CAR AND BIKE LOVERS THREAD - MARK II

Comments

• GLWoodardGLWoodard Posts: 3,335
    edited December 1969

I understand that, however, in this case, the whitewalls were joined with the body, and the radiator, the fenders were tied to an inner part of the tire, just below the treads, I can understand tieing all the chrome together in one mat zone, but the whitewalls on the tires shouldn't be the same color as the body!

• music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited January 2013

betsy662 said:
    I understand that, however, in this case, the whitewalls were joined with the body, and the radiator, the fenders were tied to an inner part of the tire, just below the treads, I can understand tieing all the chrome together in one mat zone, but the whitewalls on the tires shouldn't be the same color as the body!

I used the method I just explained to you, with the model in Sketchup. It took about ten minutes to do and it all exported fine as a whole car, and as individual parts. Both.

So, are you saying that you can redo material zones on a model in Blender? If so...THAT is way too cool!!!!!

:-)

Post edited by music2u4u on
  • edited December 1969

music in blender you can regroup or redo materials as long as you can select a vertice
    and betsy you could seperate the parts into new groups in blender easily if you spend a few minutes and select each piece and then seperate them
    and now with cycles you can render alot better than the internal engine
    since i dont have the model i dont know how badly the modeler confused the mesh but almost anything is possible in blender

edited January 2013

Now...how's this for detail in a Sketchup model? This is rendered straight out of the box. 45 megs.The only change I made was the color of the engine. It was orange. I ripped this one apart and saved a ton of parts as seperate objects for use on other models. I am going to use this frame, running gear, and maybe the engine, along with the blue 32 coupe roadster body. This should be fun.

34FordSedan4.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 77K
    34FordSedan3.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 150K
    34FordSedan2.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 182K
    34FordSedan1.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 107K
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    Now...how's this for detail in a Sketchup model? This is rendered straight out of the box. 45 megs.The only change I made was the color of the engine. It was orange. I ripped this one apart and saved a ton of parts as seperate objects for use on other models. I am going to use this frame, running gear, and maybe the engine, along with the blue 32 coupe roadster body. This should be fun.

I already showed you guys this car, weeks ago! It is a nice 32 Chevy for sure.

edited January 2013

Okay, sorry I didn't get back to ya earlier, but I had to go back to work last night, had last week off for staycation, on the Model A, I looked closely at the car, the detail as has been said is fantastic, however, there were a couple of glaring details that I had to do something about, partly because I have the parts necessary to be able to do this.

The stock model is fine on its base level, however, the radiator shell, and radiator is really a very lousy model in and of themselve's, while not bad considering that the model came out of sketchup, considering the detail and incredible work that went into the car, the artist could have made a better looking radiator shell, as well as a more detailed radiator, I fixed this by using the radiator from my 1929 Ford Woodie, the overall effect is much more realistic.

I also was not satisfied with the tires/wheels, not that they are bad tires n wheels, as models to fit a Model A Ford, they are fine, for a 1930 and 31 model, in 1928 and 1929, Ford used a different wheel, which measured out to 21 inches, they changed both the style of wheel and the size to 19 inches starting with the 1930 models, so again I wanted more accurate wheels that would look right on a 1929 model, which this coupe represents, also, I had separated the bumpers from the car in Blender, as the material zones were somehow connected with the fenders, which would be correct for a truck, but certainly not a car, the cars in 1929 would have left the factory with nickel plated radiator shell, all the brightwork would be nickel plated, especially on a Deluxe Coupe, so after a number of hours working with this car after I got home from work this morning, I was able to put it all back together in DS, added the bumpers, parented everything that needed parenting, then exported the obj, then re-did all the materials, then duplicated the car, it all works now, now one of these days I will pull it all into Blender again, and actually rig the doors, hood and trunk.!

sue_s_model_a_coupe.jpg
    1900 x 1068 - 1M
    still_a_work_in_progress.jpg
    1900 x 1068 - 619K
    Post edited by GLWoodard on
    edited December 1969

Looks super!

edited December 1969

Heres one with the 32 Chevy I had gotten from the Warehouse, this is Sue N Her Ratrod!

