Legacy UVs for Genesis 8 [Commercial]

Comments

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    SamWM said:

When I baked the materials, I left the 'Bleed Factor' at 0.01 and 'Downsize to Cut Off' unchecked, would that have made any difference? They look like newer options than were available when the guide was written (a 4.9.4 feature maybe).

What guide? I found a very old video. Is that what you mean? Or something else? 'Cause if you found an actual guide for the Map Transfer utility, I'd love a link to it! Thanks.

I bought this right away, sir. To date, it is the second item with "Genesis 8" in the product name that I've spent money on. I don't expect to get much else, at least, not until you release the same for V4... (happy dance!)

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,728

Is a Victoria 6 version forthcoming? Most of my favourite G2F skins are in that format.

• Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,134
    L'Adair said:
    SamWM said:

When I baked the materials, I left the 'Bleed Factor' at 0.01 and 'Downsize to Cut Off' unchecked, would that have made any difference? They look like newer options than were available when the guide was written (a 4.9.4 feature maybe).

What guide? I found a very old video. Is that what you mean? Or something else? 'Cause if you found an actual guide for the Map Transfer utility, I'd love a link to it! Thanks.

I think this is a reference to the RobotHeadArt thread.

L'Adair said:

I bought this right away, sir. To date, it is the second item with "Genesis 8" in the product name that I've spent money on. I don't expect to get much else, at least, not until you release the same for V4... (happy dance!)

You shouldn't have to wait too long!

xyer0 said:

Is a Victoria 6 version forthcoming? Most of my favourite G2F skins are in that format.

The V6 version has just passed testing, so should be along in a few weeks

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,964
    I don't expect to get much else, at least, not until you release the same for V4... (happy dance!)

If you mean a Legacy UV for Genesis 8: V4 version, I hope that it will be able to read pz2 format mat files as the majority of V4 files are not in .DUF format.

I don't expect to get much else, at least, not until you release the same for V4... (happy dance!)

If you mean a Legacy UV for Genesis 8: V4 version, I hope that it will be able to read pz2 format mat files as the majority of V4 files are not in .DUF format.

Old *.dsa, *.dsb and *.pz2 MATs cannot usually be loaded onto Genesis 8 (or Genesis 2 or 3 for that matter), so they will have to be resaved as *.duf Material Presets after being loaded first onto V4 or Genesis.

You can also use DraagonStorm's V4 Skins Batch Converter to Genesis 2 Female(s).

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited July 2017

I literally squee'd when I saw the V4 version released. It went straight into the cart.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,898

Great, in the cart it go.

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,962

So happy for this.  I have beautiful V4 characters and still buy them from Rendo

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,255
    edited July 2017

I have a lot of custom built characters in my resource library which use gen4 eye materials. Should I assume that this will be helpful in moving those character designs to the G8 series? I can't imagine that G8M won't also be using a separate eye geometry as well.

For that matter, I would suppose that there will be a Legacy UV for M4>G8M eventually, as well?

Post edited by JOdel on
    JOdel said:

I have a lot of custom built characters in my resource library which use gen4 eye materials. Should I assume that this will be helpful in moving those character designs to the G8 series? I can't imagine that G8M won't also be using a separate eye geometry as well.

For that matter, I would suppose that there will be a Legacy UV for M4>G8M eventually, as well?

Yes, the eye attachment which loads with the geografts should basically give you a result comparable to the original eyes, that is the intention.

And yes ... eventually! 

edited July 2017

Below is an iray render of G8F with the skin from Miiya for V4/A4 by cymbidium.

Julia40Miiya01pic02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 431K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited July 2017

AerySoul Alice skin on Genesis 8 Female.

Julia51Alice03pic05.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 806K
    Julia51Alice03pic01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 617K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited July 2017
    L'Adair said:
    SamWM said:

I think this is a reference to the RobotHeadArt thread.

Well, that's really sad...! I have it bookmarked, I even posted a number of questions on the thread, and yet I couldn't seem to find it when I went looking! lol

Thank you for the link.

