Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Okay, here's Whitley, currently in Fast Grab. I got her primarily for the morphs, as you know I don't like thin eyebrows, but since people do have them and a variety is need in crowd scenes, she's a nice addition. Or use her morphs with someone else's materials. 

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

I always wonder what happened to "Carnite" who did the D-Former video. She seemed to work for DAZ. 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Novica said:

Holy cow lol!

Yeah, you and I are definitely spending too much time chit chatting on the forums! That number doesn't even make sense, it doesn't match the number of posts for this thread, nada. Wonder what's going on?

Right?  Sheesh!

I will be catching up in the other thread tomorrow and commenting and liking all the gallery renders.  Have to go to bed now, long work day tomorrow so will catch up in the other thread then.

Nothing like forgetting my own tips. I'm back in Thread 6, doing links to you folks renders in that thread (for the Commons thread) and here's a good tip that I forgot!

TIP:  A second tip: if you're trying to find an item in Scene tab and it just won't click easily,  or the darned thing is parented and you want to get to it fast (say a sword in a hand)  select the Surface Tool (the three sheets of paper, above the viewport)  and click on the item (like the sword)  The Scene menu parent  will automatically open up the children, so that item (sword) shows and have it highlighted. Bada bing bada boom. 

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

I've learnt that the vast majority of archery poses here in the daz store are completly wrong. Given that I'm not an archer and have never even held a bow, I wouldn't have a clue, which bugs me. I've learnt to show the poses to my hubby who has been "archering" (ha) since he was a kid and he tells me whether they are correct or not.  

Nath said:

I'm sorry I have to rant a bit. Why do archery poses so often have the arrow on the wrong side of the bow? This set for example: https://www.daz3d.com/i13-epic-archery-collection Yes, it's an oldie, but I see it in new sets - and in movies etc - as well, and it drives me up the wall. I'm hardly a proficient archer, but the first thing I learned was how to hold a bow and how to place the arrow. Hint: the pointy end goes over the hand that holds the bow, not swinging free over the thumb side... Most bows even have a little thingammie in the right place.

Disclaimer: there may be exotic trickshots or techniques that do it differently, and these modern bows where the arrow goes through the middle; well...

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    jakiblue said:

I've learnt that the vast majority of archery poses here in the daz store are completly wrong. Given that I'm not an archer and have never even held a bow, I wouldn't have a clue, which bugs me. I've learnt to show the poses to my hubby who has been "archering" (ha) since he was a kid and he tells me whether they are correct or not.  

Nath said:

I'm sorry I have to rant a bit. Why do archery poses so often have the arrow on the wrong side of the bow? This set for example: https://www.daz3d.com/i13-epic-archery-collection Yes, it's an oldie, but I see it in new sets - and in movies etc - as well, and it drives me up the wall. I'm hardly a proficient archer, but the first thing I learned was how to hold a bow and how to place the arrow. Hint: the pointy end goes over the hand that holds the bow, not swinging free over the thumb side... Most bows even have a little thingammie in the right place.

Disclaimer: there may be exotic trickshots or techniques that do it differently, and these modern bows where the arrow goes through the middle; well...

It's not quite an insta-non-buy for me, but if the pose can't be adapted it's an insta-return.

I try not to think about the many errors there undoubtedly are in things that I don't know anything about, and just hope I don't run into an expert when showing a render laugh

Oh, having fun in Thread 6. Remember this?   So that was back in February 2016. The number of a newbie was 2,823,235 and now I'm off to find a newbie's number so we can see a ballpark of how many new members there are (whether they are on the forums or not, we'll snag the number of a new member who IS on the forum.) 

Okay, so the latest, highest number I've found was April 2017, and that was 2,986,486, which was an increase of 163,251 members (this of course is a ballpark. But WOW)  So Feb/Mar is two months, then from last April, a year. So in 14 months, 163,251 new members, or 11,660 a month. 

Just a fun little tidbit for my thread surfers. And of course, I don't know the exact latest member number, I went by what I could find. So if you hold your mouse over someone's name, you'll get their number. (Look down at the URL in the bottom left of your screen)  So there is, of course, probably a larger number.  (I already tried the Newbie Intro thread and a few posts from the New Users.)

