Skin Builder 3 Merchant Resource for Genesis 3 Female (Commercial)

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

I plan to liberally just dive in and grab maps to do weird things with as I need (freckles as a metallic overlay, why not!)

Adds a lot of potential use beyond the already robust main functions.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited May 2017
    L'Adair said:

.Wouldn't it be easier to just copy the textures from the freckles folder and make another colorblend option from them? That way you could have whatever colour freckles you wanted, on whatever colour skin you wanted, whenever you wanted them. I wouldn't have thought this would take long to try, but I'm pushed for time at the moment so will see if it works later. Meanwhile, everyone else can point out the Obvious Flaws in the idea that are probably completely passing me by :)

Well, Color Blend me sheepish! You're right. I was so focused on the original question and Zev0's answer about overlays needing the color to be multiplicative, using Color Blend never occurred to me! But yours is a more elegant solution, by far.

Lol. My solutions are seldom to do with elegance and usually a lot more to do with extreme bone idleness - I think I was turning pale with the thought of all the effort you'd put in somewhere around Step 2 :) When a problem arises that requires something really substantial to solve then I'll definitely be looking to you :)

Well ... I hate to say this, but I have literally not the slightest idea what either of you is talking about. I mean, I see the freckles in the textures folder, and the images in the ColorBlend folder, and they're all grayscale images, and I have no idea what to do with them. The texture itself is already white, which makes sense for something using multiplicative blend, but in that case, how do you make it white? Is there some way to use the texture or something to tell the script that you want a normal blend and not multiplicative?

I understood L'Adair's original procedure. Not sure I'd ever have done it, because that is a lot of steps! But I understood it. This one, not so much.

Could you unpack it just a bit?

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    edited May 2017
    vwrangler said:
    L'Adair said:

.Wouldn't it be easier to just copy the textures from the freckles folder and make another colorblend option from them? That way you could have whatever colour freckles you wanted, on whatever colour skin you wanted, whenever you wanted them. I wouldn't have thought this would take long to try, but I'm pushed for time at the moment so will see if it works later. Meanwhile, everyone else can point out the Obvious Flaws in the idea that are probably completely passing me by :)

Well, Color Blend me sheepish! You're right. I was so focused on the original question and Zev0's answer about overlays needing the color to be multiplicative, using Color Blend never occurred to me! But yours is a more elegant solution, by far.

Lol. My solutions are seldom to do with elegance and usually a lot more to do with extreme bone idleness - I think I was turning pale with the thought of all the effort you'd put in somewhere around Step 2 :) When a problem arises that requires something really substantial to solve then I'll definitely be looking to you :)

Well ... I hate to say this, but I have literally not the slightest idea what either of you is talking about. I mean, I see the freckles in the textures folder, and the images in the ColorBlend folder, and they're all grayscale images, and I have no idea what to do with them. The texture itself is already white, which makes sense for something using multiplicative blend, but in that case, how do you make it white? Is there some way to use the texture or something to tell the script that you want a normal blend and not multiplicative?

I understood L'Adair's original procedure. Not sure I'd ever have done it, because that is a lot of steps! But I understood it. This one, not so much.

There's a 'normal' blend option next to the 'multiplicative' option under the ColorBlend tab. I really wish there was a 'glossy' slider too, so that we could make wet mud and blood, but I do understand why Zev0 wanted to restrict the potential unintended effects and mistakes users might make, especially having seen the questions in this thread alone that have been repeated - customer support must range from monotonous to nightmarish at times. Anyway, I've tried the ColorBlend technique for lighter coloured freckles and it does work, although you might want to apply the effect twice if you're looking for something a bit more extreme. I seem to be somehow pushed for time this week while still managing to achieve absolutely nothing, so this is just a really quick render showing the newly created option applied once, in white, at 100% visibility using the 'normal' blend and lit with Painter's Lights.

ColorBlend_Freckles.png
    600 x 800 - 409K
    Post edited by BlueIrene on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited May 2017
    vwrangler said:
    L'Adair said:

