Apparently the DAZ Install Manager is about ready

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

The DIM is a superb tool, and most people love it.

You can simply use to download your content, you don't need to use it to install content as well, but you do have the option. It also informs you of updates for any content that you have installed using it, but you can still do things the old way if you like, nobody has said taht will be stopped.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    62 pages and not all good,

I think I'm going to keep my eggs out of this particular basket. Just so long as we can continue to do things in the conventional way I'll be happy. I don't bother with the CMS or smart content and Studio runs like a dream.

I'm definitely of the 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it!' mindset where this is concerned. Please give us the choice to carry on as we have been....

CHEERS!

I would like to point out that the majority of the "not all good" posts were from before it was actually in anyone's hands. :)
  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited February 2013

Fair enough,

I'm happy with the status quo I guess. The idea of uninstalling everything I already have and potentially not being able to get it back doesn't thrill me.

If it works for you guys, do it.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,532
    edited December 1969

Yeah, it is the uninstall it all thing that I don't have time for.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Do you have to uninstall everything all at once? I would think you could probably do it in batches of, say, all items that are related to one another, and once you're satisfied they're all working correctly, go on to the next batch. It's easy enough to keep a plain text file of what you've uninstalled and reinstalled with DIM. So it will take a while. At least you'll still have all your installed products available for use whether they're still installed the old way, or have been uninstalled and reinstalled the new way.

I only find that to be a long process, not an overwhelming one.

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    Do you have to uninstall everything all at once? I would think you could probably do it in batches of, say, all items that are related to one another, and once you're satisfied they're all working correctly, go on to the next batch. It's easy enough to keep a plain text file of what you've uninstalled and reinstalled with DIM. So it will take a while. At least you'll still have all your installed products available for use whether they're still installed the old way, or have been uninstalled and reinstalled the new way.

I only find that to be a long process, not an overwhelming one.

I made my reinstallation in this way. It worked very well to me. Below, my post in another thread. Maybe it can be useful for someone.

Here is a hybrid method to re-install your DAZ stuff without break your current working setup. It works best for people who not moved the installed files from they default location and those which have the product’s uninstallers. If you use metadata to organize your stuff, export the User data using the Content Database Maintenance. Make a copy of your metadata folder located at your actual main Runtime:Support to any safe location.

1) Create a new empty content folder at any place where you want.

2) Set up this new folder as an installation directory in DIM.

3) Map the new content folder in DS using the Content Directory Manager and put it at the top of the list.

4) Download the products which you want re-install unchecking the “Install After Download” option in DIM’s Ready to Install panel.

5) Go to Uninstallers folder in your old content directory and uninstall any product which you want re-install using DIM.

6) Re-install the product using DIM.

7) Repeat with every each product which you want re-install

This allows me to continue my work without breaking my current workflow. This process is working very well to me. I hope it works for someone of you.

Notes:
    - You can use your current working directory to re-install your stuff using this method, but as we know, some uninstallers are faulty and did not delete all previously installed files.
    - Install a product over a previous installation is not a good idea because you will mess old and new files which sometimes have different names at all. A clean folder assures that you will get the most recent files and they are not messed with residual files. Most recent files are not necessarily better than older… some older metadata files works while some new are faulty. One more reason to make a copy of previous metadata. You can replace a damaged metadata file with one from your backup.
    - Some products have a different name when installed by DIM, so some metadata customization can be lost in the process. You will need fix this manually merging the new .dsx file with that one customized in a text editor (you made a backup, remember), or re-customizing it in the Content DB Editor.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

Spooky is there a place we should report missing items like bundles and such? This way they can get it as complete as quickly as possible.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

-_Milo_- said:
    Spooky is there a place we should report missing items like bundles and such? This way they can get it as complete as quickly as possible.

https://bugs.daz3d.com/login_page.php
    Under Projects (to the upper right of the screen), there is a category DAZ3D Install Manager.

edited February 2013

You can extoll the virtues ad nauseam,

You should see my itemised order history, that's one shedload of content there. I've only just got things back the way I want them in DS after several years of not using it at all, to go and potentially undo all that isn't a prospect I really relish no matter how long it may take.

Just because one can do something doesn't always mean you should. Sorry to be negative, but, I'd rather just download installers the usual way rather than let something do it for me. It's been that way here since forever and I don't really see a need to change that.

CHEERS!