Little ole me is 2,153,969      Jakiblue is 581,743 (you experienced thing you!)   Ice Dragon Art is 2,809,120   DonovanColbert 2,861,236   etc. Kinda fun to do these again.

the worst for me, is when an outfit is almost a direct copy of something from a video game or anime or something like that...and I'm not familiar with it. I buy it, use it, and someone says to me "oh that looks like [insert video game etc] !" and I look it up....and the outfit/prop/whatever is WAY too close for me to feel comfortable. There was a robot here in the store....I bought it cos it was cute, discovered it was ALMOST a direct rip off of a robot in some anime......it got changed a little bit after it was released....and I request a refund because it was just too close for me to be happy with it. It bugs me when that happens, and I'm completely unaware of the original.  

Nath said:
    jakiblue said:

Nath said:

It's not quite an insta-non-buy for me, but if the pose can't be adapted it's an insta-return.

I try not to think about the many errors there undoubtedly are in things that I don't know anything about, and just hope I don't run into an expert when showing a render laugh

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

Hey that's me! Now what?

Congratulations and welcome in the Winner's Club! wink

jakiblue said:

the worst for me, is when an outfit is almost a direct copy of something from a video game or anime or something like that...and I'm not familiar with it. I buy it, use it, and someone says to me "oh that looks like [insert video game etc] !" and I look it up....and the outfit/prop/whatever is WAY too close for me to feel comfortable. 

Like the green Andy  Android?  I mean, this even announced what is was, and HOW this got into the store?  Copyright violation or not? Take a peek. 

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    Novica said:
    jakiblue said:

the worst for me, is when an outfit is almost a direct copy of something from a video game or anime or something like that...and I'm not familiar with it. I buy it, use it, and someone says to me "oh that looks like [insert video game etc] !" and I look it up....and the outfit/prop/whatever is WAY too close for me to feel comfortable. 

Like the green Andy  Android?  I mean, this even announced what is was, and HOW this got into the store?  Copyright violation or not? Take a peek. 

It explains right on the product page:

The poseable Android robot is a based on work created and shared by Google and used according to terms described in the Creative Commons 3.0 Attribution License here:
    http://code.google.com/policies.html#attribution

edited April 2017
    jakiblue said:

the worst for me, is when an outfit is almost a direct copy of something from a video game or anime or something like that...and I'm not familiar with it. I buy it, use it, and someone says to me "oh that looks like [insert video game etc] !" and I look it up....and the outfit/prop/whatever is WAY too close for me to feel comfortable. There was a robot here in the store....I bought it cos it was cute, discovered it was ALMOST a direct rip off of a robot in some anime......it got changed a little bit after it was released....and I request a refund because it was just too close for me to be happy with it. It bugs me when that happens, and I'm completely unaware of the original.  

Nath said:
    jakiblue said:

Nath said:

I'm a bit on the fence about that, because on the one hand copyright... and on the other, if it's something I'm into, fanart; if I don't know because I'm not familiar with the original, meh.

Of course, I don't use my renders commercially, so that angle isn't as much of an issue.

Post edited by Nath on
    edited April 2017

It explains right on the product page:

Bad link kiddo!

Post edited by Novica on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Oh, that is SO COOL!!!! (and surprising.) That vendor was a genius for thinking of it! I wonder how well it sold. (Yep, I have it.) 

I never even saw him! LOL No. It was honey bolt  The long "hair" bits were removed after it hit the store, but I'm just too leery of anything that is so close to another's design. I can't remember what it was a copy of.....some anime robot.....i THINK it was owned by disney too, and no way in heck would I ever want to tangle with disney. 

Novica said:
    jakiblue said:

Novica said:

Oh, that is SO COOL!!!! (and surprising.) That vendor was a genius for thinking of it! I wonder how well it sold. (Yep, I have it.) 

