Keep Calm : There's always another Sale (Daily Sale Talk)

Comments

• FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131

Anyone else having trouble with the cart?  I click on the icon on any item but it doesn't load into the cart.  Considering how much I've spent lately, that might not be a bad thing....

I just bought a fast grab item without a problem. Now if only Fit Control for G3F would have been in fast grab as well, I would be even happier, I still need that one last thing from Zev0. Come on, not too late, you can still put it in fast grab please! I'll check in the morning to see if its there :)

• nohiznguyennohiznguyen Posts: 262

Anyone else having trouble with the cart?  I click on the icon on any item but it doesn't load into the cart.  Considering how much I've spent lately, that might not be a bad thing....

Just make sure that your address bar shows https:// ;instead of http://

Well, I'm shopping my own runtime lately and wow, there're products I have no idea when I purchased them surprise

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,755

Whoa, whoa,whoa No% discount on giftcards?!

NO Discount? At....all.......

Please tell me something is broken.....

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

Well, today's special new release has the questionable honor of being the first Daz product to make me sick to my stomach. That's.... different.

edited April 2017

What product is that? And why no discount on gift cards?

You mean, literally, selling HELL?

Not to worry someone is selling something called a 'bunker' which is literally, a hole in the ground....

https://www.daz3d.com/ww2-anderson-shelter
    When I read the description, I wanted it- looked like a lot of props...and 

I figured there was another room they didn't show in the propmos -- you know, the actual bunker!

Post edited by Griffin Avid on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276

Well, today's special new release has the questionable honor of being the first Daz product to make me sick to my stomach. That's.... different.

Yeah, I could tell by the just the thumbnail that it wasn't something I wanted to take a closer look at. Kind of icked by the amount of demonic, horror, and helish type of content that gets released here.

edited April 2017

I just had  a talk about that with my partner. She's VERY neutral about these things and says things like "Not everyone is into what you're into".

I'm like I dunno--

The sexy vampire phase was powered by shows like twilight and such...the zombies are powered by the immensely popular Walking Dead franchise...

I don't see any real world counterpart that explains this weighted direction in all things devilish.

And the other forumites were right - there is not a  balance between good and evil..

And throwing wings o na  character is NOT a counter product....

If you have 8 million horns morphs - where's the Halo morphs?

Devil wings/angel wings = tie.

Skins, no contest- there is no Angely skinset. Nothing that glows saintly...

And the 'Angel poses' are FALLEN angel poses. lol.

Every church set is dark and sinister and foreboding.

Demons got bikinis....heels...pin-up poses....

Where's the Angelic robe that flows and curls....

Demons got guns,,,,,where's the Angels trumpet and such?

Sword of righteousness...?

Burning bush? Never mind.

Post edited by Griffin Avid on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Llynara said:
    Nath said:

Even if I'm going to buy into Genesis 4 and additions (and that is a very big IF), it looks as if I need to buy a new harddisk (and backup disk) first - there's still some room on there, but not all that much...

I had to move my entire DAZ library to an external drive. I'm guessing a lot of people do, because 3D content is a space hog. Now mine's on a 5TB drive right now (around $100 on Amazon.) Might have to add another at some point just for the DIM, that thing is a hog too. (And yes, I try to keep downloaded copies of every item I buy. It's a thing.)

I totally get that.

Although not buying much; the Jane character was cute( another one - go figure), but other than that nothing tempting - so space is fine here. Not seen much new (or at least original) for a while now.

Toonces said:

This post might help. When I read it a few weeks ago, the advice seemed legit:

https://direct.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/155746/moving-runtime-from-hd-to-external-hd

Thanks! Bookmarked! Now I just have to stop buying content so I can afford a big external drive. 

I want a 512GB MicroSD for my Surface. Of course, first they need to really start making 512GB MicroSDs, and then they need to become affordable. 

