Apparently the DAZ Install Manager is about ready

Comments

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    Another problem is that DAZ has created duplicate product entries (for the base product as well as the DS specifics) which in my view is totally unnecessary and doesn't add anything. I think they should keep the base content and DS content in the same product (even though it has multiple installers) and use the same metadata file for both.

The mess of multiple installers leading to multiple products with different metadata files and batch renaming products causes a number of duplicate product entries in Smart Content (see West Park below). Trust me - users only need to see "West Park" in Smart Content, not "West Park" and "West Park Ps" and "West Park StudioCF" and "West Park PartridgeInAPearTree".

It also causes the yellow triangles which show Studio ran into errors loading the DSX metadata file. This usually happens if the product name does not match the file name, or of there are duplicate product ID's. Still quite a mess for DAZ to sort out. I don't like my Smart Content looking like this.

Did you install both the Poser and the Studio versions of items such as West Park? If so I imagine you would get duplicates.. If, in filters you only selected Studio 4.5 (assuming you use 4.5 of course) you wouldn't even see the Poser version in your Ready to Download tab. That makes it easier for those who always use the Studio version of any product.

edited December 1969

SCRIPTS MENU

I switched out My Library for a clean (including CMS and metadata) My DAZ Library and everything works as expected mostly. My Library isn't hooked up at all, but there will be hidden places where it might be referred to.

In the beginning of time I had taken Genesis out of the default scene load and right-clicked on Genesis in Content and made an action instead. This placed the load of Genesis in my Script menu. It still works from My DAZ Library but was slower than I remember. UberEnv2 worked off the script menu, but UberSurface did not.

I just made sure I had what I needed in My DAZ Library (just had to copy over a few free scripts since the Uber stuff and a couple of other shaders were already there). Deleted all entries in the Script menu (edit/customization). Right-clicked and made actions for everything in my list except Plug-ins which I have yet to deal with (and they show up on different menus as well.)

All these new actions showed up in my Scripts menu again (they always have for me, no extra effort needed) and work fine. Genesis loads faster and is about as fast as I remember from pre-DIM days.

I haven't had my coffee yet, hope this is understandable.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

I have only selected Studio 4.5 files in the DIM...before when manually installing for some products I would have to d/l the studio and poser version to get all supporting product files. Is this still the way it works or do the new installers through the DIM include everything needed for that product? I am sure for some products I would fine part under poser library and some under studio library.

edited December 1969

kharma, I think the new files haven't done anything about that. You'll either have to check everything or go by memory.

Before DIM if there were versions for both Studio and Poser I'd use the Poser one (unless I knew for sure that the Studio ones worked better in Studio beyond just the materials). But I'd install BOTH into a temporary directory (so textures would be in one runtime if I decided to keep both) and check things out. If there was nothing special about the Studio files I'd merge the studio material files with the poser ones and trashed the Studio install.

Metadata complicated things a bit because I had to take extra care that it didn't get into the database for studio stuff that I didn't end up installing and for any poser stuff. I organized my runtimes my way and only allowed metadata for My Library.

DIM in one way is easier--for my studio library and genesis stuff but in another way (for my Poser and 3rd party stuff) it complicates things because the DIM installs metadata directly to the DB. So before I install anything to one of my runtimes I have to remember to turn the CMS off, then turn it on again before I run Studio. I know there will be plenty of times I forget.

edited December 1969

I think some of files state that there is only one installer for both studio and poser which makes that easier...but for other products I will just have to trial and error I can never remember if I need both files. IIRC for some of Lisa's botanicals I needed both such as heart of the matter and remember how to fly...others not so sure as I haven't installed too much at this point

• MoisheMoishe Posts: 4
    edited February 2013

Thank you for the DAZ install manager. It used to be a painful process to install DAZ content, but no more.

It would be nice if there were a way to streamline the uninstallation of previously installed content.

Also some of the assets fail download and I have to retry several times. I suspect you're getting a lot of load right now....

Post edited by Moishe on
    edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    Spit said:
    cridgit said:
    Another problem is that DAZ has created duplicate product entries (for the base product as well as the DS specifics) which in my view is totally unnecessary and doesn't add anything. I think they should keep the base content and DS content in the same product (even though it has multiple installers) and use the same metadata file for both.

The mess of multiple installers leading to multiple products with different metadata files and batch renaming products causes a number of duplicate product entries in Smart Content (see West Park below). Trust me - users only need to see "West Park" in Smart Content, not "West Park" and "West Park Ps" and "West Park StudioCF" and "West Park PartridgeInAPearTree".

