Carrara Challenge #32 They Only Come Out At Night - WIP Thread - Meet Our PA Sponsor, GKDantas!

Comments

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    wgdjohn said:
    wgdjohn said:

Question:  The sometimes the Production Frame can be resized while too often it can't... why is this... something I did?  I tried with both lock aspect on and off with no change.

John, can't answer, as sometimes the same thing has happened to me.  My workaround has been to change the production frame size from the render room output tab.

Take a look at my question in main Carrara discussion.... Production Frame Locked - Can't resize it  I got quite a few good suggestions... Dartanbeck provided the answer that worked for me yesterday... it was as simple as checking "Show in 3D View" for the camera used to render.  Thought I'd let you know.

I saw the thread John, thanks.  A lot of interesting suggestions there, and some were new to me as well.

BTW - I liked your NPR render!  Aesthetically very pleasing.  Are you going to do any more?  Still about 10 days left!

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited April 2017

Thanks UB,  I doubt I'll do more but have thought of trying. Quite busy with other things animation and modeling to name a few.  I'm not happy with the unjoined/continuation of lines in the figure... still want to give it a try on an entirely different character/figure.  Might end up getting hold of Eric a DCG to find out my problem... I doubt it's a problem with Toon!Pro.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086
    edited April 2017
    head wax said:

@Diomed - ... The haze and the glow in particular (how'd you do that?)

My c and c - those first two trees right foreground need something to anchore them to the ground  - like a ring of grass around them - also a shadow would help to miic the moonlight direction - i guess they could have a rim light too, at least on the trunks?

Thanks for the constructive criticism, Headwax.  I will definitely address the trees in the foreground in the ways you suggest.  In addition, I have an opacity mask to use to control a replicator for the area just off the road where the line of trees grow.  Will also have to work on shadows for the foreground more generally - the haze blocks those shadows as described below.

For the moon, I put a NASA pic of the moon in the color shader and the glow channel (on a uvmap template).  The moon is a vertex object.  I also used anything glows to make the moon object an emissive light, but I don't think it has much effect because of the haze.  The moon also has an aura in the effects tab.  I also made a vertex ring around the moon and applied an aura to it for greater control. 

The haze comes from placing 4 clouds of differing density and opacity in the scene.  In this cloud/haze effect, I am trying to follow Dart's suggestions but I don't have his skills.

ff01 moon disk mesh and uvmap.JPG
    1696 x 954 - 197K
    ff02 moon disk glow channel.JPG
    935 x 739 - 87K
    ff03 moon disk aura and second mesh.JPG
    923 x 941 - 136K
    ff04 clouds placed.JPG
    1836 x 1041 - 160K
    kk32 duplicate terrain apply side mask to place duplicated trees by road.JPG
    1876 x 934 - 142K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • pnewhookpnewhook Posts: 70
    edited April 2017

A little more work on the nighttime campfire scene

Campfire at night 3.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by pnewhook on

Bravo!  The silhouettes of the figures on the tent are fantastic.  I also really like the lighting of the nebula.  Very subtle.  Also, your moon haze is better than mine..yes   If I could make one suggestion, it looks like some of the stars are landing on the turf in the leftside of the image.  Might be my screen, though.

pnewhook said:

A little more work on the nighttime campfire scene

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

@pnewhook, why blue? The red one I liked more. Anyways, very beautiful scenery.

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,383
    head wax said:

@Alvin that's very creative and effective - good to see someone demsonstrating plugins in 'real' life

Thanks!

The set of existing plugins is so rich that I think I could explore them for years and still never harness their full potential.

Vyusur said:

@pnewhook, why blue? The red one I liked more. Anyways, very beautiful scenery.

Thanks! Yea I might change it back to a red so that the colours are more in the same family and the tent doesn't stick out so much.  Too much colour contrast I think.

I tried to hit multiple aspects of the "they only come out at night" theme:  The milky way galaxy, stars, silhouettes, and the curious deer. And yes since most of what I do with Cararra revolves around space and medical robotics, the people are naked cause I cant justify buying clothes.

Diomede said:

Bravo!  The silhouettes of the figures on the tent are fantastic.  I also really like the lighting of the nebula.  Very subtle.  Also, your moon haze is better than mine..yes   If I could make one suggestion, it looks like some of the stars are landing on the turf in the leftside of the image.  Might be my screen, though.