I have a couple of hard drive caddies and a hard drive usb enclosure; that way I can use normal mechanical hard drives for backups and extra storage. I'll be moving the downloads to one of em soon; is easy enough, and just requires one to point DIM to it. I never delete what I download... Just in case (No idea what, if I did I'd be very very rich.wink)

• avxp said:
    Every church set is dark and sinister and foreboding.

I would disagree..

That said, alot of churches are just quite dark, purely because of the way they are built.. but sinister and foreboding are subjective.

• FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131

Its dark but there's been darker things in the store. The time of release around Easter seems in very poor taste though.

"...but sinister and foreboding are subjective."

https://www.daz3d.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=church

I don't mean Any Church, I mean the church-products offered here, on Daz.

And let's be careful before someone accuses me of insulting Religion and gets my post deleted.

I guess it makes sense, were all doing DARK something. Dark Fantasy, Dark Sci-Fi and Sexy and...um...sexy and dark...lol....

Maybe I see more of that bend because those items get bundled with the day's theme.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,799
    avxp said:

Not to worry someone is selling something called a 'bunker' which is literally, a hole in the ground....

https://www.daz3d.com/ww2-anderson-shelter
    When I read the description, I wanted it- looked like a lot of props...and 

I figured there was another room they didn't show in the propmos -- you know, the actual bunker!

That's actually what an Anderson shelter was -- a hole in the ground!

People in Britain during World War II built them as protection against German bombs. The Anderson shelter was one of several official designs for personal air-raid shelters, and spending the night in one must have been pretty miserable. The model's proportions don't look quite right for a real Anderson -- they were made to a very simple, standardized design, using mass-produced components -- but the principle is right.

The indoor Morrison shelter, which was essentially a steel cage designed to protect you when your house fell on you, was more popular because at least when the bombs came you could die (or not) in your own bed, rather than spending the night in a damp hole at the bottom of your garden.

Wow, that's crazy. I just learned something new! That was a great read and a shock to the system as a reminder of harsher times.

I think a lot about 50s Sci-Fi and how Atomic Obliteration and Alien invasion were such heavy themes. It's sobering how now,

we are increasingly worried about big brother and a new super-class-based society.

Signs-o-the-times.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited April 2017

Just make sure that your address bar shows https:// ;instead of http://

Well, I'm shopping my own runtime lately and wow, there're products I have no idea when I purchased them surprise

LOL, I know that feeling! 

And wow, I checked out today's new hellish product and it's a little too gruesome for me. There's a lot of detail in it that I'm sure will appeal to horror fans. I own the demon packs, along with a couple of hell environments, but this one is a little too much for me. I'll stick with rendering demonic Elvis impersonators (called "Hellvis" LOL.)

As far as angels and such- There are some beautiful churches at DAZ that can be dark or light, depending on how you light them. Most modern churches aren't that exciting architecturally. Many look like any other modern day community center or theater. DAZ does have some sets based on older, more famous ones. Jack's sets and Faveral's come to mind. 

Arki has some beautifully detailed angelic clothing sets (Angeloi for V4 and M4) that came over with the RDNA merger. It would be very nice to see an updated set, but maybe I've missed one. I have the angelic robes for V3 and M3. The recent wing sets that have come out are very good (so are Arki's older Malaik wings), but I haven't seen any angelic clothing or halos lately. The closest are the wizard robes and goddess outfits. Marshian's Body of Light product could be used quite well for angels. There's also godrays in the store, and The Philosopher's recent Cloud Haven HDRI would be perfect for a heavenly setting. So would Dimension Theories many sky products.

Post edited by Llynara on

By the way that's ME on your patreon. lol

So, for Angels, we gotta kit-bash, but for the reds they get that incredible complete set.

See, I'm torn...I want it for the props...that would go great with the lava base I have and I could story-up an adventure on a planet called Inferno 12.

Use that area as a main action set piece. Sorta like the start of Star Trek into Darkness...

It's got bodies which make great props in lots of other contexts...the chains are awesome....The skull throne can be any bad guys'......

