Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

@barbult   Thank you. I really like her eyebrows (of course!) because they're thicker and quite natural looking where they begin. Nice individual hairs and slightly assymetrical.

edited June 2017

Novica's Top 5 for May 2017

I had to go back through page 80 for May 1st!  

Iray Ghost Light Kit 2       Render/Tutorial
    Mace For Genesis 3 Male           Render 1 (and 2)   Because well, he's Mace. Rugged.
    FW Carson HD for Michael 7 and LI Carson Whiskers       Render 1    And Carson holds his own for a modern day, suave man.
    Costume Jewelry Shaders for Iray     Render 1          Love these for clothes! 
    Iray Glassworx    Haven't tried for glass, but I like the variety for the backgrounds for portraits. Render 1   Render 2   Render 3

Special mention: If you need a good beach to bump up against other sets, try this one.  DA Palm Island    Render 1

Post edited by Novica on
  • sueyasueya Posts: 826
    edited June 2017

I hope it is ok to also add renders of Emma and Jordi Guys

This is FW Dan Megapack (collaboration with Fisty and Darc and Fred Winkler Art)

Lots of options with this pack - this portrait shows the no beard option and the watch which is one of three accessories included.

Post edited by sueya on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558

Adora looks good! I think EJ characters tend to look rather similar but you did a great job with that portrait.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited June 2017

For May

Niluk- featuring the Skin Builder 3 for Genesis 3 females I can't say enough good things about this one.

Gaurding the Marshlands - The Centaur is wearing Muelsfell Atlantis Armour which is absolutely stunning.

Lazy Afternoon - Knights Pavillion Lots of really nice medieval furniture in this one.  Its actually a large tent.

True Love - Ahmed by @DarwinsMishaps - the perfect fantasy guy lol.

Proud Mama - Deathstalker by Herschel Hoffmeyer - a very very cool monster

Post edited by IceDragonArt on

@sueya    Most definitely! Welcome to the thread, and thanks for sharing FW Dan!  I like the chiseled chin.

Adora looks good! I think EJ characters tend to look rather similar but you did a great job with that portrait.

They do tend to look quite similar, except when rendered- then I'm seeing more of a difference. I think I'll do a few of the gals side by side (just heads) 

There is something about the facial shape or nose that tends to look similar. Not really sure if I can explain it. Your lighting as usual is exceptional! =-)

edited June 2017

EJ Adora for Genesis 3 Female(s)      9 to 5 Dress Outfit for Genesis 3 Female(s)    Geneva Hair

EJ Agata for Genesis 3 Female(s)      New York Essence Fashion Outfit For Genesis 3 Female(s)      Kylan Hair for Genesis 3 Male(s) and Female(s)

Midnight Special Hair for Genesis 3 Female(s) 

Adora is on your right, Agata is on the left.

If you want to shrink down the Midnight Special Hair, adjust Head Scale to -72.3  and here's the kicker- adjust Hairline Wide to 732% and work from there. I did NOT like the fact there isn't a "lower the top" part, unless I missed it. (And there are a lot of morphs, so I possibly could have missed it. But I went over the sliders a couple times.) This is as "shrunk" as I could get it. 

As you can see, the gals are very, very different. I'm still experimenting with the others I bought, but I have to stay focused on other projects too so I'll be popping in and out. Thunderstorming and 4" of rain so far in a few hours, supposed to keep going until 4am. Roads are already flooded closed. (Go check the Pensacola FL radar on accuweather dot com. UGH. Stetson and pals are safe in their stalls, munching on hay without a care in the world. (Well, except for the thunder. But none of the horses in the barn are storm-scared. Thank goodness because it teaches other horses that fear.)  

Agata3Adora.png
    482 x 700 - 653K
    Agata.png
    482 x 700 - 648K
    Agata2.png
    482 x 700 - 620K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited June 2017

EJ Atsuko for Genesis 3 Female(s)  wearing Adventure Outfit and Astrid Hair for Genesis 3 Female(s) (first time featured, is in the featured stores discount) and  EJ Barbara for Genesis 3 Female(s)  wearing Autumn Chic and Jennifer Hair for Genesis 3 Female(s)   (same, first time featured, in featured stores.) 

It was hard to adjust the lighting in postwork because obviously Atsuko is much paler, more yellow. Again, I think both need some moisture/sheen added to the skin, based on this lighting. 

AtsukoBarbara.png
    782 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806
    edited June 2017

RGcincy's Top 4 for May

1. Animation Four-Wheeler Template    Example 1    Example 2    Example 3    Example 4    Example 5     The examples will show why this was my top choice for May.
    2. Iray Ghost Light Kit 2    Example 1    Example 2    Example 3     Example 4     Example 5    A great addition to the first Ghost Lights, makes interior Iray scenes so much faster to render.
    3. Shaded Sanctuary    Example    360 View    Goes together well with Medina Cityscape Generator.
    4. Factory Warehouse     Example     I like industrial settings and this has a nice used look. 
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,713

There is something about the facial shape or nose that tends to look similar. Not really sure if I can explain it. Your lighting as usual is exceptional! =-)

It's mostly around the eyes, afaict.

