Morphs from G3 to G8

Comments

• colinmac2colinmac2 Posts: 407
    Redz said:

This is my alternative method, but I've found it better than the transfer utility for body morphs especially

Tutorial and helper scene/morphs included

DOWNLOAD HERE

Exactly WHERE is the tutorial stored?  I can't find it.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    Redz said:

This is my alternative method, but I've found it better than the transfer utility for body morphs especially

DOWNLOAD HERE

Awesome! Thanks so much :)

Laurie

colinmac2 said:
    Redz said:

DOWNLOAD HERE

Exactly WHERE is the tutorial stored?  I can't find it.

Um, click on DOWNLOAD HERE and the zip file is right in front of you?

Laurie

• RedzRedz Posts: 1,459
    Redz said:
    Redz said:
    Redz said:

Redz said:

DOWNLOAD HERE

Thanks! smiley 

When I try to export and choose To: Daz Studio and uncheck 'Write Groups' the to changes to: "custom". If I choose to: Daz studio again the White Groups becomes checked again. Is it supposed to work like this or am I doing something wrong?

No just leave it at custom after you've chose Daz and unchecked write groups. 

Thanks for the reply! :) What does zero the figure mean?

Select G8F in the scene. Over on the parameters tab click the box with four lines and an arrow, and select Zero = Zero Figure. It just makes sure you're loading your morphs onto a clean, unmorphed G8F

Thank you so much for the tutorial and the replies! smiley I'm a beginner at Daz but I could easily follow the tutorial, I have succesfully transfered my Lara morph to G8, she seams to be in working order except for the distortion in the wrists as you can see in the render:

G3 on the left, G8 on the right

Is there a way to make the transfer without the distortion? 

Very welcome. It all comes down to how well the G3F and G8F shapes match up to begin with, Some shapes are trickier than others. Here is an alternative file you can use with the tutorial which may give you straighter wrists, but I can't guarantee without having the character to test.

Alt Clone File Download

• colinmac2colinmac2 Posts: 407

Yes the zip file is there, but where is the tutorial in DAZ?  It's not in documents.

colinmac2 said:

Yes the zip file is there, but where is the tutorial in DAZ?  It's not in documents.

There's a PDF in the zip file with the instructions, to be opened and read outside of Daz Studio. 

• Twilight76Twilight76 Posts: 318

thx for the Tutorial Redz.

Here a fast Convert :)

• valzheimervalzheimer Posts: 519

To escape distortion of limbs, it's best to place Genesis 8 and Genesis 3 into the same pose (be it A on Gen3 or T on Gen8). In theory morphs *should* transfer either way, but I've found it best to play safe and just make both poses identical during transfer to escape unwanted results.

Don't forget to readjust the rigging and ERC freeze your morph after import that's very important for your future morphs on Gen8 as well.

Other than that I have succesfully done same as Redz, don't do direct tranasfer but rather transfer using gen8 as a static OBJ :)

Hope that helps.

• valzheimervalzheimer Posts: 519

Another thing: if you want to transfer a character that you have created using MORPHS packs for Genesis 3 - Gen3 and Gen8 morphs are named identically, you can just save as > shaping preset on genesis 3 and use that same injection on Genesis 8 without transferring anything, same morphs WILL apply. This goes only for morphs packs (head and body) and their combinations though :) 

• cdpro_2831bbd990cdpro_2831bbd990 Posts: 1,430
    edited June 2017
    Redz said:

DOWNLOAD HERE

You...are AWESOME!  Thanks so much for this.  I was able to transfer my original G3F character, Katja, to GF8 with no problemo.  I had no luck using the transfer utility in the past.  But, your method is excellent.  I also noticed that I didn't have to change the figure to "base" before export.  Is that because you already did, or because G8F doesn't require it?

Here's Katja for G8F, wearing the Blood Red outfit and the Chandra Hair.  I'm using her G3F skin, which also has NGS2 shaders.