It also causes the yellow triangles which show Studio ran into errors loading the DSX metadata file. This usually happens if the product name does not match the file name, or of there are duplicate product ID's. Still quite a mess for DAZ to sort out. I don't like my Smart Content looking like this.

Did you install both the Poser and the Studio versions of items such as West Park? If so I imagine you would get duplicates.. If, in filters you only selected Studio 4.5 (assuming you use 4.5 of course) you wouldn't even see the Poser version in your Ready to Download tab. That makes it easier for those who always use the Studio version of any product.

Nope I installed only the DS4.5 installers. The problem is that 1) it creates superfluous product entries (based on the installer rather than the product) and 2) many of the installers I've used don't include the base assets (CR2, PP2, poses etc.)

If you install DS files that have only Studio materials there should also be a PS version with the CR2s etc. If that didn't show up for you then it is missing or something and should be reported I'd think. As for (1) I don't understand how it works so just am taking your word for it. I have a few of those images with the '!' but haven't investigated.

edited May 2022

Redacted

• Zachary_WolfZachary_Wolf Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hello,

I stopped using DAZ quite a few months ago - I found the installation of all the products I was buying to be annoying and, there was a bug that showed 'space used' being a lot more than it really was.

I read the e-mail a few weeks ago, where the new DAZ Install Manager (DIM) was talked about - this got me quite exited to use the tools again.

I see in this thread that a lot of people are now using that tool. That's great!

I'm wondering how you got the tool? I have checked the downloads, the various products and such things and I don't see a link anywhere. I have read several pages in this thread, but didn't see an indicator as to where one could get access to the tool.

I'm thinking that perhaps only Platinum users have access to the tool right now, and I am happy to subscribe - though when I do, I'll most likely sign up for a year.

So, here are my questions:

Can I use the DAZ Install Manager (DIM) Now as a free user?

Can I use the DAZ Install Manager (DIM) As a Platinum Member?

Where can I down load the DIM?

If I can't use it now, When will I be able to use DIM?

I just want to make sure that when I pull the trigger on signing up as a Platinum Member again, that I will be able to use DIM to do my clean install.

I'm really looking forward to this, and appreciate any help offered.

Thank you.

Wade.

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited February 2013

I’ve heard they were sending the link to Platinum Club members at first.
    But it’s the very first result when you Google it, so I doubt its only for Platinums now.

Post edited by Soto on
    edited December 1969

Kharma said:
    I think some of files state that there is only one installer for both studio and poser which makes that easier...but for other products I will just have to trial and error I can never remember if I need both files. IIRC for some of Lisa's botanicals I needed both such as heart of the matter and remember how to fly...others not so sure as I haven't installed too much at this point

For the flowers it looks a little confusing. Most have 'only 1' file. And I think I see a couple are missing.

1) I'll turn of the CMS, install and examine to see what's up and
    2) since I don't think any have really been updated I'll install to a dummy folder and just continue to use what I've been using.

Then turn the CMS back on.

edited December 1969

Well, if you buy a product in the store, the last step where you get to click to go to your downloads, now it tells you about the Install Manager with a button to click. So you can get it that way.

In order to download the thing I got (which is something the installer doesn't handle) I had to click on my account to get there.

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

New purchases will show in the Manager in a couple of minutes. Some others are faster than others. But they get there in a moment.

edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    New purchases will show in the Manager in a couple of minutes. Some others are faster than others. But they get there in a moment.

Yeah, they do. I'm just showing the new way to download the DIM. But this was a purchase I have to download myself. It's not one DIM handles.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

In the last day or so logging in via the DIM has been very hit and miss. They must have allot of folks logged in and downloading. When I did get hooked in yesterday evening, finally, I was only able to download on product at a time.

edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    Kharma said:

While DIM goes a very long way to making content easier to install/update, this problem renders it useless for me, and no doubt for many other people.

That was exactly the point I was trying to make a few posts up - if I have to go by memory or check every product by hand to know whether I need to download a different install file, then I'm no better off than today because I have to check everything manually. If this is where DIM ends up, then DAZ would have thrown away a tool with incredible potential.

cridgit, I can understand your lack of enthusiasm for that part of having to check the files, but on the other hand I do find it a much easier and painless install...no click click click on next, accept,next...I think as I find I need support files for poser for some items I will be able to set DIM to poser files, pick and choose the ones needed, download,install...done! :)

edited May 2022

Redacted

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    edited December 1969

Kharma said:
    cridgit said:
    Kharma said:

While DIM goes a very long way to making content easier to install/update, this problem renders it useless for me, and no doubt for many other people.