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    -_Milo_- said:

https://bugs.daz3d.com/login_page.php
    Under Projects (to the upper right of the screen), there is a category DAZ3D Install Manager.

Thanks!

• GrattersGratters Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Now I'm a bit of a paradox; in some areas I'm an early adopter and in others I am as negative as an electron on steroids.

I read the many pages and vacillated over the 'should I or not.' I am also one of those that always chooses custom installation and switches all the option off, therefore not having uninstallers to hand.

I bit the bullet and deleted my content in a low tech way (I went and had evening meal whilst it worked), uninstalled Studio then did a clean install and added the DIM into the mix.

On first run, it found 600 or so items of purchased content - I set it running at an average speed of 1.1Mb/s. It crashed about 5 times before completing the job (by that I mean d/l speed dropped to 0 and a message appeared about continuing offline).

Now this past week has been busy but roughly every day or two, just checking the DIM has revealed 30 - 70 extra items that have been added to the 'ready to download' tab from my purchased content. Also a fwe updates have shown up too.

Now, as I say, I have not had time to do any art this week so it has not been a big issue, and since I have just moved to a cheaper, unlimited download tariff, it has not been painful either. I am now getting antsy waiting for the rest of my content to 'appear' so that it is all part of the same DIM recognised catalogue.

That's my few pence - on the whole, I'm glad I did it, but can totally understand reluctance to rock a stable boat.

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited February 2013

Rogerbee said:
    . . . I've only just got things back the way I want them in DS after several years of not using it at all, to go and potentially undo all that isn't a prospect I really relish no matter how long it may take . . .
    Anything that comes with metadata I install in its default location and rely the CMS and Smart Content tab, but anything without metadata I install in C:\Users\KickAir8P\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\Old Content and reorganize it the way I've been doing for years (thank you jakiblue). That's why I get so stroppy when a product's metadata is borked -- can't use the new way, can't use the old way . . . :-S

You can extoll the virtues ad nauseam, You should see my itemised order history, that's one shedload of content there . . . Just because one can do something doesn't always mean you should. Sorry to be negative, but, I'd rather just download installers the usual way rather than let something do it for me . . .

I'm really looking forward to using the DIM, but . . . not yet. I've also got a huge amount of content from DAZ, and no desire to hear my ISP squawking about bandwidth limits or hitting me with an overage charge. This tool should be able to read the metadata of previously properly-installed content to avoid unnecessary downloading, and give the user better control over what's being downloaded and installed. When it does? I'm in.
    Post edited by KickAir 8P on
    edited February 2013

Gratters said:
    Now I'm a bit of a paradox; in some areas I'm an early adopter and in others I am as negative as an electron on steroids.

I read the many pages and vacillated over the 'should I or not.' I am also one of those that always chooses custom installation and switches all the option off, therefore not having uninstallers to hand.

I bit the bullet and deleted my content in a low tech way (I went and had evening meal whilst it worked), uninstalled Studio then did a clean install and added the DIM into the mix.

On first run, it found 600 or so items of purchased content - I set it running at an average speed of 1.1Mb/s. It crashed about 5 times before completing the job (by that I mean d/l speed dropped to 0 and a message appeared about continuing offline).

Now this past week has been busy but roughly every day or two, just checking the DIM has revealed 30 - 70 extra items that have been added to the 'ready to download' tab from my purchased content. Also a fwe updates have shown up too.

Now, as I say, I have not had time to do any art this week so it has not been a big issue, and since I have just moved to a cheaper, unlimited download tariff, it has not been painful either. I am now getting antsy waiting for the rest of my content to 'appear' so that it is all part of the same DIM recognised catalogue.

That's my few pence - on the whole, I'm glad I did it, but can totally understand reluctance to rock a stable boat.

Good post,

Well put and certainly gives one something to think about. I've only actually had DS again for only a month or so and getting used to that after years of solely using Poser has been interesting and more than rewarding. As far as I can see it, a product such as this should remain an optional extra for now and maybe be incorporated into DS5.

After many years of Poser use and indeed Poser content vendor use I guess downloading and installing things from zip files and installers is what I've grown accustomed to. Also, a lot of other software manufacturers have recommended disabling download or install managers when it comes to their software, so, I'm guessing you could imagine my thoughts when Daz decided to launch something other software companies don't recommend.

If you guys like it, use it, but try not to force anyone that doesn't want to into using it

CHEERS!