Oh... I bought the V4 version today. I spent a couple of days deciding whether or not to grab the three "7" figures (I didn't already have) in the sale, along with the shoes to get 75% off, (82% as a PC member.) In the end, I decided to save the money for later, so just got your product.
    laugh

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

does anyone know for sure....is it better to install these manually or via DIM, rather than Connect/Smart Content? Or does it not matter? I think there are SOME things that it is better not to install via connect, so I wanted to check. 

jakiblue said:

does anyone know for sure....is it better to install these manually or via DIM, rather than Connect/Smart Content? Or does it not matter? I think there are SOME things that it is better not to install via connect, so I wanted to check. 

Everything seems to work OK using Connect, except for the Toolbar facility.  There is a function in the Add and Remove Toolbar scripts which looks for a pathname of the files to be put on the toolbar, but it can't find it when the files are in the Connect location.

edited July 2017
    Legacy8_V5_popup_4.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 156K
    Legacy8_V6_popup_3.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 149K
    Post edited by Cayman Studios on
  • I just bought this and for some reason I get invisible or purple areas I seem to get the texture only on parts of the figure...I will try other textures but I know it is something I am doing...I see all the great reslts and think perhaps I am a dunce..lol

I just bought this and for some reason I get invisible or purple areas I seem to get the texture only on parts of the figure...I will try other textures but I know it is something I am doing...I see all the great reslts and think perhaps I am a dunce..lol

Lorraine, when you run the Prepare script the geografts are selected in the Scene tab ready for any textures you load.  It may be that you have somehow deselected the geografts, perhaps by clicking somewhere in the Viewport, and so when you then apply the textures the geografts remain untextured.

• I just bought this and for some reason I get invisible or purple areas I seem to get the texture only on parts of the figure...I will try other textures but I know it is something I am doing...I see all the great reslts and think perhaps I am a dunce..lol

Lorraine, when you run the Prepare script the geografts are selected in the Scene tab ready for any textures you load.  It may be that you have somehow deselected the geografts, perhaps by clicking somewhere in the Viewport, and so when you then apply the textures the geografts remain untextured

I am going to double check this.  I will direct my attention to the selection in the viewport.  Yeah I tried it again,  but I only had to choose V8, then to components and only click on the legacy start and then legacy uv surface...and then it worked very nicely...thank you so much...I also clicked the geograph icon which caused a problem.  thank you.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,168
    edited July 2017

Hello,

I'm not getting the results expected. This is Gen8 with Cassie Gen2 mats applied.

I don't know  what I could be doing wrong since the process has only 3 steps after loading Gen8

Any suggestions?

Michael Grant

Michael, Cassie uses the Victoria 5 UV Set.  If you load the MATs onto the original Genesis 2 you can see what the UVs are for each property in the Surfaces tab.  In fact some of the eye surfaces for Cassie are Genesis 2 Base Female UVs, but the differences are so slight as to make little practical difference.

I put a provisional list of V5 and V6 textures  in the "Legacy UVs for Genesis 3" thread.  If a figure is not listed there it is probably a Genesis 2 Base Female texture, unless it is one of the iconic figures, like Monique....

Hi, I was recently checking through all the G2F and G3F characters in my content library to help me decide which of your G8F products I most need (obviously I need them all!) and I noticed some additions to your provisional list for G2F characters - Novica suggested in her thread that I should post them in your thread too. As this is the more active thread, I'll list them here:

Fully V5 UVs:
    FWSA Riva
    Vengeful Spirit

V5 UVs for the skin but with some Base Female UV parts (typically eyes, eyelashes,etc):
    FW Ashley
    FW Caoimhe
    FW Merfolk
    FW Mirella
    FW Naida & Nalin
    FW Neomi
    FW Sassafrat

Fully V6 UVs:
    Bellatrix
    Blake

V6 UVs for the skin with some stray UV parts:
    Sisters for Zev0's Growing Up Pack (cornea says V4!)

I don't know if you'd like to update your list in the other thread?

Post edited by MelanieL on

Thank you, Melanie!  I have updated the list as you suggested.

Blake, though, is actually a Genesis 2 Base Female texture, even though it is called Blake for Victoria 6 and the MATs apply the V6 UV Sets.  I did mention it in the post, that the clue resides in vital misalignments.

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

Hey Cayman Studios ​- these are great utilities!

Question:

I would like to use V4 eyes only with a G2 skin on V8.  How can I go about doing this?

dracorn said:

Hey Cayman Studios ​- these are great utilities!

