formerly male content creation thread

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 14,997

For re-topology, there is a free mesh converter available. Check out the explanation and video at

http://igl.ethz.ch/projects/instant-meshes/

edited May 2017

Custom Morph Tutorial Starts Here

Well, it has been a long time.  But Misty's innovations with the Genesis 3 figures have re-energized me, as have some experiments with dynamic plugins.  I intend to create some custom G3M character morphs and custom G3M clothing before the 3rd annual "Its Raining Men" challenge, which I hope occurs in the Fall.  The intention here is to show one workflow to create a custom shape for G3M that changes its limb proportions in relation to the torso.  A clothing set will be created with the custom G3M shape as the target shape, but that can also be used to autofit to the default G3M and several other common shapes. 

First up, I will show screenshots for a workflow to create the custom figure shape morphs when limb proportions change.  This workflow relies on the Daz content creation links, Beto's genesis character screenshots, and a great video tutorials by Sickleyield and Josh Darling.  I will be using Carrara, but you can use any program to create the morphs.  Many people are likely to use Blender, Hexagon, ZBrush, Sculptris, Silo.  It doesn't matter as long as you can retain the mesh dimensions and location when exporting and importing from Studio for the morphloader tools.  And remember, do not add or subtract any vertexes. 

Hellboy's Daz Studio Forum Simplified Guide to Content Creation

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14421/simplified-guide-to-genesis-content-creation/p1

Beto's Art Studio Forum Genesis Character Screenshots

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/13415/modeling-a-character-for-genesis/p1

Josh Darling channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtqhpxQyGa7fm0LPoDz4s4A

Sickleyield video

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited May 2017

My project will be to create a major adventure character - a villain.  My villain needs to be able to run away fast!  That means longer legs.  Contrary to what you might think from Di Vinci, human proportions can vary.  For this particular project, I want a figure better at running than swimming, and thus the limbs will be longer in relation to the torso.  Although I will be doing it while making the figure taller, height is not the actual factor.  Someone can be short and still have long limbs in relation to the torso.  For an interesting aside, google TED talk Jesse Owens Usain Bolt.  The comparion of a great Olympic swimmer to a great Olympic runner was fascinating (to me).

In any case, the screenshots that follow will show screenshots for one workflow to create (a) custom figure proportions for G3M and (b) custom clothes designed for those proportions that can be used on other figures as well.

edited May 2017

Creating Custom Character Morphs for G3M including Proportion changes.

You can use any modeling app that you want to create the change in the shape of the G3M mesh.  The important things to remember are

- keep the same number of vertexes, that means eliminate smoothing if you export from Studio to your app, and do not add or subtract vertexes once in your app. 

- do not change the scale or origin of the mesh, that means be careful if you export your mesh and have to import it back

The basic workflow will be to

- access the G3M mesh at base resolution in your modeling app

- manipulate the mesh shape as desired without adding or subtracting vertexes and save to new name

- use Studio's morph loader to access your new named morph or morphs

- use Studio's joint/rigging tools to adjust the G3M skeleton to your mesh's changed proportions

- use the ERC freeze tool to limit the skeleto changes to just your morph (very imortant!)

- save the asset for future use

edited May 2017

I will be using Carrara to edit the mesh, but just ignore that.  Use what you want - remembering to not change the number of vertexes and keeping scale on export and import.  Carrara will be easier for me because I can load it natively with Misty's adapted G3 for carrara characters.  Therefore, I don't have to worry about scaling issues as long as I use the correct import and export presets. 

Here is G3M loaded in Carrara (using Misty's character - otherwise will crash).

I have applied a checker Danskin shader to avoid TOS issues.

In the following, I will be lengthening the limbs, with calves/forearms slightly longer than thighs/biceps.

I will also make a few minor changes to some of the major muscle groups but nothing like a bodybuilder.

aa01 load Mistys g3m in Carrara do not have to worry about scale.JPG
    1915 x 1028 - 199K
    aa02 checker shader so not worry about forum TOS.JPG
    1913 x 1020 - 265K
    aa03 morph plans for limbs length.jpg
    600 x 600 - 33K
    aa04 morph plans for muscle groups proprtion change.jpg
    600 x 600 - 36K
    edited May 2017

First, make sure the mesh resolution is correct.  What does that mean?  Studio applies smoothing to its models, which increases the number of vertexes. If you send your model to Hexagon using the Studio brdge, make sure to set smoothing to zero in Hexagon.  If you are exporting to Blender or another modeling program, set the Studio resolution to zero before exporting.

