Morphs from G3 to G8

Comments

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited June 2017

@AllenArt She looks great. And I'm loving those clothes (trying to resist the OOT, the new stuff looks amazing.)

@Astracadia LOL! She's adorable!

I'm tracking back through the thread to figure out what I'm testing today. Had to survive another dysfunctional holiday yesterday. Ready to render now! 

Post edited by Llynara on
  • Hi there, will try out those tutorials and hope to be able to start transfering over morphs soon. Some questions as I'm not fully aware what is possible and what not:

[sinp]
    - Various helpers (projection morphs?) like those from SickleYield or Zev0?
    [...]

Okay, so the gross pedant in me requires I give a complete answer to this.

You can, in theory. Practice is a different animal. In order to transfer a projection morph from one figure to another, you need to know how make a projection morph. 

So, you could use these methods to transfer projection morphs. They would appear in the target geometry as plain old morphs. At this point, you're getting well into the realm of deminishing returns. It's actually simpler to dress G3 in whatever outfit you want to target with the projection morph, dial that in, export the outfit geomtry and bring it back as a morph on the clothing, then autofit the clothing to G8. (Of course, if you want to use this option often, then you would save the morph to clothing before autofiting. If you try to save after, it will be broken).

That may not sound simpler, but knowing how to make projection morphs, I can say it really, really is. The process of making them is about as complex, but after making, you have testing, and identifying mistakes and fixing them. If you've got enough mojo to make character transfers between G3 and G8, then you're probably going to be able to add a morph to some clothing first time, every time.

Bottom line, it's a "what is your time worth" question. In the near term it's less time to morph the clothing. Long term it's less time to let someone else make projection morphs and buy them. Skip a couple of days at starbucks, bypass a few bags of chips, cut back on smoking, or just spend the money. It's better than spending hours and hours laboriously converting morphs to projection morphs.

And if you diagree with my assessment of time value, you can find a tut on how to make projection morphs on SY's deviantart. Good luck.

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,959
    edited June 2017

Everyone's creations look lovely.  Here are 2 I've done. The first is Yara and the second is Celestia both by Mousso at Rendo. The second image was done before I knew how to fix the eye.

Yara G8.png
    982 x 921 - 766K
    Celestia G8.png
    989 x 921 - 682K
    Post edited by ALLIEKATBLUE on
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,672

@ALLIEKATBLUE They look so fine, as usual for you. How DID you fix the eye?

• bu_es_d66e03e3c8bu_es_d66e03e3c8 Posts: 19
    edited June 2017

That look as if the alignment is not adjusting - were you working on Geensis 8 Female, and what options do you have in Adjust Rigging to Shape?

What options do I have in rinnging to shape ?. I did not know it could be configured .. I'm a newbie

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited June 2017

V8 with a little Raiya's Sapphire, Monique 7 and Ophelia plus a few dial spins ;). The skin is Lydia's that I tanned slightly. LOVE those clothes by OOT. So nice :).

Laurie

That look as if the alignment is not adjusting - were you working on Geensis 8 Female, and what options do you have in Adjust Rigging to Shape?

What options do I have in rinnging to shape ?. I did not know it could be configured .. I'm a newbie

In between importing the morph and ERC Freeze, you need to "Adjust Rigging To Shape" as outlined in the tutorial.

Laurie

edited June 2017

The attempt was with the head morph

edited June 2017
    AllenArt said:

V8 with a little Raiya's Sapphire, Monique 7 and Ophelia plus a few dial spins ;). The skin is Lydia's that I tanned slightly. LOVE those clothes by OOT. So nice :).

Laurie

In between importing the morph and ERC Freeze, you need to "Adjust Rigging To Shape" as outlined in the tutorial.

Laurie

It's like I did the Rigging to shape first but it happens in the bones. :-(

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,959
    xyer0 said:

I read in one of the threads that you have to change the base color of iris by putting the correct texture in the surfaces. I tried to upload the image but it's not uploading it, strange

• lululee1lululee1 Posts: 291

Thanks Redz,

Works like a charm.

Thanks so much.

Cheerio

lululee

• Singular BluesSingular Blues Posts: 737
    edited June 2017
    AllenArt said:

I'm not exactly sure how you could possibly have done that.

Are you saying this happens every time you attempt to do the transfer?

All I can recomend at this point is reloading and staring over.

Anyway, what version of Studio are you using?

For others, you have to take a look at the screen shot provided. The rigging is completely destroyed, with bone orgins sitting where their end points should be, and orientations seemingly random. This is somewhat unusual, to say the least, and not likely a result of a missed step.

