Morphs from G3 to G8

Comments

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Yeah, there's some weird recurve on the fingers. But hey.

I think I will channel my annoyance with the whole G8 thing by just being diligent about transfering morphs.

Oh, all in all it don't look bad. LOL considering the original is for the G3 Male :)

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

Yeah, actually technically that's transferred G3M and Exile shapes (did them separately, seems to be the most sensible)

Going to experiment with sb3, I think.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited June 2017

My Anicinabe morphs comparison render:

Female Anicinabe morph with Cross-Figure vs Male Anicinabe morph, by L'Adair

On the left, the morph from last night, applying the female Anicinabe morph to the G3F setup, using Cross-Figure to give the morph the male shape. On the right is new morph created using the G3M setup, (the extra two steps outlined in my previous post.) The two guys next to each other look like brothers, or the left a younger version of the one on the right. Overall, the creating morphs from G3M characters is easy as from G3F characters. (Once I had my base G3M setup, I saved it, just as I did for the female.) The real issue is going to be skins for the male characters.You can use any G3F skin without makeup and remove the brows with Brow Remover. Then it's easy to add brows with Skin Builder 3, though only a few brow shapes are not obviously female. Or you could try using auto-fit to apply fiber-mesh brows. I haven't tried Oh My Brows for G3M yet, but I did use auto-fit for the G3F version and one other fiber mesh G3F brows I have, and they work perfectly, provided you select hair in the dialog. (I selected short hair. I did not try Shoulder-Length hair.)

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited June 2017

I did manage to get a G3M skin on G8F. Can't remember if I posted this one here or not. I used Ahmad's djinn skin. There were seams though. No way to really get around that. 

I've also tried Cayman's legacy UV's, first putting them on G3F and then autofitting to G8F. That part worked, but when you put the skin on, you can't smooth it out like you can on G3F, so it looks weird. That post is here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2524546/#Comment_2524546

V8-Djinn.jpg
    1500 x 1433 - 444K
    Post edited by Llynara on
  • Singular BluesSingular Blues Posts: 737
    edited June 2017

Legacy UVs isn't going to work.

UV definitions are geometry specific. What Cayman did was create a whole new set of UVs for G3F. Because of the difference between G3's material zones and those of the previous generations, G3 can't use older textures "out of the box," as it were. So, in addition to the new UV layout, Cayman made geografts to handle the the different material zones.

To make it work on G8 you need to convert the geografts to G8, graft them, and then create a new UV layout for G8.

Even doing all that, there are still a bunch of bells and whistles built into the Legacy UVs products that mean the conversion probably won't have the same utility. I doubt there's a way around that unless you're a whiz at Dazscript.

Post edited by Singular Blues on
  • ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,959

Does anyone know how to remove the morphs out of the morph loader?  I have redone some and although I deleted the actual morphs from the morph directory in my content library, when I get to the point after the ERC freeze point, I have to rename the morphs because they are still in the morph loader.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Everyone's creations look lovely.  Here are 2 I've done. The first is Yara and the second is Celestia both by Mousso at Rendo. The second image was done before I knew how to fix the eye.

Yara looks great! What skin texture is that?

I think someone should be amused... I did this via tutorial (and also GenX2 to get things over to G3F, plus some Normal generation to capture HD details and Map Transfer to get a G3M skin on G8F)

Wow! SO creapy! So cool! Excellent work!

UV definitions are geometry specific. What Cayman did was create a whole new set of UVs for G3F. Because of the difference between G3's material zones and those of the previous generations, G3 can't use older textures "out of the box," as it were. So, in addition to the new UV layout, Cayman made geografts to handle the the different material zones.

To make it work on G8 you need to convert the geografts to G8, graft them, and then create a new UV layout for G8.

Even doing all that, there are still a bunch of bells and whistles built into the Legacy UVs products that mean the conversion probably won't have the same utility. I doubt there's a way around that unless you're a whiz at Dazscript.

Since the UV's are close, I thought it was worth a shot. I love the Legacy UV products and do hope Cayman makes versions for G8 at some point in the near future. I use those products a lot. 

L'Adair said:

My Anicinabe morphs comparison render:

Female Anicinabe morph with Cross-Figure vs Male Anicinabe morph, by L'Adair

On the left, the morph from last night, applying the female Anicinabe morph to the G3F setup, using Cross-Figure to give the morph the male shape. On the right is new morph created using the G3M setup, (the extra two steps outlined in my previous post.) The two guys next to each other look like brothers, or the left a younger version of the one on the right. Overall, the creating morphs from G3M characters is easy as from G3F characters. (Once I had my base G3M setup, I saved it, just as I did for the female.) The real issue is going to be skins for the male characters.You can use any G3F skin without makeup and remove the brows with Brow Remover. Then it's easy to add brows with Skin Builder 3, though only a few brow shapes are not obviously female. Or you could try using auto-fit to apply fiber-mesh brows. I haven't tried Oh My Brows for G3M yet, but I did use auto-fit for the G3F version and one other fiber mesh G3F brows I have, and they work perfectly, provided you select hair in the dialog. (I selected short hair. I did not try Shoulder-Length hair.)