I am in Carrara, so I do this in Carrara's modeling room.  I select the "actor" level of the G3M group in the lower right.  I click the wrench in the upper right to enter the modeling room.

I get a protected topology warning, which I just ignore.

I select any polygon which brings up the editing menu on the right.  I set smoothing to zero.

And here is a little aside.  I will not be moving the bottom of the feet.  That way the figure will stay on the floor when poses are applied in Studio. 

aa05 in Carrara select actor level and click wrench.JPG
    1556 x 1030 - 242K
    aa06 Carrara give protected topology warning just ignore.JPG
    1728 x 988 - 168K
    aa08 maybe no necessary but i prefer to not move feet so figure stays at zero zero zero.JPG
    681 x 446 - 36K
    dd01b.jpg
    1719 x 1000 - 376K
    edited May 2017

Whichever modeling app you choose, you will want to be familiar with the tools to move vertexes around, select multiple vertexes, preserve symmetry, and influence nearby vertexes. 

For rigged figures like G3M, Carrara's tools to move vertexes around include the translate arrows (and hot keys), the magnet tool, and the displacement brush.

Selection tools include box, lasso, and paint tools on the lower left and specialty tool for lines, points, faces, invert, between, loop, ring, etc. in the upper right.

If a point/line/face is active, the option to turn on symmetry appears in the righthand box.

Similarly, if a selection is active, the option to turn on soft select and adjust its parameters appears on the right.

ee01b tools.jpg
    1141 x 790 - 224K
    ee02b selection tools.jpg
    1917 x 784 - 343K
    ee03b symmetry.jpg
    1359 x 965 - 337K
    ee04b soft select.jpg
    1101 x 645 - 224K
    edited May 2017

If desired, you can prepare reference images to help you shape your morphs.  How you do that may vary among applications, but it is worth finding out how.  If references are not built in, you can typically insert a couple of planes with reference images applied.

In Carrara, add reference images using the global tab.  There are checkboxes for front/back, etc. 

To see the front/back reference image you must be using the front camera, not the director's camera. In Carrara, change the camera in the upper left.  Use the view menu to adjust scale. I inserted Curly as an example.

ee06b global tab.jpg
    1389 x 911 - 322K
    ee07b front camera.jpg
    1916 x 1012 - 450K
    edited May 2017

I won't go through all of my edits.  Just enough to illustrate the process.  The details will vary a little from modeling app to modeling app.  However, the basic workflow involves selecting vertexes and moving them around.  This can be done with vertex manipulation tools like translate, or it can be done with sculpting tools like a brush.  Here are a couple of examples that use the tools within Carrara. 

First, I wanted to lengthen the shins.  With symmetry turned on, I selected all of the mesh above the ankles and made sure soft-select was at my desired setting.  I noted that the selection started at z = 349.

I used the tanslate tools (z axis arrow or a hot key) to move the mesh upwards.  In this case, I move up to z = 366.

I repeated the process for the thighs.  However, I did not move upwards quite so much.  I started at z = 433.

I moved up to z = 441.  I am only noting these numbers so that you can confirm that my plan was to lengthen extemities relatively more.  I don't really pay close attention to the numbers - but you could.

aa15 select all above ankle soft select.JPG
    1212 x 935 - 150K
    aa16 move z axis from 349 to 366.JPG
    1205 x 963 - 152K
    aa17 repeat for thighs select all upper.JPG
    1242 x 1033 - 157K
    aa18 move z axis 433 to 441.JPG
    1251 x 937 - 144K
    edited May 2017

I repeated the same process for the arms.  However, I only selected the arms on one side.  With symmetry on, I translated in the X axis.  Note that the figure's arms are bent in the default pose so adjust x extension as desired.  Similar to the legs, I lengthened the forearms more than the biceps.

aa20 repeat for arms one side note use arrows with self select not enter numbers 205 x axis to 210.JPG
    1581 x 1009 - 177K
    aa21 repeat forearms 253 x axis to 263.JPG
    1595 x 945 - 166K
    edited May 2017

I made some other proportion changes, but  won't go through them all because I just want to illustrate the process.  For example, I Iengthened the neck and fingers a little.  In addition to selecting vertexes indivudally and in groups to move around, you might use a modeling app that adjusts the mesh with a brush.  I will show an example of that next.