Post edited by Singular Blues on

could be all three options at the bottom of the transfer utility were checked. only the first two are on by default and I've been leaving it at the default and have had no problems. Someone earlier who WAS checking that last box (orientation I think it is) was having similar problems.

Laurie

• tombraider4evertombraider4ever Posts: 659
    edited June 2017

I tried a few "pose morph dials", like hand grasp, and hand fist on a character I transferred using Redz tutorial, and it's not working properly, the thumb goes into the other fingers. When I try knees up the thighs collide. 

I don't mean this a complaint, I can still use my transferred charcters, I just have to adjust poses, I mean it as feedback.

Edit: I just made the transfer again and I did excactly the same as last time, I followed every instruction and didn't change a thing in the adjust rigging dialog box, I just clicked accept and it worked. I tested the same morphs, hand fist and knees up and it looks perfect.

I have no idea what I did wrong the last time. I will check if I need to remake my other transferred characters (I hope not, my morph loader section is starting to look crowded)

Post edited by tombraider4ever on
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited June 2017
    xyer0 said:

I read in one of the threads that you have to change the base color of iris by putting the correct texture in the surfaces. I tried to upload the image but it's not uploading it, strange

Here it is. I put this in the V8 thread but reposting in case anyone needs it: 

Most of the eye materials are loading okay. Usually I just go to Content Library and load the materials from the Genesis 3 Female->Characters folders without any issue. But a few are really funky, like Anneka's glowing eyes: 

(For some reason, Gwennili's weren't a problem. Go figure.) 

I don't know exactly what they changed with the eyes, or why some work perfectly out of the box and some don't. 

G3 to G8 Eye Material Workaround

So far this has been succesful so far on the ones I've had trouble with: 

1. Load a G8F or V8 eye preset- doesn't matter which one. Just double click on one of them. You just want to overwrite whatever the issue is in the G3F material.
    2. Then go into the Surfaces tab and find the "Iris" section.
    4. Replace the "base" map with the desired G3F eye material. Just click on the picture of the base map and choose "browse" from the menu that pops up.
    5. You can find these textures under "\My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\Textures,"  often under the name of the PA, or if they're a DAZ original, under the DAZ/Characters folder. 
    Post edited by Llynara on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    L'Adair said:

The revised G8 Morph Transfers info is working beautifully. While I was deciding which character morph to create next, I thought I'd see what happened if I dialed in Cross-Figure. I got a very nice looking male, that's what happened.

Here is Anicinabe for G3F combined with Cross-Figure:

G8 Character Morph for Anicinabe & Cross-Figure

This is not a very thought out render, just a quick attempt to showcase the morph. The skin is also Anicinabe for G3F. I used Brow Remover to get rid of the feminine brows, and it works just fine with G8F using the G3F mask, and I added the more masculine brows in Skin Builder 3. I did have to load the skin onto a G3F to use SB3, then copied the modified image files back to G8.

He turned out nicely! I really like his boyish but handsome face! :D

I played around with the G2M and G3M clones that came with Genesis 8 Female. I ended up using the Genesis 2 Male clone to turn Genesis 8 Female in a "Genesis 8 Male":

I like how he turned out. Though he looks a little evil. lol I'm going to need to tweak his brows a bit to get him looking a little less sinister. 

I suspect any G3F character morph with Cross-Figure will have that "boyish" look. The face morphs could go a long way to making him look more rugged, I suspect, but I'm not planning on buying them any time soon. But now I'm curious to see what happens with the straight Anicinabe and the G3M clone dialed in. Will they be the same, or will "he" look more masculine.

I did pick up OOT's Mega Wardrobe, but only because with the G8F clone I made following Singular Blues instructions on page 3, my G3F's can "wear them all." I have his Mega Wardrobe for the G3 males and it's one of my favorite products. That and the Bone Doctor wiped out my June budget. For the rest of the month, I have to wishlist anything I want. But if they keep releasing G8F stuff, that won't be much of a problem! lol...

• gaiago57gaiago57 Posts: 20

I tried the tools from Redz again, and this time it worked perfectly, THANK YOU ! wink

edited June 2017
    AllenArt said:

could be all three options at the bottom of the transfer utility were checked. only the first two are on by default and I've been leaving it at the default and have had no problems. Someone earlier who WAS checking that last box (orientation I think it is) was having similar problems.

Laurie

I dunno. Like I said, I can't imagine how that happened. Sometimes adjust orientation is necessary, so I've used it in the past. Most of time it isn't, and certainly you should never just check it. Best to pick the specific bones you need to adjust orientation, and uncheck everything else (or right click, uncheck all from the context menu, then check only those bones you need to change).