That was exactly the point I was trying to make a few posts up - if I have to go by memory or check every product by hand to know whether I need to download a different install file, then I'm no better off than today because I have to check everything manually. If this is where DIM ends up, then DAZ would have thrown away a tool with incredible potential.

cridgit, I can understand your lack of enthusiasm for that part of having to check the files, but on the other hand I do find it a much easier and painless install...no click click click on next, accept,next...I think as I find I need support files for poser for some items I will be able to set DIM to poser files, pick and choose the ones needed, download,install...done! :)

Just plain zip files would be easier than the old installers!

Dana

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

I've run into situations where the data telling DIM whether you need to download the Poser version or just the DS version is incorrect, and reported a them when I have, but for the most part I'm finding the products tagged correctly. Given the number of products involved (I believe they said they'd done over 10000 of the 15000+ products in the store, and that was a few weeks ago), I'm not surprised there are some mistakes.

• djmulcahydjmulcahy Posts: 42
    edited February 2013

After uninstalling all of my DAZ content and then redownloading using the Install Manager, DS now tells me on startup that it cannot find the Genesis figure.

If I try to load a blank Genesis template manually, I get instead a blocky figure.

When I ran the Install Manager, I didn't play with any of the settings, just let it do what it thought best.

Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions?

Edit: Just tried to load Michael 5, and I receive an error saying the Michael 5 dsf does not exist. Was fine just yesterday before running the install manager.

Post edited by djmulcahy on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Did you install Genesis Starter Essentials with DIM?

• MBuschMBusch Posts: 547
    edited February 2013

djmulcahy said:
    After uninstalling all of my DAZ content and then redownloading using the Install Manager, DS now tells me on startup that it cannot find the Genesis figure.

If I try to load a blank Genesis template manually, I get instead a blocky figure.

When I ran the Install Manager, I didn't play with any of the settings, just let it do what it thought best.

Edit: Just tried to load Michael 5, and I receive an error saying the Michael 5 dsf does not exist. Was fine just yesterday before running the install manager.

If you not changed any of the settings, so you will need to map DAZ Studio to the default path where DIM installed the stuff, which is located at C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\My DAZ 3D Library

Post edited by MBusch on
  • MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited February 2013

I have probably missed it while going through this long thread.

I was checking and some bundles I have don't seem to have the products in DIM. Like the Dinosaur Bundle, there were several others I checked and not there. Some were there. Are the bundles still a WIP for getting everything there?

I am still a bit torn after spending a year getting my content re-organized. I use Carrara Primarily (so the Content Management is still in Flux there). I had such an issue remembering what went to what with such.. diverse.. folder naming systems. Right now if I want to find an animal, or a pose for V4, or a clothing for M3 its fast and simple. It would also be nice if the filters would be expanded such as Clothing V4. Or have Images so I could browse like I can in 3rd party database applications.

Post edited by Milo on
  • gheveyghevey Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

Quick observations.
    1. Program needs Pause/Resume button.
    2. Auto resume failed download.
    3. Automatically sign back into account after being disconnected.
    But still looks great to me.
    Thanks Daz

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

ghevey said:
    Quick observations.
    1. Program needs Pause/Resume button.
    2. Auto resume failed download.
    3. Automatically sign back into account after being disconnected.
    But still looks great to me.
    Thanks Daz

Agree on all points!

edited December 1969

I'd really like to see a column added that shows the SKU.

It may not be necessary when we're all set up, but now it's almost imperative. I'm comparing the product names with directories of installed exe files with the SKU in front. It often takes several tries to get the product to show up in the DIM (I may misspell a word, or there is an 'and' or if I enter only one word in search it is included in several files and I miss it, and 'sku::' and the number isn't that easy to type with my eyes and my dark keyboard. I'm a touch typist but my keyboard spacing is odd with no raised dots to let me feel where 'home' is and I have to wait for my eyes to adjust from the bright screen to the black keyboard.

• djmulcahydjmulcahy Posts: 42
    edited December 1969

MBusch said:
    djmulcahy said:

If you not changed any of the settings, so you will need to map DAZ Studio to the default path where DIM installed the stuff, which is located at C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\My DAZ 3D Library

Thanks!
    I didn't see this part in any tutorial, so just figured everything went where it was supposed to go. :)
    Everything seems to work now!

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

That information is in at least one of the Youtube tutorials that I watched.

DAZ Studio (any version) has always needed to know the path to your content, before it can be displayed.

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited February 2013

62 pages and not all good,

I think I'm going to keep my eggs out of this particular basket. Just so long as we can continue to do things in the conventional way I'll be happy. I don't bother with the CMS or smart content and Studio runs like a dream.

I'm definitely of the 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it!' mindset where this is concerned. Please give us the choice to carry on as we have been....

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on