You can see in the attached pic a comparison of G3M with limbs extended with the default G3M.  Note that the feet remained on the floor.

aa19 compare change to default figure see feet in same place but taller changedproportion legs to torso appear thinner.jpg
    600 x 600 - 35K
    edited May 2017

You can use a displacement brush in Carrara's modeling room.  The mesh will turn all white and the cursor will become circles. 

You can adjust the size of the brush circles and its hardness (relation of outer and inner circle) using the menu on the right.  By default, the Carrara dispalcement brush is much too strong for my tastes.  I reduce it to 1%.  You can also change the bush image.

Carrara has a variety of presets for the displacement brush.  You can add more using an image editor.

When done applying the displacement brush, I typically change the setting to smooth and brush over my changes. It helps preserve the organic look most of the time.

aa24 also note smooth mode will want to change brush hardness and size for that also.JPG
    404 x 618 - 39K
    ff01b displacement brush.jpg
    1711 x 1001 - 242K
    ff02b brush settings to 1 percent.jpg
    1432 x 973 - 215K
    edited May 2017

I used Carrara's displacement brush to enhance some of the major muscle groups.  I wasn't going for a bodybuilder, but you should be able to see some differences in the neck, shoulders, biceps, triceps, lats, hamstrings, and calves.  As mentioned above, when finished, I repeated with the displacement brush set on smooth to avoid any changes that were too pronounced. 

First pass

After some smoothing

And here is a comparison of the default G3M with the morph that I made.

bb02 compare to base mesh.jpg
    600 x 600 - 32K

Now it is time to get your morphs from your modeling app back to Studio as a morph.  The workflow here is to save out your changes under a new name, and preserve the number of vertexes and the scale and position of the mesh.  It will depend on your modeling app.  If using Hexagon, you can use the bridge (convenient!).  With Carrara, I can use the presets included in Carrara's and Studio's export import menus.

If you are using Blender, the settings are in Sickleyield's video linked above.

edited May 2017

Here are the settings to export from Carrara.  Return to the main assemble room.

- confirm that smoothing is still zero.  Just a precaution.

- use File : Export and choose obj format and then select Daz Studio Morph from the drop down menu. Make sure the box to include morphs and sknning is selected.  Choose a name for your file.  Note your file save location.  Good idea to be organized.

The rest is in Studio. The basic workflow is to use morphloader to import the new morph, the joint editor to adjust the skeleton, and ERC freeze to limit the skeleton change to the new morph.

I started a new Daz Studio scene.  I loaded default G3M.

edited May 2017

To start morph loader pro, go to the top menu bar and select EDIT : FIGURE and morph loader should be an option.  Its menu will appear.  At the top of the morph loader menu, it says convert to and from. Make sure that you use a matching scale for import/export for your modeling app.  In my case, it is as simple as setting the "from" to Carrara.  Then navigate to your saved obj file using the "choose morph files" menu. 

bb03 studio load G3M default.JPG
    964 x 830 - 76K
    bb04 morph loader pro.JPG
    1087 x 800 - 81K
    edited May 2017

Your morph will load with the name of your file.  You can change the name and some other features in this menu.  Click the triangle next to your morph name to expand the menu. In SY's tutorial, she changes the morph's location (figure level or actor level) here. 

bb04 morph loader pro.JPG
    1087 x 800 - 81K
    bb05 navigate to saved obj morph load fbmsprinterg3m.JPG
    1132 x 761 - 86K
    bb06 change morph name and location by using property group.JPG
    1261 x 879 - 122K
    edited May 2017

The morph will work within this scene but is not saved yet for future use.  First, it is good to find and test the morph in the current scene.  To do so, go to the figure's parameters pane.  Use the property group line t change the location, as per Sickleyield.  I put mine in the actor / full body moph location.  I clicked the gear icon in the upper right to edit the morph's properties. I set the minimum value to 0 because this morph is designed only to be increased.  I then set the morph to 100% and observed the figure's shape adjust as expected

bb07 morph actor level full body see name.JPG
    1527 x 860 - 148K
    bb08 right click property editor set min to zero.JPG
    901 x 729 - 96K
    edited May 2017

There is a problem.  By changing the limb proportions, the skeleton no longer matches the mesh.  To confirm this, check the joint editor.  Start the joint editor, look under the tools tab in the top menu.  Notice that the arms of the mesh are higher than the skeleton. 

bb09 joint editor see skeleton not match.JPG
    1504 x 795 - 131K
    edited May 2017

The joint editor can be used to fix the skeleton. 

