Carrara Challenge #32 They Only Come Out At Night - WIP Thread - Meet Our PA Sponsor, GKDantas!

Comments

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Thank you, UnifiedBrain. Here is the link on costume: https://www.daz3d.com/alfred-s-finery-for-genesis-2-males-s

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

just havin fun.

Nice tutorial Vyusur :)

Eye glass.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 128K
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited April 2017

Some more Owls. Doing some experimenting with colours in a black and white NPR render. (No postwork)

I appreciate the feedback on my UFO picture. I did use a high reflection on purpose, to make the UFO be clarly something strange, not of this world... But I am still debating on this.

OwlNPR02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Chohole on
    3DAGE said:

just havin fun.

Nice tutorial Vyusur :)

Thank you, 3DAGE! You entries are cooler and cooler!

Varsel, cute owls!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Yyusur, thanks for the costume link.  It's a nice outfit.  I haven't done much Genesis 2, so I am a bit behind on fashion.  M3 stuff typically doesn't look that nice. :)

UnifiedBrain, I began my acquaintance with DS from Genesis 2 people.

edited April 2017
    Varsel said:

Some more Owls. Doing some experimenting with colours in a black and white NPR render. (No postwork)

Varsel, how did you get those colors in?

Varsel said:

I appreciate the feedback on my UFO picture. I did use a high reflection on purpose, to make the UFO be clarly something strange, not of this world... But I am still debating on this.

I like this version a lot;  Very nice poses, car, and overgrown road.  My preference (like Diomede) is for less tree reflection on the ship (or for something different altogether), and for stronger light cones.  And for some reason I want to see the ship and light cones more clearly, and the single tree in the middle seems a bit in the way.  That's my bias, anyway.

edited April 2017

To get the colours are actually quite easy.... 

Just set the colour in the shader to the colour you want.

When render, make sure that the Diffuse Channel is using the Object Color, while Highligt, Shadow and Background do not.

In the posted picture, I did use a white Outline Color, but I am going to remove that.

Untitled-2.jpg
    1219 x 892 - 512K

For the UFO picture.

The three is bugging me as well, so I will have to call in some Lumberjacks.

Have to do some experimenting on the shaders, and lightcones. Not quite sure what yet, but I get your points, so there might be changes.

Varsel said:

To get the colours are actually quite easy.... 

Just set the colour in the shader to the colour you want.

When render, make sure that the Diffuse Channel is using the Object Color, while Highligt, Shadow and Background do not.

Duh!  Thanks, and sorry for being so slow.  I've gotten so used to working WITHOUT using the object color in diffuse, that I completely forgot about it.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Aha!... finally my first ToonIII filter render was used for the background.  I then loaded it in and rendered the outline of Jasmine by 3DUniverse with Toon!Pro from DCG.  Oh as you can see I changed the line color to show up better on the darker background..  Things I forgot was to add my sig and render at Best setting. Those will give me something to quickly do tomorrow if not sooner. :)

Jasmin_ToonIIIbkg_ToonPro_ponder_comp.png
    517 x 388 - 123K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,930

Nice combination of things in situ wgdjohn.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,835
    edited April 2017

Modelled my Supreme Ruler morph in Carrara then imported to DS to save as DUF morph for Genesis.

Imported the background which I created and will share for anyone who would like to use it.

Modelled the fuse and images for a plane for the lit fuse.. made the soldiers hat bigger with magnets. Used glow shaders and light effects for the street light, lighter & fuse.

fuse lit WiP1.jpg
    1493 x 781 - 202K
    Fuse is lit.jpg
    800 x 600 - 305K
    Background dark night.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 797K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Stezza, how do you make that pencil-drawn looking background here and overall?

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,835
    edited April 2017

@Vyusur, I create the background in Photoshop Elements with renders and brushes then save and then use the Akvis filter to give it that sketch effect and save again with different name, then load into the background in Carrara smiley

when using as background in Carrara don't forget to add a shadow catcher yes

Post edited by Stezza on

Stezza, thank you very much for your signature recipe. So cool looking effect! I also have Akvis filters, going to try it for this kind of stuff.

head wax said:

Nice combination of things in situ wgdjohn.

Thanks Andrew,... means a lot from you.

A few things not mentioned is that the moon was rough looking, I could make out it's line join/corners, so I just bumped up it's smoothing in VM... it uses the moon map which is part of Carrara which I modified color and glow channels... while there are no craters the smoothing added more and various dark areas which only showed one spot before.

edited April 2017

Some changes .....

