Apparently the DAZ Install Manager is about ready

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

This might be slightly off topic but, I prefer one runtime as well. Now I have downloaded DIM and want to try it but I'm wondering if there is a limit on how much content should be in one runtime? I'm talking gigs. Can I install all 1200 or so items in the same runtime? Is that advisable?

Also, this may have already been asked, but if I uninstall and reinstall using DIM, will that affect saved scenes and the data in the Data folder?

I have 20+G downloaded using DIM if that helps you .
    My old scenes work fine .

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Um, is anybody else having issues with new products not appearing? I just bought a bunch of stuff, and none of them are appearing in my "ready to download" list. These include The Folly, the Genesis version of Jaguar Hair (amongst the other "now for Genesis" products), and the Genesis Head Morph Resource Kit 4.

I've tried setting my filters to include all programs, but they still won't appear. Instead, all I can download are stuff that I bought forever ago, such as Way Spirit for A3.

It's like they're concentrating so much on converting old content to work with Daz Studio 4.5 (a lot of Gen 3 stuff has been tagged as 4.5 files, so I assume they're doing something with them to warrent that) that they're forgetting to check if their new stuff actually works in the DIM.

try again seem to be working now .

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,713
    edited December 1969

Um, is anybody else having issues with new products not appearing? I just bought a bunch of stuff, and none of them are appearing in my "ready to download" list. These include The Folly, the Genesis version of Jaguar Hair (amongst the other "now for Genesis" products), and the Genesis Head Morph Resource Kit 4.

I've tried setting my filters to include all programs, but they still won't appear. Instead, all I can download are stuff that I bought forever ago, such as Way Spirit for A3.

It's like they're concentrating so much on converting old content to work with Daz Studio 4.5 (a lot of Gen 3 stuff has been tagged as 4.5 files, so I assume they're doing something with them to warrent that) that they're forgetting to check if their new stuff actually works in the DIM.

New stuff is still delivered as .exe installers, they need to be converted to zips before they'll work with DIM. May take some time before that happens.

edited February 2013

bigh said:

try again seem to be working now .

So new stuff now comes in zip format also? AFAIK DIM only works for zip files.

Post edited by Taoz on
  • SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

New stuff is still exe. I don't know why the delay for some new prods and not others. I waited 4 days for one last week. Waiting on 1 now. Both cases all other items in the orders came in DIM within a very short period of time.

I just downloaded one I'm waiting for. It's definitely an exe file.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

My understanding is that new items are available as exe's via My Downloadable Products, or as zips through DIM.

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited February 2013

So they really are putting a lot of concentration into getting older products (including products from back in the Gen 3 days) to work through DIM while letting newer products go by the wayside?

That makes no sense. Surely the stuff they're actually releasing now should have higher priority? That's like saying "right, before we get physics to work in Daz 4.5, we should get physics to work in Daz 1.2 first".

Post edited by TheNathanParable on
    edited December 1969

My understanding is that new items are available as exe's via My Downloadable Products, or as zips through DIM.

So older items can be downloaded as zips from the download page (I've downloade many), but not newer stuff? Bad for those who don't want to use DIM, but still want the files as zips.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

This might be slightly off topic but, I prefer one runtime as well. Now I have downloaded DIM and want to try it but I'm wondering if there is a limit on how much content should be in one runtime? I'm talking gigs. Can I install all 1200 or so items in the same runtime? Is that advisable?

Also, this may have already been asked, but if I uninstall and reinstall using DIM, will that affect saved scenes and the data in the Data folder?

I have 150GB in one content folder and I know people who have several hundred GB.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

@BishounenTaurus: Seems like they're doing both older and newer stuff at the same time. It is true that a bunch of older stuff is already available in DIM while not all new stuff is. I don't think the plan is to prioritize the old stuff at the expense of the new stuff though...

@Taozen: That's my understanding, but I'm not 100% sure. Keep in mind that one can use DIM to download even if you don't want to use it as an installer.

edited December 1969

So they really are putting a lot of concentration into getting older products (including products from back in the Gen 3 days) to work through DIM while letting newer products go by the wayside?

That makes no sense. Surely the stuff they're actually releasing now should have higher priority? That's like saying "right, before we get physics to work in Daz 4.5, we should get physics to work in Daz 1.2 first".

Try again, I know they had a problem with one of the servers earlier today that was causing new purchases not to show up for some people.

edited December 1969

Taozen said:

So older items can be downloaded as zips from the download page (I've downloade many), but not newer stuff? Bad for those who don't want to use DIM, but still want the files as zips.

Eventually the download page will have zips as well.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Taozen said:

The old stuff in Downloads that is zips is things were the old Mac installer didn't work with new Macs. They were converted to zips some time ago.
    As for new stuff: when they have converted everything, new stuff will be zips too.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Finally got around to trying the DIM and was pleasantly surprised at how well it works.

One suggestion for an additional feature that I would like to see is a way to program it to start the queue downloading at a specific time. That way I could take advantage of off peak times we have 250gbs that we don't use much of the bandwidth during off peak times while we use most of the 250 gb during peak time.

• Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 541
    edited December 1969

I have 150GB in one content folder and I know people who have several hundred GB.

Cool. Thanks and thanks to Bigh too.

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited December 1969

Try again, I know they had a problem with one of the servers earlier today that was causing new purchases not to show up for some people.