Right click in an empty area of the scene.  A menu will come up for the joint editor.  Use EDIT : ADJUST RIGGING TO SHAPE.  A menu with a list of bones will appear.  Check the bones that you want to adjust.  In this case, I want to adjust all of the bones because of the scale changes. 

bb10 edit adjust rigging to shape.JPG
    1092 x 875 - 113K
    edited May 2017

The skeleton will shift to match the morphed mesh.  See how the arms of the skeleton moved vertically. 

bb11 see skeleton move up to mesh.JPG
    1480 x 865 - 146K
    edited May 2017

VERY IMPORTANT

Looking good, but still not done.  It is very important to use something called ERC freeze so that the changed skeleton does not apply to all future G3M figures.  To find ERC freeze, return to the figure's parameters pane (not joint editor).  Find the morph again.  Because I used default, mine is still at the top figure level under morphs, morph loader.  You will now have to do two right clicks,

First, right click on the morph name and choose EDIT MODE

Second, right click again and choose ERC freeze and new box comes up with accept.

bb12 erc freeze g3m.JPG
    1536 x 912 - 180K
    edited May 2017

OK, I returned to Daz Studio's main scene area and tested out my morph.  The figure's limb proportions and major muscles can be altered as per the morph saved from Carrara.  Here are some simple G3M clothes coformed to G3M with my FBMsprinter set to zer and at one.  Note that I don't really understand the distribution stuff for morphs.  However, ou can save your results as a morph asset and put in an organizaed location.

bb13 fbsprinter at zero.JPG
    1008 x 759 - 75K
    bb14 fbmsprinter at 1.JPG
    1066 x 778 - 85K
    edited May 2017

If I open a new Studio scene and load G3M, I can use my new morph.  If I load a typical G3M clothing item and conform it to G3M, autofit will attempt to adjust the clothing to the new shape.

In future posts, I will try to design a custom clothing item for the new shape but that can be backwards compatible to default G3M, and used with other major G3M shapes.  Hope you find it useful.  As always, suggestions welcome.

bb15 new scene fbm applied.JPG
    1245 x 905 - 105K
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Really interesting!  Most of my morphing efforts haven't been that successful.  You have a lot of great tips in there.

I've tried to keep my contributions to this thread software agnostic.  Hopefully, this tutorial is still useful for people who use Hexagon, Blender, Silo, or whatever.  As much as I appreciate the youtube tutorials, it helps me to see things in writing.  Maybe this bump of the thread will get some more folks to share their recent experiences.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    Diomede said:

I've tried to keep my contributions to this thread software agnostic.  Hopefully, this tutorial is still useful for people who use Hexagon, Blender, Silo, or whatever.  As much as I appreciate the youtube tutorials, it helps me to see things in writing.  Maybe this bump of the thread will get some more folks to share their recent experiences.

I am the same... Youtubes are great for overall...but sometimes I find if you blink, you miss a step with the cursor going all over too quickly for me with some expert tutors. Love their knowledge, but I need slow motion LOL!

This is great. Have a lot on these next two weeks, but will try to get to trying some out.  I have used ZBrush to do morphs that do not increase or decrease polys, just move them, eg facial enhancements for my Neanderthals. Have not tried to do that with Misty's CarrarActors yet. Don't know if doing from Car>ZBrush>Car will work. I've only done it from ZBrush>DS>Car so far. 

Making clothing that is very basic is my DREAM... needs a lot of work on my part!

Cheers, Dio, for tackling this. You are always up for a challenge!  yes Silene

Silene,you have me considering changing my project (excuse to learn Studio).  Have an idea for a scene with some mesolithic villagers.  Might change the G3M and G3F characters to archaic hominids, and change the male clothing item accordingly.  Giving it some thought.  Recently saw this article on lice and clothing.

http://www.livescience.com/41028-lice-reveal-clues-to-human-evolution.html

Got me thinking.

Saw some folks being frustrated with lack of practical armor for female warriors in another thread.  Many of the posts in this thread might also be of interest to people who want a greater variety of female combatant stuff.