Question:

I would like to use V4 eyes only with a G2 skin on V8.  How can I go about doing this?

Thanks, dracorn.

One way would be to load the G2F MATs, then load the V4 Eye MATs, then run the Apply G2F script, and finally change the UV Sets manually for the surfaces with the V4 Eye materials on both Genesis 8 and the geografts.

OK, I will try that.  Thanks!

edited August 2017

I have another question -

How can I apply eyes from V4, G1-G2 when I am using a G8 skin?  I.e., is there a way to apply the geographs to the eyes only?  Will applying all the geographs mess up the G8 skin?

Post edited by dracorn on
    edited August 2017

Me again.  I'm trying to apply the textures for Gabi for V5 onto G8.  That worked just fine, except that the textures are 3Delight. 

How do I convert the surfaces now to Iray?  (I have been an avid 3DL user and am just now starting to use Iray so I have little experience).  I tried Daz Uber, but the skin settings weren't right.  I tried to use Vicki's 8's Iray settings and chose Ignore Maps, but it won't convert the geographs - they are still 3Delight.

How it looks in the viewport:

How it looks renderd (not sure what happened to her face, but yeow!)

Iray Conversion Problems 01.jpg
    688 x 810 - 92K
    Iray Conversion Problems 02.jpg
    600 x 600 - 114K
    Post edited by dracorn on
    edited August 2017

Dracorn, if you just apply the Legacy UVs Surfaces script from the Components folder, Surface Selection sets will be created for Genesis 8 which will allow it to recognise legacy surface names from legacy MATs.  So now you can load legacy Eye MATs (provided they are in .duf format) onto Genesis 8.

Of course, if the Eye MATs have transparency/opacity maps to enable gradation between the Sclera and Iris surfaces, this may not look particularly good on Genesis 8, because the Genesis 8 geometry has the Sclera and Irises sharing the same contiguous surface.  On legacy geometries these surfaces were separated, with the Iris behind the Sclera, which is why I introduced an Eye attachment with the geografts which replicated this separation.  But you may be able to get acceptable results without the attachment, it would depend on the way the original MATs were configured.  If there is an opacity map on the sclera, try removing it.

And yes, the geografts cannot be used with the G8 skin.  I did not have the eye attachment as a separate object because I wanted the entire process to run as simply as possible.  But I suppose, in retrospect, the option to load the eye attachment separately may offer some advantages, this being one of them.  I will think about this and perhaps put out an update at some point.

Regarding the Iray issue, the shader has to be applied on all surfaces after the 3Delight MATs.  You will then have to set the Cutout Opacity for the Sclera on Genesis 8 to zero so that it does not clash with the Legacy Sclera surface of the eye attachment.

As well as the default Iray Uber Base, there is the "Iray Optimized Genesis 2 Female MAT" (Genesis 2 Female > Materials > Iray) which you could try.  But with both of these you will need to do a bit of tweaking to get the results you want.  There are a few Iray products in the store which are geared towards skins including Sickleyield's Beautiful Skin Iray Genesis 2 Female(s) which I used for the attached image of G8F with the Gabi V5 skin.

For Genesis 8 the Sclera, Iris and Pupils surfaces should not show any glossiness or reflectivity, so I set the Glossy Reflectivity to zero for the Irises, Pupils and Legacy Sclera surfaces.  Also the Gabi V5 MAT has a transparency map for the lacrimals which does not work very well with the Genesis 8 geometry, so the Cutout Opacity for the EyeSocket had to be set to zero.

I think your face whiteout render is a memory issue.  Just close and restart DAZ Studio.

Gabi_V5_Iray.jpg
    800 x 800 - 239K
    Post edited by Cayman Studios on
  • Legacy UVs for Genesis 8: Genesis 2 Male, Michael 5 and Michael 6 is released today.

https://www.daz3d.com/legacy-uvs-for-genesis-8-genesis-2-male-michael-5-and-michael-6

The Eye (Sclera-Cornea) Attachment which loads with the geografts can now also be loaded as a standalone attachment from the Components folder.  This means that legacy eye MATs (including Genesis 3) can be used with Genesis 8 skins.  For more information see the PDF Documentation:

http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/read_me/index/47051/47051_legacy-uvs-for-genesis-8-genesis-2-male-michael-5-michael-6-user-guide.pdf