Okay. How about a step-by-step? All of this is done without opening Daz Studio

1. Browse to the folder, (directory,) where the Freckles materials are stored. ( [YourDazPath]\runtime\textures\SkinBuilderG3FMR\Overlay Details/Freckles )
    2. Select all the freckles files and copy. (On a PC, hit Ctrl+C. On a Mac... sorry I have no idea!)
    3. Browse to the folder where the Color Blend materials are stored. ( [YourDazPath]\runtime\textures\SkinBuilderG3FMR\ColorBlend )
    4. Paste the copies of the freckles materials into the Color Blend folder.
    5. Rename each of the freckles material files to the Color Blend naming convention: i..e. Head_Freckles_0M.jpg becomes Head_ColorBlend_3M.jpg; Arms_Freckles_0M.jpg becomes Arms_ColorBlend_3M.jpg; Legs_Freckles_0M.jpg becomes Legs_ColorBlend_3M.jpg; Torso_Freckles_0M.jpg becomes Torso_ColorBlend_3M.jpg.
    6. Please Note: The numbers must be consecutive, and there needs to be a material file for all four skin zones. I tested this. While the script will display the icons in numerical order, the numbe displayedin the window of the script is the number the script will look for. So if you named a set of files "Zone_ColorBlend_408M" and they showed up at the end as the 5th (5) option, the script would then look for Color Blend material files of "Zone_ColorBlend_5M.jpg" (or so my error messages stated.)
    7. You will need corresponding Icon files in the Resources folder, ( [YourDazPath]People\Genesis 3 Female\Materials\Skin Builder 3\Resources\ColorBlend )
    8. Browse to the folder where the Freckles Head icons are stored. ( [YourDazPath]People\Genesis 3 Female\Materials\Skin Builder 3\Resources\Overlay Details\Freckles\Head )
    9. Select and copy the ions for "Less" and "More".
    10. Paste these files into the Color Blend Resources folder,
    11. Rename the icon files to fit the naming convention: i.e FrecklesHead_00.png becomes ColorBlend_3.png; FrecklesHead_01.png becomes ColorBlend_4.png

I know this looks like a lot of work, and it is. But you only have to do it once. With my solution, you had to do it every time.

There is a way to set up Color Blend to apply your freckles to just the head or just the body. If any one is interested, just ask, and I'll create a step-by-step for that as well.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited May 2017
    L'Adair said:
    vwrangler said:

Okay. How about a step-by-step? All of this is done without opening Daz Studio

1. Browse to the folder, (directory,) where the Freckles materials are stored. ( [YourDazPath]\runtime\textures\SkinBuilderG3FMR\Overlay Details/Freckles )
    2. Select all the freckles files and copy. (On a PC, hit Ctrl+C. On a Mac... sorry I have no idea!)
    3. Browse to the folder where the Color Blend materials are stored. ( [YourDazPath]\runtime\textures\SkinBuilderG3FMR\ColorBlend )
    4. Paste the copies of the freckles materials into the Color Blend folder.
    5. Rename each of the freckles material files to the Color Blend naming convention: i..e. Head_Freckles_0M.jpg becomes Head_ColorBlend_3M.jpg; Arms_Freckles_0M.jpg becomes Arms_ColorBlend_3M.jpg; Legs_Freckles_0M.jpg becomes Legs_ColorBlend_3M.jpg; Torso_Freckles_0M.jpg becomes Torso_ColorBlend_3M.jpg.
    6. Please Note: The numbers must be consecutive, and there needs to be a material file for all four skin zones. I tested this. While the script will display the icons in numerical order, the numbe displayedin the window of the script is the number the script will look for. So if you named a set of files "Zone_ColorBlend_408M" and they showed up at the end as the 5th (5) option, the script would then look for Color Blend material files of "Zone_ColorBlend_5M.jpg" (or so my error messages stated.)
    7. You will need corresponding Icon files in the Resources folder, ( [YourDazPath]People\Genesis 3 Female\Materials\Skin Builder 3\Resources\ColorBlend )
    8. Browse to the folder where the Freckles Head icons are stored. ( [YourDazPath]People\Genesis 3 Female\Materials\Skin Builder 3\Resources\Overlay Details\Freckles\Head )
    9. Select and copy the ions for "Less" and "More".
    10. Paste these files into the Color Blend Resources folder,
    11. Rename the icon files to fit the naming convention: i.e FrecklesHead_00.png becomes ColorBlend_3.png; FrecklesHead_01.png becomes ColorBlend_4.png

I know this looks like a lot of work, and it is. But you only have to do it once. With my solution, you had to do it every time.

There is a way to set up Color Blend to apply your freckles to just the head or just the body. If any one is interested, just ask, and I'll create a step-by-step for that as well.

Oh, OK. THAT, I understand.

I tried using what I understood Astracadia's process to be (not remotely like that), and it not only didn't work, but profoundly failed to work in all sorts of interesting ways. Just shifting Color Blend to Normal and trying to apply Freckles alone left them invisible. Then I tried to shift Color Blend to Normal for the entire process, and aside from making her very red for some reason (SSS maps not blending properly, I expect), it made the script fail to finish at all. Base Skin just went off into the mists, working and working and working, and then when I finally gave up and exited Studio about ten minutes later, Studio didn't shut down properly and kept running in the background. I had to start and stop Studio twice more to get it to shut down and take all the Postgres processes with it.

So if I understand this process, you'd build your base skin as usual, flip Color Blend to Normal, then do the freckles (or whatever)?

I may give this one a shot. Thank you for explaining it so well!

EDIT: Tried it. Worked perfectly! Thank you!