• daveleitzdaveleitz Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

I use Ubuntu for my internet browsing and purchasing. I install to my MS Windows partition offline. Let's keep the old method around for those of us that do things a little differently...

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited December 1969

DIM isn't mandatory. You can still download everything the way you been doing it for years.

edited December 1969

Thanks Frank,

Glad to hear it.

Carry on chaps!

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    You can extoll the virtues ad nauseam,

You should see my itemised order history, that's one shedload of content there. I've only just got things back the way I want them in DS after several years of not using it at all, to go and potentially undo all that isn't a prospect I really relish no matter how long it may take.

Just because one can do something doesn't always mean you should. Sorry to be negative, but, I'd rather just download installers the usual way rather than let something do it for me. It's been that way here since forever and I don't really see a need to change that.

CHEERS!

May, I make a suggestion? The same one I have made a few times in this thread.

Try it before you dismiss it.

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Fair enough,

I'm happy with the status quo I guess. The idea of uninstalling everything I already have and potentially not being able to get it back doesn't thrill me.

CHEERS!Install it parallel for your test. My favorite comment I received on Install Manager is still
    “Holy bananas Batman! The last time I downloaded and installed 124 items in 9 minutes was - well uh, NEVER! This is going mach one! Top tool now it shows its potential at full speed.”
    CHRIS - 26FAHRENHEIT - PREMIER ARTIST

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited February 2013

I use DIM and absolutely love it. It's a huge improvement over what I was doing before (installing products manually and then neglecting to update them, or grudgingly doing updates one by one). So thank you and congratulations to DAZ_Spooky and everyone else who helped make it happen.

I expect most people, once they try it, will agree that it's fantastic, but like any tool, it's probably not for everyone--especially if you're happy with your current way of doing things. Uninstalling or deleting all your content is not a decision to be taken lightly. But, as others have said, you don't have to do that in order to try DIM: either install to a parallel or dummy location as DAZ_Spooky advised, or use it in a limited way for now (as a downloader only, or even just as a resource for finding current version numbers of your content, zip file sizes, and readme links).

Edited to add: for me, the bottom line is that less time spent downloading, installing, updating, and keeping track of my content means more time actually using it! :cheese:

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,276
    edited December 1969

I am in need of a bit of help.

Finally got to the current end of my downloads and I just used DIM to install the Genesis Starter Essentials to the default path, uninstalled it from My Library, changed the paths in the Content DB and checked -> orphaned files in my Content Library Categories. Everything appears under categories\default, and orphans under *my* folders categories. The very thing I feared in the start. I don't customise the install directories, I do all my sorting with my Categories. I tried a few things to see if I can sort it, messed stuff up, and I have just restored from my backup to get everything working again. I'm currently re-saving my *.daz scenes as *.duf, which I had planning to do before any reinstall anyway.

I can highlight and change the base path on each orphan but is there a way to change the base path on *all* orphans at the same time? As that is the only thing I can see making a clean install work for me. If not I am back to plan A - installing over My Library or manually installing, because I wont lose my Categories.

My internet connection is being flaky so I will probably be tomorrow before I can check back. thanks for any suggestions.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

You keep saying that.

I won't argue that a lot of people here are getting on well with DIM, but on the other hand how many are in the same boat as Rogerbee and myself? Using it to its full capabilities would mean exchanging a manual system I know well, am comfortable with and have used with no problems for years before we had D|S4 and the CMS, for a totally new system that automagically puts all my content where I don't want it (and won't let me have all my content yet anyway).

I don't use or need Categories, I don't use or need Smart content; my only use for DIM would be as a download/update manager. I'll have another look at it when it's out of beta, and when all the DAZ store content is visible to it — not before.

On the gripping hand, I haven't heard anything about the "unencrypted personal data in a Public folder" issue in the last few days. That would have to be resolved — to my satisfaction — before I'd consider installing DIM.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited February 2013

I think a nice edition to the DIM, since the Smart Content area really does break things up in to recognizable categories, would be for it to do a deep search for all the applicable files that would count as doubles for JUST the products installed and give the end user the option to delete those including the older DSF files.

So far I've gotten all the Character file doubles from my own categorization areas deleted but the clothing will be allot of work.

