Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,858

I'm trying to remember if it was one of the kitchens where the counters and cabinets didn't quite connect, I posted it in the thread. I did test another room for someone and the material zones were very good, the couch pillows and the throw pillows were different, although the three pillows had the same zones. Let me load up a couple of these for you. (not necessarily the ones I mentioned. I have a lot of them.)  Whatcha wanna see? (Better hurry, it's going on 11pm my time and that's less than two hours till site changes. 

edited April 2017

Unfortunately T3D has Island Room as the walls AND roof one piece in Scene. However, in Surfaces, you can opague out the roof as it is a separate material zone (but not the walls in the main room).  I will say you have a lot of room to move around for camera angles, it's not a tight fit. Props are separate, so that's good.

Testing material zones quickly for you:  the bed: 
    the bed (headboard and bottom piece)

bed mattress- but what the heck? Most of the surface options are gone. It's got Diffuse Texture, Roughness, Fibre IOR, Sheen, Normal Map, Horizontal Tiles (and Vertical) UV Set, Smooth, Angle.  That's it.  HUH?

Bed pillow- same as mattress   THIS IS BAD. ALL FOUR PILLOWS ARE TOGETHER. 
    Blanket- same as mattress

rubber- has the iray like the bed.

Other items' Surface material zones:
    The cabinet by the bed has cabinet and chrome. NO OPEN OR CLOSE. None of the cabinets do. But Iray surfaces options, not like bed.

Door has door panel, chrome, glass.  USE Y ROTATE, THEY OPEN AND CLOSE.

Lamps- good material zones, iray Surface options unlike the bed. Bulb, chrome, lampshade body, lampshade cloth. 

Summary: So basically, thumbs up on separate zones, don't know what is going on with some of the different Surface options (bed, blanket, mattress) so someone more knowledgeable can explain that. The doors DO open, use Y rotate.  This vendor has a habit though of lumping pillows together, that happened with another room. Otherwise, props are separate.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2017

So I used one of the outdoor Apocalyptic lights and added two quickie Ghost Lights (like if they were the camera crew, standing where you are viewing this from. Just to show you how much wiggle room you have with the movement of cameras. So these are quickies just to show you the room, ignore the not-fine-tuned-lighting. 

You can see into the bedroom from the sitting room and get an all the way through shot, doing that now. These are rendering in about three to four minutes for the main room, so if you have a slower machine, yes, this set would work well for you. The second room and first room together are taking about 22 minutes.

Funky carpet. Kinda like it, almost like sea foam / tidal pool impressions. 

This one didn't finish completely, but you get the idea. It will take longer than just the bedroom, probably more like half an hour if you have both rooms shown.

island room 2 ghost and apop.png
    800 x 700 - 906K
    island room 2 ghost and apop2.png
    800 x 700 - 888K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

Wow, I wasn't expecting that detailed an answer, but that's incredibly useful info. Thank you!!! :) That will make all the difference in whether I buy some of his sets or not.

We had a weird night last night, and I didn't make it back to DAZland. Luckily Tesla3DCorp's store is still on sale. I'll have to think about it, since I've been bitten by grouped material zones before. I'm trying to buy really flexible sets, due to the fact that as yet, I don't think I've used a single set as-is.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,551
    edited April 2017

I'm not liking that. IT doesn't have the realism you want form iray and stuff looks blocky and mismatched, and not 'islandy' enough. The roof kind of has a ranch look. That piece of art, looks too bright and garish for an island gettaway.

Post edited by Serene Night on

I'm not liking that. IT doesn't have the realism you want form iray and stuff looks blocky and mismatched, and not 'islandy' enough. The roof kind of has a ranch look. That piece of art, looks too bright and garish for an island gettaway.

That's a good point. It looks like a generic hotel room. I'd think island would be more rattan and plants, or something... Thanks!