I even like the hand-grabbing cliff thing. 

It's a great, great set....BUT

I'm leery of all the pentagrams and symbols on the walls.

Something about that creates a pause in me.

Might still get it if the story fills itself out in my head.

Oh the Temptation. There's the new female..Mckayla (awesome and the tats are a big plus)

The demure poses, which look like they need only 1 or two limbs adjusted to be awesome...

And then that whole lava set is only $2.50. 

That's a lot of devil for the dollar.

• Well, today's special new release has the questionable honor of being the first Daz product to make me sick to my stomach. That's.... different.

I was a bit more disappointed in the poor textures than put off by the subject matter.  At least, the renders looked rather old school to me, not the current level of Iray detail.

I can certainly understand if it's not your thing.  This reminds me a lot of the subterranean lair of the snake king in Conan the Barbarian.  Granted, that was a pretty horrific scene.  Otherwise, it does look like a good set for the "rescue the maiden/princess/goddess" from the Demon's Lair scenario.  That throne and the pit look more like fantasy horror than any "real" depiction of Hell.

The week before Easter does seem a strange time to release this one.  Perhaps, there's a followup release of the Ascension to Heaven / Pearly Gates set. ??

I'm in agreement that there should be some more Beings of Light releases.  I mentioned in a similar thread that I'd like to see some PA come up with their own Angelic Creature...a new being, not just a human with wings and a halo (and definitely not another faery...I've got lots.).  At the risk of delving ino the metaphysical, I'd have to say that possibly an angel might look quite alien and even ugly by human standards.  It's beauty/goodness would have to manifest in some other way...  And, of course, it's not every angel's job to float around playing the lyre. :)   ...just food for thought. 

But, I gather that there are a lot more sales to be had in the horror genre.  Daz pretty much mirrors what is popular in movies and TV.  

• Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325

Well, today's special new release has the questionable honor of being the first Daz product to make me sick to my stomach. 

Yeah, that bunny in the magic set is pretty disturbing.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,799

I was a bit more disappointed in the poor textures than put off by the subject matter.  At least, the renders looked rather old school to me, not the current level of Iray detail.

I can certainly understand if it's not your thing.  This reminds me a lot of the subterranean lair of the snake king in Conan the Barbarian.  Granted, that was a pretty horrific scene.  Otherwise, it does look like a good set for the "rescue the maiden/princess/goddess" from the Demon's Lair scenario.  That throne and the pit look more like fantasy horror than any "real" depiction of Hell.

The week before Easter does seem a strange time to release this one.  Perhaps, there's a followup release of the Ascension to Heaven / Pearly Gates set. ??

I'm in agreement that there should be some more Beings of Light releases.  I mentioned in a similar thread that I'd like to see some PA come up with their own Angelic Creature...a new being, not just a human with wings and a halo (and definitely not another faery...I've got lots.).  At the risk of delving ino the metaphysical, I'd have to say that possibly an angel might look quite alien and even ugly by human standards.  It's beauty/goodness would have to manifest in some other way...  And, of course, it's not every angel's job to float around playing the lyre. :)   ...just food for thought. 

If you want alien-looking 'beings of light', you need look no further than the Bible, where there are descriptions of some fairly freaky-looking kinds of angel: cherubim, seraphim and others.

In Jewish tradition, cherubim usually have a single pair of wings, but four feet. However, in the book of Ezekiel -- and in later Christian iconography -- they have four wings (partly joined together), legs like a calf that "shine like polished brass", and four faces -- that of a man, an ox, a lion and an eagle (representing men, domesticated and wild animals, and birds). They also have hands, and arms.

Seraphim, a higher class of angel, have six wings, four of which are used to cover their faces and bodies, and two for flying. They are probably broadly human-shaped, having legs (or feet, anyway), hands and arms.

Then there are the ophanim, who are also angels, and take the form of great spoked wheels whose rims are covered with eyes (or stars). That's three possible classes of angel, but I believe there are supposed to be ten in all.