Dialed down the reflection on the UFO, and then added a faint glow with the help of Anything Goos and Fake Fresnel from DCG

And some tuning on the lightcones.

NightRoad2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M

Bravo Varsel... Looking very good.

more fun

so dark.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 105K
    edited April 2017

double post <. my bad

Post edited by 3DAGE on
    edited April 2017

Jasmin Ponders, render and setup.  I resized it and upped the render to Best... not much of a difference from Good.  Both the ToonIII filter/NPR background image and the Toon!Pro files have the same files except for the WGD logo sig added to the latter.

Question:  Sometimes the Production Frame can be resized while too often it can't... why is this... something I did?  I tried with both lock aspect on and off with no change.

[Edited]  Spelling and grammer fixed, I hope.

Jasmin_ToonIIIbkg_ToonPro_ponder_12b_comp.png
    1024 x 768 - 346K
    Jasmin Ponder.png
    1366 x 768 - 335K
    Post edited by wgdjohn on
    edited April 2017
    Varsel said:

Some changes .....

Dialed down the reflection on the UFO, and then added a faint glow with the help of Anything Goos and Fake Fresnel from DCG

And some tuning on the lightcones.

Terrific!  I like the triangulation of the lights, the glow, everything.  My one issue is that I would like to see the female character a little better.  In your previous image, you stopped the light cone before it got to her.  In this one, it continues through to the car, and blurs the female.

But that's just personal preference.  I've become a student of past Challenges, and I've seen many of your entries.  You do excellent work, and you know a lot more about Carrara than I.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    Stezza said:

Modelled my Supreme Ruler morph in Carrara then imported to DS to save as DUF morph for Genesis.

Imported the background which I created and will share for anyone who would like to use it.

Modelled the fuse and images for a plane for the lit fuse.. made the soldiers hat bigger with magnets. Used glow shaders and light effects for the street light, lighter & fuse.

Heh heh heh!!  So much for "not expecting anything good," as you wrongly predicted in the other thread.smiley

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,930
    edited April 2017

well it's heart warming to see so much good stuff :)

I started Peter Pan the other day (listening to it)

So here's Peter and Wendy. Peter visited the Darling children at first only at night. " 'While she slept she had a dream. She dreamt that the Neverland had come too near and that a strange boy had broken through from it.'"

The lighting is from caustic bouncing off the walls and floor (which have lots of reflection)  (but rendered with no reflection.)

Peter is Fresnelled in his glow channel and the scene is rendered with aura to make his fresnel glow. No post work except the sig.

withaura.jpg
    2000 x 1264 - 1M
    Post edited by Headwax on
    wgdjohn said:

Question:  The sometimes the Production Frame can be resized while too often it can't... why is this... something I did?  I tried with both lock aspect on and off with no change.

John, can't answer, as sometimes the same thing has happened to me.  My workaround has been to change the production frame size from the render room output tab.

head wax said:

well it's heart warming to see so much good stuff :)

I started Peter Pan the other day (listening to it)

So here's Peter and Wendy. Peter visited the Darling children at first only at night. " 'While she slept she had a dream. She dreamt that the Neverland had come too near and that a strange boy had broken through from it.'"

The lighting is from caustic bouncing off the walls and floor (which have lots of reflection)  (but rendered with no reflection.)

Peter is Fresnelled in his glow channel and the scene is rendered with aura to make his fresnel glow. No post work except the sig.

Another awesome image, love the textures.  Maybe too much light in the Peter character?

Something familiar about that background picture...:)

edited April 2017

Return Of The Legend

This is a pretty straightforward PR render.  I started by making some custom terrain, and by playing around with the realistic sky fog effect.  Then the rest just fell into place.

Lens flare on the sun.

Return of the Legend1.png
    1800 x 1040 - 824K
    Return of the Legend WIP.PNG
    1679 x 930 - 1M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    wgdjohn said:

Question:  The sometimes the Production Frame can be resized while too often it can't... why is this... something I did?  I tried with both lock aspect on and off with no change.

John, can't answer, as sometimes the same thing has happened to me.  My workaround has been to change the production frame size from the render room output tab.

Thanks,  I'll give it a try... it had worked before I changed from original size... will select a very different size, doubling size hadn't helped.  I should post my question to main Carrara Discussion.