Yep, agreed. We actually talked about the artwork when it first came out. I think the Tesla3d rooms are basics, and I was puzzled over the wallpaper. Almost a large marble print. I wasn't going to use the bed, it seems more like a cheap hotel one, rather than anything tropical. I will disagree on the roof, as the boards are irregular enough to give it a slightly relaxed feel. I got it because of the sloped roof, sliding doors, and the second room. And of course, because the price was right! 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited April 2017

Wanted to show PA_Philosipher Animated Butterfly's and Whisps unanimated.  Super easy to use and position.  This is several of the group props rotated to different positions.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on

Oh how pretty! Your character's pose is quite lovely too. Perfect use of darker background to pull out the butterflies.

Folks, check out ROAR. Jakiblue outdid herself. It's in the Gallery/Art Studio favorites thread, which was moved to Art Studio in case you're looking for it.  

Thank you very much!

I saw that and thought it was awesome!  I would never have thought to put the Minotaur in that but I LOVED it! Really well done.

Wanted to show PA_Philosipher Animated Butterfly's and Whisps unanimated.  Super easy to use and position.  This is several of the group props rotated to different positions.

Beautiful! I'm going to go wishlist those butterflies. :)

edited April 2017
    Novica said:

Oh how pretty! Your character's pose is quite lovely too. Perfect use of darker background to pull out the butterflies.

Folks, check out ROAR. Jakiblue outdid herself. It's in the Gallery/Art Studio favorites thread, which was moved to Art Studio in case you're looking for it.  

Thanks for pointing out  ROAR.  So many nice details and such a cool render of a superhero. :) I went through the favorites thread and missed it somehow.

Post edited by firewarden on
  • FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131

Anyone have opinions on the ParrotDolphin's shader sets that are in FastGrab this morning? For those that already own them and don't see them, both  PD Iray Shader Kit 1 and PD Iray Shader Kit 2 are on sale and I've had my eye on them for awhile. I always like to pick up quality shaders. Still tapped out though from MM, and wondering if I really need both sets, or if anyone has an opinion do they have a preference of one set over the other?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,017
    DSDT said:

Anyone have opinions on the ParrotDolphin's shader sets that are in FastGrab this morning? For those that already own them and don't see them, both  PD Iray Shader Kit 1 and PD Iray Shader Kit 2 are on sale and I've had my eye on them for awhile. I always like to pick up quality shaders. Still tapped out though from MM, and wondering if I really need both sets, or if anyone has an opinion do they have a preference of one set over the other?

I have both and really like them.
  • FerretmaniaFerretmania Posts: 883

I have them too and really like them.

• I agree both PD shader kits are fantastic especially when re-using older clothing with the new wear them all expansion!

Love the Parrot Dolphin shaders

Cool, I was afraid of that. Now spending money I really shouldn't, but I'm sure I'll put them to good use. I always get my money's worth out of shaders.

edited April 2017

Just a shout out to the Freebie contest- Saphirewild took that over and it's a really fun theme- think Easter and spring. If you use freebies, this is a wonderful contest! (Done it three times, posted the link to the first post but it's not going there, at least not for me. It adds "latest" on the end after you arrive?)

My internet is acting up (been down TWICE in five days. It's up right now, but my upload speed is a lousy 1mbps so I am not canceling the appointment, which is FRIDAY.)  I'm working right now on the rigging/ weight mapping thread, which, if you're subscribed to, you won't see the continuation of that one post as it's not "new." But going into a lot more detail on some things to help you, which were NOT in the tutorials I read. Will speed up your workflow. 

So if I don't post here for a bit, it's because I couldn't upload any renders even if I did them. Sigh. And tomorrow, I'm gone to the stables. Going to get more balanced between computer and outdoor activities, but I do want to get the rigging thread going (here in Art Studio) as several people had PMd or emailed me with questions. And be sure to read any of Rich's posts, he's a newbie but a pro! (IMO. I'm bumbling around, but sometimes that's the best way- using tutorials but then posting the questions I had, even with using those.) 