There are also the Four Living Creatures of the book of Daniel, who may be related to the cherubim described in Ezekiel, and who reappear in a slightly different form in the Revelation of St John the Divine, where they seem to take on some attributes of both seraphim and ophanim: multiple wings, and many eyes.

Alien enough for you?

• Well, today's special new release has the questionable honor of being the first Daz product to make me sick to my stomach. That's.... different.

If you want alien-looking 'beings of light', you need look no further than the Bible, where there are descriptions of some fairly freaky-looking kinds of angel: cherubim, seraphim and others.

In Jewish tradition, cherubim usually have a single pair of wings, but four feet. However, in the book of Ezekiel -- and in later Christian iconography -- they have four wings (partly joined together), legs like a calf that "shine like polished brass", and four faces -- that of a man, an ox, a lion and an eagle (representing men, domesticated and wild animals, and birds). They also have hands, and arms.

Seraphim, a higher class of angel, have six wings, four of which are used to cover their faces and bodies, and two for flying. They are probably broadly human-shaped, having legs (or feet, anyway), hands and arms.

Then there are the ophanim, who are also angels, and take the form of great spoked wheels whose rims are covered with eyes (or stars). That's three possible classes of angel, but I believe there are supposed to be ten in all.

There are also the Four Living Creatures of the book of Daniel, who may be related to the cherubim described in Ezekiel, and who reappear in a slightly different form in the Revelation of St John the Divine, where they seem to take on some attributes of both seraphim and ophanim: multiple wings, and many eyes.

Alien enough for you?

LOL...you make a good point.  So, the question is:  "Just how come we only ever see the angels depicted as humans with wings and halos?  And, where are all these cool alien angels for Daz?"  ;)

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Well, today's special new release has the questionable honor of being the first Daz product to make me sick to my stomach. 

Yeah, that bunny in the magic set is pretty disturbing.

I'd agree; was kinda weird.

The torture pit/devil stuff - well just more fantasy stuff that seems popular but not my thing. It didn't even register; I had to go and take a look when I saw the comments.

What's up with this forum? What goes on here with these replies to salient points.

There's like there's some sort of underground militia that just HAS TO REPLY the opposite of ANY POINT counter to effecting change.

It's unquestionable that there is a SLANT towards darker material. I say it and here you go with a skew number so low, it's irrelevant compared what is RECENTLY on offer.

Demon morphs

Demon skins

Demon Poses

Demon clothes - fangs for days....

now demonic sets 

We are no where near Halloween.

As for angels - their instruments and halos:

https://www.daz3d.com/serenity-angel-instruments

That is so reachy I wasn't even going to reply.

The overall point is factual based on any 'search by product' using release date.

Just like the other thread where the guy wants better product descriptions and forumites are naming every possible rare-occurance reason why it doesn't need looking into when it clearly does.

EVERY DAY someone is looking for an item in a  promo.

Or confused as to what's included in a product they want to buy.

I'm six months in and I still have to ask Does this come with this? Is this a this ...or a this?

BETTER descriptions for products is not the kind of thing you debate. If it's possible you do it, if not, you don't but overall do the best you can.

We are not seeing DO the best you can. lol

But to use a whole bunch of excuses just to say everything is as it should be is too much.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

You was asking for a halo ... so I tried to be helpful.

I will refrain from trying to do that again.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your message.

Seems like you said you don't see the slant towards dark (including churches) by linking to a bunch of them-----

You were saying here's a counter item to indicate - THEY DO MAKE ANGEL STUFF(s) HERE"S A HARP AND HALO.

I am not interested in buying a  halo or even complaining, I am simply naming a trend.

So I don't know wha anyone who agrees would feel the need to add on different.

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454
    edited April 2017
    Kerya said:

@Kerya

Thank you for that list of churches; I've wishlisted a few. :)

I think avxp took the https://www.daz3d.com/serenity-angel-instruments as being proof that you have to look pretty far back for the angel items, and I think most of the angel items in the store came from RNDA (not that one, tho).