Ah thank goodness, they're appearing now.

edited December 1969

Another question please.

What does it mean when the installation failed? I've had two products (textures) fail but the CF does fine.

Dana - http://www.daz3d.com/dana
    Isa - http://www.daz3d.com/aiko-4-isa-realistic-textures

Anyone know why these would fail?

Thanks.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

Normally with a fail you just need to do it again.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Normally with a fail you just need to do it again.

I did that already. Multiple times. I'll wait and see if anyone else has experienced this.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

They had a few issues with the serves yesterday that was making it so some things weren't showing up. I had a pack the other day it took me 3 tries to get it to finally go through.

• DarkRavenDarkRaven Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

I do have to say I'm loving the new DAZ install Manager. I had hesitance prior to installing it because of the having to clear our my run-times and then re-install since usually in the past that took forever but I talked myself into doing it and I have to say it was pretty face in re-installing everything.

After doing so I found out that most of my old stuff now have meta data so they appear in the smart content tab of daz studio which I really like since I don't have to go hunt and finding everything in the other tab. Even Michael 2 is showing in the smart content tab. :)

I also noticed the other day that when I loaded up the installer it showed an updated version of a product I had purchased so that was pretty sweet.

The only thing I'm not like about it and I'm not sure what is going on but I've had to go and agree on EULA multiple times before I could access my account. It should retain the information on the account that I had click agree the first time but other than that it went fast on downloading files and installing was quick and I didn't have to click next and click next and click next just to get the installers to install the content.

I'm a happy camper on the DAZ Install Manager.

Mike

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

The only thing I’m not like about it and I’m not sure what is going on but I’ve had to go and agree on EULA multiple times before I could access my account. It should retain the information on the account that I had click agree the first time but other than that it went fast on downloading files and installing was quick and I didn’t have to click next and click next and click next just to get the installers to install the content.

The only thing I can think of here, do you have the new site listed as having cookies 'Allowed' I think it must use that to keep track of the EULA agreement. I have only had to do it twice, and the second time was a few days after the first one, when the EULA had changed.

edited December 1969

Ok, I did an experiment today. I installed a product (Hats Hats by nathy) and it installed just fine. Then I went to my Genesis > Props folder where I found a folder for Nathy with Hats Hats under it. I moved the Hats Hats folder out of Nathy's folder. Then I uninstalled the Hats Hats using DIM. I guess since I moved that folder, DIM didn't find it. It unstalled everything else. So, is there a way around this or do we just have to realized that if we move a folder under Libraries, DIM won't find it? I live the system I have set up now but if I let DIM take over the system, stuff will be all over the place under Libraries with no organization.

Am I understanding this right?

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Ok, I did an experiment today. I installed a product (Hats Hats by nathy) and it installed just fine. Then I went to my Genesis > Props folder where I found a folder for Nathy with Hats Hats under it. I moved the Hats Hats folder out of Nathy's folder. Then I uninstalled the Hats Hats using DIM. I guess since I moved that folder, DIM didn't find it. It unstalled everything else. So, is there a way around this or do we just have to realized that if we move a folder under Libraries, DIM won't find it? I live the system I have set up now but if I let DIM take over the system, stuff will be all over the place under Libraries with no organization.

In my experiences with Smart Content, Meta Data and DIM you MUST do all the moving around WITHIN DAZ Studio. If you do it via Explorer in Windows (or what ever the equivalent is under MAC) it will flub up stuff and yea, DIM or Smart can't find it after it's moved.

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

In my experiences with Smart Content, Meta Data and DIM you MUST do all the moving around WITHIN DAZ Studio. If you do it via Explorer in Windows (or what ever the equivalent is under MAC) it will flub up stuff and yea, DIM or Smart can't find it after it's moved.

Ahhhh, that makes sense. Ok, will give it another go. I've only installed like 12 items. Mostly testing and seeing what it is like. Once I figure it out, I'll install the other 1200 items. LOL

edited December 1969

Yes, if you move folders around DIM won't uninstall them (but it will still tell you about updates).

edited December 1969

Another question please.

What does it mean when the installation failed? I've had two products (textures) fail but the CF does fine.

Thanks.

I just tried Isa and there were no problems. Does the product work?

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

The only thing I’m not like about it and I’m not sure what is going on but I’ve had to go and agree on EULA multiple times before I could access my account. It should retain the information on the account that I had click agree the first time but other than that it went fast on downloading files and installing was quick and I didn’t have to click next and click next and click next just to get the installers to install the content.

The only thing I can think of here, do you have the new site listed as having cookies 'Allowed' I think it must use that to keep track of the EULA agreement. I have only had to do it twice, and the second time was a few days after the first one, when the EULA had changed.

Yep. I did it twice too. Once when I first installed DIM, and the second time on site after a purchase. I wondered whether DIM would ask me again, it didn't so it had read from a cookie I had okay'ed the eula changes.

edited December 1969

Another question please.

Thanks.

It's not there, it didn't install. Just the CF file installed. Wish there was some error log to tell me why it failed.
    Ah well. Will move on to other stuff.

edited December 1969

Another question please.

Thanks.

It's not there, it didn't install. Just the CF file installed. Wish there was some error log to tell me why it failed.
    Ah well. Will move on to other stuff.

If you click on the settings icon (the gear), in the lower left corner is a "Show Log" button.
    You may want to delete the zip and dsx and redownload.