Oh nice! He looks great! Sexy guy!

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,959

Everyone's creations look lovely.  Here are 2 I've done. The first is Yara and the second is Celestia both by Mousso at Rendo. The second image was done before I knew how to fix the eye.

Yara looks great! What skin texture is that?

It's from the Mousso character Yara. Her skin was more pale before I updated to the new version of Daz and also I used that shader script so she looks really tan now.

• Llynara said:

Since the UV's are close, I thought it was worth a shot. I love the Legacy UV products and do hope Cayman makes versions for G8 at some point in the near future. I use those products a lot. 

You'll be able to share any material made for G3 over to G8 because they are cut up the same way, but everything is a no go. Those Geografts in the Legacy stuff are mission critical. It just won't work without them. But as important, the UV layouts are totally different gor G2 and earlier. The legacy package actually changes G3's UVlayout to match the older v and then covers the gaps with geografts.

Also, you should be able to eliminate seams from G3M, V7, etc maps using the Map Transfer utility to convert the textures to G3F's UV layout.

The only way to convert older maps Involves Blender.

Does anyone know how to remove the morphs out of the morph loader?  I have redone some and although I deleted the actual morphs from the morph directory in my content library, when I get to the point after the ERC freeze point, I have to rename the morphs because they are still in the morph loader.

Select the morph so it is outlined. Right click on it as if you were going to ERC freeze, In the same menu as ERC freeze, there is a Delete Selected morphs command. That will remove it from the list.

If you delete the DSF files and restart Studio, the morphs are also gone. If your problem is that you are loading a new figure and the morphs are still there, it's because Studio has them in memory, that's why a restart will make them go away after you delete the files. The Delete selected morphs command removes them from active memory, but does not delete file, so they typically reurn if you load the figure again, or restart Studio

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    Redz said:

A couple of experiments.

First, showing Izabella 7's head morph using first the Transfer Utility, and secondly the Morph Import method. Tween Julie similarly fares better. Thus, for some of these more extreme eye shapes, the morph import method may be better, though not necessarily perfect.

Second test using Anneka Demon's HD Body morph. Neither method transfers the HD detail, so that is sadly lost. The current morph import method ignores much of the hand and all of the nail detail.

The transfer utility does better, but distorts the nails.

So I made a G8F Clone for G3F using Singular Blues method on page three of this thread. Once I had this clone, I was able to reverse the process to make a new clone of Genesis 3 Female for G8F.

With this clone dialled in rather than the default G3F clone provided, the fidelity of the morph transfer is much better. (See last image)

Dialling in this new G3F clone on top of the Transfer Utility also produces the same result (whereas the default G3F clone provided with Daz Studio does not).

So I'm concluding that it is probably worth the extra effort of making a new G3F Clone using Singular Blues Method, regardless of which method you prefer to use.

Let me know if a step by step tutorial to make the new clones would be helpful. Singular Blues' description is fairly clear. Then once the G8F clone for G3F is saved, you can use it the same way to 'fit' a copy of G8F to G3F and create a new alternate G3F clone for G8F. It adds a bit to the workflow, but for some morphs may give a significantly improved result.

I'm confused, @Redz.

1) I don't understand what "Transfer Utility method"  and "Morph Import method" are. I tried your revised tutorial, but it seems to use both the transfer utility and morph importing with morph loader pro, so is it one of those methods, or something else?

2) Does your revised tutorial already have this change to the Singular Blues type clone incorporated or do I hae to change the files you provided?

Thanks for all the tips in this forum thread.

edited June 2017
    Llynara said:

You'll be able to share any material made for G3 over to G8 because they are cut up the same way, but everything is a no go. Those Geografts in the Legacy stuff are mission critical. It just won't work without them. But as important, the UV layouts are totally different gor G2 and earlier. The legacy package actually changes G3's UVlayout to match the older v and then covers the gaps with geografts.

Also, you should be able to eliminate seams from G3M, V7, etc maps using the Map Transfer utility to convert the textures to G3F's UV layout.

The only way to convert older maps Involves Blender.

I was able to fit the grafts onto G8F via autofit, and put the skins on. It was the final step- smoothing the old UV onto the new one, where things go wonky. It doesn't know how to wrap correctly, probably because a step is missing in prepping the character and loading that new UV he created. The script won't load it on a G8F, hence the workaround. Worth a try though.

I don't know much about the Map Transfer Utility. Sounds like another adventure, LOL

Post edited by Llynara on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

Argh, can anyone remind me how to remove parts of a body from a morph?