One thing that can be done with this particular model in order to make it more of your own model is to change the engine, maybe an old Caddilac or Olds engine, then maybe change the wheels n tires, use some rusty textures, or basic prmer textures as well, and then you would have a true RATROD!

sue_n_her_ratrod00.jpg
    1900 x 1068 - 537K
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    Looks super!

I figure I rig the steering on it before too long, I don't necessarily need opening doors or hoods, but its nice to be able pose the steering, however, that is one very nice engine for sure, as I said before, the detail on this model really is second to none, just those few items really stick out to those of us who love Model A Ford's!

edited December 1969

betsy662 said:
    Heres one with the 32 Chevy I had gotten from the Warehouse, this is Sue N Her Ratrod!

One thing that can be done with this particular model in order to make it more of your own model is to change the engine, maybe an old Caddilac or Olds engine, then maybe change the wheels n tires, use some rusty textures, or basic prmer textures as well, and then you would have a true RATROD!

I think most rat rods had painted rims with baby moon hubcaps on them...lol. Oh and "cheater" slick tires on the back.

edited January 2013

Today I took a few real nice Sketchup models and put together a nice hot rod. I used the Ford body you were working on Betsy, put a 32 Ford frame under it, loaded up the highly detailed 427 SOHC Ford motor and tranny, added disc brakes and my own American mags and treaded tires I made. No white letters on the tires as I have recently been told by a custom car avocate that white lettered tires are now considered OUT in custom cars, added headlights I made myself and a hurst four speed in the floor shifter mounted on the tranny with linkage even. The hood side panels are removable. The detail here is stunning. Every nut and bolt accounted for. It was hard to find just the right stuff to use, I must have gone through 20 body styles trying to decide what year I wanted...lol. I think it turned out pretty good.

MyHotRodDaz5.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 92K
    MyHotRodDaz4.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 84K
    MyHotRodDaz3.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 135K
    MyHotRodDaz2.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 200K
    MyHotRodDaz1.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 119K
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    betsy662 said:

I think most rat rods had painted rims with baby moon hubcaps on them...lol. Oh and "cheater" slick tires on the back.

Oh yeah, but I'm just saying, the body on that 32 Chevy is perfect for a rat rod conversion!

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    Today I took a few real nice Sketchup models and put together a nice hot rod. I used the Ford body you were working on Betsy, put a 32 Ford frame under it, loaded up the highly detailed 427 SOHC Ford motor and tranny, added disc brakes and my own American mags and treaded tires I made. No white letters on the tires as I have recently been told by a custom car avocate that white lettered tires are now considered OUT in custom cars, added headlights I made myself and a hurst four speed in the floor shifter mounted on the tranny with linkage even. The hood side panels are removable. The detail here is stunning. Every nut and bolt accounted for. It was hard to find just the right stuff to use, I must have gone through 20 body styles trying to decide what year I wanted...lol. I think it turned out pretty good.

Looks darn good to me! Need to change the steering wheel, I can tell you for sure stock steering wheels aren't in in the custom cars either!

edited December 1969

i did some work with one of the gta Model AA Ford trucks, this one is really a nice mesh, as are most of what comes from the gta sites, as you can see, it came out pretty decent, there are enough parts that you can have several with different body's on the back.

Late_Night_Delivery_Service00.jpg
    1900 x 1068 - 350K
    model_aa_truck.jpg
    1900 x 1068 - 474K
    edited December 1969

betsy662 said:
    i did some work with one of the gta Model AA Ford trucks, this one is really a nice mesh, as are most of what comes from the gta sites, as you can see, it came out pretty decent, there are enough parts that you can have several with different body's on the back.

Looks pretty good. I like the night sky render with the green model A in the background.

edited December 1969

You can remove the bed, or should I say, beds, and make it into a semi or use different bodies to give the truck different uses, like this one here, I used the expansion for the Steampunk truck, tanker body.

model_aa_tanker.jpg
    1900 x 1068 - 465K
    edited December 1969

I found this 1930 Ford truck on the last page of the DMI site. I think it's new, I have never seen it there before. It is a .lwo file so you need to convert it to an .obj file in Poseray. Looks pretty good.