I have it too. Maybe I should use it at least once:)

Nath said:
    Novica said:

We should do shaders and see how unique we can make him. If I get time tomorrow (well, today, it's 3:40am and I gotta snooze, I'm headed to the barn with my neighbor at 11am) I'll try to do something with him and Honey Bolt (Yep, I have that one too. Sheesh, I'm on a roll.) 

edited April 2017

Okay, I know it's going on 4am, but Honey Bolt with the Ceramics for Iray using Raku, is just fun. (This is YOUR fault, Nath. You got me thinkin... I should render what I've got too!)  You can apply Genesis 2 poses and they respond easily (I tried a few, this is Bluemoon Poses for Stephanie 6) 

CLICK TO ENLARGE. 1100 pixels. 

Honey Bolt.png
    463 x 1100 - 603K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Yeah I admit the derivative content bothers me, especially when I don't know it is from a game or show. I sort of stopped playing videogames so I don't know all the latest creatures bots and aliens. I bought a floating bot at another store-not daz and I can't use it because it is from a game. I love that people like games and want to pay homage to that property but please don't sell it as an original creation....

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    edited April 2017

Talking about the bad archery poses... My older set of fantasy bows was a buyout, and I didn't do the promos for them. Imagine my dismay when those promos have possibly the worst archery poses I have seen to date...

https://www.daz3d.com/arcane-archery

Post edited by Valandar on
    Valandar said:

Talking about the bad archery poses... My older set of fantasy bows was a buyout, and I didn't do the promos for them. Imagine my dismay when those promos have possibly the worst archery poses I have seen to date...

Wow, yes...  (and I do have that set, LOL)

Novica said:
    Nath said:
    Novica said:

We should do shaders and see how unique we can make him. If I get time tomorrow (well, today, it's 3:40am and I gotta snooze, I'm headed to the barn with my neighbor at 11am) I'll try to do something with him and Honey Bolt (Yep, I have that one too. Sheesh, I'm on a roll.) 

I've just dug him up from a Poser directory. Time to play...

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited April 2017
    Valandar said:

I had that set too. Love the bows. No idea what's wrong or right in archery. Is there an accurate set of poses available?

@Novica Honey Bolt is cute! I've never seen her before. She's now on my wishlist!

Post edited by Llynara on

Some fun with Andy (and the bitten apples are part of the product LOL)

andy01.jpg
    902 x 902 - 445K
    andy04.jpg
    902 x 902 - 454K
    andy05.jpg
    902 x 902 - 476K
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

LOL! Those are hilarious! Love the disco bots, especially the female. Too cute! 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I would have no clue as to wether the bow pose was right or wrong lol. I will, from now on, keep in mind that the pointy end goes over the hand holding the bow from now on and modify to suit lol.

• FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131
    Novica said:

But the CC license stays with the item, the PA can never hold a copyright on the item, so anyone who bought the model could freely and legally share it with their friends or put in on sharecg for that matter, unless I'm misunderstanding the creative common license. Regardless, risky ground to walk on if you want to make a buck.

Oh those bots are SOOO cute. Great use of shaders! 

Anyone feeling a bit ho-hum with the prices, after the March Madness? I got used to the discounts being applied to the New Releases, so when it's applied to the stores, I'm not really interested. (And it has nothing to do with the quality or selection of the New Releases.) 

I'll get back to rendering those other two things for you (I listed three, then got stuck on one, then we digressed.) 

@Valandar   That was really sweet of you to post that, to call attention to the poses. We'll forgive the transgression  :)   I wouldn't have known it anyway!

Novica said:

Oh those bots are SOOO cute. Great use of shaders! 

Anyone feeling a bit ho-hum with the prices, after the March Madness? I got used to the discounts being applied to the New Releases, so when it's applied to the stores, I'm not really interested. (And it has nothing to do with the quality or selection of the New Releases.) 

I'll get back to rendering those other two things for you (I listed three, then got stuck on one, then we digressed.) 

@Valandar   That was really sweet of you to post that, to call attention to the poses. We'll forgive the transgression  :)   I wouldn't have known it anyway!

Thx:) I think I like the beat up glowy trash can look best, but he's certainly fun to play with (hm... a plushy shader for a kid's toy...)

I think this was the third college dorm set within a few months or so, so I'm underwhelmed (nice as it looks, and certainly different enough from the other two). Oh well, I'll just hang on to what's left on my GC a bit longer.

This discussion has been closed.