Post edited by Novica on
  • dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    edited April 2017

Deleted.

Post edited by dawnblade on

I can't help with that one, sorry!

BTW, since someone already mentioned it, and you'd better be fast- the Fast Grab is discounting the ReConX and DM suit, and several others. I don't know if you need Centaur stuff in your cart or not, but Fast Grab isn't supposed to be influenced anyway. Also the Pro Bundle is down to 27.77 with three add ons in the cart. (Again, don't blame me, I'm not the one who brought this up.) For that price, I bought it. I didn't bother shopping the stores, I just checked out pronto. I don't know if you put what you bought in the cart, and do the pro bundle (or whatever you got, the starter, or the centaur) and do screenshots, if it's cheaper right now- and send a support ticket if they'd honor it. Worth a shot.

Novica said:

I can't help with that one, sorry!

BTW, since someone already mentioned it, and you'd better be fast- the Fast Grab is discounting the ReConX and DM suit, and several others. I don't know if you need Centaur stuff in your cart or not, but Fast Grab isn't supposed to be influenced anyway. Also the Pro Bundle is down to 27.77 with three add ons in the cart. (Again, don't blame me, I'm not the one who brought this up.) For that price, I bought it. I didn't bother shopping the stores, I just checked out pronto. I don't know if you put what you bought in the cart, and do the pro bundle (or whatever you got, the starter, or the centaur) and do screenshots, if it's cheaper right now- and send a support ticket if they'd honor it. Worth a shot.

All you need is the Centaur to trigger the fast grabs to be cheaper, doesn't have to be pro. As long as the Centaur is in the cart.

I just HAVE to do this in my thread. 

POST NUMBER 15,000 for me!!!!

Since September 2012. So 56 months of posting, means an average of 268 posts a month. 
    It also means I need to go ride my horse Stetson a LOT more. (Which I started doing, as of last week.) 

So, here we go. Figure out the number of months since you started actively posting and figure YOUR monthly average. I've been active since the first month (and started with Thread 1 from my very first render. Wow.)  So what's your stats?

• NathNath Posts: 2,707

*takes off imaginary hat and bows*

The forums only go back to 2012, and there are a few thousand posts I lost between then and 2005 - so 7,3 posts a month since May 2012 :)

Yeah, that reminds me- when the forums changed over to these, people also lost posts. I can't remember if they got them back or not, but IIRC it was either they did get it fixed, or the number you ended up with was very close. I think mine was fine after a "fix" was done.

edited April 2017

Oh, look at you Nath~ your member ID is 254,298. You joined waaaay ahead of me! (2,153,969) I'm about TWO MILLION members behind you LOL.

Post edited by Novica on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,707

And that is a frightening idea... I'd say I've been here way too long, except it's been way too much fun:)

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,184

I have been a member since Oct 2006, and have 1,487 posts since the pre 2012 purge. so that comes out to 10 1/2 posts per month. 

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited April 2017
    Novica said:

Yeah, that reminds me- when the forums changed over to these, people also lost posts. I can't remember if they got them back or not, but IIRC it was either they did get it fixed, or the number you ended up with was very close. I think mine was fine after a "fix" was done.

Posts from iteration before this one were transferred automatically.   We never regained the posts from the old old forum.  Mine was only about 11,000 and some,  but Richard had celebrated his 50 thousandth post on the old old forum, with a contest and then still carried on posting,  and we never got those back

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited April 2017
    Chohole said:
    Novica said:

Posts from iteration before this one were transferred automatically.   We never regained the posts from the old old forum.  Mine was about 11,000 and some,  but Richard had celebrated his 50 thousandth post on the old old forum, with a contest,  and we never got those back

Oh man, he should have that in his signature! 50,000 posts + (whatever he has now) Forum Guru

Which reminded me, I just took the March Madness Freebie thread link out of my sig. 

Post edited by Novica on
This discussion has been closed.