Apparently the DAZ Install Manager is about ready

Comments

• Korvis BlackKorvis Black Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Looks like a lot of people have had positive comments about the new install manager.

So, from what I understand, all I have to do is uninstall the 360 or so products I have installed and just let DIM re-install everything.

Since I have always used the default install locations, always creating uninstallers, and have done no modifications it should work without a hitch, right?

My only concern is about my library of .duf files that I have already created. Will they all be accessible after doing the re-installation?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Yes, as long as you reinstall the products you used. Make sure you save the Data folder from your old installation if you are installing to a new location -- .duf files will recreate the data files if they don't exist, but it's quicker if they're already there.

• CymbidiumCymbidium Posts: 213
    edited December 1969

Another question please.

What does it mean when the installation failed? I've had two products (textures) fail but the CF does fine.

Dana - http://www.daz3d.com/dana
    Isa - http://www.daz3d.com/aiko-4-isa-realistic-textures

Anyone know why these would fail?

Thanks.

Don't know about those particular files, but I had a whole load of Dream Home poser files fail to install, even though I had installed many others at the same time without problem. I had started to install them to my existing Poser runtime (which is not recommended), which I think was the problem. The log file mentioned something about not being able to extract a certain file (Daz weblinks I think) for each of the failed installs. I then tried installing those problem files to a dummy runtime and they installed without a hitch, no errors. Then I moved them over into my proper runtime. I think maybe the problem was there was an existing file in the runtime already which was newer than the one being copied and so DIM wouldn't/couldn't overwrite it........? Only a theory obviously, don't know exactly what went wrong.

• Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 541
    edited December 1969

Cymbidium said:
    Another question please.

What does it mean when the installation failed? I've had two products (textures) fail but the CF does fine.

Dana - http://www.daz3d.com/dana
    Isa - http://www.daz3d.com/aiko-4-isa-realistic-textures

Anyone know why these would fail?

Thanks.

Don't know about those particular files, but I had a whole load of Dream Home poser files fail to install, even though I had installed many others at the same time without problem. I had started to install them to my existing Poser runtime (which is not recommended), which I think was the problem. The log file mentioned something about not being able to extract a certain file (Daz weblinks I think) for each of the failed installs. I then tried installing those problem files to a dummy runtime and they installed without a hitch, no errors. Then I moved them over into my proper runtime. I think maybe the problem was there was an existing file in the runtime already which was newer than the one being copied and so DIM wouldn't/couldn't overwrite it........? Only a theory obviously, don't know exactly what went wrong.

Will give that a go. Thanks for the tip!

edited December 1969

You're very welcome - hope it works for you too! :)

• edited December 1969

Have to say I’m impressed by DIM. I threw away my runtime (actually took the chance to throw everything away and do a clean re-install of Studio). Set the DIM running in the background, and it’s happily munching through some 2000+ installs withzero input from me. No more click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click (last time I counted it was taking 13 clicks per installer). This is a much better solution—Good One DAZ!

• LocusSolusLocusSolus Posts: 59
    edited February 2013

Great! I've spent sunday afternoon to a full download (1072 items, hey...) then Installed them all (28 directories).
    All processed with ZERO errors. It's the first time I've got so many items installed at the same times. :)
    However, LOT of products are still missing, specially third parties's ones.

I think the DIM is steady and performing in its bêta and could be released now.

And just a modest request: In the "Installed" tab, there is room enough in each row to display the installed target directory of each item. Please add this column in the middle.

More, (if it's not too much demanding) if we could have this "Installed" sheet sorted by target directory, that would be a great bonus, imho with not so much code to be added by developpers.

Thanks a lot, long life to DIM! :)

Post edited by LocusSolus on
    edited December 1969

I'd like to add another feature request (please accept my apologies if there is already a way to do this....) -

Having just installed a few hundred POSER based products into a dummy runtime and then moved them into my usual Poser runtimes (which are separate to my DS runtimes), I then found that on opening DS 4.5 Pro there were lots of orphaned icons in Smart Content relating to these products. I realise this was because I moved them, however I wasn't expecting smart content to be processed for Poser products anyway. I then had to reset the database and re-import metadata, since the 'clear orphans' doesn't ever seem to work properly.

I was dismayed to find the listed metadata included all the Poser products I had just installed and didn't want in my DS smart content, since I use those products mainly in Poser, plus all the PCFs. I had to go through the list un-ticking hundreds of metadata files that I didn't want to be re-run, a time-consuming and very frustrating process. While I love the speed with which DIM downloads and installs, two features would be invaluable for me, and maybe other artists who use both Poser and DS separately, and would like to keep it that way.