This really is a huge help for moving to G8.  It also means that I'll be able to continue to make new characters without worrying about them being obsolete.  Thanks a MILLION!

Katja Blood Red G8F.jpg
    1545 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by cdpro_2831bbd990 on
    Redz said:

DOWNLOAD HERE

You...are AWESOME!  Thanks so much for this.  I was able to transfer my original G3F character, Katja, to GF8 with no problemo.  I had no luck using the transfer utility in the past.  But, your method is excellent.  I also noticed that I didn't have to change the figure to "base" before export.  Is that because you already did, or because G8F doesn't require it?

Here's Katja for G8F, wearing the Blood Red outfit and the Chandra Hair.  I'm using her G3F skin, which also has NGS2 shaders.

This really is a huge help for moving to G8.  It also means that I'll be able to continue to make new characters without worrying about them being obsolete.  Thanks a MILLION!

Oh she's really lovely! I saved the scene subset with G8F already at base res and posed, just to reduce the number of steps in the tutorial

• Redz said:
    Redz said:
    Redz said:
    Redz said:

Redz said:

DOWNLOAD HERE

Thanks! smiley 

When I try to export and choose To: Daz Studio and uncheck 'Write Groups' the to changes to: "custom". If I choose to: Daz studio again the White Groups becomes checked again. Is it supposed to work like this or am I doing something wrong?

No just leave it at custom after you've chose Daz and unchecked write groups. 

Thanks for the reply! :) What does zero the figure mean?

Select G8F in the scene. Over on the parameters tab click the box with four lines and an arrow, and select Zero = Zero Figure. It just makes sure you're loading your morphs onto a clean, unmorphed G8F

Thank you so much for the tutorial and the replies! smiley I'm a beginner at Daz but I could easily follow the tutorial, I have succesfully transfered my Lara morph to G8, she seams to be in working order except for the distortion in the wrists as you can see in the render:

G3 on the left, G8 on the right

Is there a way to make the transfer without the distortion? 

Very welcome. It all comes down to how well the G3F and G8F shapes match up to begin with, Some shapes are trickier than others. Here is an alternative file you can use with the tutorial which may give you straighter wrists, but I can't guarantee without having the character to test.

Alt Clone File Download

Unfortunatly it didn't help, it gave bigger distortions. But it's not so much distortion using your original clone, it can probably be hiden with posing and/or photoshop afterwards. Thank you so much for this! heart I have successfully transfered several of my custom characters and some Daz originals too, like Aiko 7. I found that some extreme shapes works less well, like the Star 2, her hands vere wery distorted, but Aiko 7 has only some slitght problems with the fingertips.

• Redz said:
    Redz said:

DOWNLOAD HERE

Oh she's really lovely! I saved the scene subset with G8F already at base res and posed, just to reduce the number of steps in the tutorial

Thought maybe that was it...good thinking.  This is huge.  For those of us that don't want to rebuy every morph and skin utility, we can still use what we have already purchased.  Most of my body morphs are done from Measure Metrics / Figure Metrics with some shape tweaking from both free and Merchant Resources.  My skins come from various sources and utilities as well.  So, I'm really grateful not to have to rush to buy all new G8 specific morphs and such.  I'm sure that I will get the new tools as they appear.  But for now, I'm super stoked to be able to use the dozens of characters that I've already purchased or created with the new G8F.

Thanks again.  Your system is about as simple as using GenX2.  I'll probably go through one dull evening and just export morphs...LOL.  Now if someone will just write a script so your utility can be automated to export everything at once to G8...(wishful thinking...).

I guess I will be buying that pose converter after all...

• ForceXForceX Posts: 52

I was able to use ZBrush to transfer a character from G3 to G8. It took about 15min but you get good results. This works because the G3/G8 use the same mesh topology for the head, torso, & most of the leg.

The process goes something like:

1. Load G8 & your morphed G3 character.

2. Adjust the scale of one of the characters to more closely match the size of the other. I would say match the arms as closely as you can.