1930FordTruckDaz1.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 99K
    edited January 2013

music2u4u said:
    I found this 1930 Ford truck on the last page of the DMI site. I think it's new, I have never seen it there before. It is a .lwo file so you need to convert it to an .obj file in Poseray. Looks pretty good.

That doesn't even remotely looke like a Ford, I can't even tell what its supposed to be, but that ain't no Ford!

This is a 1930 Ford Pickup, I do believe the person who created this model, which I got off of one of the gta sites, has a much better idea of what a 1930 Ford looks like!

this_is_a_30_Ford.jpg
    1900 x 1068 - 538K
    Post edited by GLWoodard on
    edited December 1969

ooooo kkkkkk.....it said "1930 Ford Pickup".

http://www.dmi-3d.net/modelscar14.html

3rd row from the bottom.

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:

3rd row from the bottom.

They can call it anything they want, I grew up with vintage Ford pickups, it amazes me that some folks will put anything up, call it a 1930 Ford pickup, there are a lot of cars on the DMI site that aren't really representative of anything, thats just another one where someone took a bunch of different parts, and tried to call it something it definitely isn't!

I have no idea what they made there, but there is nothing on that model that even represents a Ford of any kind, with the exception maybe of the gas cap on top of the cowal!

edited December 1969

betsy662 said:
    music2u4u said:

3rd row from the bottom.

They can call it anything they want, I grew up with vintage Ford pickups, it amazes me that some folks will put anything up, call it a 1930 Ford pickup, there are a lot of cars on the DMI site that aren't really representative of anything, thats just another one where someone took a bunch of different parts, and tried to call it something it definitely isn't!

I have no idea what they made there, but there is nothing on that model that even represents a Ford of any kind, with the exception maybe of the gas cap on top of the cowal!

lol...I have seen some real doozies! Some of them you can't even make out what they are. I was really surprized when Daz store had the 55 classic chevy for sale with the wierd front grill and boxed in rear section. It really looked like a remake over of a Metropolitan Taxi cab!!!!!

That God for GTA cars...lmao.

edited December 1969

LOL! I know thats right, that 55 Chevy was horrible, but for $1.99, that isn't that bad, and there are things it comes in handy for, they did a much better job on the T-Bird wannabe!

It just bugs me sometimes how some call something a Model T or Model A, and its nowhere near anything resembling the real thing, if one is going to make a tooncar, make a tooncar, but don't call that tooncar a Model T!

Yes, Thank God for gta!

• CherokeeCherokee Posts: 292
    edited December 1969

How about a Triumph TR3...well, 2 of them. This isn't National 7's TR2 at Rosity. It's a GTA conversion. Not sure what's going on with the green one on that left front fender. Looks like it needs a good polishing. It's got the same shader as the red one, just changed the color.

TR3_1.jpg
    1147 x 884 - 155K
    edited December 1969

Niiiiiiicccccceeee Cherokee! Gotta link? I had a friend in school who drove a TR6. He ended up trading it for a Fiat 124 sport. Both cars would really hug the curves in a road at high speeds.

link us up here!

edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

Got it!

edited January 2013

music2u4u said:
    Got it!

Cool. I did alot of work on the headlights (they look better in a closer render) and front emblem. Also added the fog lights.

Post edited by Cherokee on
    edited December 1969

Cherokee said:
    music2u4u said:
    Got it!

Cool. I did alot of work on the headlights (they look better in a closer render) and front emblem. Also added the fog lights.

Nice touch!

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    Cherokee said:
    music2u4u said:
    Got it!

Nice touch!

Thanks music. The fog lights came from the Cord.

edited December 1969

I found a few ones I haven't seen. Most sites have the same ones over and over. I got a real nice 1940 Ford SEDAN, a 1962 Dodge Dart w/Hemi, a Jaguar SS100, a 1934 Chevy Dragster, A 1960 American LeFrance Firetruck, a 69 GMC city bus, a 2003 Ford F100 convertible pickup, Speedracer's Mach 5, 70 Mercury Cougar "Eliminator", and a few more. I got them ripped and now I just need to open them in DS and apply the textures, resize and resave.

This discussion has been closed.