
    Monique_02b_G8F_attachment.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 104K

Thanks, looking a lot better now. I've noticed G2F eyes seem to work quite well when applied to the eye surfaces exposed by Template 6 and 7 in G8F. Now for the rest, keep me busy for a few days. Am I right in assuming that the misalignment has a lot to do with the characters being of different proportions to the base G2F character? Giselle perhaps the most, as she looks like one of the shortest Daz figures.

MoniqueSkinG8.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 367K
    MoniqueSkinG8.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 324K
    edited July 2017
    SamWM said:

Thanks, looking a lot better now. I've noticed G2F eyes seem to work quite well when applied to the eye surfaces exposed by Template 6 and 7 in G8F. Now for the rest, keep me busy for a few days. Am I right in assuming that the misalignment has a lot to do with the characters being of different proportions to the base G2F character? Giselle perhaps the most, as she looks like one of the shortest Daz figures.

Looks OK!

As soon as you have different UVs you have misalignment - they are designed that way.  In theory if there is a change in the proportions of the figure, there should be a change in the UVs to maintain a consistent look and to avoid distortions in the texture, and up to Genesis 8 that is what DAZ tried to do.  In practice distortions are unavoidable anyway.  Even a simple arm movement will result in the stretching of the texture at the bend.

But yes, Giselle being physically so different to the Female Base means that the textures based on her UVs are likely to be more misaligned with the physical mesh if you try to use the Base UVs with them (though I think there are only 2 textures which actually use the Giselle UVs).