Thanks!  The stars are actually real spheres placed on the surface of  several fixed radius spheres, based on apparent brightness that I created from a star database.  So since the stars do not physically intersect the terrain it must be your screen.  :-)   

edited April 2017

Aha, I see what it was now.  It appeared to me that the green streaks in the left side of the image were part of the landscape but I see now that the streaks are still part of the sky.  It was indeed my screen.  Sorry for mentioning it

pnewhook said:
    Diomede said:

Thanks!  The stars are actually real spheres placed on the surface of  several fixed radius spheres, based on apparent brightness that I created from a star database.  So since the stars do not physically intersect the terrain it must be your screen.  :-)   

edited April 2017

Yesterday I tried 3 times to render NPR with no luck. First 2 trys were with exterior of an different camera view of TangoAlpha's County Crime Lab using Toon!Pro from DCG.  They did render not too slowly but the grass between sidewalk joins and next to building looked like black blotches... then I tried Toon Pro III filter... after render started I canceled the render which locked up/froze Carrara... had to shut it's task down.  Thinking I needed to get a clean start, computer had been on since day before I re-started it.  Loaded up a Howie Farkes item and set Toon Pro III filter.  All this while I was reading threads in forums catching up on some I'd gotten behind on.  Every once in awhile I'd check and the "Building Strokes" progress bar was creeping along at a very slow pace.  After a few hours it had only gotten to 56% so I aborted the render and shut Carrara down for the night.  Will have to try again before bed and cross my fingers hoping I had good settings.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
    edited April 2017
    Diomede said:

Aha, I see what it was now.  It appeared to me that the green streaks in the left side of the image were part of the landscape but I see now that the streaks are still part of the sky.  It was indeed my screen.  Sorry for mentioning it

No worries! I appreciate the comments.  Those are meant to be distant clouds reflecting the last of a sunset, or maybe distant city lights.   I'm on the fence about those, but they do help define the distant skyline.  Otherwise its just all black.

edited April 2017

John - sad to say that yes, the NPR renderer can take a long time depending on the settings and the complexity of your scene.  So can photoreal under some conditions.  Wish I could point you to a guide to reduce render time for NPR but I don't know of one.

As promised above, I posted the basic steps of my tree-lined road and landscape in the "no one asked me" thread.   https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2367511/#Comment_2367511

edited April 2017

Here's a quick crack at an NPR render.  Lots of settings and rendering takes long, so time consuming to iterate.  I like the sky but not the trees...

NPR Campfile.png
    1920 x 1080 - 994K

diomede,  thanks.  Of course the HF scene I tried is very complex with plenty of replicated objs. I was impressed with how quick Tim's County Crime Lab cranked out... but then Toon!Pro from DCG did have all 8 cores working on it... still I miss the brush options.

pnewhook,  I like both the photorealist and the NPR which I like how the sky looks like clouds... not impressed with how trees turn out but they are pretty dense.

All the Carrara Folk's renders are great looking... keep up the fantasic work.

edited April 2017
    pnewhook said:

Here's a quick crack at an NPR render.  Lots of settings and rendering takes long, so time consuming to iterate.  I like the sky but not the trees...

Pretty nice for an early stage!  I agree with you about the trees, but if you play around enough, I think they can be much improved.

Of course, your PR render of the same scene is already looking good.  (and I really liked how you went for multiple versions of the theme!)

I was very surprised when I first started experimenting with the NPR engine.  The setting are so vast, and yet there are very few instructions or tutorials.  It felt like I had discovered a hidden world in Carrara, where the normal rules of logic don't always apply.  Indeed, sometimes you have to do things backwards to get images to look right.

I would love to pick the brain of the person who added this to Carrara.  It is strange but wonderful.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,250
    edited April 2017

If I do get something in for this one, this wouldn't be it! LOL 

But this is a start to a scene I was working on for this... but I don't like the current state of things. Hopefully I can find the time to work with it enough to get a decent final image from it.

I used the theme for this challenge as a part of my "Blue Sky" phase of my conceptual art for my movie, painting scenes to help write the final script. Of course, this challenge has that stinking rule about no post work... which is fine... I'll just add visual effects after the challenge is over, right? ;)

Anyway, Rosie's in trouble and that's not good. So I have to finish this so I can save her!

I really don't like this image, but wanted to at least show my first test.

Posession.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 403K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on

I was surprized at how well Carrara handled all of these figures at one time, along with this rather large scenery piece and all of the lights I'm using. Before I added the cone light that posesses the whole right side of the image, it was easier to see that there are a lot of cone lights in this scene, adding depth and emotion.