3. Adjust G8 arms & legs position to closely match the G3.

4. Send both of them to ZBrush and save each as its own OBJ.

5. Import the G3 OBJ back into ZBrush & set poly groups to = UV groups.

6. Hide all poly groups except for the Head and store as a morph target.

7. Import your G8 OBJ. Do the same as above set the poly groups as the UV groups. Hide all Polly groups except the head and apply the morph. You should see the morph take place. 

8. Export the morphed G8 and over write the G8 OBJ file.

9. Import the G3 OBJ do the process again except this time do the torso.

The Legs are a bit different.

1. Import the G3 and do the process again leaving only the legs visible. Now hide the foot starting at just above the ankle where the first complete edge loop goes around the leg.

2.Store this as your morph target.

3. Import the G8 OBJ and perform the same visible masking as before and apply the morph.

4. Select the feet and move them into place.

The arms cannot be morphed at all but you can use ZProject to re-shape them to a sub tool aka the G3 mesh.

The eyes and mouth will need to be moved into position manually but this is easy to do. The mouth may be morphable but I have not tried it yet.

Next send back to DAZ and update your G8 figure as a morph. Dial in the morph and set the rig to match the new shape. 

Dont worry about the eye lashes if you save the morph as a morph asset then they will conform on load.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited June 2017

@Redz Thank you so much for the tutorial! I used it to get Anneka over to G8F, without the horns (I like her better without them.)

For some reason, the shoulders look weird if I dial in too much of it, so here it is with just 25% dialed in, which looks fine because the skin is so good. I noticed this happens when trying to bring over long, creepy nail morphs too. Something is different in the arms and affecting the shoulders. Not a biggie, as I dug around and found some nail morphs for V8 in the Pro pack and went with those. 

On my next try, I may just bring over the head morphs since those are the most crucial.

And wow, I am loving the new expression and posing abilities on G8. Makes a HUGE difference! 

G8-Anneka4.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 292K
    Post edited by Llynara on

Another thing: if you want to transfer a character that you have created using MORPHS packs for Genesis 3 - Gen3 and Gen8 morphs are named identically, you can just save as > shaping preset on genesis 3 and use that same injection on Genesis 8 without transferring anything, same morphs WILL apply. This goes only for morphs packs (head and body) and their combinations though :) 

*Squeal!* Really? Thanks so much. I've been using DS for two years but there's still so much I don't know how to do ;). Thank you.

Laurie

• Llynara said:

@Redz Thank you so much for the tutorial! I used it to get Anneka over to G8F, without the horns (I like her better without them.)

For some reason, the shoulders look weird if I dial in too much of it, so here it is with just 25% dialed in, which looks fine because the skin is so good. I noticed this happens when trying to bring over long, creepy nail morphs too. Something is different in the arms and affecting the shoulders. Not a biggie, as I dug around and found some nail morphs for V8 in the Pro pack and went with those. 

On my next try, I may just bring over the head morphs since those are the most crucial.

And wow, I am loving the new expression and posing abilities on G8. Makes a HUGE difference! 

Wow...I never really like Anneka that much before.  But, you've really brought her to life.  I'm getting really excited about G8 now that I know I can use my G3F characters with her new capabilities.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    Redz said:

DOWNLOAD HERE

I'm attempting this right now. First thing I got was this error message:

The following files can not be found: data/daz 3d/genesis 3/female/morphs/3d universe/toongenerations2/base/ctrl3dutoongenerations2_adjustage.dsf

Is that a file I need to be able to do it? Or will it be ok without it?

Redz said:

DOWNLOAD HERE

The following files can not be found: data/daz 3d/genesis 3/female/morphs/3d universe/toongenerations2/base/ctrl3dutoongenerations2_adjustage.dsf

I think you can ignore that. For some reason it's not set to zero by default, but I don't think it affects G3F unless the toon generations morph is applied. 