* I would like to be able to choose NOT TO INSTALL metadata for Poser-related products, including Poser Companion Files, as one of the options in DIM.

* Also it would be nice if there was a way to filter out unwanted metadata with one or two clicks when reimporting it into DS.

Hope one of the techs can look into this, or advise me if there is already a way to do this. Thanks in advance for any help! :)

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited December 1969

Cymbidium said:
    I'd like to add another feature request (please accept my apologies if there is already a way to do this....) -

Having just installed a few hundred POSER based products into a dummy runtime and then moved them into my usual Poser runtimes (which are separate to my DS runtimes), I then found that on opening DS 4.5 Pro there were lots of orphaned icons in Smart Content relating to these products. I realise this was because I moved them, however I wasn't expecting smart content to be processed for Poser products anyway. I then had to reset the database and re-import metadata, since the 'clear orphans' doesn't ever seem to work properly.

I was dismayed to find the listed metadata included all the Poser products I had just installed and didn't want in my DS smart content, since I use those products mainly in Poser, plus all the PCFs. I had to go through the list un-ticking hundreds of metadata files that I didn't want to be re-run, a time-consuming and very frustrating process. While I love the speed with which DIM downloads and installs, two features would be invaluable for me, and maybe other artists who use both Poser and DS separately, and would like to keep it that way.

* I would like to be able to choose NOT TO INSTALL metadata for Poser-related products, including Poser Companion Files, as one of the options in DIM.

* Also it would be nice if there was a way to filter out unwanted metadata with one or two clicks when reimporting it into DS.

Hope one of the techs can look into this, or advise me if there is already a way to do this. Thanks in advance for any help! :)

I second this request. I have the same problem. I don't want the Poser files showing up in Smart Content pane. That not make any sense. Why I would need see .mc6 and .pz2 (specially those without .dsa/.duf counterparts). In fact, why include this files in Product's metadata? If Poser application does not read the metadata provided is unnecessary include those files in the metadata package. Seems the metadata team is using the metadata as a package manifest. We don't need this, it is annoying.

There are DS packages which brings the Poser files and they are absolutely useless.

Smart_Content_and_useless_Poser_files.jpg
    1019 x 953 - 424K
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I don't know about any of the rest of your questions, but if you look at the PZ2 examples, you will see that they hav a little scroll icon at the top left hand side, which means that, because you are inside DAZ Studio, the DS version of the MAT file will be used, and the PZ2 will be ignored.

edited December 1969

I don't know about any of the rest of your questions, but if you look at the PZ2 examples, you will see that they hav a little scroll icon at the top left hand side, which means that, because you are inside DAZ Studio, the DS version of the MAT file will be used, and the PZ2 will be ignored.

I know about that, but the product comes with the appropriate .duf files to apply the materials. So this .pz2 files and their .dsa counterparts are necessary only for Poser users and DS4 users once it does not read .duf files. So their should be included in the Poser installer and DS4 users should use that installer.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited February 2013

If you look at the DIM settings you can set it so that only DS4.0 and DS4.5 files are Downloaded and Installed. If you do not want the Poser files installed turn that off in the options. Tip DS3 and DS2 files also install Poser files.

EDIT: Some items come in Both Versions even for DS4.5 because the PA's support both Programs. Nothing can be done about that except hand installing. Just use DIM as a Downloader.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

MBusch said:

I know about that, but the product comes with the appropriate .duf files to apply the materials. So this .pz2 files and their .dsa counterparts are necessary only for Poser users and DS4 users once it does not read .duf files. So their should be included in the Poser installer and DS4 users should use that installer.

I agree. When creating some new characters yesterday I kept running into pz2's and mc6 files. If DAZ INSISTS there is no harm in showing these then I ask that they allow a sorting to hide "Poser Native Files - MAT", "Poser Native Files - CR2" and "Poser Native Files - PP2" If given 3 options it will allow us to still load up CR2's and PP2's since many geom's are still being made by 3rd party merchants and freebie makers but provide .ds, dsf or duf files to load up mats.

edited December 1969

I decided to do a clean reinstall of products (saved my data folder though) using DIM. Also started looking at Smart Content for the first time. I LOVE how quick I can get things installed using DIM. I also like Smart Content. So I'm thinking between the two, managing your content could become very easy. I used to dread when I had to reinstall everything, it would take a few weeks to run the installers and then organize the runtime.

I am wondering if after installing using DIM, can you organize the smart content like I organize the runtime? Yes I am a control freak with my content. LOL Sorry but I just looked at smart content this weekend and only found a couple of videos that explain what smart content is but not how to manage it.