I'm trying to bring over some facial morphs and for some reason it insists on adjusting the shoulders and hips (badly)

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926
    edited June 2017

I'm trying to bring over some facial morphs and for some reason it insists on adjusting the shoulders and hips (badly)

Also the belly button! I have only a few FaceGen morphs and nothing else I'd like to transfer. I'll buy what I want when I need it for G8 when it's available and needed.

How can I transfer just a FaceGen morph and absolutely not affect the  navel or the rest of the body?

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

Ultimate Uwrap 3D repaint works a treat for transferring textures and its not dear, I even for a laugh transfered V4 purple bikini skin to Genesis 3 which would work on 8!

edited June 2017

I'm not sure, I've never done it. But this tutorial: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2544901/#Comment_2544901    

sounds like it might work? 

Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited June 2017

I bought both the Geograft Legacy UVs products and the Smith3D Texture Transformer and personally I feel the better solution is the Texture Transformer. It is much less aggravation and steps once you save the transformed textures and make material presets.

In fact I like it so much I have been waiting for these 2 products to go on massive sales:

https://www.daz3d.com/michael-4-3d-model-pro-suite

https://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-3d-model-pro-suite

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • cdpro_2831bbd990cdpro_2831bbd990 Posts: 1,430
    edited June 2017

So far, good luck with many tranferring via Redz tools.  I am having odd issues in that while some will transfer to the G8 obj, some won't affect it at all.  I haven't any idea what the cause of that might be, since if I make the G8 invisible and the G3 visible, I can see that the G3 is morphing as expected.  But, the G8 is unaffected. 

Any ideas about that?

Here a render of Alietta Sprite on G8F...worked perfectly on her.  Skin is using NGS2 shaders as well.

Alietta Sprite G8F.jpg
    1545 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by cdpro_2831bbd990 on
  • DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451

Has anyone had any luck transferring facegen morphs over, when I load them on G3f nothing changes on g8f but it will Change G3f so I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if it's just not possible 

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

I believe you have to bring the morph over, mark it as a favorite then go into the Geometry Editor and remove the polys you don't want in the morph (which in your case would be the whole body except the head). Then do the rest as normal.

Laurie

• RedzRedz Posts: 1,459

So far, good luck with many tranferring via Redz tools.  I am having odd issues in that while some will transfer to the G8 obj, some won't affect it at all.  I haven't any idea what the cause of that might be, since if I make the G8 invisible and the G3 visible, I can see that the G3 is morphing as expected.  But, the G8 is unaffected. 

Any ideas about that?

Here a render of Alietta Sprite on G8F...worked perfectly on her.  Skin is using NGS2 shaders as well.

dkgoose said:

Has anyone had any luck transferring facegen morphs over, when I load them on G3f nothing changes on g8f but it will Change G3f so I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if it's just not possible 

The most likely reason is that auto-follow is disabled for the morphs you are trying to transfer. The solution would be to enble auto-follow for the morph in the parameters tab. I think you would then need to refit your G8 Morph object to G3 before it will work.

Ki-Jen said:

Hey guys, that vertex stuff sounds a bit too heavy for me. Successfully transferd my first morph. Noticed that whereas it was a morph for a body part the posture changed a bit once I applied it to G8F. So maybe this is that vertex/vertices thing? Would not mind if one of you Guru's might add that to Redz tutorial.

But for the moment thanks to everyone exploring or documenting the necessary steps for transfering morphs enabling even a noob like me to do it.

You don't need to be a guru to do that. In fact, I didn't even know, this "Geometry Editor" exists, before Redz mentioned it. To create a partial morph (head morph for example) without affecting the other parts of G8, try this:

1. Follow Redz's manual until you have loaded and dialed in your transferred G3 morph into G8 ("If all went well your morph imported and will be in the parameters tab. Dial it in and check that G8F has morphed correctly." in "Part two").
    2. Go to your morph in the Parameters tab and click on the heart in the top right of the morph to mark it as a "favorite".
    3. Activate the Geometry Editor:
      Geometry Editor
    4. Right click on your Genesis 8 in the Viewport and select Selection Type - Vertex Selection.
    5. Right click again on G8 and select Selection Mode - Lasso Selection.
    6. Drag the lasso around everything of G8, that should NOT be part of your morph. For a head morph, select the entire body, for example. It should look like this:
      Geometry Editor in action
    7. Right click a 3rd time on G8 and select Morph Editing - Clear Selected Deltas from Favorits.
    8. Continue with Redz manual.

Here's the description for removing unwanted vertices from your morphs 

barbult said:
    Redz said:

A couple of experiments.

First, showing Izabella 7's head morph using first the Transfer Utility, and secondly the Morph Import method. Tween Julie similarly fares better. Thus, for some of these more extreme eye shapes, the morph import method may be better, though not necessarily perfect.

