Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
    edited April 2017

Odaa said:

SereneNight: not seeing anything with the eyebrows that the "brow inner height" pose control wouldn't fix.

The eyebrows are too red. None of the promo art has hair that really matches that henna red of her eyebrows. Looks odd to me. Plus  the hairs of the brows sweep too much one direction. 

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,713
    Novica said:

If anyone has Lola's son, could they do a quick render of his face without the glasses or point me to a thread where there are some renders of him? Just looking through the Commons and Commercial forums, I'm not seeing anything, and Google isn't cooperating with me either.

I'm not ignoring you- I don't have him. Anyone else able to help?

I'll have a go... BRB

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

@Nath   Thanks, appreciate the help. Okay, now I'm going to try Makoa, I got him for 78 cents in that $1 male sale. Don't ask me, I don't know why I got that price, particularly when everyone else couldn't even get the sale to work. He was the only dude I didn't have. Back in awhile.

Here he is:

lola's son test 21042017.jpg
    886 x 1056 - 343K

Does his eyebrows have any texturing at all? They seem really flat. He's a cute kid though.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
    edited April 2017
    Novica said:

Does his eyebrows have any texturing at all? They seem really flat. He's a cute kid though.

I admit I wondered about this as well. I know pale blondes often have fair and invisible brows, but wodering  if there was some alternate texture.

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited April 2017

Um, regarding Makoa.

Wow. Just wow. Rendering now. I have to admit, I didn't buy him because I didn't really care for the eyebrows in the promos. I've changed my mind. They make him unique and are very detailed. This may take a few minutes, it's at...well, what do you know- jumped from 26% to 45% in just two minutes. Now 60% at 2 1/2 minutes. So check back in about five minutes. Now at 91% at 6 minutes 45 seconds. The Adrian Hair renders fast btw.

Post edited by Novica on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Something has been bugging me the last couple of days - has the font changed in the forums???? It used to be a very Verdana-looking font....now it's different. 

edited April 2017

Helllllo Makoa for Kimo 7!
    Click to enlarge. @OziChick I'm in love with your dude!  Wearing Adrian Hair.

Yep Jakiblue- it's changed.

makoa.png
    786 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on

Here are his brows - he does have some, but not very distinct (there's always https://www.daz3d.com/brow-remover-for-daz-studio and associated products)

lola's son test 21042017 brows.png
    886 x 1056 - 2M
    edited April 2017

Thanks Nath. LOL, we could always whop Makoa's brows on him...THOSE would sure get noticed!

Here he is again.

makoa2.png
    629 x 800 - 726K
    makoa3.png
    629 x 800 - 744K
    Post edited by Novica on

The poor kid could make a hat out of those brows smiley

Makoa's hot, though

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    Valandar said:
    Chohole said:
    Valandar said:

Where do you find your member number?

←   ← ← ←   Hover your mouse over your name      You, like me, have a 4 digit member number

Ah, right... 9176. I been here so long, Noah had asked me for a box of tenpenny nails just before that rainstorm...

That's really interesting. So far the smallest member number I've found is AprilYSH at 994.

Sorry to go OT on your thread Novica.

Heh, I'm 425. :) (Continued apologies to Novica.)

• FerretmaniaFerretmania Posts: 883

Makoa looks really good. Yummy!

edited May 2017

Cris Palomino said:

Heh, I'm 425. :) (Continued apologies to Novica.)

LOL. Continued "not a problem" back atcha. I think you were the person that was mentioned, I believe the number was in the 400's. That's impressive! So how many forum posts did you have that got wiped off the map? 

Post edited by Novica on

@Novica, seeing as you are the Horse Queen around here, what are you thoughts on the new iray presets for the DAZ horse 2? http://www.daz3d.com/da-horse-2-iray-material-presets

the closest i've ever got to a horse was riding a shetland bare back when I was about 8 and falling off it and it trampled over the top of me - needless to say, I've not got within touching range of a horse since. So in your export horse opinion, are they good? 

I'm just excited to FINALLY FINALLY have iray mats for it. 

• FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131
    edited April 2017
    Novica said:

The Adrian Hair renders fast btw.