• AtiAti Posts: 9,078
    Redz said:

DOWNLOAD HERE

I had that error, but the final morph turned out to be perfect, so I say you can safely ignore that warning.

Redz said:
    Redz said:

DOWNLOAD HERE

I think you can ignore that. For some reason it's not set to zero by default, but I don't think it affects G3F unless the toon generations morph is applied. 

OH MY GOODNESS! This came out so good! I just transfered Callie 6 to G8F!

AMAZING! You're my hero, Redz! heart

Redz said:
    Redz said:

DOWNLOAD HERE

OH MY GOODNESS! This came out so good! I just transfered Callie 6 to G8F!

AMAZING! You're my hero, Redz! heart

Yay! Glad it worked out for you. :) 

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    edited June 2017

I had the error message too, but pressed ahead since I went into it convinced it wasn't going to work anyway (Redz, forgive my lack of faith!). It worked, and I'm chuffed to little mint-balls. It wasn't even that difficult either, and once the technique becomes familiar enough to be practically automatic, it should be a doddle to transfer another morph in the odd spare ten minutes available here and there.

Anyway, here's the head shape of Zarina for G3F - on G8F :) I never thought I'd be seeing something like that in my runtime so soon. She's wearing a Skin Builder 3 texture instead of Zarina's original and will be getting plenty of use. Thank you so much for sharing, Redz. I'm so pleased with how this came out and am looking forward to getting a few more transferred over.

Zarina_G8.png
    600 x 800 - 572K
    Post edited by BlueIrene on
  • I had the error message too, but pressed ahead since I went into it convinced it wasn't going to work anyway (Redz, forgive my lack of faith!). It worked, and I'm chuffed to little mint-balls. It wasn't even that difficult either, and once the technique becomes familiar enough to be practically automatic, it should be a doddle to transfer another morph in the odd spare ten minutes available here and there.

Anyway, here's the head shape of Zarina for G3F - on G8F :) I never thought I'd be seeing something like that in my runtime so soon. She's wearing a Skin Builder 3 texture instead of Zarina's original and will be getting plenty of use. Thank you so much for sharing, Redz. I'm so pleased with how this came out and am looking forward to getting a few more transferred over.

Totally awesome!

I had the error message too, but pressed ahead since I went into it convinced it wasn't going to work anyway (Redz, forgive my lack of faith!). It worked, and I'm chuffed to little mint-balls. It wasn't even that difficult either, and once the technique becomes familiar enough to be practically automatic, it should be a doddle to transfer another morph in the odd spare ten minutes available here and there.

Fantastic! She came out beautifully! 

Callie 6 dialed in at 40% to G8F - I think she's adorable! :) Thank you again Redz! You've made my year! 

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

Thanks, guys, and good to see you back again Diva. I've loved all of those I've seen on the thread. I feel like Redz has given us a lifetime of Christmases all at once here :)

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,436

Callie 6 dialed in at 40% to G8F - I think she's adorable! :) Thank you again Redz! You've made my year! 

Did you convert Callie 6 from Gen2 straight to Gen8. Or did you convert from Gen2 via Gen3, then onto Gen8? 

Thanks, guys, and good to see you back again Diva. I've loved all of those I've seen on the thread. I feel like Redz has given us a lifetime of Christmases all at once here :)

Thanks, Astracadia, it's good to be back. :) And I argree with the lifetime of Christmases from Redz. lol This is awesome! 

Here's Josh Crockett's Hag for G3F....turned out great....er, awful. Beautifully awful. LOL Even the more extreme morphs come over nice. Thank you again Redz! :D

Laurie

G3F Hag on G8F.jpg
    1160 x 1800 - 715K
    AllenArt said:

Here's Josh Crockett's Hag for G3F....turned out great....er, awful. Beautifully awful. LOL Even the more extreme morphs come over nice. Thank you again Redz! :D

Laurie

Hehe oh my she's scary!! If only the Hd morphs were transferable, but hey, I'm thrilled with the HD expressions