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

That's more or less what I do, although since I noticed when I first started doing it that there are six material files asociated with each option, I've always added two plain black ones (genitals and head invert) to the four other material zones created for arms, head, legs and torso in case the script needs to go looking for them. I'll probably keep doing it that way because it's quick to do and I've got used to doing it like that now, but it's interesting to know that it doesn't seem to be necessary.

What's really interesting is the observation that the files associated with script options need to be named with a consecutive number and that gaps can't be left in the sequence. I've been doing it like this anyway and so haven't encountered a problem, but did wonder if I ought to have been leaving a gap in the numbering. If Zev0 ever does add new options then he'll have to start with the number after the one he left off with, and the options I've added will be overwritten. Not something that would be a huge and insurmountable problem provided users are reminded of it at some point before they go cheerfully unzipping new files into their folders, as people capable of adding their own options to the script ought to be capable of a bit of file renaming (although it would be a bit of a pain in the bum if you've added lots of them), but definitely something well worth knowing!

I'm a bit mystified about what you were doing before, vwrangler, but I'm glad you're sorted. L'Adair is definitely a much better teacher than I'd ever claim to be :)

vwrangler said:

Oh, OK. THAT, I understand.

I may give this one a shot. Thank you for explaining it so well!

EDIT: Tried it. Worked perfectly! Thank you!

You're welcome.

... L'Adair is definitely a much better teacher than I'd ever claim to be :)

Thank you. Occasionally, my tendency to be wordy pays off.
    laugh

edited May 2017

Edited.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited May 2017
    Edited.
    Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited May 2017

Hi guys. Updated version 1.2 should be available for download. Thanks.

- Fixed issue with broken documentation links on Mac
    - Changed default location of texture temp location to make it work when installed through DAZ Connect

Note to Add -  If your temp texture location is currently pointing to the connect folder for the product you need to change it to a non-connect folder of your choice.

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,570

...silly question, how does one know if it is a Connect folder?

Think it will assign to a cloud folder.

...so the path I see when I look at the tab for saving a skin setting as a preset is the Connect folder?  Interesting, as I am running the .166 beta and always check "Work Offline". 

I did see the update in the DIM but didn't download yet.  Are the fixes just the two mentioned above?

...interesting situation.  I notice after generating a new skin, the character's eyes render dark and have a thick dark line along the edge of the eyelids which wasn't there before.  Not sure what is causing this.  Using all Iray shaders and have SBP 3 set to Iray mode.

kyoto kid said:

...so the path I see when I look at the tab for saving a skin setting as a preset is the Connect folder?  Interesting, as I am running the .166 beta and always check "Work Offline". 

I did see the update in the DIM but didn't download yet.  Are the fixes just the two mentioned above?

No, the temp texture path. Saving points to where you want. The issue was connect forcing tempt files to the cloud.

...OK so as long as I check "work offline" I should be OK.

Well technically this fix should allow you to work online as well.

edited May 2017

....I never use Connect as I have my own custom runtime and library setup.  Since I am stuck with CPU rendering (cannot afford a decent GPU card) I never go online while working or rendering to conserve system resources.  FF tends to bloat to something like 1.5 - 1.7 GB and I only have 12 GB on the MB. Also not into dealing with the cloud at all.

On my other question, any clue as to why the eyes darken after creating and applying a new skin setting?

Post edited by kyoto kid on

I need screenshots please. So far the only thing we changed was how it handles connect issues.

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112

Just a question has this got any restriction on MR what figures can we use it on, or do we stick to what's written on the product page. Cheers great product by the way !

G3F only. It is mentioned in the MR agreement.

No worries mate, Wow you didn't make it easy to find that agreement Lol. Look forward to the next one cheers!

Yes I did. There is a button right there on the main script page:)

Wasn't looking in the right place sorry !

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,825
    kyoto kid said:

To try to avoid mis-information, the Cloud folder is a local folder on your machine used by Daz Connect (and it should be used only by Connect, not for other files, hence the need for an update to SB3). It has nothing to do with being online or offline.

Zev0 said:

I need screenshots please. So far the only thing we changed was how it handles connect issues.

...so for my needs installing the update is not really neceesary as I never use connect.

I'll have to redo the process to get screen shots of the eye issue.  Will try to post them later this evening. 

kyoto kid said:

To try to avoid mis-information, the Cloud folder is a local folder on your machine used by Daz Connect (and it should be used only by Connect, not for other files, hence the need for an update to SB3). It has nothing to do with being online or offline.

...apologies, when I hear the term "cloud" with relation to computing, it usually means (to me) putting files on someone else's server, not my own system.

....apologies again for not getting that screen shot.  RL has a habit of messing with one's best laid plans.

• GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,481
    edited May 2017

Now I am cooking with gas, Baby!

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379
    edited May 2017

Looking great for a character from my story!

Post edited by Chohole on