And agreed on the lighting!

edited June 2017

I think the models also have prominent bones and rounded features and if you look at the store, there are a number of girls with very similar looks, and mouths. The features seem... Hmm. Broader and more widely spaced. Foreheads are lower than typical .  It is  a stylistic thing, but I can always tell an EJ girl. Lower foreheads, rounder faces, and kind of motled painterly skins.

Post edited by Serene Night on

To me, it's also the slight puckers at the edges of the lips. None of the promos ever had the women smiling, so I wondered about the pulling of the lips. In these, didn't seem to be a problem, but I haven't done the larger smiles.

I tend to find genesis 3 smiles rather on the diabolical side. Very few faces seem to be able to pull off the wide toothy grin without looking like the Wolf that ate grandma.

I do wish characters were rendered with a variety of expressions, so we can see how flexible they are facially.

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

Isidorn's Top 3 for May

Impossible Objects - render with one of the reflective shaders that comes with the product, producing a rather interesting result. At least I think so.

Fast Fog Iray - render - Added here as just a thin mist by the floor, so not very prominent. But the render got 2nd place for the first half winners of the PC+ Monthly Contest, so at least it didn't spoil the image...

Arkangel - render - An old V4 skimp armour (though far from worst of its kind) that does iray conversion well, even if my lights were a bit too strong here...

Great promo renders of the EJ gals Novica. EJ is one of my favourite vendors so I'm glad to see they get a bit of extra spotlight.

I could probably do a gallery folder just for EJ Atsuko renders, so I'm only posting links here. The many looks of EJ Atsuko:

early try , in red1 , in red2 , here with EJ products Miss von Dark outfit and von Erthal Hair. Sneaky, in green, ghost bride, here and here with EJ product Symphony Hair, nude (DAZ approved) and lastly, here together with EJ Narumi and they are wearing EJ products Bejeweled Bundle 3, Yo Hipsta Outfit, Mucho Flow Outift, Sharonda Hair and Manhattan Hair.

I've got a few more with Atsuko, but that's probably more than enough spam as it is. cheeky More EJ products:

Here is EJ Agata with the red version of Miss von Dark Outfit and Sela Hair

Here is EJ Graciana wearing Sleepzzz Purr Outfit and the Symphony Hair. That hair she also wears here and here. In those last two, and this one, she's got the pointy teeth option applied.

Here is EJ Gloria with Saffron Hair, the violin from Violin Soul and the top is from Sweet Darling Outfit

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited June 2017

I've been working with "The Courtyard" for the Hidden Treasures thread, so I added EJ Estela to the scene. The Courtyard needs a lot of work to be usable for anything close up. But Estela turned out nice.

WIP with EJ Estela and The Courtyard, by L'Adair

EJ Estela in the Courtyard.png
    1800 x 1300 - 4M
    Post edited by L'Adair on
  • sueyasueya Posts: 826
    edited June 2017

This is another image of FW Dan Megapack which shows the variety of looks available in this megapak. I have used his detailed wolf tattoo, his dog tag, earrings and one of the expressions in the pack. 

Post edited by sueya on

@icedragonart   You can remove the Ghost Lights (original) from your top five picks and select another one if you'd like- you've already selected that in a previous month. wink

I'm getting Ron's Steam brushes, even though the $30 is a bit of a sticker shock. However, looking at it, there are 90 brushes and IMO the fire effects you can easily get with these brushes (yep, not just steam) are outstanding and don't look fake at all. It's no secret Ron was battling a challenging medical condition (I'm trying to recall if it was cancer) and I want to focus my funds there this week and get a product that is extremely useful. And reminder- brushes have been pulled before, so you aren't guaranteed they'll be there for "the next sale."  I remember SereneNight had gotten some brushes and I didn't, then I couldn't find them, they'd been pulled.

They were eventualy put back, I think it was the War Essentials. I was so ticked at myself!  Looking at the variety and number of brushes, I should have scooped them up.  Just saying. And yep, I took four characters out of my cart, because I don't NEED any more- and the brushes are unique. They've got more dense areas mixed with wisps, and larger areas that don't have to be scaled (which also makes ALL of it be scaled, not good, your small areas go bigger with the other brushes too) so these are great for fire.

L'Adair said:

I've been working with "The Courtyard" for the Hidden Treasures thread, so I added EJ Estela to the scene. The Courtyard needs a lot of work to be usable for anything close up. But Estela turned out nice.