Second test using Anneka Demon's HD Body morph. Neither method transfers the HD detail, so that is sadly lost. The current morph import method ignores much of the hand and all of the nail detail.

So I made a G8F Clone for G3F using Singular Blues method on page three of this thread. Once I had this clone, I was able to reverse the process to make a new clone of Genesis 3 Female for G8F.

With this clone dialled in rather than the default G3F clone provided, the fidelity of the morph transfer is much better. (See last image)

Dialling in this new G3F clone on top of the Transfer Utility also produces the same result (whereas the default G3F clone provided with Daz Studio does not).

So I'm concluding that it is probably worth the extra effort of making a new G3F Clone using Singular Blues Method, regardless of which method you prefer to use.

Let me know if a step by step tutorial to make the new clones would be helpful. Singular Blues' description is fairly clear. Then once the G8F clone for G3F is saved, you can use it the same way to 'fit' a copy of G8F to G3F and create a new alternate G3F clone for G8F. It adds a bit to the workflow, but for some morphs may give a significantly improved result.

I'm confused, @Redz.

1) I don't understand what "Transfer Utility method"  and "Morph Import method" are. I tried your revised tutorial, but it seems to use both the transfer utility and morph importing with morph loader pro, so is it one of those methods, or something else?

2) Does your revised tutorial already have this change to the Singular Blues type clone incorporated or do I hae to change the files you provided?

When I say Transfer Utility method I mean the method described by Sickleyield  whereby you load a G3F and a G8F, then you favourite the G3 morphs you wish to transfer and use the transfer utility selecting the G3F clone and unchecking all but the morphs-favourites options. It's really fast but the default clone messes up the hands badly on body morphs and you can't transfer whole characters unless you make a full body morph for them on G3F first. 

By the morph import method, I refer to the tutorial I posted. I'm don't want to claim ownership as it's directly pulled from methods posted here for previous generations, just packaged a little easier to follow.

No the current tutorial file has the default Genesis 3 Female clone dialled in on G8F. Making a new clone using Singular Blues method and dialling that in instead of the default clone would give better transfer results, but involves a few extra steps to make the clone.

hope that helps

• cdpro_2831bbd990cdpro_2831bbd990 Posts: 1,430
    edited June 2017
    Redz said:

Any ideas about that?

dkgoose said:

The most likely reason is that auto-follow is disabled for the morphs you are trying to transfer. The solution would be to enble auto-follow for the morph in the parameters tab. I think you would then need to refit your G8 Morph object to G3 before it will work.

What do you mean by "refit?"  Do you mean I'd need to do "Fit G8F to G3F" after changing the parameter to "autofollow?"

EDIT...  Yep...tried that and it worked. 

1. I enabled "autofollow" under the parameter settings.

2. I "Fit to None" to remove the fit on G8F.  (This step is necessary.  It didn't work when I tried to do another "Fit to G3F" without "Fit to None" first.)

3. I redid "Fit to G3F" on G8F.

4. Those morphs that I added "AutoFollow" now work.

Thanks again, Redz!

Post edited by cdpro_2831bbd990 on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    Redz said:
    barbult said:
    Redz said:

A couple of experiments.

I'm confused, @Redz.

When I say Transfer Utility method I mean the method described by Sickleyield  whereby you load a G3F and a G8F, then you favourite the G3 morphs you wish to transfer and use the transfer utility selecting the G3F clone and unchecking all but the morphs-favourites options. It's really fast but the default clone messes up the hands badly on body morphs and you can't transfer whole characters unless you make a full body morph for them on G3F first. 

By the morph import method, I refer to the tutorial I posted. I'm don't want to claim ownership as it's directly pulled from methods posted here for previous generations, just packaged a little easier to follow.

No the current tutorial file has the default Genesis 3 Female clone dialled in on G8F. Making a new clone using Singular Blues method and dialling that in instead of the default clone would give better transfer results, but involves a few extra steps to make the clone.

hope that helps

Yes, thank you, that helps a lot!

Callie 6 dialed in at 40% to G8F - I think she's adorable! :) Thank you again Redz! You've made my year! 

Did you convert Callie 6 from Gen2 straight to Gen8. Or did you convert from Gen2 via Gen3, then onto Gen8? 

I'm sorry Devilsatdust15, I don't know how I missed your comment! I transfered her via GenX2 from G2F to G3F, then used Redz tutorial to transfer her to G8F.

dkgoose said:

I have - I simply used SickleYield's old turtorial but I need to augment it a bit with the post 5 posts prior to this post to stop unwanted transfer of the navel morph and other such things.

It seems like characters with large eyes don't transfer well. The eyes end up looking pretty messed up. Does anyone know how to fix these scary eyes?

The upper lid gets this really weird droopy skin. Anyone know a fix for this?