Really? Is this another 4.8 problem then, because I tested the Adrian hair yesterday and it takes forever to render, plus its a huge memory hog, at least in 4.8. Just tested it again to be sure, and it takes longer than any other hair I have to render which makes it pretty much unusable to me. And I don't even understand why they bothered to make it individual strands. Its not even that poseable.  They would have been better off making it the standard way. Its ashame too because its one of the coolest mens hairs I've seen for sale here.

Post edited by FrankTheTank on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    jakiblue said:
    the closest i've ever got to a horse was riding a shetland bare back when I was about 8 and falling off it and it trampled over the top of me - needless to say, I've not got within touching range of a horse since.

Got you beat:  pony ride, age 2, saddle wasn't tight enough, didn't fall off but absolutely hated the experience.

I don't know if Adrian Hair is slower in 4.8, but it only took 8 minutes for me with an 1100 pixel render and even on my computer, that's a bit faster than "normal" for mine.

I can't upload the last picture I did of Makoa, my internet upload speed is acting up again. They are supposed to come tomorrow to check it. I'm actually using my phone hotspot right now.

edited April 2017

Regarding the horse mats- the first thing I saw were the lumps on the side, like raised textures- look at the main promo. And how would this product be different than just Uber Basing it?  But mainly, it's those lumps. A no go for me.

Post edited by Novica on
  • FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131
    Novica said:

I don't know if Adrian Hair is slower in 4.8, but it only took 8 minutes for me with an 1100 pixel render and even on my computer, that's a bit faster than "normal" for mine.

I can't upload the last picture I did of Makoa, my internet upload speed is acting up again. They are supposed to come tomorrow to check it. I'm actually using my phone hotspot right now.

Interesting. It must be a 4.8 thing then. I tested a couple other hairs just now, just to make sure its not my computer or DS acting up, but everything else is rendering normal. The only other hair I have that takes as long as the Adrian Hair to render is the Streaming Hair for G3F. But I bought that knowing it would take a long time to render due to its unique qualities of streaming in any direction. This Adrian Hair doesn't offer any such benefit to me, so back it goes.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!! hey, I fell off and got run over!

I just remembered! I have had another horse experience!!! I was 18, and went on a trail ride up at Kuranda with two male friends. I was trying to impress one of the male friends (ha ha) and he was an experienced horse rider having grown up on a farm. So off we went, jumped on the horses - the trail guide gave me a very docile mare who was good with beginners apparently. We galloped, trotted, cantered and whatever the hell else a horse does for 6 HOURS on this trail ride. 

The next day, I literally could NOT get out of bed. My limbs and muscles would not respond to me wanting them to move. I fell off my bed and crawled to the bathroom and dragged myself up to sit on the loo, and then crawled back to bed and didn't move the entire day. 

Plot twist: male friend wasn't as impressed as I wanted him to be and he stayed a friend. :sigh: I was told however, that I kept my seat pretty good for a newbie! LOL

jakiblue said:
    the closest i've ever got to a horse was riding a shetland bare back when I was about 8 and falling off it and it trampled over the top of me - needless to say, I've not got within touching range of a horse since.

Got you beat:  pony ride, age 2, saddle wasn't tight enough, didn't fall off but absolutely hated the experience.

Okay, my upload speed is back up to 17mbps at the moment (it was down to .23) so go back to Makoa post, I uploaded the picture.

edited April 2017

Testing Adrian Hair on another Genesis 3 male, render is 864 x 1100. Let's see how long it takes. This hair is thin on top, and I'm not finding any top influence morphs, other than head size. One trick to thicken hair is to load two of them, and do different morphs, but that only works on strands that can be moved (think of the sides, and the top if there are layers/able to move it.)

Edit: so here is Dmitri with Adrian Hair. I can't find a way to thicken the hair up by the hairline. I don't like it- maybe I'm doing something wrong. To test the Adrian Hair speed, I did a large render (like the other one. 864 x 1100 on this one) with a character will all clothes loaded. Keep that in mind, the clothes ARE there. Even the boots.

DarwinsMishap did a great job- look at the veins in the neck. I wanted to show another dude with eyebrows that weren't as thick, but had a similar flatter arch. These arch up a bit near the ends but they're not as extreme as some of the other ones.