There is a preponderance of dark and demonic, but unfortunately for those of us who'd like a better variety, it's probably because it sells better. I'd kill for an angel set as beautiful as the demonic stuff that's coming out. That said, I keep hoping the RDNA angelic stuff will go back on a crazy sale so it's worth converting.

Post edited by firewarden on
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,268
    edited April 2017

Hah !  Theree of the current Fast Grab Items can be purchased as a bundle that even at full price is cheaper than buying the items at the Fast Grab price laugh

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

Heh. I think you guys are just getting old and think horror is still like Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street. :) 

The escalation of horror in Cinema has gone from that through things like Saw, Hostel, The Human Centipede... because escapist horror fiction has to keep up with being more shocking than real life - and today's kids have watched videos of people actually being executed in certain parts of the world with a complete indifference to human life. 

So... that is probably what drives the "Hellraiser" level of shock-horror content at DAZ. I'm in art school right now... and one of our assignments was to make a home made book last semester. This chubby, bubbly, art-club girl in one of my classes made a Necrocomicon complete with simulated human flesh with an eyeball in the middle of it. It looked awesome - but it was revolting at the same time. 

All of her pieces were demonic and about pain and misery and torture and distorted figures in agony. If she were a DAZ customer - she wouldn't be buying Tamara unless she were planning on rendering her as a victim of torture. 

AVXP you're fairly new here... Months ago the discussion was about the heavy bias toward skimpwear and unrealistic character types. 

Here are the BIG markets for DAZ content. 

1) Hot women with idealized body and exaggerated doe eyes and cupid lips. My daughter 15 year old daughter came in one day while I was shopping and with a groan of disgust went, "All those female characters look 10 years old."

Which I think is her feminist bias taking place. But a lot of them look like co-eds.

2) Fantasy, SciFi and Medevial period. This is where you're going to get your "folks with wings and halos". They're the guys and gals in the shining armor, or the trench-coat and noir fedora, or uniform. The monsters look like monsters because the heroes look like... heroes. This covers a lot of ground... from D&D to post-apocalyptic fiction.  

3) Horror themes. Which tend to link back to #2 and overlap - which is great for PAs and probably not bad for DAZ too. The demon-throne in hell is probably attractive to those doing high fantasy renders *and* those doing dark horror renders. 

I don't see a bias toward any one of those generes in particular, I see a bias toward the generes that are in high demand. Do you know how many different suits of armor there are for DAZ between Generation 4 and Genesis 3? How many bladed weapon sets? How many castles, cathedrals, dungeons? How many gothic vampire sets? How many college dorm room props? How many dystopian sets and props? 

Daz content tends to reflect what is very popular in current culture - because that is what is going to sell. 

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

Hah !  Theree of the current Fast Grab Items can be purchased as a bundle that even at full price is cheaper than buying the items at the Fast Grab price laugh

Looking at the promo renders and the SKU - the content is too old and too expensive either way and you're going to want to be good at shaders to bring that content up to iray. :) 

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

@donovancolbert, good point. My college-aged daughter is similar in that she doesn't like a lot of the models, she doesn't like graphic horror, although she just got into Supernatural, so not sure how far she'll go with that. But through the years, she has consistently created horrific images as a big part of her artwork (when not doing anime)... I think your comment about escapist horror is spot-on. The world is a scary place for the younger generations on top of them being desensitized and the world doesn't seem to be getting any better. (Whatever happened the utopian society of Star Trek?) My husband and I recall being terrified by the Wizard of Oz. The witch and the monkeys were terrifying and gave us nightmares. Yeah, these days, I'm sure the littles roll their eyes at how corny, lame, and boring that movie is.

Not to mention, bad and evil are pretty much always portrayed as sexy and appealing. Although Sherlock and a few other shows do give one hope that "smart is the new sexy."

This discussion has been closed.