Thanks.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    If you look at the DIM settings you can set it so that only DS4.0 and DS4.5 files are Downloaded and Installed. If you do not want the Poser files installed turn that off in the options. Tip DS3 and DS2 files also install Poser files.

EDIT: Some items come in Both Versions even for DS4.5 because the PA's support both Programs. Nothing can be done about that except hand installing. Just use DIM as a Downloader.

You are not getting the point. It is not true that nothing can be done. I am asking to not declare this files in the Metadata, because they are irrelevant for DS users. As simple as that. I just delete the file references in the product entry to get my Smart Content view clear, but I will never be able to do a "Scan Know Directories for File..." because all this uncategorized files will show up as unassigned. Not really a big deal, but it is possible make this a little bit easy for users and developers.

I have only DAZ Studio 4.5 checked in DIM's settings, but even so, the installer loads 3 different files to do the same function. Apply a material preset. One for DS4.5 (.duf), one for DS4 (.pz2/.dsa), and one for Poser (.pz2/.mc6)... seriously? It is unnecessary to categorize those Poser files in the metadata.

The people responsible for make the installers are placing a lot of burden in their shoulders to make an infinite number of installers and the metadata team a lot more putting useless information in the metadata file. Information which will not be used by Poser and is unnecessary for DS.

What is that DS 4.5, DS4, DS3, Poser have in common? It is essentially the Textures folder inside the Runtime folder. I can count in the fingers of one hand how many times I see different textures for one application to another. So, make a Base installer for those common files, basically the Textures folder and sometimes the Morph and Geometry folders. Now, make a different installer for each application with those files that are specific for each one. Something like as they are doing with the Poser Companion Files, but unfortunately they are creating Metadata and Product entries for this files. I have no idea why they do that... Poser ignores this information.

edited December 1969

Houston, I have a doubt: when a product's installer update shows in DIM, should I uninstall the previous installation before download and install the update or DIM will do it without my intervention?

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040
    edited December 1969

MBusch said:
    Houston, I have a doubt: when a product's installer update shows in DIM, should I uninstall the previous installation before download and install the update or DIM will do it without my intervention?

From what I understand, DIM will do the uninstall first and then run the install. This is to prevent orphaned objects being left around.

edited December 1969

I decided to do a clean reinstall of products (saved my data folder though) using DIM. Also started looking at Smart Content for the first time. I LOVE how quick I can get things installed using DIM. I also like Smart Content. So I'm thinking between the two, managing your content could become very easy. I used to dread when I had to reinstall everything, it would take a few weeks to run the installers and then organize the runtime.

I am wondering if after installing using DIM, can you organize the smart content like I organize the runtime? Yes I am a control freak with my content. LOL Sorry but I just looked at smart content this weekend and only found a couple of videos that explain what smart content is but not how to manage it.

Thanks.

You can categorize Smart Content items -- I use my own categories outside of Default, so I can filter Smart Content on my own categories.

edited December 1969

Cymbidium said:

I know I reported one PCF file that had metadata, but all the others I've looked at don't have metadata. Were these PCF's installed with DIM in a clean content folder?

I did put in a feature request to hide multiple versions of the same item (e.g. don't show .daz/.dsa/.dsf if there are .duf's, hide .pz2/.mc6 if there are stand-alone DS presets).

edited February 2013

Cymbidium said:

I know I reported one PCF file that had metadata, but all the others I've looked at don't have metadata. Were these PCF's installed with DIM in a clean content folder?

I did put in a feature request to hide multiple versions of the same item (e.g. don't show .daz/.dsa/.dsf if there are .duf's, hide .pz2/.mc6 if there are stand-alone DS presets).

Can you tell me where is your bug report? As I was thinking about the same issue, I would like to monitoring it and maybe add some note to it.

Post edited by MBusch on
    edited December 1969

Thanks.

You can categorize Smart Content items -- I use my own categories outside of Default, so I can filter Smart Content on my own categories.

Thanks but I'll work on smart content later. It's just too overwhelming right now. Some of the stuff is not showing up, some of the stuff has no picture, some has the yellow exclamation, and I still can't find how to move stuff or categorize it. So I'll wait a bit on it.