2 min  25%  167 iterations
    2:07  34%   188 it
    2:25  45%  210 it
    2:40   53%  258 it
    3:15   58%   306 it
    3:30   62%   331 it
    4:40   69%   473 it
    5:40   75%    567 it
    6:34   80%   691 it
    7:40   84%   787 it
    8:45   88%   910 it
    9:45   90% 1026 it
    12:00  94%  1267 it
    12:45   96%  1454 it
    14:38   99%  1565
    15:25  done, went off fast.

dmitri Adrian Hair After Party Shirt.png
    864 x 1100 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2017

This is Dmitri with Jonas Hair. Wanted to show you the After Party Suit (Gen3M) 

dmitri Jonas Hair After Party Shirt.png
    550 x 700 - 620K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2017

CYPRUSS ARMOR IS A MESS WITH THE GEN3M. Totally worthless to try and use just the top and trying to opague out the body. The vendor used the same material zones for the cross straps across the chest, as the cross straps on the centaur part you want to hide. Same with the buttons and other material zones on the  centaur part and the chest piece. Didn't bother to check further. You can NOT use this unless major tweaking with material zones. Am rendering now but the complete centaur outfit had to be used, it's just not shown behind him. 

It also doesn't parent in place or Fit To. (Found that out when I tried to do a pose and it left the outfit behind.) So do that when you load up. I chose Full Body. It has to be Unsupported as Genesis 3 Male isn't offered. Works fine, the poses will then apply to the outfit too.

Edit: Attached FW Aran HD (Gen3M) with Diesel Hair with the outfit. 

Aran Cypruss Armor Centaur Diesel Hair.png
    961 x 995 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,072
    Novica said:

Testing Adrian Hair on another Genesis 3 male, render is 864 x 1100. Let's see how long it takes. This hair is thin on top, and I'm not finding any top influence morphs, other than head size. One trick to thicken hair is to load two of them, and do different morphs, but that only works on strands that can be moved (think of the sides, and the top if there are layers/able to move it.)

Edit: so here is Dmitri with Adrian Hair. I can't find a way to thicken the hair up by the hairline. I don't like it- maybe I'm doing something wrong. To test the Adrian Hair speed, I did a large render (like the other one. 864 x 1100 on this one) with a character will all clothes loaded. Keep that in mind, the clothes ARE there. Even the boots.

DarwinsMishap did a great job- look at the veins in the neck. I wanted to show another dude with eyebrows that weren't as thick, but had a similar flatter arch. These arch up a bit near the ends but they're not as extreme as some of the other ones.

2 min  25%  167 iterations
    2:07  34%   188 it
    2:25  45%  210 it
    2:40   53%  258 it
    3:15   58%   306 it
    3:30   62%   331 it
    4:40   69%   473 it
    5:40   75%    567 it
    6:34   80%   691 it
    7:40   84%   787 it
    8:45   88%   910 it
    9:45   90% 1026 it
    12:00  94%  1267 it
    12:45   96%  1454 it
    14:38   99%  1565
    15:25  done, went off fast.

Thank you for testing him with the hair.  I haven't had that issue yet, so it could be just the lighting that works unwell with the trans maps?  I do appreciate you using him, he looks great in your testings. :)

As for the armor, that's unfortunate.  You could use the material editor to fix the surface materials so you could hide things, but it's as you said, not without work.

edited April 2017

Getting off the computer, but thought I'd share a photo I just snapped of Stetson this week so you can see his coat before it gets a bit bleached out by the summer Florida sun. (Although I bring him in at 11am every day and put him under fans. It can be 110up on the heat index.) For newbies to the thread, he's a Morgan. They are the only horse that originated in the United States (East Coast) and the only horse named after the family that started the breed. There are only about 180,000 in the world, compared to millions of quarter horses just in the United States.

They are known for their long hair- exquisite mane and tails. (The red on his mane is the reflection of the sun hitting a HUGE orange floor fan which is about four feet tall, blowing air down the main aisle. It's to our right, out of view.) 

Stetson.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 4M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,072

Lovely speciman, Novica.  Wow.

edited April 2017

Lovely speciman, Novica.  Wow.

Thank you. And he's SUCH a sweet boy. But I should buy stock in Show Sheen. (What you spray and leave on the mane and tail to take out tangles and help prevent them. Works like magic.)  Edit: That's also just an iphone shot, he's foreshortened in the front. His hips are true to size.

Post edited by Novica on
This discussion has been closed.