But like I said, based on the sceen shot, the center poins have moved to the end point location, and that shouldn't happen for any reason, at all. Obviously, it has, but I'm stumped as to how. The only guess I have is that somehow the weight maps of the figure are corrupt. As long as bu_es_d66e03e3c8 hasn't saved over the G8 figure, closing studio and restarting it would solve any kind of corrupting of the figure.

EDIT: I just tested it out on a morph I transfered but did not rig. Adjust orientation didn't cause any obvious issues. All of the bones were lined up properly, at least by eyeball. Nothing flying off in od directions or center points swapped with end points. Maybe it's something to with the shape bu_es_d66e03e3c8 is trying to rig, but again, stumped.

• AllenArt said:

Laurie

Laurie

What exactly did you do?

• AllenArt said:

Laurie

Laurie

What exactly did you do?

Follow the tutorial step by step. But seeing the result ... I think something failed. I do not know if it is for me the truth. Becuase that is the result of rigging to shape. When it connects the joint editor came out the pose in basic T of G3F not the one of G8F the morph was active to 100% and was perfect it had transferred it perfectly. But something I did wrong.

bones-Fail.png
    1065 x 1050 - 63K
  • AllenArt said:

I'm not exactly sure how you could possibly have done that.

Are you saying this happens every time you attempt to do the transfer?

All I can recomend at this point is reloading and staring over.

Anyway, what version of Studio are you using?

For others, you have to take a look at the screen shot provided. The rigging is completely destroyed, with bone orgins sitting where their end points should be, and orientations seemingly random. This is somewhat unusual, to say the least, and not likely a result of a missed step.

My Version of Daz Studio is 4.9.7.117

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,885

I think someone should be amused... I did this via tutorial (and also GenX2 to get things over to G3F, plus some Normal generation to capture HD details and Map Transfer to get a G3M skin on G8F)

G8F Exile.jpg
    668 x 1080 - 203K
  • AllenArt said:

Laurie

Laurie

What exactly did you do?

Follow the tutorial step by step. But seeing the result ... I think something failed. I do not know if it is for me the truth. Becuase that is the result of rigging to shape. When it connects the joint editor came out the pose in basic T of G3F not the one of G8F the morph was active to 100% and was perfect it had transferred it perfectly. But something I did wrong.

Ah. I begin to see.

Please start over. Follow the steps until you export the G8 morph.

At that point, close studio. Open Studio again. Load ONLY G8. Nothing else. Continue the steps from here to import the morph and adjust rigging. Report results. I think I know what you did. I need you to do this to confirm.

• The Adjust Rigging to Shape command should open a dialogue - I suspect you may be doing soemthing else if you are not seeing it; if you are then that is where I was asking bout the options you set.

• AllenArt said:

Laurie

Laurie

What exactly did you do?

Ah. I begin to see.

At that point, close studio. Open Studio again. Load ONLY G8. Nothing else. Continue the steps from here to import the morph and adjust rigging. Report results. I think I know what you did. I need you to do this to confirm.

So I did but I think now I do not remember if I'm in charge of the G8. But there was only the G8.

edited June 2017
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

Laurie

What exactly did you do?

Ah. I begin to see.

So I did but I think now I do not remember if I'm in charge of the G8. But there was only the G8.

I don't understand what you mean.

In Redz's file there is a G8 and a G3. The G3 is hidden. Either something in your computer is broken, or you are doing something wrong. We can't help you unless you try to help yourself.

Anyway, I figured I'd render something with G8 while I waited.

Stylized for your pleasure

d65.png
    1024 x 1024 - 3M
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,734
    edited June 2017

Ugh, problem with right quote. Ignore this. Can't delete.

Post edited by Wonderland on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,734

I think someone should be amused... I did this via tutorial (and also GenX2 to get things over to G3F, plus some Normal generation to capture HD details and Map Transfer to get a G3M skin on G8F)

Very cool!

He looks pretty mad that his fingers are broken ;)

Laurie

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,885

Yeah, there's some weird recurve on the fingers. But hey.

I think I will channel my annoyance with the whole G8 thing by just being diligent about transfering morphs.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited June 2017

I'm rendering my Anicinabe image with two guys right now, one is the morph I created last night and posted here. the other I did today using G3M instead of G3F. I followed the instructions but added two steps, With the G8 imported object fit to G3F, I applied Cross-Figure to G3F and saved the now male version as another G8 wavefront object. I imported the G8 male version object, and did the fit to to G3M. Then I followed the rest of the instructions. I'll post the comparison render when it's done...

Post edited by L'Adair on