WIP with EJ Estela and The Courtyard, by L'Adair

Yes she did, and I love the old-timey feel. That lighting from the side really highlights the cat well. Cute!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Fixed.  I just changed it to focus on the Knights Pavillion which is the interior scene I used.

It was cancer (Ron) and his brushes are fabulous!

It does have a nice older world feel to it L'Adair, and I think its the first time I have ever seen that parasol used. I like it!

I'm not sure when/if Fast Grab changed, I don't think I checked it yesterday. (We got over TEN inches of rain, many roads flooded and neighborhoods under 5 feet of water this morning. Most drained by 1pm, that's how good our sandy soil is!  Ours was perfectly fine. But I got distracted.)  Anyway, IH Kang has a nice business suit, and there's a swimsuit coverup/swimsuit that also has sandals. That coverup should be compatible with other swimsuits, and for $5.39 on those you might want to take a look.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,129

I'm so sad to have to pass on Ron's most recent brush sets. I have almost all of them up to and including "Dry Ice", but I got bitten by "Fireflies" when I didn't pay attention to the "CS6 and CC only" statement on the product page and found they won't work in Photoshop Elements.

I don't like (to put it mildly) Adobe's subscription approach so I'll never be able to upgrade from Elements to full PS. Ah well, I still have all the old set to play with, which I really love.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    MelanieL said:

I'm so sad to have to pass on Ron's most recent brush sets. I have almost all of them up to and including "Dry Ice", but I got bitten by "Fireflies" when I didn't pay attention to the "CS6 and CC only" statement on the product page and found they won't work in Photoshop Elements.

I don't like (to put it mildly) Adobe's subscription approach so I'll never be able to upgrade from Elements to full PS. Ah well, I still have all the old set to play with, which I really love.

I hear it's a royal pain to get customer service to help you, but it was still possible to puchase a perpetual license for CS6 products. I don't know if that's still the case, but it might be worth looking into. I actually upgraded to CS 5.5 during a promo and got CS6 for free. The year before they went to a subscription-only based service.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,129
    L'Adair said:
    MelanieL said:

I hear it's a royal pain to get customer service to help you, but it was still possible to puchase a perpetual license for CS6 products. I don't know if that's still the case, but it might be worth looking into. I actually upgraded to CS 5.5 during a promo and got CS6 for free. The year before they went to a subscription-only based service.

I came to within a hair's breadth of buying CS6 from Amazon some time ago after years of "oh I can't afford that", but I dithered for a day too long and it went out-of-stock - next thing I knew the subscription model came in! That'll teach me to dither. crying

Rons  first set was called war elements. It isn't quite the same as the new one called war essentials. I use both and there are differences.

edited June 2017

I took a dive into my EJ content and found EJ Tatijana. She's wearing Suzie Hair and the La Peligrosa Outfit and she sits on another of EJ's products. All materials are straight out of the box and there's no postwork.

LoveMeAsIAM.jpg
    2000 x 2500 - 2M
    Post edited by isidorn on
  • firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454
    Novica said:

@icedragonart   You can remove the Ghost Lights (original) from your top five picks and select another one if you'd like- you've already selected that in a previous month. wink

I'm getting Ron's Steam brushes, even though the $30 is a bit of a sticker shock. However, looking at it, there are 90 brushes and IMO the fire effects you can easily get with these brushes (yep, not just steam) are outstanding and don't look fake at all. It's no secret Ron was battling a challenging medical condition (I'm trying to recall if it was cancer) and I want to focus my funds there this week and get a product that is extremely useful. And reminder- brushes have been pulled before, so you aren't guaranteed they'll be there for "the next sale."  I remember SereneNight had gotten some brushes and I didn't, then I couldn't find them, they'd been pulled.

They were eventualy put back, I think it was the War Essentials. I was so ticked at myself!  Looking at the variety and number of brushes, I should have scooped them up.  Just saying. And yep, I took four characters out of my cart, because I don't NEED any more- and the brushes are unique. They've got more dense areas mixed with wisps, and larger areas that don't have to be scaled (which also makes ALL of it be scaled, not good, your small areas go bigger with the other brushes too) so these are great for fire.

I was going to pass on the Ron's brushes due to the high cost.  (Especially as I own 55 of his brush sets already.) His last two sets really jumped in price. Reconsidered due to your post. His brushes are always fantastic. I was going to wait on Ron's Steam brushes until a flash sale, but will buy them now in the hopes that people buing this set will make a dent in his medical bills.

edited June 2017

I love Deviney's work, but I can't use this particular set I'm afraid. I don't tend to like my smoke too articulated I like it more dispersed and foggy. Although I own smoke sets with articulated and detailed smoke, I tend to keep going back to the smoky foggy brushes from war elements. I don't unfortunately think I'd get much use from this.

Post edited by Serene Night on
This discussion has been closed.