I do like the DIM though. Makes installing easy.

edited December 1969

MBusch said:
    Cymbidium said:

Can you tell me where is your bug report? As I was thinking about the same issue, I would like to monitoring it and maybe add some note to it.

https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=48090
    Looking at it now, I see I didn't mention .pz2/.mc6

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Well, as there are still items that don't have DazStudio files and DazStudio only users will have to use these Poserfiles (and tweak the settings in the surface pane) it does make sense to me that there are metadata for Poser files too.

edited February 2013

Kerya said:
    Well, as there are still items that don't have DazStudio files and DazStudio only users will have to use these Poserfiles (and tweak the settings in the surface pane) it does make sense to me that there are metadata for Poser files too.

For sure, old products which lacks their appropriate DS files should be declared in their proper metadata manifest, but only in those specific cases. In all other situations they are useless from a DS user point of view.

There are more problems with this. The metadata team are messing the Root Compatibility Base because they are not only creating duplicate entries in Smart Content pane and Content Library's Product section, they are creating duplicate entries in the Root Compatibility Base as well.

See the screenshot. The Folly is a texture set for Curator Aquarium. If you read the metadata for The Folly, it has its compatibility assigned to Curator Aquarium, while Curator Aquarium has its compatibility assigned to Curator Aquarium DS. So, when you select Curator Aquarium in the Scene pane and look at Smart Content pane, it only shows one texture set because the products are not sharing the same compatibilities. This is wrong and It is not an isolated case, see the GIS products in the screenshot. They share the same problem.

Screen_Shot_2013-02-20_at_06.22_.01_.jpg
    795 x 1060 - 108K
    Curator_Aquarium_duplicate_Compatibility_Base.jpg
    528 x 732 - 63K
    Post edited by MBusch on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Older items - and newer items were you have Poser and DazStudio files in the same folder.
    (Something which I, personally, prefer)

edited February 2013

Kerya said:
    Older items - and newer items were you have Poser and DazStudio files in the same folder.
    (Something which I, personally, prefer)

Sure, I agree with this. Nowadays,where the files are located at system level is irrelevant to DS users. Using Smart Content or Categorization in the Content Library leaves you free to get organized as you want wherever the files are in the system. For those people which choose to navigate and organize their stuff in the folder hierarchy this conversation does not make any sense. %-P

Post edited by MBusch on
    edited December 1969

Cymbidium said:

I am slowly reinstalling things with DIM, in relatively small batches, so some of the PCFs were installed with DIM into a clean content folder and some already installed prior to DIM. The PCFs are all installed to the DS main content folders (My Library for prior installs and My DAZ 3D Library for DIM installs). I install my non-Genesis poser based products into two separate runtimes. The poser products installed with DIM were first installed to a clean dummy runtime and then physically moved via Windows into my two normal poser runtimes. Maybe I will add to your feature request in the Bug Tracker. I see from a later post that you have given a link.

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 617
    edited December 1969

Cymbidium said:

Related to what Cymbidium requested, having the option of selecting the destination locations as being for DAZ or Poser would be far more useful.

I'm a computer maintenance technician. From my job experience, it's better to set up the C:\ drive for an Operating System and another Hard Drive for programs, especially resource intensive Gigaprograms like Poser, Bryce, DS, Carrara, etc... Since the hard drive holding the OS gets far more wear & tear, such practice allows the C:\ drive to be modestly sized, & therefore, cheaper, and more easily replaced in the event of drive failure and you don't lose as much as the humongous-sized hard drives used for expensively installed programs. (of course, it pays to have numerous & frequent backups of both your system and data drives)

As a result, I not really enjoying the fact that DS insists on putting ALL content into a library located in my personal user location--which is in the C:\ drive.

Also, since I'm primarily a Poser user, and most of my purchases were for Poser-based products, I would've really liked the DIM to have at least detected, or even given me the option of telling it where to look for, my Poser installation. As it is, it detected both versions of DS on my machine (3 & 4.5--of which I'm only using the later)

Dispite those short-comings, I found the DIM to be a fairly useful & convenient way of backing up most all of my purchases from DAZ3D in one fell swoop. One thing I did discover and liked about it was being able to direct DIM to make the install to one of my Data hard drives and it put them into a masive Runtime folder--now I'll have to check it out to see if Poser 7 can swallow this monster or if I need to resort as I have done in the past.

edited December 1969

Ryuu, I've opened a feature request in the Mantis bug reporter:

https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=49502

Why don't you add your comments to it? I agree it is amazing how quickly DIM can dload and install files!! :) Not sure whether I'm creating future probs for myself by increasing the size of my installed runtimes either......I would previously have installed most non-genesis products into either Poser or DS runtimes, depending on where they were originally created, but it is too easy now to install into both. ;0)

edited December 1969

Ryuu, you don't have to install content to the default location. I have all my content folders on a separate drive.