Three Troglodytes, Genesis 1, and V4 with all of her various customized stuff she has on. Carrara was a champ through the whole process so far! Even on this low-powered crap-top! Made me really happy!

That's actually not fair. This little machine is fine, I'm sure, for the casual use portable computer it was designed to be. The low-speed quad cpu is actually pretty darned nice for many things. it totally rocks with Howler! yes

One day I'll save up enough to buy a Radio-Flyer wagon, a generator, and an HP Z800, strap it all together and call that a laptop! Yeah... Rosie will kill me... but then my worries would be over, right? laugh

But I want you to always be worried. devil

Just went alookin  for the Conical camera... seems it's nowhere to be found. :(

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,850
    edited April 2017
    wgdjohn said:

But I want you to always be worried. devil

Just went alookin  for the Conical camera... seems it's nowhere to be found. :(

Its in the Camera icon drop down menu.

Conical Camera.png
    1923 x 1042 - 552K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

But this is a start to a scene I was working on for this... but I don't like the current state of things. Hopefully I can find the time to work with it enough to get a decent final image from it.

Hey Dart, I hope you enter!  Some here may not be aware that you helped sponsor the very first Carrara Challenge, "Welcome to my Garden.

And I had to laugh about the no postwork comment.  Of all the people here who I thought might feel a pinch because of the rule, you were at the bottom of the list!smiley

Thanks Bunyip,  My tiny brain musta froze last night... I was looking for "conical light"... which of course don't exist... Doh!

wgdjohn said:

Thanks Bunyip,  My tiny brain musta froze last night... I was looking for "conical light"... which of course don't exist... Doh!

That's what happens when we don't get enough sleep, right John? LOL

For the conical light:

• Insert > Spot Light
    • Select Spot Light > Effect Tab
    • Scroll down to Light Cone and open before enabling the effect (saves time in the end)
    • Set the cone how you'd like it to appear in the scene (you might also wish to use a Gel in the Gel portion)
    • On your way out of the light cone effect window, click a check mark into "Enable" to turn the effect on

This, of course - while true, was only a comedy routine as per the above funny interlude!

Of all the people here who I thought might feel a pinch because of the rule, you were at the bottom of the list!smiley

Really? I thought my love for adding Howler to my flow was rather infamous! LOL  wink

I've wasted, well nearly, the entire afternoon and evening+  trying to set up a figure in a scene... finally, earlier this evening, I quit playing around and opened Diomede's No one asked me - Diomede posts screenshots on whatever, note that the screenshots are little tutorials with text explanations describing how to do something, to give me a hand.  I should have re-started Carrara and gone there yesterday... for some reason any clothing/wardrobe/outfit I tried loading was floating above the character a few inches... very strange.  I'm working with a G2F .duf and now have the scene nearly set up but have run into another problem, of course.

Seems that no G2F preset pose works correctly... usually arms are not even near what the pose is.  Grrr...  I'm this [-] close...  Oh well... will have to give another go tomorrow... first thing is to delete the Sci-Fi interior to see if that might be the cause... if not I'll see how well I can pose the character myself... I'd planned on adjusting the pose anyway.

"Crazy John moseys off to the Vertex Room where he has better luck."

edited April 2017

Hello all.  Allowed myself to get sidetracked by other projects before finishing my photoreal entry.  What is the deadline?  The first post says Monday the 5th, but that is a typo.  Is it the 5th (a Friday), or Monday the 1st or 8th? 

Wgdjohn, could you give us some more details?  Very strange.  For the poses, are you using limits?  Could the arms have inadvetently gotten constraints turned on?  When you say you are using a G2F DUF file, do you mean that you saved the character out of Daz Studi raher than load the G2F directly out of Carrara. 

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,850

The entry thread has the May 5 - WIP and Entry deadline, voting begins

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/163701/carrara-challenge-32-the-only-come-out-at-night-entry-thread

Diomede said:

Hello all.  Allowed myself to get sidetracked by other projects before finishing my photoreal entry.  What is the deadline?  The first post says Monday the 5th, but that is a typo.  Is it the 5th (a Friday), or Monday the 1st or 8th? 

Thanks - so the deadline is Friday.  Still some time.  smiley

Bunyip02 said:

The entry thread has the May 5 - WIP and Entry deadline, voting begins

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/163701/carrara-challenge-32-the-only-come-out-at-night-entry-thread

Diomede said:

Sorry, all the dates should have said Friday.  Corrected, thanks!