Smart Content still needs some work on categorizing things correctly (there are two shoe categories, why is that?)). I'm seeing areas that are incomplete. Like the genitals. It put the female gens in the right area and sub category but the male one was in the top most but not added to a sub category (Male). So I resaved the duf file and was able to add it myself to the Male category. I found body hair mixed in with head hair and re-categorized that. Facial hair was all over the place and managed to get all those in the right category. I'm sure many of the merchants are still feeling their way around all this so I'm not upset but thought I'd mention that there are some bits and pieces that need tweaking a bit more.

It would also be nice to have a drag and drop option within the Smart Content and have the meta data automatically updated to the new path!

Post edited by RAMWolff on
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Fair enough,

CHEERS!Install it parallel for your test. My favorite comment I received on Install Manager is still
    “Holy bananas Batman! The last time I downloaded and installed 124 items in 9 minutes was - well uh, NEVER! This is going mach one! Top tool now it shows its potential at full speed.”

I would but I only want one runtime and content folder and that doesn't work. I can't really see what it is like if it makes the system I am using not work the way I want it to. The uninstall part just freaks me out and I can see how much of a time suck it would be.

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Fair enough,

I would but I only want one runtime and content folder and that doesn't work. I can't really see what it is like if it makes the system I am using not work the way I want it to. The uninstall part just freaks me out and I can see how much of a time suck it would be.For a simple test to see if it is worth having for you? You do realize it also uninstalls just as fast, if not faster than it installs right?

• ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

On the gripping hand, I haven't heard anything about the "unencrypted personal data in a Public folder" issue in the last few days. That would have to be resolved — to my satisfaction — before I'd consider installing DIM.

That is the default directory, you can change the directory where the content installs to any directory you want. I personally use the program to install to a removeable drive.

ncamp

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

ncamp said:
    Rogerbee said:

That is the default directory, you can change the directory where the content installs to any directory you want. I personally use the program to install to a removeable drive.

ncamp

No, certain information - including the email address for each registered account and the file manifests for installed content - is stored in the Public documents folder. However, the name is misleading - as far as I know that is available only to people logged in to the PC with an account under Vista and later, as those versions of Windows do not support anonymous log ins. However, depending on circumstances that may not suit all users and I agree it is something that should be configurable.

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited February 2013

ncamp said:
    Rogerbee said:

ncamp

No, certain information - including the email address for each registered account and the file manifests for installed content - is stored in the Public documents folder. However, the name is misleading - as far as I know that is available only to people logged in to the PC with an account under Vista and later, as those versions of Windows do not support anonymous log ins. However, depending on circumstances that may not suit all users and I agree it is something that should be configurable.

It is not something that should be configurable, indeed the DIM's configuration files should be in their specific location and private spaces at the system level. In Mac they should be at /Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/InstallManager and in Windows at \\C\ProgramData\DAZ 3D\Install Manager. DIM's User Accounts folder should be system's user specific and located at /Users/username/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3 D/InstallManager/UserAccounts on Mac, and at \\C\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\UserAccounts. This is basic best practice programming... the developers should be know about this.

Post edited by MBusch on
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Fair enough,

I would but I only want one runtime and content folder and that doesn't work. I can't really see what it is like if it makes the system I am using not work the way I want it to. The uninstall part just freaks me out and I can see how much of a time suck it would be.For a simple test to see if it is worth having for you? You do realize it also uninstalls just as fast, if not faster than it installs right?

That doesn't really give me a valid point of reference though. But I may try it but a one shot thin in it's own directory doesn't show me much.

• Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 541
    edited December 1969

This might be slightly off topic but, I prefer one runtime as well. Now I have downloaded DIM and want to try it but I'm wondering if there is a limit on how much content should be in one runtime? I'm talking gigs. Can I install all 1200 or so items in the same runtime? Is that advisable?

Also, this may have already been asked, but if I uninstall and reinstall using DIM, will that affect saved scenes and the data in the Data folder?

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited December 1969

Um, is anybody else having issues with new products not appearing? I just bought a bunch of stuff, and none of them are appearing in my "ready to download" list. These include The Folly, the Genesis version of Jaguar Hair (amongst the other "now for Genesis" products), and the Genesis Head Morph Resource Kit 4.

I've tried setting my filters to include all programs, but they still won't appear. Instead, all I can download are stuff that I bought forever ago, such as Way Spirit for A3.

It's like they're concentrating so much on converting old content to work with Daz Studio 4.5 (a lot of Gen 3 stuff has been tagged as 4.5 files, so I assume they're doing something with them to warrent that) that they're forgetting to check if their new stuff actually works in the DIM.